rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Self Reflections 1.5 years after leaving the West

After living abroad for nearly a year and half, I recently visited the US for Thanksgiving. So I had a chance to stop and reflect on my journey, and I wanted to share my reflections here.

The past year and half was rich with experiences that I would never even have dreamed of having back in the West. But I also have more questions about what to do with my future than answers.

Coming back to the US was surreal, with some minor bouts of reverse culture shock. Coming from Asia, where storefronts, cafes, houses, and apartments are tightly squeezed together with little or no space in between, seeing so much open space between houses and stores felt strange. I appreciated the peace and quiet — a nice break from the Asian chaos — but I also felt the isolation that I used to feel. Don’t get me wrong, the first world comforts were quite nice. The American food was as greasy, filling, and fattening as ever. Seeing family and friends was cathartic and uplifting.

Sometimes I wondered if I made the right choice… but more on that later.

Now I’ll talk about the highlights of my journey, and some Q&As.

Favorite Highlights of My Journey

* Meeting guys off this forum has been great, especially the BGM meetups. Sometimes we go to the gym together, doing boxing and weightlifting. Craft beer sessions, partying, big sushi or BBQ dinners, and talk of world domination. We have been exchanging business ideas, motivating each other, giving each other advice or pep talks. That alone has proved the worth of this forum. Frankly, I cannot imagine my expat life without RVF and our meetups.

* After barely learning how to ride a scooter in Thailand, I took it up for a day ride up a 4,000 foot mountain on steep and narrow roads with hairpin turns and potholes that could swallow entire cars. Some sections of the road had nothing preventing anyone from going over and taking a fall down the cliffs. One little mistake, forget about it. But the views from the summits were amazing. Oh yeah, and I did get lost on the way back. Only after a few painful minutes of trying to use rudimentary sign language and blurting out a few random Thai words with the locals, did I find my way back to the town. If you told me two years ago that I would be doing this, I would have laughed and called you crazy.

* Visited lots of temples in Thailand, including the Wat Phra Kaew and Grand Palace in Bangkok, Doi Suthep in Chiang Mai (that was an epic ride), Wat Rong Khun (white temple) in Chiang Rai, and the Wat Phra Mahathat in Khon Kaen (where a hot Laotian girl accompanied me). While they were amazing, there were far too many tourists for me to really appreciate them to the max, especially at the Grand Palace and Doi Suthep. I just wanted to take in the peaceful atmosphere that a Buddhist temple has to offer on its quiet days, but I was surrounded by harried tourists with selfie sticks rushing from place to place on a frenetic schedule.

If you have all the time in the world, or you make time for it, you can afford the luxury to just stop, take a deep breath, and really take it in. That makes for a much better travel experience than scurrying from one landmark to another and only having selfies to show for it in the end.

* Went on a backpacking journey through Northern Thailand and Isaan, both with friends and solo.

First, we got a group of friends (pssst Beyond Borders) and drove up to near the Laos border high in the mountains, filled our stomachs with juicy moo kata (Thai BBQ), and drank beer into the wee hours. After only a few hours of sleep, we hiked about 700 meters up the Phu Chi Fa mountain at 4 am. Bundled up in surprisingly cold weather, we walked on a narrow dirt path with slippery rocks with nothing but a small flashlight and a cup of hot coffee. Upon reaching the summit, we witnessed the most glorious sunrise I have ever seen. The morning sun painted the skies with yellow, orange, red and violet hues over a sea of gently rolling clouds with some mountain peaks poking above the cloud layer.

If, in the midst of a cool crisp breeze with the smell of pure fresh air, you could capture that exact moment, absorb it in full, and frame it, it would be one you would look back on and say, “this is when I’ve made it. The world is truly my oyster.”

* For about a year, I had been keeping the girlfriend-in-every-port lifestyle, and it was a huge ego boost. Girls flying in to see me whenever I asked — on their own dime. Whenever I traveled from point A to point B, I would practically land on a soft and cushy bed with a girl every time.

But, to be honest, I found it unsustainable. It took too much time and energy exchanging messages with each, keeping them “warm”, planning the next trips to see each other, and paying airfare and hotels. While it was fun, it became too distracting and drained my time and energy. In the end, I decided to let them all go. Now I’m dating one Vietnamese girl who lives in the same city as I do, and it’s been much better this way. I could focus more on my business and have made more money this year than when I was playing around last year.

