rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Kuala Lumpur Datasheet + Game Guide

What's up all. Longtime reader, brand new poster, wanted to give back etc etc.

I've noticed Malaysia gets no respect on this forum. For all the guys here living or dreaming of living in southeast Asia, there are maybe three threads that cover KL at any length, and those are pretty superficial. We got dudes triangulating Bangkok pussy soi-by-soi with laser guided precision, we got the ins and outs of Hong Kong and Tokyo girls discussed in detail that is at once inspiring and god damn disgusting, and meanwhile millions of beautiful young girls go about their humdrum Malaysian lives completely unmolested by our game-running ways. I mean, I'm working it hard down here, but KL's a huge city and I'm only one man (with admittedly the genitals of three, but I digress). There's a lot of good women blossoming, getting hitched, getting fat, and going to waste without ever once getting properly negged.

It's a damn shame, and one I mean to rectify.

So here's a KL data sheet with the good, the bad, and how to avoid the uggoes.

About me: American, mid-twenties, living and working in KL for over a year now. I make decent money and have a nice-ish place but nothing inordinately grand. I'm white, in good shape, and (height trolls, lean forward) stand a scant five-foot-eight. Good confidence, average game. Your garden variety rooshdude.

And--sharing this not to brag, only as an endorsement of my adopted city--my count since arriving in KL is comfortably in double digits, which is multiple times better than any previous year of my life. That's despite arriving with no social group and almost no connections. Hence my enthusiasm for KL.

The KL Basics

I've been to every other major city in the region, and outside of Singapore, I don't think any is as liveable as KL. Singapore is nicer, KL's a lot cheaper, but not so cheap that you contend with widespread poverty like you would in Manila, Phnom Penh, or parts of Bangkok. There is a huge area of KL that appears almost first world, which (IMHO) makes it a better place to post up long term than those other three. Your mileage may vary.

Currency is the ringgit (Rm), 3.1 ringgits to the dollar.

Getting In

If you're coming to Malaysia, odds are you're on a plane landing at KLIA or perhaps LCCT, which are basically adjacent. There's a train, busses, and taxis to take you into the city. I prefer the express train, which is Rm 35. If you're saving cash (not a bad idea, given the price of booze, which more on that later) then take the Rm 8 bus which'll get you to KL Sentral, the city's big transportation hub, in about 45 minutes.

The visa situation is also good: Americans, and I assume Europeans too, get a free three-month visa upon entry. You don't even fill out a form. When your three months are up, take a weekend trip to Singapore, Thailand, or Indonesia, all of which are within easy and affordable reach on AirAsia/Tiger Air/SEAir, and you get three more months when you come back. Plenty of expats working here never get anything more than the default tourist visa.

People

Ethnically, Malaysia is half Malay (Malays are by law Muslim), then increasingly smaller parts Chinese, Indian (mostly Tamil, with those dinnerplate eyes), and Indigenous, plus a healthy sprinkling of Miscellaneous. When you get outside KL, there are areas that are predominately Malay or Chinese, but the city itself seems evenly split between the two. I don't know the demographics but there are plenty of both around for those hellbent on one or the other.

Language

There is effectively no language barrier in KL. Signage is in English nearly as often as Malay, and if you pick the average girl, odds are she'll have passable to good English.

Transportation

Having previously lived in NYC and Chicago, I think public transportation here is good-ish. The light rail and monorail cover most places you want to go and get you there for Rm 4 or less; print out a system map, put it in your wallet, and you'll never need to fuck with taxis and traffic.

About those: there are two types of taxis. Beat little red and white cars, which are more prevalent, and blue vans ("teksi eksekutif") which are more comfortable and more expensive. All are metered and marked prominently with signs saying "THIS IS A METERED TAXI HAGGLING PROHIBITED" which is how you know that the moment you hail one, the driver is gonna start quoting you some exhorbitant price that bears no relation to what your trip should actually cost. A cabbie was recently put in jail for charging a tourist couple (Danish, if memory serves) Rm 850 for a ride that should've been Rm 10. That's extreme but indicative of the cabbies' basic approach. Don't pay the trumped up price, it only encourages those fuckers. Demand the meter. If they won't use it, take the next cab, it'll be along shortly. If you use the meter, cabs are dirt cheap and usually competitive in price with mass transit when you have a group of three or more. But during the week, traffic is hell from 7 AM to at least 9 or 10 PM and this can make long rides much, much longer.

