rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Mini-Datasheet - Kaohsiung, Taiwan

Dropping a small datasheet on a lesser-known coastal city in southern Taiwan, Kaohsiung, before I fly out tomorrow. Had the pleasure of staying about a week here on an extended business trip and was still able to focus on game half the time, and dig in enough to bring some light onto this little gem. Searched for "Kaohsiung" and led to few results, so time to start uncovering this city of nearly 3 million...

Where to Stay / Logistics

In terms of where to stay you've pretty much got roughly 3 districts.. the tourist/nature area, the classy area, and the ghetto/traditional area.. Keep in mind the city as a whole is uninteresting and not terribly romantic. Pretty much standard Chinese urban planning fare so if you don't actually have something to do you'll be bored.

[Image: attachment.jpg38957]   

Yancheng / Cijin (tourist/nature)

Most domestic tourists would come to KS for the nature and beaches, which is honestly pretty average. (If you're expecting paradise KS only has glimpses of it, more south you'll find better paradise but still not picturesque) This area has a ton of hotels and some tourists flocking about, and most of them still seemed local/domestic. If you pipeline a lot OR do a lot of daygame this is your district especially if you can hop over to Cijin. There is one main street (Wufu) which is lined with 10-15 small bars but they looked depressing and uninhabited, spent one evening in them though. There are basically no night markets and everything shuts down after 10pm.

Northern Kaohsiung

Everything north of "Wufu" road I would consider northern Kaohsiung, this would be the more traditional, local part of city. There are some seedier clubs, and more underground bars that foreigners still like to visit but not too far east. Liuhe Night Market is the only decent night market IMO because the food isn't wierd and most things are still written in English (this strip is good for a first date).

Southern Kaohsiung

South of Wufu Rd was my favorite part of the city and spent most my time here. It's got its own 85 Sky Tower (which is KS's version of TP 101, essentially) and the Sundan shopping district immediately north of it, Sogo et al. There's a greater concentration of night markets here though the streets are really wide. Directly south of 85 Tower is a massive/modern library (perfect for getting work done) and the classier district with newer buildings and a couple nice outdoor malls. If you get an airbnb it should be in this vicinity.

Cost of Living

Surprisingly the day-to-day expenses were not that much less than Taipei. I would say that the typical things that you buy on the street (market food, supplies, shoes) were about 90% of Taipei prices. My rent was about 75% of what I was paying in TP though. A small meal still costs about $3-4, and rent translated to $600/mo for a solid studio just outside downtown. However services and labor (repairing motorbike/bicycle, storage, transport, SIM data) are still dirt cheap. Don't expect it to be like SEAsia though.

Other logistics: SIM data is dirt cheap here, one month from the fastest provider (Chunghwa) is about $30 USD a month for *unlimited* data, which is insane. Definitely a haven for digital nomads as you won't be tied to cafes or your hotel to get your job done. The 2 MRT lines are okay, bit limited so you'll want a bike in addition if you're always on the move.

Day Game Spots

Girls in Kaohsiung are depressingly unattractive, compared to their Taipei counterparts. I was expecting better I will tell you that. Chicks on the street are flat average, darker skin, barely any upkeep of their appearance. The population as a whole feels older and gnarly and it's difficult to justify a move from TP sacrificing looks just for better weather, wider streets, and higher value. Their English ability is about 30% of TP girls (which I consider equivalent to Hong Kong), enough to get by but does lock you in to the "foreigner hangouts".

Sundan Market: This wide strip clearly had the hottest girls and was lined with a handful of multi-level malls, however it's still sparsely populated. In the malls there wasn't much of a pickup culture, indirect game didn't seem to get them hooked or continue the conversation and I didn't have the balls to try direct game. KS as a whole has a softie culture and it feels as if you are agressive even 10% it would be out of line, slightly emasculating.

[Image: attachment.jpg38958]   

The other 2 spots would be Cijin Beach and Sizihwan scenic area. Cijin was way better, and just a $1 ferry ride from the city, although it's full of couples there were still tons of cutesy local girl groups taking photos or playing sports throughout the day and taking pictures next to the monuments. Probably the top spot for a date with bungalow-style bars and restaurants and good view of the sunset. A handful of younger expats live out here as well. Girls along the boardwalk were very receptive and barely of them was actually from KS. Sizihwan district was a bit tougher and seemed more stressed out, maybe I went on a different day, there were some college students here and there (there's a bunch of university buildings along the coast) but barely any hot girls. Still has a beach but Sizihwan is more of an adventurous vibe than Cijin's relaxed romantic one.