* Went fishing with my Vietnamese girl’s father and brother, and helped them harvest avocados, coffee beans, and passion fruit from trees in their farm. Helped them prepare dinner and I learned more Vietnamese in one hour than any other time.

Then my girl and I rode by coffee and tea farms taking in the earthly smell surrounded by mountains. Some of the best coffee I’ve had there was weasel coffee. It’s where weasels would eat the most ripe and juiciest coffee berries, and then they poop the coffee beans out. Somehow their poop preserved and added to the rich flavor of coffee within the beans. I’m not joking. Go ahead and google it.

* Sometimes it really is better when you bring a girl with you to remote places. Traveling with a girl really tells you a lot about her and whether you two are compatible.

Cruised on beach roads on a 125cc bike with my girl in sexy jean shorts hugging me from behind, her hair whipping into the wind. Laid on a remote beach to relax with drinks and crystal clear waters. Drove up the mountains to watch the sunset over dinner.

Dipped into hot mud baths in steamy springs and played footsie with her underneath the gooey mud. Watched her get out of the bath with mud streaming down her butt and legs. After spending a good hour in the hot muddy springs, jumping into the refreshingly cold water under a waterfall really gives a nice energizing jolt to the body.

First World Problems and Third World Problems: A Matter of Perspective

In the third world, particularly in large SEA cities, you have more pollution, traffic, less space, noisier neighbors, and the list goes on. Just going on a grocery store run or making sure your mail gets delivered can get incredibly inconvenient.

Not to mention the corruption and how they apply laws in SEA. The corruption has not directly affected me yet, but it’s only a matter of time. I’ve heard stories.

And health care is a huge one.

Some private clinics are excellent with first-world standards (or even better). They are a bit expensive, but still quite a bit cheaper than in the West.

But in the public or state hospitals, it’s not enough to just say they have an “overcrowding problem”.

These places are packed to the gills with sick patients, overworked medical staff, nauseating scents, agonizing language barriers, and worried family members. You might think you’re mentally steeling yourself for what you might possibly see, but if it’s your first time inside a third world jungle hospital, you will be horrified.

Hallways full of beds with patients so sick they’re slipping in and out of consciousness, having no idea where they are or what’s going on around them. Imagine walking down that hallway, refusing to touch any metal or plastic surface, holding your breath to keep the smell of death out of your nostrils, and going into a small inpatient room with 20 beds, all occupied, with a group of doctors performing open heart surgery right in the middle of the room with all these other patients in there!

Really makes you think.

By moving to a third world country from your home country, you’re essentially trading one set of problems for another. If you have the patience and keep an open mind, and remind yourself why you left in the first place, then you can manage this new set of problems just fine. With the cute and feminine women and a more patriarchal society, it can be worth it. Just get a good health insurance plan and tell all your friends to not let anyone take you to a jungle hospital if anything happened to you.

Developing a social circle is tough in a country that isn’t your own, especially if you’re an introvert like me. Having a crew of forum members in the same city or country, even those just passing through, is invaluable.

Learning the language is also crucial. It will open so many doors that you never knew existed, and that other foreigners will never have access to. If you’re worried about declining foreigner value in the country you’re in, just make the effort to learn the language and you’ll shine. It’s not easy though. Many foreigners take the path of least resistance and bring their entitled attitude with them. It’s really no wonder many locals view foreigners with an undercurrent of disdain lurking just beneath superficial respect and admiration.

I’ve seen how parents discipline their kids out in this part of the world. If they do in the US what they have done, they’d probably be in jail. Parents are the ultimate authority and kids must respect their elders. Any disrespect tends to be met with a quick and decisive smack right across the face. In one case, I’ve witnessed a girl chasing a dog and her father got angry. He clobbered her in the head with a stick, yelled a few angry words, and shoved her into his house. It was a shocking contrast to to how parents “discipline” their children in the West using safe spaces, candy bribes, and empty threats knowing they could be jailed if they actually followed through. It’s really no wonder kids have no respect for their parents in the West.

Is location independence all it’s cracked up to be?

My short answer? Yes and no.

