rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Attracting Girls Online: A Guide to Good Photos, Why They Matter, and How To Get Them

Attracting Girls Online: A Guide to Good Photos, Why They Matter, and How To Get Them

When it comes to online game, guys spend 99% of their time talking about 1% of things that matter.

Guys talk about openers, the culture of online dating, which cities are best for Tinder, texting, what to put in their profile, what to do if a girl goes cold, etc.

Those things tally up to about 1% of what’s important in online game.

What makes up the other 99%?

Exactly ONE thing.

Your photos.

There are 7,700 posts and 2.3 million views between the Tinder and OKC threads, and yet nobody is talking about photos. There are even now multiple threads about bots that guys have built in order to get more matches online. This is missing the point entirely, and demonstrates a lack of game knowledge. Many guys still think that if you spit a few lines then girls are going to line up to fuck you.

In my opinion, if you don’t have professional photos, then you haven’t tried online game. You showed up to the stadium but you’ve been sitting in the locker room the entire game, talking about the weather.

Laugh if you want, but online game (Tinder specifically) is the real deal. Models, actresses, and hot, horny 19-year-old college girls around the globe are using Tinder to get laid. If you want to fuck them, you need to get your shit together. That selfie from the bar in 2009 just isn't going to cut it; I don’t care how clever your bio is.

This is the golden age of easy pussy and you're blowing it with shitty photos.

So I’m going to break it down for the forum, and show you why good photos matter, give you examples, then walk you through getting your own high-quality photos taken.

What this thread is not: a debate about whether looks matter. That’s been discussed ad nauseam on the forum, so please don’t bring it up here.
What this thread is: how to look like your BEST self in photos, and why it matters.

The vast majority of guys doing online game fail to understand that girls are EMOTIONAL creatures. Girls respond to emotional stimuli and with online dating, that stimuli is visual. Online dating is NOT your canned opener, your witty profile, your age, your location, or whether you have a six-pack. It’s whether or not the girl FEELS something when she first sees you.

To get girls online, you need to stimulate them visually. You need to hook them with an interesting image. NOT an image of you doing something interesting, but a photo of you that is itself interesting.

That is the key difference.

It's *very* different than saying you need to be attractive. Being attractive is great, but nothing trumps a photograph that evokes an emotion, and you don't need to be attractive to do that.

Need proof?

----------

I’m going to kick things off with a picture of one of the ugliest known humans on the planet: Steve Buscemi. His face is a train wreck, he’s scrawny, and he generally looks like a 13-year old boy trapped in a 65-year old man’s body. Or maybe the other way around. Either way, he’s fucked.

Here is what he looks like when caught off guard:

[Image: MTIwNjA4NjMzNTY5NjQxOTk2.jpg]

Not so good, eh?

BUT, put him in a tailored suit, get him with a professional photographer that understands lighting, and he turns into the most interesting looking man in the world:

[Image: qmRxzWM.png]

All of a sudden, the ugliest person known to man transforms into a person that looks like a guy you’d want to meet, and who generally doesn’t give a shit what you think of him.

For a girl, he turns into a man that they want to figure out: “Who is this guy? Why is he wearing that? Why doesn’t he look like all the other guys I know? Who took the photo?” etc.

THAT is what I’m talking about with “visual stimulation.” A good photo gets the hamster spinning. He’s still an ugly motherfucker, but the photograph is interesting in and of itself, and that’s all you need to hook a girl online. The fact that he’s ugly doesn’t even register in the girls head - they’re interested because he makes them FEEL something. In this case, it’s intrigue. How could you see that photo and not want to know more about this guy? Game is still paramount, but not if you can't hook girls in the first place.

-----------

Here is what most guys look like online:

[Image: Ienasre.jpg]

That's a pretty sorry lot. I can hear the pussy drying up from here. Looks like the most boring, average crew of guys out there. They might not be, but their photos certainly won't be getting any girls hooked.