Accommodations

There are several big clusters of hotels and apartments throughout the city, but let me recommend you stay in Bukit Bintang or near KLCC (that's where the Petronas Towers are). Both are central, upscale though not necessarily expensive, and have easy access to transportation around and about. I'll say more on pick up below, but for now, let's consider your pickup style and time available. ONS, SNL: Easier in Bukit Bintang, but KL isn't a great ONS city. Second night lay: KLCC or Bukit Bintang. KLCC has more housing and a lot more good options on AirBnB. FWIW, I've chosen KLCC.

Getting Fresh

Temperatures are balls hot and the natives walk around in flannel and tight jeans anyway. So it goes in SE Asia. If you wanna pick up, bring dark wash jeans, Vans Authentic or the equivalent, and at minimum a t-shirt that fits properly. Supposing you didn't forget your white skin at home, a basic outfit like that will be enough to get you past any bouncer and give off a "stylish, very possibly paid" vibe to rando girls you meet. Can't speak to the experiences of non-white dudes, other than to say this is a race-obsessed (not to say racist) country and my suspicion is that clubs set the bar a notch or two higher for Asian guys.

Food

Last thing point before we get to game and nightlife: The food scene is incredible. To my mind, Malay, Chinese, and Indian are three of the world's great cuisines and all are present here in such variety and quantity that you'll never try it all. You're probably familiar with Chinese and Indian; Malay I'd situate between Indian and Thai. It's greasier and meatier than Chinese, Indian, or Thai, and comes complete with a huge range of semi-sweet dessert cakes ("kuih") that I'm gonna miss so hard once I leave this place.

A few of my favorites to sample while you're around: Stingray, a yam ring, and any kind of pork from a Chinese place; roti canai (a chewy flat bread), nasi lemak (the signature Malay dish but not available everywhere), satay, and kueh teow bandung from a Malay place; banana leaf pure vegetarian, barfi (dessert for people who like hyper-sweet stuff), and a pile of rice, chicken thighs and feet, salted hardboiled eggs, steamed/sauteed vegetables, and mixed sauces off the ubiquitous buffets at the Indian/"nasi kandar" places. Don't be afraid of street food. It's at least semi-regulated and has never given me trouble. At stalls and open air restaurants, expect to pay Rm 8 or less for food and drink; eat inside in aircon, you're looking at closer to Rm 20. Check Timeout KL if you're willing to throw down for some high-end variations on local fare.

Aight, enough of that. Let's talk about something that matters.

Nightlife

I write this from the perspective of a dude who doesn't go out for the sake of going out. I regard dressing up, overpaying for drinks, dancing to American Top 40 remixes, and making small talk in the bathroom line as bullshit I put up with to get laid, or to be around friends. None of that's my idea of a good time. So when I say KL's nightlife is alright, I mean there are enough venues with chicks dancing and drinking that you can find one party popping most nights, and more on the weekend. If that's your thing. And there are also plenty of places to get a quiet drink, but it's gonna cost you.

Doin Good Dranking

My own preference is to get some beers with friends, but however you do your drinking, in KL you have to start by adjusting your expectations. Anyone who's traveled to developing countries knows what an embarrassment of boozy riches we have in America and Europe; in KL, like most places in this part of the world, there are only a few options for beer. You can find Hoegaarden, Heineken, and Guinness. If you want something you never tried before, take a Tiger. It's bland, inoffensive, and way ahead of the competition. The other big Malaysian beers--Anchor, Carlsberg, Royal Stout--are fucking foul and this is coming from a guy who savors each sip of a Keystone Ice. Liquors range from upcycled battery acid to pretty pretty pretty good. Rm 40 for a fifth of rum is a reasonable price point if you wanna be assured you won't go blind.