I’ll start with the arguments against location independence, or rather, expatriating to a country that’s not your own.

* Lack of roots. You may make friends with locals, but you will never truly be an “insider”. The only people they consider insiders are those they went to school with and grew up together. Where did you grow up with your friends and maintain lifelong friendships? Your home country. You will always have roots in your home country no matter where you go in the world.

* Relearning a different language and culture than the one you grew up with. Just learning the mannerisms or how to order in restaurants is not enough. You’d have to go deeper into the culture, learn its history, and understand why they do things their way. Many expats I’ve met don’t even bother learning the language and culture. Maybe they’re just lazy, or maybe it’s too difficult? I’m only scratching the surface at the moment.

* Difficult to rebuild your social circles in new places outside of this forum. While this forum is invaluable for maintaining some semblance of a social life while abroad, it’s also important to make friends with locals and develop a local social circle. This way, you have more connections and are more antifragile.

* Can get homesick, especially around the holidays in your home country. Imagine seeing photos of big Thanksgiving dinners on your Facebook feed while you’re cooking a meal at home for yourself, and maybe some random plate you invited over for the night? Not a good feeling.

* Very difficult to open foreign bank accounts if you are an US citizen. Not impossible, but your hunt for a bank willing to work with you can take days, even weeks. The IRS has the entire planet within its chokehold. Many banks don’t even want to bother with Americans because of the onerous IRS reporting rules. I have to report and/or pay tax to the IRS no matter where I am, and I have to look into double taxation agreements in the countries I live in to avoid paying taxes twice on the same income.

And now I’ll go into the pros of location independence:

* Freedom, obviously. If you don’t like a place, you can always go somewhere else. You can travel wherever and whenever to find a place you like, or just for the travel experience.

* Networking on a global scale. You can develop networks anywhere you go and they may open up opportunities for you outside of your own country.

* Can date non-westernized girls from any country you like, in their own home countries. This is a big one for guys like us. Even when we do find success in Western countries using game, it’s often not worth the effort. If you’re location independent, why make things harder on yourself by dating Western women?

* Cost of living arbitrage. If you have a decent business or are making some money, you can always find a place where you can spend less than you earn. As your income goes up, you gain more options on where you can live without draining your savings.

* More socialization and having a more interesting life. In the first world, everything is so structured. Everything seems isolated. People do their own thing. They don’t really interact with each other like they do in Asia. Westerners are very individualist, which can be socially isolating.

* If you miss home, you can always book a plane ticket back.

Am I making money?

Yes, but I have not reached my income targets yet. In the first 6-8 months of living abroad, I was chewing through my savings with no end in sight.

But things started to turn for the better. I began getting clients and they began paying me more than most cheapskates at UpWork. There were even some months I made more money than I spent, so I could save the surplus for slower times.

It’s a slightly uneasy feeling when your income goes up and down at random. But 2017 was a very good year, and I made it through the whole year without chewing through anymore of my savings.

But I would like to at least double my income and maintain more consistency before I say I’m “all set”. Based on what I made for 2017, my goal is to make double that for 2018.

Do I miss America?

Other than family and friends — with that out of the way, I only miss some aspects about America, but not the rest.

* I miss the four seasons.
* I miss being able to go outside for a walk without soaking my clothes in sweat.
* I miss snow, especially big snowstorms that dump tons in my home state every few years.
* I miss the diverse landscape the US has to offer — beaches, mountains, hiking trails, etc.

Other than that, not much else...

* I don’t miss the individualist culture.
* I don’t miss the “me first” mentality.
* I don’t miss the fattening western diet.
* I don’t miss the high cost of living.
* I don’t miss the entitled attitudes of western women (incidentally, their attitudes are even worse when they travel to countries like Thailand or Vietnam, where their SM value is much lower).
* I don’t miss constantly censoring my own words for political correctness.

I’ve also had the chance to catch up with my homies. I’ve long seen them as blue-pilled, but to my delight, they are slowly getting red pilled due to sexual harassment witch hunts and cultural marxism. To my utter delight, they’ve also started complaining about the attitudes of western women and SJWs. For the first time, I felt like I could talk red pill with them without holding back too much or getting flak for it.

Am I ever going to move back to the US?

