rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Why are Americans circumcised?

Juat wondering what the reason for this is? Apparently most Americans are circumcised. Seems a bit of a strange thing to do considering the foreskin is there for a reason (thanks to evolution).

It always seems a bit backward to have a totally pointless operation carried out on babies (particularly since it can occasionally be deadly).

Anyway - just curious as to how this came about? Here in the UK it is only carried out for religious reasons. So - I am interested in how it became a cultural norm in America?

Quote: (05-20-2013 11:09 PM)cardguy Wrote:  

Juat wondering what the reason for this is? Apparently most Americans are circumcised. Seems a bit of a strange thing to do considering the foreskin is there for a reason (thanks to evolution).

It always seems a bit backward to have a totally pointless operation carried out on children (particularly since it can occasionally be deadly).

Anyway - just curious as to how this came about? Here in the UK it is only carried out for religious reasons. So - I am interested in how it became a cultural norm in America?

I am taking a wild stab in the dark: The prevalence of Jewish doctors in the USA?

I think it started for religious reasons and just became the norm. It never really occurred to me that a lot of the world isn't circumcised until my girlfriend who grew up in Austria asked me about my circumcised penis. She says she prefers it over uncircumcised, but who knows, maybe she's just saying it to make me feel good. I asked her if it was common in Austria and she said no. I told her that here it was weird to not be and in grade school the other kids made fun of you if you weren't. Her bro is also circumcised because her family is Muslim, so the idea wasn't new to her, she just wasn't used to banging dudes with a circumcised penis. At the end of the day though, it's more healthy and clean.

Quote: (05-20-2013 11:14 PM)InternationPlayboy Wrote:  

I think it started for religious reasons and just became the norm. It never really occurred to me that a lot of the world isn't circumcised until my girlfriend who grew up in Austria asked me about my circumcised penis. She says she prefers it over uncircumcised, but who knows, maybe she's just saying it to make me feel good. I asked her if it was common in Austria and she said no. I told her that here it was weird to not be and in grade school the other kids made fun of you if you weren't. Her bro is also circumcised because her family is Muslim, so the idea wasn't new to her, she just wasn't used to banging dudes with a circumcised penis.

It is actually more common to be uncircumcized for Mexican-Americans. I am uncircumcized for instance.

From what I can tell - women tend to prefer a circumcised penis over an uncircumcised one. Since they feel it is cleaner. But I may be wrong - and it is hard to analyse due to the different cultural factors involved.

Just curious. Does it make jerking off harder? Is this why people buy lube? Because you don't need lube if you have a foreskin.

Makes you wonder if this is a conspiracy between the government and the companies that make lube.

I find it weird for any degree of genital mutilation to be a normal thing, but to each culture their own. I can't really criticize it while the culture where I grew up has even worse hangups.

Quote: (05-20-2013 11:19 PM)cardguy Wrote:  

From what I can tell - women tend to prefer a circumcised penis over an uncircumcised one. Since they feel it is cleaner. But I may be wrong - and it is hard to analyse due to the different cultural factors involved.

Just curious. Does it make jerking off harder? Is this why people buy lube? Because you don't need lube if you have a foreskin.

Makes you wonder if this is a conspiracy between the government and the companies that make lube.

Nah, I am sticking with my original hypothesis: jewish doctors.

Quote: (05-20-2013 11:19 PM)The Texas Prophet Wrote:  

Quote: (05-20-2013 11:14 PM)InternationPlayboy Wrote:  

I think it started for religious reasons and just became the norm. It never really occurred to me that a lot of the world isn't circumcised until my girlfriend who grew up in Austria asked me about my circumcised penis. She says she prefers it over uncircumcised, but who knows, maybe she's just saying it to make me feel good. I asked her if it was common in Austria and she said no. I told her that here it was weird to not be and in grade school the other kids made fun of you if you weren't. Her bro is also circumcised because her family is Muslim, so the idea wasn't new to her, she just wasn't used to banging dudes with a circumcised penis.

It is actually more common to be uncircumcized for Mexican-Americans. I am uncircumcized for instance.

Yeah that may be right. I wasn't trying to call anyone out on being uncircumcised, I was just pointing out it seems to be the norm among white anglo men. I grew up in a community that is 90% white.

What about in South America? I wonder how many South American girls I banged thought my circumcised penis was strange (Or more likely extremely delicious).

Circumcision is unheard of outside of jewish communities (Something also kinda strange) and emergency procedures on babies.