1. Abs guy with low quality photo. Thinks that girls want to fuck because he has a 6-pack. Cliche gym photo. Misses all the subtlety of game principles.

2. Outdoorsy nerdy guy. Girls probably like this guy in real life, but his photo makes him look like a dweeb. Weird angle, low quality image. Is that a bow and arrow in his hand? Come on.

3. Dude might be attractive, but he’s alienating girls with the weird dog pic, and is hiding his entire body. Bad lighting too - his skin looks orange. What’s in the background, is he at a wedding? Seems like a dime-a-dozen bar bro. Why would a girl want to meet him?

4. Average looking dude with a stupid car selfie and hiding a man’s most important features: his eyes. Nothing interesting in this photo AT ALL. Why would anyone want to talk to him? Hell, he doesn’t even have a cool dog.

-----

Let’s contrast this with another photo of the infinitely ugly Steve Buscemi:

[Image: uN8irMh.jpg]

Now, that is a cool looking dude! The photo is crisp and high quality, indicating that he is a high quality man. His presence is dominating, he looks different than other guys out there, he’s dressed well, his expression is intriguing, and most importantly: he’s not trying too hard. He’s just a cool looking motherfucker and you can feel his vibe through the image.

With a photo like that, do you think his online dating profile would need a witty bio? Or a clever high-energy opening line? No way. That shit is irrelevant, because in that one single photo, he looks more interesting than every other guy in a 50 mile radius.

So let’s recap:
- Girls are emotional creatures.
- Therefore, you have to hook girls emotionally.
- Online, the only way to do that is visually.
- Therefore, you need photos that are visually interesting and evoke emotion.
- Game and building attraction comes in after you have hooked them; just like the real world. But if you don’t hook, you don’t have an opportunity to build attraction.

Conclusion: GET PROFESSIONAL PHOTOS!

----------

Hopefully, you’re convinced that you don’t need to be a model to look interesting in photos. If Steve Buscemi can do it, so can you. If you’re uglier than him, check out RVF’s own game success story from a guy who is *medically* facially disfigured, and learn how even he is able to bang girls! "Game Works, Even for the Facially Disfigured"

Naturally, you need a good photographer to get good photos. A lot of guys think “professional photos” means getting your headshot taken like you did for the college yearbook, with a photographer who is 60 years old and overweight. That’s NOT what I’m talking about here. I’m also NOT talking about photoshop, deceiving photos, digital manipulation, etc.

I’m talking about photographers that can bring out your best qualities in a single image. Photographers that are fashionable themselves, and that pay attention to modern trends in style and imagery, since that is their job. It’s not easy, but there are capable photographers in every city in the world. Instagram has lowered the perceived value of photographers, but you still can’t beat a professional at his own game.

----------

Types of photos you can get:
It’s important that your photos are congruent with your personality. The Steve Buscemi example is a good example for someone who is naturally an introvert, mysterious, etc.

But maybe that’s not your style. Maybe you are a high-energy guy, or a nerdy guy, and so you need to get images that reflect your vibe and aren’t projecting a fake version of you.

I’ve decided to take those 4 Tinder images above, and find professionally taken photographs of guys that look like them.

You can decide for yourself which photos are going to attract more girls.

-----
Shirtless guy looks like a dumbass in the gym. But he's got a great body, so no point in hiding it. Do it right and he's got a panty-wetting photo that doesn't make him look like a tool:

[Image: ikJ8LlB.jpg]

-----
A clean, well shot image of the outdoorsy guy would do him wonders. Let girls find out later what hobbies he has:

[Image: D1YvnQu.jpg]

-----
Bar bro transforms into a cool dude when you put him in a sharp looking coat and get him into the daylight:

[Image: K0rlr50.jpg]

-----
Average Joe doesn't have a lot to work with, but get him in some fresh clothes, and in an interesting location, and all of a sudden he looks like a guy that hipster girls in his area would be down to meet up for drinks with:

[Image: 0gXU4sR.jpg]

----------

How to find a photographer:
You don't want a traditional “portrait photographer.”