Not if I can help it, but I’m not permanently ruling it out. Only under extenuating circumstances would I come back. If my mom gets terminally ill, if I have a special needs kid, my business goes belly up with no savings left, and the like.

If I DO come back, it will probably be in a medium sized city with adequate amenities with a moderate cost of living and healthier/fitter people. Places like Denver, Reno, Flagstaff, or Salt Lake City come to mind.

What’s most likely is going to happen is that I will stay in Asia and make enough income to get by for the rest of my life, and start businesses there if possible. I’m warming up to the idea of either getting a second passport or opening a new company offshore, but the financial barrier of entry for a second passport eligible to me seems too high right now. That may change in the distant or even not-too-distant future.

What’s in store for my future?

Honestly, I’m already thinking about moving to a 2nd or 3rd tier city just to get away from the pollution and traffic.

Things change a lot in Asia. I’m getting a bit concerned about increasing Western influence as feminism may be starting to creep in. Still, I’m considering the possibility of marrying and raising a family outside of the US. If I decide to marry and have a family in Asia, then that opens a bunch of whole new questions. Will we have enough money to support our kids, especially when they go to school? Will my wife stay at home or work, or both? Should I teach my wife how to start a business so she could stay at home with the kids as well? I don’t like the idea of my wife being a housewife who does nothing at home. I want her to do something. Then there’s also the question of whether we should stay or go back to the US. It’s easy enough to say “I’ll cross that bridge when I get to it” but it’d be nice to think things through first.

However, I’m also leaving open the possibility of staying single for the rest of my life if my current relationship doesn’t work out.

The cost of living in developing countries, while low for now, may increase in the future, so my income would also have to increase to keep pace. If I decide to raise a family in Asia, my primary concern would be education and healthcare. But that’s at least a year or two away, if ever.

Don’t be surprised to hear of me moving to a smaller 2nd or 3rd tier city within the next year or so. The older I get, the more peace and quiet I want. In the meantime, I will start working on becoming more antifragile when it comes to finances.

Knowing what I know now, what would I have done differently?

Not much, actually. I might have given myself more time to travel to other places like Japan, EE, Bali, etc.

One thing I would have done differently is to really school myself on expat taxes. What’s taxable and what’s not. Which types of incomes fall under the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion, and which types don’t.

I might have been more aggressive early on about setting up a second overseas business with an offshore bank account.

Other than the financial and tax stuff, there’s really not that much I would have done differently. I was well prepared for this. I kind of knew what to expect out of becoming an expat.

Do I recommend doing what I did?

It depends. But but if you do, don’t do it just for the girls. Do it for the right reasons.

Also don’t do it because you are trying to “escape” something — be it family problems, cultural rot, terrible women, or cultural marxism.

You don’t want to run while looking behind you. You need to look ahead. You need to have something to look FORWARD to. Banging lots of women doesn’t count.

Even if you just want to learn more about yourself in unique or unfamiliar situations, learn how to bootstrap your business in a lower cost of living area, or gain travel experience and good memories, those are much better reasons than girls.

This was a huge huge gamble I took, and it still remains to be seen whether it paid off. So far things are looking good.

A lot of soul searching going on here and planning for the future.

My how things have changed for you since first talking to you on the forum.

Great advice and questions for those who want to move abroad or entertain the idea.

Wish I could rep you a few times more.

Wish you the best Slate, you deserve it !

Quote:Quote:

Hallways full of beds with patients so sick they’re slipping in and out of consciousness, having no idea where they are or what’s going on around them. Imagine walking down that hallway, refusing to touch any metal or plastic surface, holding your breath to keep the smell of death out of your nostrils, and going into a small inpatient room with 20 beds, all occupied, with a group of doctors performing open heart surgery right in the middle of the room with all these other patients in there!

Finally, someone who gets the compare and contrast. Breath of fresh air after the article the other day of the dude complaining about bagging his own groceries; that's not a real problem worth complaining about.

I always miss the states when I leave and I'm always happy to return. The key is having the same lifestyle here as I do abroad. I contribute my happiness in the states to having great friends from the forum and off, and hitting the gym as much as possible; if you decide on Denver, it'll be good to have you around and all the dudes here will welcome you with arms open. Women here are just as obtainable as overseas, it just takes more effort and physical self-improvement instead of contributing attraction to game.