Which raises another point: Rm 40, or about USD 13, for mediocre liquor isn't cheap, especially when you're paying $3 max for most meals. If you like drinking--well of course you like drinking, who the hell don't?--you will quickly find that KL has some of the priciest, if not the priciest, booze in the world. Seriously, in the world.

New York, London, Moscow, they all have places where you can blow half your paycheck on a bar tab, but they have even more hole in the wall alternatives where beers are a couple three bucks. Thanks to Malaysia's hefty sin tax, there is no cheap drinking in KL. Awful beer is never less than Rm 10 at a restaurant or bar. Good beer isn't available most places, and where it is, you should expect to pay Rm 20 at minimum. In the most popular bars and clubs, at the most poppingest times of night, drinks are going for Rm 30-50 and up. If you're pimping on a budget and alcohol is a big part of your game, this isn't the city for you.

If you're gonna drink anyway, your best options are pregaming and/or finding an open air Chinese restaurant. For pregaming, hit Cold Storage or an equivalent grocery store, head for the "haram" section (where they keep the vodka, spam, and other Muslim-world unmentionables) and stock up on the half liters of bottom shelf liquor. Rm 8-10, the absolute most booze for you ringgit anywhere in Malaysia. Mix and enjoy. The open air Chinese places sell liters of Tiger and Carlsberg for Rm 13-16. Look for these places in Chinatown, or even better, near Jalan Changkat in Bukit Bintang--that's right around the corner from a lot of nightlife.

Bars & Clubs

Expat central is the long row of bars on Jalan Changkat. Outside of white nationalism I see no reason to ever visit this place but it is convenient and, since much of the crowd is tourists, lively throughout the week. The best places are Finnegan's, The Social, and Havana. Havana has an upstairs dance floor, and if you appear foreign, they'll let you up to grind on other foreigners. Of the three, The Social has the most locals and overall the best crowd. It also has a cover on weekends.

You could conceivably pick up western-style hos by running western-style game on Jalan Changkat. Cellulite fetishists need look no further, in fact. But did you come to KL to get short ribs at TGI Fridays? To eat at KFC? Right, and neither should you fly halfway around the world to fuck a backtalking Connecticut girl fresh out of UPenn doing her operations rotation in Citibank's Malaysia office. Don't be one of the dudes who hits Changkat every single Friday and Saturday night. The chick in the cubicle next to mine has been boned by enough vacationing Aussies who never skyped her when their flights touched down in Bangkok the next day, even though they promised they would; the emotional wounds / vaginal chafing need time, time to heal. Look elsewhere.

For instance:

Zouk (KLCC) - This is the KL club. It's huge and gets some big names on the turntables. There will be local girls dancing unattended here, and they'll be getting a lot of attention. There's also a selection of higher-caliber expat girls than you find on Changkat. The "best party in KL" moves from club to club quicker than I can keep up with, but Zouk seems to remain, if not the best, then close. That's why I say this is your surest bet for a club pick up. Dudes under 23 aren't allowed, cover ranges from Rm 20 - 60.

Skybar (KLCC) - This is a beautiful space. When my friends and I are drunk and it's midnight and we can't figure what to do, we go here, order whatever's cheapest on the menu (I recommend the nachos), and chill out. It's on the top floor of a hotel and has great views. Good place to take a girl if you wanna win her heart by slanging some cash--which btw, not a bad approach, Beta Baller game is not dead in this corner of the world.

Butter Factory (KLCC) - You know how some clubs are unmarked and hard to find, to give them that air of exclusivity? This place takes the opposite approach. It's a huge black cube, labeled "The Butter Factory," standing in the middle of a centrally located but mostly undeveloped lot. Really new, so it attracts a lot of local/national celebs and girls curious to get a glimpse of them. As clubs of the moment go, I say Lust (reviewed below) is more fun, but this place has more girls and is probably better for meeting one.