You do want a Fashion or an Editorial photographer. Fashion portraits are what you mostly see in Calvin Klein ads and things like that. Editorial portraits are what you see in magazines like GQ and Esquire. By definition, Editorial Portraits are portraits that tell a story about a person. Those are the photographers you want to have taken, because a photo that tells a story is a photo that evokes emotion in girls; whether that be interest, laughter, intrigue, etc. The important thing is that the photo tells something about you.

Like I said, these types of photographers exist in every city in the world.

Google is the easiest way to find them:

Type in [your city] + “editorial photographer”
i.e. “Boston Editorial Photographer”

Click on a bunch of links, and find a photographer whose work you think is interesting. Read their “about me” page and decide if this person is someone you would get along with for a couple hours.

Pick up a couple issues of GQ or Esquire, and decide if the photographer you’re looking at could pull off the high-quality work seen in these magazines. OR, think about how you would look in one of their photos, and decide if that is a good style for you. If their work falls short, find someone else.

Once you find someone, email them and tell them what you like about their work. Photographers are ego driven like the rest of us, and if they know you took the time to look through their work, they are going to treat you like more than just another client.

Then tell them you are doing online dating, and you want to get photos that show your best qualities. If you’re not comfortable doing that, then tell them you want photos for your social media accounts, your blog, your website, etc.

How much it's going to cost you:
For 3-5 final photos, and 2 outfit changes, you're looking at $250-$375 in 2nd tier cities (Boston, Seattle, S.F., etc) and $400-$600 in 1st tier cities (NYC/LA/Miami).

That money will get you 2 hours with a photographer, in a mutually agreed location, and you’ll end up with 3-5 high quality digital photos, and you’re free to use those photos however you want.

Some of you will say: “That’s expensive, can’t I just hire a college student to do the photos?” Of course you can! You can also buy a salad at Burger King, but don’t be disappointed if it doesn’t live up to your expectations.

What to expect before the shoot:
You and your photographer will talk about what you want out of the portraits, as that influences the results.

Turn to them for ideas on a location for the shoot. They should have their city on lockdown, and they’ll know where to take you.

What to expect during the shoot:
During the shoot, the photographer will tell you how to pose, where to sit, whether or not to smile, etc. Just show up, and they’ll do the heavy lifting here. You don’t have to be a model and do crazy poses, they’ll quickly feel you out and decide what is going to look best for your vibe and personality.

Questions to ask the photographer before you hire them:
- What is the final cost, and how many digital images do I get?
- How many outfit changes will I be able to do?
- How should I prepare for the shoot? (grooming, clothes, props, etc.?)
- How many locations will we be shooting in?
- What types of portraits will you take? (i.e. full length, head shot, seated, standing, etc. You will want a variety.)
- Are you bringing an assistant?
- How long will the shoot take?
- What types of clothing (color, patterns, styles, etc.) should I wear?
- What happens if I don’t like the photos?
- Are you going to share the photos in your portfolio? (most photographers will share recent work on their social media - you might not be comfortable with this, so clear it up at the beginning)

Those are all valid questions, and the answers will determine if you want to hire that photographer for the shoot.

----------

Conclusion:
I know a lot of you are probably still skeptical. Or you think getting photos taken is lame, or corny, or that you don’t need to do it.

If you want to make those arguments, then that’s fine. Go ahead and do what every other guy is doing, and report back your results. I’m sure they will be average.

But, if you want to have girls *opening you* online, and if you want those girls to be attractive, then go get professional photos taken.

The money spent will directly pay dividends in the form of pussy. And you simply can't find a better investment than that!

This is masterfully done Sevens, a labor of love and full of expert, detailed and actionable advice. Kudos, and +1 rep point from me.

same old shit, sixes and sevens Shaft...