In the end, wherever you go, there you are.

A great insight into life outside the west that has left me contemplating the areas you touched on. Thanks for the really good read.

Good post
Lots of travellers sit confused with feet in multiple countries wondering what is right for the remaining time of life (healthy time and personal shelf life)
My number one rule is if I'm selling myself on a country...it isn't right for me and try find another area in that country (which the poster has done) that suits or find another country.

Should the poster do as he originally planned (Travel more to more countries)

I think so.
Personally I like to look for vibrant cultures. Places like Manila technically are vibrant but to the point of sensory overload (horror is a better word) and full of pollution (and sweat) just dodging traffic made it vibrant. He also saw what many travellers don't really want to know about... the underbelly (healthcare).

The EE and places in S.A has the snow the mountains the seasons...I also missed the seasons and it was incredible how quickly I bonded to a country just because of the weather! (and equivalent exchange rates as philippines) As a Canadian the further north I go with my hockey stick the better (jus me though)

Guys with adult kids and aging parent(s) is a deal breaker for SEA (for me) the time it takes to get back..the jet lag...the cost...the planning...makes it a forgone conclusion your going to sit in a AirBnB/Hotel and do the ...WHAT IF's....for me it drives me nuts and taints my selfish experience...making how I look at my new found surroundings badly.

Japan as the poster pointed out is a easier range and Denver has a airport hub probably with daily flights. (still about 10-12 hours)

My planning has moved to 6 to 8 hour flights max and nonstop (and daily flights preferred). I am now comfortable being away for long term...jet lag is low to none.

There are thousands (millions?) of Asian chicks in the west already if I really really wanted one....I just go to a mall here...maybe Denver has a chinatown! (Toronto actually has that and Koreatown and little italy...e.t.c)

If a RVF'r is single with minor family issues then SEA would be "an interesting place" for a permanent stay...one reason is easy residency rules (in some countries). Starting a family (if you want kids and don't already have too many of your own) is a HUGE decision and cements a traveller into place (usually an out of the way place in the jungle near a small town..from the Ex-Pat u-tube videos I watched..lmao)

Lasty..Long Flight heebie jeebies....that fatigue makes me shudder getting into an aluminum tube....my turn around time is months...with the EE and S.A I'm booking a flight pretty much after touching down at the airport. This also saves me from post travel disorder because I'm not sticking around ....just in town long enough to check on things and visit.

Anyways random musings to a good thread post.

Great real talk. Thanks as always for the great write-up and contributions. As Kaotic said, I'd double-rep you if possible! It is really important before making such major life choices to lay out a list of what really matters to you most and pursue a path most likely to find you congruent with those stated goals.

John Michael Kane's Datasheets: Master The Credit Game: Save & Make Money By Being Credit Savvy
Boycott these companies that hate men: King's Wiki Boycott List

Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value. -Albert Einstein

I've recently sat down to think about the 5 years I spent in the UK and was tempted to go back for the same reasons CS misses the states.

Guess we cant have it all. In the end, i'd probably do the Chinese thing of owning properties in a few countries and spend few months between them haha.

If you get sick of the hustle and bustle, drop by Penang yeah CS, beers getting warm waitin on ya...

Great post OP, thanks for sharing your thoughts with us.

Great post man, just hit the 1.5 year mark myself...might need to do something similar.

Great to hear this as I too just hit the 1.5yr mark.

Mine was all in EE and overall it's been more fun than my last 16 years combined. Flying back at the end of Jan to see family, then increase my monthly income over a good 3 months before heading off for an Asia jaunt, such as yours. That's the plan anyway. Increasing my monthly income may take longer, but I want a good pillow of cash to fall on. Writing this in Prague and feeling real good about my life now, but not coasting either. The thing a lot of countries lack is the work ethic and I actually miss being down in the trenches. I have a whole new appreciation for my USDs and the power they wield

I recently read a few highly rated books and will share them here:

The Compound Effect
The Slight Edge
Built to Sell

The first two are similar in their brutal-wake-up-call approach, which I needed. Great for lighting a fire and dissolving all 'vague goals' (which hang like a cloud) and defining the good ones, worth chasing. The third is pretty specific and a nice peak behind the curtain of biz aquisition. I'm looking for more awesome books btw, so feel free to chime in