The Pool (KLCC-ish) - If you're coming by train, this is closer to the Ampang Park stop than KLCC. Another cool space, better for when you've already got a girl than when you're looking. There's a pool, a view, expensive drinks, trendy music, all the upscale bar essentials. On nights when Pool has big parties, there are enough people standing around mingling that you can do some approaches. Otherwise, if you're in pick up mode, save the Rm 35 cover and go elsewhere.

STAGE (KLCC) - A new club near KLCC. I went one night when they were having a special event and it was packed. I hear that normally it's not so busy. If you're staying near KLCC, check their web site to see if they've got a special DJ or after party, and if they don't, try someplace else.

Coliseum Cafe (KLCC-ish) - A LouieG favorite that is decidedly not for picking up. This is the closest thing to dive bar I've found in KL. A pint of Tiger is Rm 10, and that might be the best price in KL. Malaysian-style bar snacks are good too.

Bedroom (Bukit Bintang) - On the top floor of Pavilion mall. This place does good business, to the point it's standing room only some nights--perfect for approaching. It also has "models' night" every Thursday, which I figured was a transparent ploy to pack the place with dudes, but no, there actually were models, or women who could pass for it, and the guys at the door kept the guys/chixxx ratio pretty favorable. Worth checking out.

Lust (Bukit Bintang) - A contender for best party in KL right now. Dancing, electronic / hip-hop music, some unattached girls open to being approached. As far as I can see, not any different from the other big clubs mentioned here, but for some reason it's "the place to go." The dudes are noticeably drunker, the girls noticeably drunker and hotter. Even someone like me who's not into clubbing can have fun here.

Pulse (Bukit Bintang) - Between the cover and drink prices, I think this is the most expensive place on my list. You can get your money's worth, though. There are a lot of beautiful girls here, and the dance floor was at full capacity each time I went. Caveat emptor: I've only been on Friday nights. Weekdays, I doubt the crowd is as good, so I wouldn't bother unless you're bringing some friends and you're cool just hanging with them.

Mist/MILK - Not really close to either KLCC or Bukit Bintang. Get a cab; if you're staying in a hotel, have the concierge tell the cabbie where you're going. But a lot of cabbies will know Mist by name. It's the bigger, louder section of this club, which is far enough off the beaten path to have an almost exclusively local crowd. It's also got a big enough dance floor that there will be some girls by themselves. MILK, connected to Mist, is smaller and supposedly more upmarket. I haven't been in MILK except while incoherently drunk so I'll withhold comment.

Centro (KL Sentral) - Pronounced "chentro," fyi. Your cabbie will know where KL Sentral is. Tho I've never been, Naughty Nomad said he picked up here so I'm tossing it on the list.

If you wanna know where the party is at on a given night, check Timeout KL for its listing of special events and DJ sets. Timeout KL is a great resource--they'll give you a better idea where the locals are partying than any cabbie or concierge. And as noted above, the KL club scene changes really fast; I've only been around a year and already I've seen crowds grow and shrink at the same club. So beware this list is likely to be outdated in three months, max.

Even better than Timeout is straight asking some girls where they're going and adjusting your plans accordingly. You may already have some idea how this is done. If not, let me recommend...

LouieG's KL Game

Tried and true, my method is all about hitting the malls. This is why I recommend staying in Bukit Bintang. It has nightlife, but it's got even more malls: Pavilion, Farenheit, Times Square Plaza, and BB Plaza / Sungei Wang ("Soon-gay Wong") are my go-to's, ordered from most expensive to least.

Pavilion is full of premium, designer outlets (think Burberry, Salvatore Ferragamo, LouisV) and girls who shop at places like that. For a quick look at the talent KL has to offer, walk around Pavilion. If you don't like the girls here, then you don't like KL girls, but I got a feeling you're gonna like what you see. KLCC Suria is a similarly upscale mall with no less talent on display. The drawback of KLCC Suria and Pavilion is that the stores are super fucking expensive, so I notice a lot of girls are with their parents. Still, I've gotten dates from each.