A few more quick tips to help produce better photos:

-Employ the squinch (a semi-squint involving the bottom eyelid)
-Accentuate your jawline (make it appear as defined as possible by pushing your head slightly forward and down while keeping the forehead up)
-Try to avoid looking directly into the camera
-If you have to look at the camera, appear disinterested & judgmental
-Avoid posing while holding a drink at your chest
-Avoid leaning in towards someone
-Avoid smiling in general; instead smirk or look disinterested
-Position the camera so it is slightly looking up to you
-Stand contraposto (shift weight on one leg)
-If sitting, open legs wide and attempt to take up space

Great thread. I have been wondering about this myself- Hire a professional photographer who knows what hes doing since Ive been looking pretty bad in most of the pictures of me. I want to show off to my friends how good I actually would look.

I wonder where the line between this and narcissism is, though. But with todays smartphone culture and everyone artificially trying to get the best pictures of themselves(I mean, a selfie isnt "natural", compared to having someone else, even a stranger take photos), I cant help but think that this would just blur the line even further between our "real" selves and our fake online persona that our images convey. I would be partially concerned if this becomes standard, that everyone would feel the need to hire a professional to take their pictures. Everyone would look a lot better online, but we would still be the same people we really were on the inside.

I think girls would benefit more from this than guys would, given how guys are much more visual. We regularly demonise girls for being too narcissistic and addicted to attention whoring and trying to push this fake persona online- so I wonder how it would affect girls brains, behavior and femininity- if this sort of thing becomes commonplace. Its the logical conclusion to attention whoring- why do it yourself badly when you can have a professional do it beautifully?

Sevens, this is a tremendous post. Optimizing and calibrating pictures is something that's been a long term project of mine. I'm constantly refining and playing with small elements just to see what slight variances can do.

I may post blurred versions of my current pics and their shitty predecessors, but for now I'll stick to qualitative descriptions. Hopefully they're good enough to get the point across.

My first one used to be a picture of me in a club with my arm around a friend. We're both soaked in sweet, smiling like retards, with terrible lighting. I cringe when I think that there was a time I thought it was acceptable.

I have replaced it with a picture of me standing behind a bar. Navy blazer, pink shirt, white tie, blazer unbuttoned, tie slightly loose. (style gurus please advise, this is one of the areas I'm playing with) I'm holding a highball glass with clear liquid and whiskey rocks (not ice), leaning back slightly, contraposto, smirk, looking off into the middleground and squinching as recommended by sthesia.

In my mind, this projects IDGAF as much as physically possible in a photo and combines it with the DHV of a bar, and a sharp but not uptight, intense but casual attitude. The whiskey rocks and highball glass contrast with the age they see (20) who probably expect something more like my original picture, plus red solo cups, tank tops, etc.

I have heard different schools of thought on whether it should be more playful or pensive.

My second one is the shows my interests in soccer. Previously it was me with a big goofy grin holding a scarf up at a game. Now, it is an action shot of me actually playing. Fairly close shot with me in the foreground, background blurred. I play goalkeeper so my arm is outstretched pointing, with the ball tucked in my other arm, intense look of concentration.

Third picture is my travel photo. It used to be a blurry picture of me standing on the great wall. Now it's a picture of me looking out the great wall. No smile, pensive look.

Fourth and final (I believe that more is trying too much) is my club pic. Girls that I'm trying to get at my age are probably still interested to see as to whether I can throw down well. This one has not changed, since it's kind of hard to get a really solid one that involves other girls and a busy club environment. Rather, I think I'll have to use some image manipulation (sorry Sevens) such as blur, sharpening, and smoke.

I'm pretty set on my first pic as the biggest impact, but am deciding on what order the others should be in to present a story that engages more and reveals incrementally more about my personality. P.S. With the exception of the fourth, these were all taken with a DSLR, but by myself; I have a handheld remote that allows me to take pictures at will. I should invest, but just don't have the assets to do so right now.