You don’t miss the American/western style food? A good subway sandwich? Good Mexican? Good pizza? Good Chinese? Good Texas’s BBQ? Etc. that’s the first thing I look forward to when I get home from the developing world, the variety of the food

Quote: (12-02-2017 02:51 PM)LoveBug Wrote:  

You don’t miss the American/western style food? A good subway sandwich? Good Mexican? Good pizza? Good Chinese? Good Texas’s BBQ? Etc. that’s the first thing I look forward to when I get home from the developing world, the variety of the food

Not only that but the grocery stores and convenience of getting anything you want. As much as people like to complain about how unhealthy american food is, if you're looking to be healthy then the US is the best place in the world to get what you need in order to have a nutritious diet.

Quote: (12-02-2017 04:09 PM)Shimmy Wrote:  

Quote: (12-02-2017 02:51 PM)LoveBug Wrote:  

Not only that but the grocery stores and convenience of getting anything you want. As much as people like to complain about how unhealthy american food is, if you're looking to be healthy then the US is the best place in the world to get what you need in order to have a nutritious diet.

They have lots of Western food out here, too. If I wanted a good meaty burger or a pizza loaded with cheese and toppings, I know where to go. BBQ? Yep, that too. Mexican? I know a good place or two. Italian? I have a favorite not more than a klick from where I live. And there are a few gourmet stores where I can pick up some cheeses, olives, spreads, kefir, and stuff like that. Granted, these come at a premium price-wise, but it’s all there so I don’t miss these.

As for eating healthy, you can do it just as good or even better here. You just have to ask the locals (or your girl) where and what is clean or not, where to buy it, and how to cook it. Plus there are cheap smoothie places where they use real fruits, veggies, and organic ingredients. They even ask you if you want any sugar added, to which I say no, of course.

Quote: (12-01-2017 03:00 PM)CleanSlate Wrote:  

One thing I would have done differently is to really school myself on expat taxes. What’s taxable and what’s not. Which types of incomes fall under the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion, and which types don’t.

I might have been more aggressive early on about setting up a second overseas business with an offshore bank account.

Other than the financial and tax stuff, there’s really not that much I would have done differently. I was well prepared for this. I kind of knew what to expect out of becoming an expat.

I highly recommend to check out Stuart Patton over at ustax.biz for this expat taxes. Dude knows what the eff he is talking about.

Bangkok is extremely easy to eat healthy with ubereats and prices are rock bottom. Not hard at all to eat healthy there.

As always a pleasure to hear you're doing well and to hear your experiences.

Keep fighting the good fight.

[Image: source.gif]

"Until the day when God shall deign to reveal the future to man, all human wisdom is summed up in these two words,— 'Wait and hope'."- Alexander Dumas, "The Count of Monte Cristo"

Fashion/Style Lounge

Social Circle Game

Team Skinny Girls with Pretty Faces
King of Sockpuppets

Sockpuppet List

Quote: (12-01-2017 08:05 PM)Incubus Wrote:  

Good post
Lots of travellers sit confused with feet in multiple countries wondering what is right for the remaining time of life (healthy time and personal shelf life)
My number one rule is if I'm selling myself on a country...it isn't right for me and try find another area in that country (which the poster has done) that suits or find another country.

Should the poster do as he originally planned (Travel more to more countries)

I think so.
Personally I like to look for vibrant cultures. Places like Manila technically are vibrant but to the point of sensory overload (horror is a better word) and full of pollution (and sweat) just dodging traffic made it vibrant. He also saw what many travellers don't really want to know about... the underbelly (healthcare).

The EE and places in S.A has the snow the mountains the seasons...I also missed the seasons and it was incredible how quickly I bonded to a country just because of the weather! (and equivalent exchange rates as philippines) As a Canadian the further north I go with my hockey stick the better (jus me though)

Guys with adult kids and aging parent(s) is a deal breaker for SEA (for me) the time it takes to get back..the jet lag...the cost...the planning...makes it a forgone conclusion your going to sit in a AirBnB/Hotel and do the ...WHAT IF's....for me it drives me nuts and taints my selfish experience...making how I look at my new found surroundings badly.