Tried going to a couple huge parks but it seems like young people don't really go to them to hang out. They're still a nice break from the shitty city though. Would recommend only the Pier cultural park for a date, but a chunk of it still under construction.

Nightlife Spots

KS nightlife isn't wild or advertised widely, but there's definitely a few hidden in the buildings here and there. If you live here you'd probably have to merge it with daygame or campus game (since KS is littered with college campuses) and find the girls who actually like clubbing to hook you up with the scene.

Muse and Lamp - These were the 2 high-end clubs, and everyone kept telling me Muse was better so I never actually bothered going to Lamp. Muse's entrance a bit hard to find but once you get in it's pretty flashy (believe it was $17 with 1 drink). Dress code surprisingly lax and super friendly staff. The crowd's not that snobby, still a lot of younger kids (on weekends) trying to hard to act cool and Korean-looking girls. If you can tolerate being doused in subpar techno music you can have a great time here

[Image: attachment.jpg38959]   

Brickyard - This one's a more alternative scene but no less popular. Owned by an American guy so tons of foreigners do roll in here plus the chicks hunting foreign guys. Almost every girl in here spoke English other than the tourists from East Asia and you can actually talk in here at least until 1am or so, there's also a pool table if you run pool table game. The thing about Brickyard is it's very event-based, so there's Ladies Nights on Wednesdays (extra high cover charge for guys), Gay nights on Thursdays, and then special events on weekends so come according to the crowd you want. Usually the cover charge is $10 with 1 drink.

Fusion and Wonderwall - a couple late night hole-in-the-wall bars that are great for bouncing girls back to after a club (Brickyard is right across). I would not go to these places for pickup as they are either quite sparse or sausage fests, but you can sing karaoke and play darts to kill off the night.

Lush - spent just a few minutes here, even though it was supposed to be a spot for tourists, it was pretty clear that it was a seedy hooker joint but I could be wrong..

Mini-Fusion - a cocktail spot way east of the city. Personally didn't go but chicks wouldn't stop talking about it and may be worth the drip if you have a reliable date.

Overall I am fond of my time in Kaohsiung, but would have to give the city a pass for others, it had not nearly enough positives to warrant going there intentionally unless you looking for nothing more than a thoroughly well-balanced nomadic lifestyle with $1000+/month of passive income. I'm far from a KS expert but we should put this city on the map. Give it 2 years once the construction finishes, beautification has settled in and the city gets its bearings. For now it's just a glorified and slightly pricey coworking space. If I could do things over again, I'd:

- get the Airbnb on the south side of the city
- spend more time at Cijin beach district
- spend more time at the universities

Cheers and hope someone puts this one on their map..

The only time success comes before work is in the dictionary.
DATASHEETS: Singapore (2014) | Vietnam (2015) | Cebu (2015) | Honolulu (2016) | Couchsurfing (2016) | KS, Taiwan (2018)
BTC: 1MoAetVtsmM48mkRx66Z9gYkBZGzqepGb5

Excellent report. +1 rep. I was curious about South Taiwan and now you have illuminated some light on it. While I find a certain Taiwanese look very attractive over all other asian women, I still would not go back to Taiwan specifically for game. Maybe it was me, but I didn't fair too well in Taipei. I'm an average looking asian american, so maybe my usual attempts didn't pan out, but then again I've done alright in asia in general. In any case outside of game Taiwan is amazing for food, culture, and I'd even say nature. There is a lot of opportunity also if you work in tech manufacturing.

Good stuff; I've gotten around Taiwan, but only briefly been to K-Town. It is a much more laid-back city than Taipei, and I was surprised at how sparsely populated it felt. Tainan and Taichung are away more crowded, for example. In Kaohsiung I could practically lie down in the middle of major streets near the Love River area during the day. Almost no cars or people about. It felt like Taipei during Chinese New Year when everyone leaves town.

Looked like some good barhopping on the other side of Love River, plus Pier 2 cultural creative park.

Also, DanDan burger was pretty overrated.

Quote: (05-02-2018 09:57 PM)Super_Fire Wrote:  

Good stuff; I've gotten around Taiwan, but only briefly been to K-Town. It is a much more laid-back city than Taipei, and I was surprised at how sparsely populated it felt. Tainan and Taichung are away more crowded, for example. In Kaohsiung I could practically lie down in the middle of major streets near the Love River area during the day. Almost no cars or people about. It felt like Taipei during Chinese New Year when everyone leaves town.