Quote:Quote:
Menace Wrote:
An experience is in her head and no guy can ever jizz on it.
Vaun Wrote:
Goldmund Wrote:
Music
This was used a lot when I was young and really into the underground scene. I would invite girls to come back to listen to Fugazi records.
This is the first time in recorded history that Fugazi was used to remove panties.

One of the highest quality datasheets on RVF. Booking a photographer this week.

+1

“There is no global anthem, no global currency, no certificate of global citizenship. We pledge allegiance to one flag, and that flag is the American flag!” -DJT

BlurredSevens thank you. Will read and re-read. My only remaining doubt isn't that professional photographs make an average man stand out but that bitchy women will think the man trying too hard. I guess the female professional photographs that turned me off on tinder are the portrait ones which look so cheesy (ie no-one lies on a rug resting her chin on the backs of her folded hands).

I just need to be convinced where the point of diminishing returns is. Is it with the student photographer or is it with a full-time professional with several year's experience.

Once again valuable knowledge being dropped on this forum. Thanks TS.

Quality post, with clear reasoning and examples. +1 from me.

Oh and...

Quote: (02-15-2015 10:57 PM)BlurredSevens Wrote:  

Hell, he doesn’t even have a cool dog.

[Image: UxyT60I.jpg]

Great post. Thanks a lot.

As for the fear of a professional picture looking a little too try-hard, I think this is a case where a sufficient level of skill makes things look deceptively easy. Anybody nowadays can use a $200-300 camera and get an extremely high quality photo. A phone camera can't provide this level of quality, but a decent camera is available to almost anyone. Therefore, the quality of the image is not what's going to appear as try-hard. It's the pose, clothing, and background that could potentially look this way.

I suppose if you try to do a Don Draper-esque period piece, or somehow arrange to be photographed on stage with a band looking like Steve Tyler, it could appear forced. However, if you show up wearing some normal clothes that look sharp, and your photographer picks a good location, and sets you up with a good pose, you'll look natural.

If you do it right, you'll look great, but it will be a subliminal thing. It will seem like a normal photo, that just happens to make you look great. The girl will just think it's you that looks great, and won't even realize it's a great photo.

I'm the tower of power, too sweet to be sour. I'm funky like a monkey. Sky's the limit and space is the place!
-Randy Savage

Quote: (02-16-2015 01:53 AM)N°6 Wrote:  

BlurredSevens thank you. Will read and re-read. My only remaining doubt isn't that professional photographs make an average man stand out but that bitchy women will think the man trying too hard.

If they ask about it just say "a friend of mine needed a model for shooting some pictures for his evening classes in photography, and I kinda like them".

Great post - I've been lucky enough to have some professionale pictures of myself and can only agree that they help tremendously.

I want to put some yoga poses. Will it be try too hard ?

Emphatic +1 from me.

Incredibly concise and well presented data sheet.

Quote: (02-16-2015 12:18 AM)sthesia Wrote:  

squinch thread here.

Quote: (02-16-2015 12:18 AM)sthesia Wrote:  

-Accentuate your jawline (make it appear as defined as possible by pushing your head slightly forward and down while keeping the forehead up)
-Try to avoid looking directly into the camera
-If you have to look at the camera, appear disinterested & judgmental
-Avoid posing while holding a drink at your chest
-Avoid leaning in towards someone
-Avoid smiling in general; instead smirk or look disinterested
-Position the camera so it is slightly looking up to you
-Stand contraposto (shift weight on one leg)
-If sitting, open legs wide and attempt to take up space

Good points, but one other thing is that a good photog will know how to get you to pose to look interesting. Even in a casual family reunion portrait, a good photog spends time getting the subjects to pose, make sure everyone's face is visible, etc.

7s, I have to admit I was a little skeptical of the value of pro photos but you had me convinced before I even got to the fold. Not only is this a great datasheet, this is a great example of how to write a datasheet. Well done.