Japan as the poster pointed out is a easier range and Denver has a airport hub probably with daily flights. (still about 10-12 hours)

My planning has moved to 6 to 8 hour flights max and nonstop (and daily flights preferred). I am now comfortable being away for long term...jet lag is low to none.

There are thousands (millions?) of Asian chicks in the west already if I really really wanted one....I just go to a mall here...maybe Denver has a chinatown! (Toronto actually has that and Koreatown and little italy...e.t.c)

If a RVF'r is single with minor family issues then SEA would be "an interesting place" for a permanent stay...one reason is easy residency rules (in some countries). Starting a family (if you want kids and don't already have too many of your own) is a HUGE decision and cements a traveller into place (usually an out of the way place in the jungle near a small town..from the Ex-Pat u-tube videos I watched..lmao)

Lasty..Long Flight heebie jeebies....that fatigue makes me shudder getting into an aluminum tube....my turn around time is months...with the EE and S.A I'm booking a flight pretty much after touching down at the airport. This also saves me from post travel disorder because I'm not sticking around ....just in town long enough to check on things and visit.

Anyways random musings to a good thread post.

In answer to the question - There are thousands (millions?) of Asian chicks in the west already if I really really wanted one....I just go to a mall here...maybe Denver has a chinatown! - no.

There is, however, an area with a strong immigrant Vietnamese presence: South Federal Avenue.

Just google Vietnamese restaurants - this area has the most gritty and authentic ones!

It is labeled "Little Saigon" in the ultra useful and decidedly un-PC "Judgemental Denver" map, HERE: [Image: tumblr_mhi7snNxwz1s4df8ko2_r2_1280.jpg]

“There is no global anthem, no global currency, no certificate of global citizenship. We pledge allegiance to one flag, and that flag is the American flag!” -DJT

[quote] (12-02-2017 06:26 PM)CleanSlate Wrote:  

[quote='Shimmy' pid='1693032' dateline='1512248942']
[quote='LoveBug' pid='1692989' dateline='1512244315']
As for eating healthy, you can do it just as good or even better here. You just have to ask the locals (or your girl) where and what is clean or not, where to buy it, and how to cook it. Plus there are cheap smoothie places where they use real fruits, veggies, and organic ingredients. They even ask you if you want any sugar added, to which I say no, of course.[/quote]

I'm sure you can probably get anything you want grocery wise in Vietnam if you want to spend all day tracking it down and spending a premium, then tracking down whatever you can't find by asking people and ordering online, in the US a simple trip to costco can get me the highest quality groceries I've bought out of any country I've ever been to and at a much lower price and I'm in and out in less than an hour.

Last time I was in Hanoi I had to ask around to find a specialty store that sold peanut butter because the grocery stores didn't sell it and walk 20 minutes there and back. Last time I was in Da Nang I had to find a market to buy eggs because the large grocery store did not sell eggs. Vietnam has the best and most convenient street food on the planet, but their grocery stores are some of the worst I've been to.

Met you twice in HCM and you have always been welcoming, patient and friendly to a young guy like me. Your stories are an inspiration for someone who's preparing to leave my home country for college abroad and possibly work after that overseas as well.

Also, thank you for taking the time to meet up for coffee even though I met you the day prior to your flight back for thanksgiving haha. Have a good Christmas my friend.

Funny you beat me to this. Back in June, I hit my second year as an expat in China. Leaves me brimming with thoughts about the entire thing.

I will be checking my PMs weekly, so you can catch me there. I will not be posting.

Great write up, CS - thank you for sharing your full perspective. I got to experience two months in Poland a few years back and did a daily commute from outside the city into town (drove my girl's hoopty car). Made friendly with locals, practiced and picked up nouns / nuances. I found the experience of having one girl after a week of gaming to give me roots and confidence to explore the city / area and get a real feel for it as you describe. The special memories of bonding to a caring, fun, and passionate woman shifted my consciousness. Coming to terms with pros and cons helps your really see what you're made of and what / who matters to you.

Nice read! Thanks for all the info and the contrasts.
One thing I find highly useful for building a social circle, making "friends" and increasing your level of comfort are team sports. Anything from soccer, volleyball, basketball, football (this can be hard to find at times) etc.
I play basketball and wherever I go I always take a ball with me, then I go to one of the local courts and play with players from the city. After 2 or 3 days max I'll have made "friends", simply because when you play team sports you run through a whole range of emotions. Just think about it, where else could you get this in such a short amount of time?: the high fives, working together, celebrating a victory, being angry about a loss, people "complimenting" you, people insulting or disrespecting you etc.