Looked like some good barhopping on the other side of Love River, plus Pier 2 cultural creative park.

Also, DanDan burger was pretty overrated.

Considering that Taipei feels sparsely populated to me (I grew up near a major city), I might have to give Kaohsiung a pass. Thanks for the info tho Cyclone

New Post:
Men’s Style Guide: For Guys Who Want to Get Laid

You aren't getting laid because you still believe in "game".

Here's how I went from being a 21-year-old, videogame-addicted, Asian virgin to banging too many girls to count (no PUA bs):

https://whiteknightrises.com/start-here

BTC: 1A5WUGDNGnsxGJ62CXadV6T2oapKfFu4T3
ETH: 0x9019d135dD1FFA06f0CC53C5942cBce806a943dd

(If I miss your reply PM me)

A couple years ago I went to Taiwan for a few weeks. The conclusion I reached was that Taipei was the only city worth going to for women. The only two other big ones are Kaohsiung and Taichung. I liked Kaohsiung and stayed with locals there, but I don't think it's for short term travelers. There's a much bigger language gap there than Taipei, the city is very spread out, and nightlife isn't the most active. Better for long term guys but there are some expats down there.

Taichung is not a livable city imo. Most polluted of the big 3 to me without the girl benefits of similar SEA cities. Sun Moon Lake I'm pretty sure I was the first white guy some of them saw or talked to lol. Tainan is kind of the same, it's a smaller city. Hualien is great to go to as well, just not for girls. More for nature.

As far back as I could remember, I always wanted to be a player.

2018 New Orleans Datasheet
New Jersey State Datasheet

Quote: (05-02-2018 09:57 PM)Super_Fire Wrote:  

only briefly been to K-Town. It is a much more laid-back city than Taipei, and I was surprised at how sparsely populated it felt. Tainan and Taichung are away more crowded, for example. In Kaohsiung I could practically lie down in the middle of major streets near the Love River area during the day. Almost no cars or people about.

Yeah I feel like my timing was bad as well. Maybe the city really is that sparsely populated but that could be a good thing. In 2 years that city will be great though.

Quote: (05-03-2018 01:30 AM)yankeetravels Wrote:  

The conclusion I reached was that Taipei was the only city worth going to for women. The only two other big ones are Kaohsiung and Taichung. I liked Kaohsiung and stayed with locals there, but I don't think it's for short term travelers. There's a much bigger language gap there than Taipei, the city is very spread out, and nightlife isn't the most active.

Taichung is not a livable city imo.

Taichung was awesome for the university scene tho.
As for KS, yes as I implied it would only be good for digital nomads that can really dig into the scene. I met plenty of white guys with hot local girlfriends.

DATASHEETS: Singapore (2014) | Vietnam (2015) | Cebu (2015) | Honolulu (2016) | Couchsurfing (2016) | KS, Taiwan (2018)

Quote: (05-04-2018 01:40 PM)Cyclone Wrote:  

Yeah I feel like my timing was bad as well. Maybe the city really is that sparsely populated but that could be a good thing. In 2 years that city will be great though.

I actually did like that part, it was a nice respite; especially where I live in Taipei there's lots of college kids with no manners or sense of personal space always crowding and not watching where they're walking. That gets tiresome.

Of course, I don't know about running street game in Kaohsiung with so few targets; of course, I didn't get to the Sanduo area.

Quote: (05-06-2018 08:00 PM)Super_Fire Wrote:  

I actually did like that part, it was a nice respite; especially where I live in Taipei there's lots of college kids with no manners or sense of personal space always crowding and not watching where they're walking. That gets tiresome.

Of course, I don't know about running street game in Kaohsiung with so few targets; of course, I didn't get to the Sanduo area.

Hah, dont go to the mainland then
Sanduo is cool too but as i said it's hard to be aggressive

Quote: (05-13-2018 02:27 AM)Cyclone Wrote:  

Hah, dont go to the mainland then
Sanduo is cool too but as i said it's hard to be aggressive

Yeah, I've only been to China for a layover, and while there was no crowding I was certainly stared at even more than here. But I've heard plenty of horror stories, including from my girl who just went there. Like people just bumrushing toilet stalls in the bathroom, and more shenanigans. I don't think they're trying to be rude either, that's just how they are. Still, I'm not in a hurry to experience it, I usually go to Japan or elsewhere on vacation so I can experience more orderly societies again.