For an even more target rich environment, head to Sungei Wang or Times Square. These are both absolutely sprawling malls lined with middling to cheap apparel and electronics stores, and they're packed with girls strolling in groups or alone, just passing the time. (Seriously, this is what girls here do: They go to the mall and walk around. So no worries about interrupting them, they probably weren't doing shit to begin with.) In Sungei Wang, you can look for girls anywhere. In Times Square, I recommend concentrating your efforts near the arcade, bowling alley, and amusement park.

When I'm meeting girls, I look for one of two promising signs: A girl all alone, or a group of four to six girls.

Girls alllllll alone

When approaching a girl by herself, my style is similar to what I use in the states, but I try to come off friendlier and more unimposing than I would in America. I tend to assume attraction exists immediately, which is safe to do if: you are exceptionally attractive and of any ethnic background, or if you've bathed recently and are white. As I mentioned in another thread, Malaysians have an odd fixation on Caucasians. They like Caucasian skin, obvs, but also Caucasian facial features, like nose shape and eyes. I've had at least 20 girls (most of them just friends) tell me they want their kids to have a nose shaped like mine. I never once heard anything like that before coming here. They also say I have beautiful eyes, to which I can only be like, "Lol, my eyes are brown." If you have blue or green eyes, girls may ask you to prove you aren't wearing contacts and--once they're satisfied your eye color is genuine--to impregnate them.

Point being, if you have difficulty opening a girl who's alone, the problem isn't your looks. It's more likely she's intimidated. Don't let her feel like that: Be low key but very, very friendly, and smile extra bright. Start with Roosh's elderly opener. You're a foreigner, so you can ask about anything. My approach is often to ask for directions around Sungei Wang or Times Square. These places have so many identical floors of identical stores, they may as well be mazes, so when the girls points you the way, ask her to walk with you and show you.

This is a really good test to separate those who are interested from those who are not, or who are too bowled over by your presence to spend one more minute with you. And that's big. Many Malaysian girls are just paralyzingly timid, and gaming those types is more work than I got time for. You want a girl with enough confidence to walk you to Tutti Frutti.

As you're walking, get her to talk a little bit, till you see she's no longer in shock from talking to a foreign guy, and then you take over. As in any approach, you should expect to do most of the talking, and in Malaysia you'll probably do even more than you're used to. Good topics include anything you've experienced in Malaysia. Ate a really hot chili at a food stall? Rode a Transnasional bus from KL to Penang, forgot your fleece, and froze your nuts off en route? Saw a chicken slaughtered at the wet market? Got a henna tattoo? (Don't actually do this, tell her it washed off.) These topics kill. You should be animated as you talk, to the point you feel goofy. If she senses you're trying to impress her, that's not game over. That's making her feel marginally less nervous.

Once you arrive wherever she's taking you, try to hook her in. Restaurants are good for this. She can help you pick something off the menu. I've also done DVD shops and then asked for recommendations on Malay / Korean / Bollywood movies. Don't let the conversation fixate on the food or whatever's in the store. Keep talking about yourself. Tell stories. Don't bring up politics, religion, or history, and definitely don't ask her questions about these topics. If she doesn't know the answer, she'll feel dumb and get self-conscious all over again.

Between walking to the store/restaurant, choosing what you want, and sometimes waiting for your food, you've probably already passed ten or fifteen minutes. At this point, I usually ask about her plans, get a phone number, and go on my way, as per Roosh's GALNUC. If she also orders something at the restaurant, you've got an instadate, but this isn't necessarily a good thing. Some girls will go this far with you to be polite, or because they're too nervous to excuse themselves (true anywhere I guess, but esp. in KL). These girls will eat claypot chicken with you all day, but they will never fuck you. I think it's better to part ways and start looking for another number, in case the first one flakes.