And people will also want to know you name, then they'll ask where you're from, what you think of the city, you'll get a chance to talk about yourself and get props if you make an effort to learn the language.
And it just kind of develops from there with the facebook friendships, hanging out etc.

Thanks everyone for the kind words. If at anytime you find yourself in Vietnam, let me know and we'll go for a beer.

Quote: (12-02-2017 11:09 PM)ZAMSKI Wrote:  

I highly recommend to check out Stuart Patton over at ustax.biz for this expat taxes. Dude knows what the eff he is talking about.

I'll definitely have to check that out before the upcoming tax season, thanks!

Quote: (12-02-2017 11:31 PM)Putin Closes Wrote:  

Bangkok is extremely easy to eat healthy with ubereats and prices are rock bottom. Not hard at all to eat healthy there.

I'll try that here and see how that works out. Thanks, Putin!

I've got a buddy who really needs to read this thread.

Thanks!

G

It's interesting the lenses through which we view experiences in new countries.

For the first little while, for someone who really needed a change, even a completely sucky place will be awesome, just because it's a needed change of pace.

Then for the intermediate period, the first two or three years (and perhaps longer for some), you still very much judge the new place by comparing it to the place that you are most familiar with, typically your home country.

In this phase, the flaws of one original location will stand out stronger as will the advantages of a new place.

When your tenure becomes long term, probably after 4 or 5 years for most, I think most will cross a psychological line where they start to judge the place where they are living based on its own merits.

I recently met up with a guy I know here in Beijing for lunch. He'd recently gotten married and so I commented that it was like he was systematically checking off the boxes...college degree, stable job, marriage, kids...one by one. He didn't respond well to that suggestion, because he's from a really boring part of the USA where few people ever go anywhere, so it his mind, he's still leading a grand adventure and his lifestyle is completely out of the ordinary. I think it's no surprise that he's been here in China for roughly three years.

I suspect that in a year or two, he'll start to acknowledge that his actually peers are the other expats in Beijing, not the people back in his hometown who he hasn't interacted with in years. But for the present, his point of reference is still his hometown. Once he makes the mental switch to using Beijing as a reference point, he may suddenly feel inclined to go seek new adventures (or he'll be so perfectly trapped in the need to support his family that he'll have to pursue stability over adventure). But for the moment, due to his reference point, in his own mind he is living a grand adventure, even though the actual circumstances of his life in Beijing are far less adventurous than most of his expat peers in Beijing.

The cross over into the long term mentality changes one's calculations somewhat and you may wonder if you'd changed one boring existence for another boring existence. In the first couple phases of a person's journey abroad, even a visit to the local convenience store is an exciting adventure, but after several years, it's just a pain in the ass.

I remember taking the subway during my first year in Beijing. It was great fun. Now that I have to take it as a matter of course just to get from point A to point B in the cold winter months, it's just an exhausting experience.

Enjoy the experience, but keep in mind that as the experience develops, different interpretations of your experience and different priorities may rise to the surface. For example, living eternally on temporary visas with no hope of ever being able to work legally (without being completely dependent on the company that issues your work-visa) is not all that much fun year after year. Given that Asian countries are so protectionist when it comes to employing foreign workers, this is definitely something that will become an issue for most long term expats. Even marrying a local will not solve this problem entirely. In China, marrying a local just gets your 10 year tourist visas essentially (eventually, you don't qualify for them right away) and those don't give you the legal right to work. I suspect that Vietnam is probably somewhat similar.

For me, this very issue has led to a real focus on examining countries based on their suitability for long term living on legal terms. Taiwan and Malaysia currently stand out, but even in those places, the prospects are poor compared to what a Western country offers newcomers.

There's a reason why people in the third world will absolutely jump at the opportunity to move to the first world, despite the numerous problems with the first world that have people like myself and Cleanslate seeking greener pastures. The longer you stay, the more likelihood there is that some of these reasons may become more pressing realities.

It's no shock that most Western expats head back home sooner or later.

I'm the King of Beijing!