Quote: (02-16-2015 05:58 AM)playharder123 Wrote:  

I want to put some yoga poses. Will it be try too hard ?

If you are doing a toe stand, on the beach, during a kick ass sunset, no one will be saying "wow he is so try hard", they will say "wow that is absolutely incredible..."

Use wet sand if at all possible if you are going to be doing any yoga on the beach. You don't have to go down by the water, just fill up a jug with water, pour it out on a patch of sand where you want to do your yoga and voila, good to go.

If you are just doing something simple, like a tripod headstand, or a handstand, or side crow, or a chinstand, it could work as well and can be done anywhere.

My suggestion: try different poses with different venues and different lighting, pick the ones that turned out the best.

This almost deserves its own thread lol

If you can do astavakrasana, have a relaxed expression on your face, like it's no big deal,

Do not be saying "hey check me out!" with your facial expression because it does look odd.

so do this

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQQEa_5jfeYwozmpThLXsR...oDXiIaY8Mz]

not this.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTrNC0nAIIN-5Zujy1N8kF...kNirbZISuF]

I should say, when you are doing yoga, it should never be about the pose, but about getting better, more flexible and more relaxed and more present and self aware with each practice. When you make it about trying to do a certain pose, you have already lost. When you try to do a pose and cant get into it, you will be frustrated, and for what? because you can't do an extremely difficult posture to show off for a photo? That is a totally wrong attitude to carry into your practices.

Besides, some days I can do supta virasana with ease, some days I just can't and don't have the flexibility. I shrug and go on to the next posture. at any rate, hope this helps.

Excellent thread...great advice. It's obvious but Sevens break down and examples are what make this thread standout

@eradicator

Thank you for detailed reply

Plan is to do 2 r 3 yoga poses And 2 r 3 with blazer

Mostly in a park with lake

Yoga. Head stand-adho mukha vrkasana, bridge post-urdhva dhanurasana

I said on another thread that I felt that getting pro photos is trying too hard. But after looking at these example photos, it's obvious to me where I went wrong before. I looked directly and smiled at the camera for a portrait shot, which is apparently a no no for online dating... it's pretty good for a business or semi-professional shot, but I can see how it hurt me for online dating.

I'm going to try this again, this time differently. I have a friend who's just gotten their photography business off the ground. Asked to see their porfolio, it's pretty good.

Great post, +1 for me.

A couple of questions/thoughts after reading:

1) What's the right balance between professional photos and "action" ones? It seems that a professional photo = you somewhere by yourself. This is great, but how about pics with girls at the club, sports pictures, travel pictures, etcetera? Is a well-taken professional photo better than a lower quality pic of you at the beach in Rio, playing pick up basketball in the park, or at the bar with a girl on each arm? Do you give girls more emotion through the composition and framing, or the activity? I have no idea.

2) It seems a lot of these pics are black and white. I've personally shied away from that out of concern about appearing too try-hard, but now I'm thinking about applying the filter to some existing photos to gauge the results. Anybody have success with this?

These professional photos are something every man needs. If your creating a website, writing a book, or putting your face out their it needs to be top-notch quality anyway.

Good post.

Quote: (02-15-2015 11:42 PM)The Lizard of Oz Wrote:  

This is masterfully done Sevens, a labor of love and full of expert, detailed and actionable advice. Kudos, and +1 rep point from me.

Thanks man! I wanted to show guys that they don't need to be models to have good photos. Like much of what I've learned on the forum, it's all about putting your best foot forward, and being the best version of yourself possible.

Quote: (02-16-2015 12:28 AM)eclipse Wrote:  

I wonder where the line between this and narcissism is, though.

I definitely see your point, but as I mentioned previously, Instagram and the internet have bastardized the art of photography. Photography is a form of art, but it has been commoditized by technology.

Back in the day, it used to be an honor to have your portrait taken by a professional photographer. Go look through your family photo albums - guaranteed that your grandparents had their portraits taken at various stages of their lives.

