rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

So what is the deal with magnesium?

I've been searching for info on the topic and in almost every case the suppliment is only touched upon briefly. My bottle says to take 1 250mg tablet. Is that good when paired with my 50mg zinc or should I take more of either?

I also saw that magnesium is in ZMA and some users take that before they sleep. So, is it best to take this stuff before bed?[Image: huh.gif]

Edit:Also, I'm planning on taking some melatonin before I sleep, is it a bad idea to pair all of these suppliments together?

If you're deficient in magnesium, it will be a game changer. You'll sleep better and recover better in the gym and may even boost your testosterone levels:

http://dangerandplay.com/2012/04/19/magn...tosterone/

I take a lot of Mg (1 gram a day) because my body either doesn't absorb it well or because I lose a lot in sweat.

If I got a few days without my Mg, then I get "restless leg syndrome" and other muscular twitches.

Epsom salts (magnesium sulfate) are much cheaper than any supplements and can be used either as a soak (you get magnesium transdermaly) or a drink. Make sure you spend the next hour or so close to a bathroom because you'll get a full pipe flushing as an added bonus. I soak in an epsom salt bath a few times per week (helps my skin) and drink it once a week or so. You can also get magnesium chloride at most fish supply stores, $18/gallon or so.

Is 1 gram a day a good amount to start off with Mike?

Any possible risks of taking too much?

After reading that it is difficult to absorb magnesium(I have magnesium oxcide) it would seem to be a good idea to take the suppliment multiple times a day. Right?

Ca combines with oxalate to produce the dreaded kidney stone, so I have always just naturally gravitated towards Ca supplements that include Mg for that reason alone. Mg aids absorption of Ca into the body- without it, Ca will build up and bond with available oxalate in the body to create kidney stones...

Just grabbed the Ancient Minerals brand of magnesium oil from Amazon. I'm looking forward to seeing if this will help with fatigue, sleep, and muscle pain. Will report back after a week or so of using it.

I'm a fan of combining both oral and transdermal magnesium. It's been suggested by Charles Poliquin that 2,000 mg is the best dosage for adult men.

Here are some good articles:
http://www.poliquingroup.com/ArticlesMul...neral.aspx

http://www.mikemahler.com/online-library...esium.html

Quote: (02-13-2014 11:11 PM)Atlantic Wrote:  

Is 1 gram a day a good amount to start off with Mike?

Any possible risks of taking too much?

One side effect of too much Mg is a mild laxative effect.

Most people are deficient in magnesium. Magnesium supplementation is often done by people with anxiety disorders.

Alcohol and coffee both inhibit the absorption of magnesium, along with sodas. Calcium and magnesium compete for absorption, so it's good to have a higher amount of mag over calcium.

Quote: (02-13-2014 11:17 PM)Kickb Wrote:  

After reading that it is difficult to absorb magnesium(I have magnesium oxcide) it would seem to be a good idea to take the suppliment multiple times a day. Right?

Yeah.

You want to take a moderate amount a few times a day, rather than one huge amount.

I also like to eat bananas which are rich in both magnesium and potassium.

Make sure you take Magnesium citrate (or a couple other absorbable forms)
Make sure you take it in the evening (with dinner)

Magnesium is a "relaxant", as in your body/mind go through natural high-energy and low-energy states thoughout the days. And I noticed that after I ran out (I live abroad, so getting it shipped from Amazon takes time) I got insane stress in my head, and found it difficult to take naps. I felt like my brain was caving in at times but my job is pretty stressful so Mg will definitely keep you in line. I only took 200mg a night though.

The only time success comes before work is in the dictionary.
DATASHEETS: Singapore (2014) | Vietnam (2015) | Cebu (2015) | Honolulu (2016) | Couchsurfing (2016) | KS, Taiwan (2018)
BTC: 1MoAetVtsmM48mkRx66Z9gYkBZGzqepGb5

I can vouch for magnesium relaxing me after a tough day/workout. I supplement with 300mg caps and usually eat a handful of almonds throughout the day which are a great source of fats, magnesium, potassium, protein and fiber.

Quote: (02-14-2014 12:55 AM)young_money Wrote:  

Just grabbed the Ancient Minerals brand of magnesium oil from Amazon. I'm looking forward to seeing if this will help with fatigue, sleep, and muscle pain. Will report back after a week or so of using it.