Kaohsiung is slow living all around it sounds, but I think it could be a good spot to set up what with the lower living costs and an international airport right there. Also, Taipei housing costs don't seem to be dropping anytime soon (though the population will, so who knows how that will pan out), but in the short-term you might see more companies/people set up shop in K-town as opposed to Taipei. The shipbuilding industry there is set to continue growing, for example. My biggest gripe with the city is that it's downwind of every factory in Taiwan so the air is often terrible. But then again Taipei's has been bad for the past month or so too.

Quote: (05-02-2018 02:19 PM)monsquid Wrote:  

Excellent report. +1 rep. I was curious about South Taiwan and now you have illuminated some light on it. While I find a certain Taiwanese look very attractive over all other asian women, I still would not go back to Taiwan specifically for game. Maybe it was me, but I didn't fair too well in Taipei. I'm an average looking asian american, so maybe my usual attempts didn't pan out, but then again I've done alright in asia in general. In any case outside of game Taiwan is amazing for food, culture, and I'd even say nature. There is a lot of opportunity also if you work in tech manufacturing.

I can say this.

Game reigns in Taipei.

Looks + money do not matter. Or money matters only if you display it so blatantly (and I mean blatantly not just be above avg) & go that route.

Guys with good game will clean up shop in Taipei. Guys with any holes in their game will run into roadblocks soon enough.

I'm not close to the top of game (also by choice since I have other priorities over game), but hanging out with guys who have developed their game to high levels over many years, I can stand by what I posted above.

Surgically precise game is best game.

-Surgeon

RVF travel forum delivers again, was going to start a new thread but one already exists for Kaohsiung...brilliant!

I may not have normally visited Kaohsiung but I like second tier cities and also probably scored my longest pipeline ever at nearly 3 years!! I was last in Taipei in 2015 and met some chick on Tinder who went off to study in Australia, back in Kaohsiung now we hooked up and she didn't disappoint and I had a few nice days there.

The data sheet is pretty spot on, getting around is easier now with some newly opened metro lines, but having a scooter like I did would be ideal. Girls are average but I think they are totally realistic and as I have found Taiwanese girls to be, very matter of fact, pleasant and very much into foreigners (white Americans anyways).

As I read elsewhere Kaohsiung seems to be like a city which was built for 5 million people but then half of them left. New buildings are still going up. The library is very cool and worth a visit as is the 85 sky tower right next to it. Also really enjoyed the museum of modern art and a visit to Cinjin old street and beach would be a good place to take a chick. The university along the coast just past Cinjin is also worth a look. There are some places you can stop up there for a drink overlooking the ocean.

The city is big and seems to go on forever, night markets just so so, about same as I experienced in Taipei. I think this would be a good longer term or pipeline spot for RVF'ers. I would go back!

I'm eventually making my way over to Kaoshiung as well. I've heard the transit is much better than the other famous southern city in Tainan (which I've been too, and there is pretty much no metro0.

You need some game for Taipei for sure. Took me a bit to get used to getting quality girls once online dating fizzled out.

Quote: (05-14-2018 10:36 AM)dknightbro Wrote:  

Quote: (05-02-2018 02:19 PM)monsquid Wrote:  

I can say this.

Game reigns in Taipei.

Looks + money do not matter. Or money matters only if you display it so blatantly (and I mean blatantly not just be above avg) & go that route.

Guys with good game will clean up shop in Taipei. Guys with any holes in their game will run into roadblocks soon enough.

I'm not close to the top of game (also by choice since I have other priorities over game), but hanging out with guys who have developed their game to high levels over many years, I can stand by what I posted above.

It's not that bad in Taiwan. I was able to get a couple hundred matches on Tinder (I did buy swipes though) and most women were generally down to fuck or at least get naked within 2 dates. So far this is my easiest country in terms of Tinder.

My problem though is, although the women are thin, I don't feel particularly attracted to the look of most girls here. It's not really a Tinder quality issue because even outside I don't see any women that make me twist my neck. Maybe once every 10 days I do see a woman on the metro that's Kpop style in looks but it happens too infrequently.

Initially I had loads of fun in Taiwan in my first month but now it's starting to get old on me but I already prepaid for 2 more months of apartments so I am pretty much stuck for now. [Image: undecided.gif]