Before photographs, people had their portraits painted.

It's not narcissism, it's an expression of self-esteem and self-worth, and a way to create a visual history of your own personal progress as you move through life.

Quote: (02-16-2015 11:18 AM)Seamus Wrote:  

1) What's the right balance between professional photos and "action" ones? It seems that a professional photo = you somewhere by yourself. This is great, but how about pics with girls at the club, sports pictures, travel pictures, etcetera? Is a well-taken professional photo better than a lower quality pic of you at the beach in Rio, playing pick up basketball in the park, or at the bar with a girl on each arm? Do you give girls more emotion through the composition and framing, or the activity? I have no idea.

2) It seems a lot of these pics are black and white.

1. There is this false notion that Demonstrating High Value through photos somehow trumps an evocative portrait.

A good portrait evokes questions, it makes viewers want to learn about you, it makes them want to figure you out. If you play all your cards up front, what is there to learn? Look at those Buscemi portraits - they pose more questions than they answer, and in game, that is very powerful.

Why would a girl care that you went to Rio? Or that you play basketball? What emotions would that evoke? You're a stranger. Lots of people she doesn't know have gone to Rio and play basketball. Doesn't make you special.

That said, adding in a few lifestyle photos into your profile is a good move, but *only* as a compliment to your professional portraits.

2. I have not had good results online with Black & White photos. But I wanted to inlcude them anyway, to show that all types of portraits can be taken, and can make guys look good. Since most photographers shoot digital, you can have the same image in both color and black & white, and see which version you like better.

Quote: (02-16-2015 01:53 AM)N°6 Wrote:  

I just need to be convinced where the point of diminishing returns is. Is it with the student photographer or is it with a full-time professional with several year's experience.

A good student photographer will be masterful with the technical aspects of image making. But it takes many years to develop a style and to be able to evoke emotion through imagery, and that is what you're getting with a professional photographer.

One of the most famous portraits of all time was taken by Yousuf Karsh of Winston Churchill.

Legend has it that Churchill was being a dismissive prick while Karsh was setting up the photo. He was demeaning, told the photographer he only had "2 minutes," and he was puffing away on a cigar the entire time.

A *moment* before Karsh took the photo, he walked up to Churchill and grabbed the cigar out of his mouth - and snapped the photo a millisecond later.

The result is a portrait that shows incredible character, and reveals as much about Churchill as a thousand word biography. It's a portrait you can't help staring at. THAT is what professionals do.

Winston Churchill portrait:

[Image: churchillportrait1.jpg]

Quote: (02-16-2015 01:09 PM)BlurredSevens Wrote:  

Quote: (02-16-2015 11:18 AM)Seamus Wrote:  

1. There is this false notion that Demonstrating High Value through photos somehow trumps an evocative portrait.

A good portrait evokes questions, it makes viewers want to learn about you, it makes them want to figure you out. If you play all your cards up front, what is there to learn? Look at those Buscemi portraits - they pose more questions than they answer, and in game, that is very powerful.

Why would a girl care that you went to Rio? Or that you play basketball? What emotions would that evoke? You're a stranger. Lots of people she doesn't know have gone to Rio and play basketball. Doesn't make you special.

That said, adding in a few lifestyle photos into your profile is a good move, but *only* as a compliment to your professional portraits.

Good response, and I see your point. I was browsing through the Tinder thread, and a prevailing thought seems to be that you should craft an identity of who you are through different "genres" of photos. For example a travel pic to show you're worldly, a sports pic to show you're athletic and have hobbies, a club pic to show you've got basic social skills and can attract pretty girls, etc. I'm not saying any of that is true, but it made sense to me when I read it.

That said, you've definitely convinced me to get a few professional shots. The only way to truly gauge the difference is to try both and compare results.

This is one of the most valid Threads right now, and should be closely practiced. Thanks.