Just some advice...when you're starting out with transdermal magnesium, avoid your nipples. The first couple applications tend to sting and if you've been in the sun--even for a little bit--it can be quite irritating. Doesn't bother me now, but the first time was a bit shocking. YMMV.

I didn't notice a significant increase in muscle recovery until I started spending more time rubbing it in. Also feels less like I just got out of the ocean.

^^
Good advice. It stings a good bit but is far from unbearable. Unfortunately, I haven't noticed any real effects with like 10-12 sprays about an hour before I take my morning shower.

My goal is basically to get my energy levels up and was hoping this would help me getter deeper sleep. I'm also taking l-optizinc with no real effects either. Probably gonna head towards blood testing to find out why I'm so lethargic during the day. Easily could be sleep apnea, as I wake up often and have a badly deviated septum.

I've had the stingy nipples too. Nothing crazy though just man up and embrace it. I put it on a chick and she freaked out on me screaming and crying. Ha.

Quote: (02-13-2014 10:39 PM)Kickb Wrote:  

I've been searching for info on the topic and in almost every case the suppliment is only touched upon briefly. My bottle says to take 1 250mg tablet. Is that good when paired with my 50mg zinc or should I take more of either?

I also saw that magnesium is in ZMA and some users take that before they sleep. So, is it best to take this stuff before bed?[Image: huh.gif]

Edit:Also, I'm planning on taking some melatonin before I sleep, is it a bad idea to pair all of these suppliments together?

Zinc and magnesium are essential minerals that your body needs from your daily diet. You are recommended to take zinc and magnesium supplements if you have a very low-nutrient diet. But remember to balance everything. Required milligrams of magnesium per day is 310 to 400 and 8 to 12 milligrams of zinc per day.

Zinc can inhibit magnesium absorption.

This could mean that people who supplement zinc regularly are low on magnesium.

It seems interesting that there are a lot of zinc plus magnesium supplements, I would've thought that taking both at the same time would be less than ideal considering they both compete for absorption, wouldn't taking each at different times of day be more effective?

Zinc in the morning right when I wake up to get me ready for the day, magnesium in the evening with B6 and theanine.

It's the best of both worlds and you get full absorption.

ZMA products and magnesium on its own always had the opposite effect for me. Take the stuff before bed and I won't sleep a wink.

Quote: (02-19-2015 12:47 PM)Aer Wrote:  

Zinc in the morning right when I wake up to get me ready for the day, magnesium in the evening with B6 and theanine.

It's the best of both worlds and you get full absorption.

Does the theanine have any effect on your sleep?

I take theanine right after I wake up and then after lunch and it really keeps me focused and gives me an alert calmness, so I've always worried about taking it closer to bed time. I also take magnesium at night so maybe that will balance it out?

What have you experienced with it?

HAPPINESS: The feeling that power increases – that resistance is being overcome.

I take a magnesium in the morning, make sure I'm by a toilet for the next few hours. I also used to have migraines. Read somewhere that a majority of people with neurological disorders usually are magnesium deficient. I've been trying magnesium as opposed to a prescription for about 3 months.... So far so good.

Quote: (02-13-2014 10:57 PM)MikeCF Wrote:  

If you're deficient in magnesium, it will be a game changer. You'll sleep better and recover better in the gym and may even boost your testosterone levels:

http://dangerandplay.com/2012/04/19/magn...tosterone/

I take a lot of Mg (1 gram a day) because my body either doesn't absorb it well or because I lose a lot in sweat.

If I got a few days without my Mg, then I get "restless leg syndrome" and other muscular twitches.

How are you able to consume 1 gram without shytting the place down? At 200mg, my bowels start to react and I am taking magnesium citrate.

OUR NEW BLOG!

http://repstylez.com

My NEW TRAVEL E-BOOK - DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - A RED CARPET AFFAIR

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K53LVR8

Love 'em or leave 'em but we can't live without lizardsssss..

An Ode To Lizards

I would try glycinate if the citrate makes you poop.

If only you knew how bad things really are.

Relevant to this thread.

Here's Dr. Patrick's breakdown of why magnesium is so important for exercise and other bodily functions.

You can read her entire paper on it by signing up for her newsletter: http://www.foundmyfitness.com/