Quote: (05-20-2013 11:30 PM)Volk Wrote:  

Circumcision is unheard of outside of jewish communities (Something also kinda strange) and emergency procedures on babies.

Another data point for my jewish doctor theory.

I didn't realise how common it was in America until I saw it discussed on Seinfeld.

Here is the clip (bad quality):

Quote: (05-20-2013 11:30 PM)Volk Wrote:  

You're speaking just in South America right? 'Cause I know it's big with Muslims too.

Quote: (05-20-2013 11:31 PM)cardguy Wrote:  

I didn't realise how common it was in America until I saw it discussed on Seinfeld.

Yeah, we would give cats a real hard time if we found out they were uncircumcised back when we were younger. Many of them would try and hide it if they were.

We had a similar thread here when somebody posted about the rumour that Taylor Swift dumped some British guy because he wasn't cut. Most of the world is uncircumcised. Only in North America is it done for cosmetic reasons. Muslims and Jews do it for religious reasons. I am uncircumcised and had a couple of girls comment on it but never had a problem.

I have read more and more parents say no to circumcision for their boys (in North America). I hope this practice is weeded out, at least for non-Muslim and non-Jewish boys.

Money. American doctors eagerly circumcise infant boys because it's covered by health insurance as well as Medicaid in many states. Here's a link explaining more (that site is amazingly biased, but the data is on point).

Personally, I can't get worked up over the issue, mainly because the people who are big into "intactivism" are more than a little creepy. I wrote a post on circumcision years ago on my old blog in which I said that I agreed that circumcision is a waste of time but I don't consider it a big issue of importance. It erupted into a category 5 shitstorm with intactivists swarming in from all corners to call me a "butcher" and an "asshole." The disturbing thing is that most of the intactivists---and all of the vocal ones---were women. Women, for whatever reason, are waaaaaay more into intactivism then men are: another reason to avoid it.

Quote: (05-20-2013 11:34 PM)InternationPlayboy Wrote:  

Yeah, we would give cats a real hard time if we found out they were uncircumcised back when we were younger. Many of them would try and hide it if they were.

How would you know who was and who wasn't. Just sayin.

Quote: (05-20-2013 11:35 PM)TheSlayer Wrote:  

I hope this practice is weeded out, at least for non-Muslim and non-Jewish boys.

Why? It's cleaner and healthier. I'll have my kid circumcised and I'm not even religious.

Quote: (05-20-2013 11:36 PM)The Texas Prophet Wrote:  

Sometimes kids would just admit to it and other times one of the skanks they banged would throw them under the bus. Obviously many American girls think it's weird not to be as well in highly populated anglo areas.

Quote: (05-20-2013 11:37 PM)InternationPlayboy Wrote:  

Quote: (05-20-2013 11:36 PM)The Texas Prophet Wrote:  

Sometimes kids would just admit to it and other times one of the skanks they banged would throw him under the bus.

Cool.

Never gave a shit what girls think about it. I am mostly into ONS at this point anyways.

The only critique I worry about nowadays is for a girl to tell me: "I am pregnant"...cuz that means I have to convince her to get an abortion.

Quote: (05-20-2013 11:09 PM)cardguy Wrote:  

This is not specific to foreskin (which I don't really know much about off the top of my head), but evolution isn't a biological perfectionist by any means.

Evolution gets it right almost all the time, but sometimes it's "wrong" or at the very least, slow to catch up, particularly for humans. Some features that may have been beneficial for humans in the past are now neutral or maladaptive, such as the appendix or the third molars (wisdom teeth).

#NoSingleMoms
#NoHymenNoDiamond
#DontWantDaughters

Quote: (05-20-2013 11:36 PM)InternationPlayboy Wrote:  

Quote: (05-20-2013 11:35 PM)TheSlayer Wrote:  

I hope this practice is weeded out, at least for non-Muslim and non-Jewish boys.

Why? It's cleaner and healthier. I'll have my kid circumcised and I'm not even religious.

I don't know man. If nature is giving you something, I don't see the point of it being removed after birth. If I am not wrong, the American Medical Association also said recently that ultimately circumcision is not needed and as long as you clean your dick properly it's not going to be dirty. At the end of the day it is mutilation. I figured members of this forum and certainly "red pill" guys would be against it.

Here's the thread I was referring to:

http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-19974.html

Let's put this up: Penn & Teller, about circumcision

Part 2 is there too.

Like I said, I'm not trying to call anyone out or make fun because they are uncircumcised. We were young and fucking around. When you're young you look for anything to crack jokes with your boys about. I could give two shits less who's circumcised and who's not.