Of course, you can take that routine a hundred other directions. Ask a girl on the monorail to tell you when the train's reached your stop, and chat until you arrive. Get the girl working at an empty kopitiam to explain all the drinks to you, then segue into something more meaningful (this has gotten me a date and free coffee). Wherever you see a girl, engage her on some topic she can talk about easily till she starts to relax around you. The basic point is this: KL girls, far from being the delusionally confident egocases you find among western women, are mostly shy and uneasy around strange men. No worries, they're wonderful once they open up. To reach that point, you should focus on building comfort by appearing relatable and non-threatening. Turn off your "was that beta?" sensors and ditch your cocky/teasing routines until date two or three. That shit still works, but you're apt to deploy it too early if you're gaming urban America style.

Going for groups

The longer I'm in KL, the less I approach girls who are alone (and I spend two hours every week on cold, daytime approaches, so I get a lot of reps). They're too skittish, and you run into a lot that simply won't engage. Instead, my bread and butter nowadays is groups of girls. I find four to six girls together is ideal. Not sure if I'd have the balls to approach such large groups back in the states, but in KL it's much easier to open groups than singles, and here's why:

1) Strength in numbers - As mentioned above, the girls here are shy. Girls whose shyness makes them totally unreachable when they're alone become bolder among friends. When you're approaching girls by themselves, around half will be too shy to talk. In a group of six, I expect five will feel comfortable enough to talk with me.

2) Playing the odds - And some girls aren't shy at all, and you find these types way quicker when you're approaching a bunch of chicks at once. In a group of four, one usually is very outgoing and, with her friends at her back, will be immediately open and talkative. That's a hot lead; if you're into her figuratively, it'll be a lot less work getting into her literally.

3) Let them do the work - Be prepared for the girls to spend half the time you're around them talking amongst themselves in Malay or Mandarin. They're talking about you, of course. This is awesome now that I speak decent Malay; I get to eavesdrop on what they assume is a private conversation, and it's like I'm reading their thoughts. (Btw, my Chinese friends who aren't from Malaysia have mixed experiences with this. Usually people assume they know Mandarin, but sometimes they don't.) Even if you don't speak either language, you'll still get some very forward IOIs. About half the time, one of the girls will point at a friend and say to you, "She thinks you're handsome," "She so like you," "She like your nose." Great: target acquired. Or one girl will just come out and say she wants to be your girlfriend (unbelievable, but true) and the whole group will collapse into giggles--that means they're embarrassed, not that they're mocking you. None of this ever happens when you talk to a girl by herself.

Opening groups isn't much different than opening loners. Again, I head to Times Square or Sungei Wang (you find very few groups like this in Pavilion and Suria KLCC), choose a restaurant or DVD shop, and ask a group to show me the way. More than half the time, they say yes. At the shop, I get their help choosing something--maybe an Rm 5 DVD. If things are going smoothly, I ask where they're going next and come along. If they mention karaoke or bowling (both very popular), I say "that sounds cool, let's go do it now." Suddenly, you're hanging out with them for an hour--tho of course you shouldn't waste that time if they're not acting interested. If it's late evening, you can sometimes switch directly to hanging at a bar or club, but not usually, since the girls will want to go home and change before going out. More often, I get a phone number from the girl I talked to most, and see if she's doing something later. At this point, the game becomes pretty standard: You're trying to isolate her, and you may have to hang with her friends a bit more before that's possible.

When I'm with a group of girls, I talk a lot less and make my contributions cockier, funnier, and more animated. (Being goofy is funny across cultures; being wry and witty isn't.) I also start flirting earlier. This is a lot closer to American game, really. When you're pursuing a girl by herself, I take my homeland game from a 10 down to a 2 or 3. With groups, it's more like from 10 to 7.

The close

Don't let the tudung (head scarf) fool you. Malay girls, who are all at least culturally Muslim, still fuck. But most of them won't drink. Doing so is haram for them, and there are occasional raids on clubs and bars to arrest Malays who are drinking. The po won't bother anyone else, just the Malays. (Yeah, this is one fucked up country.) I never even ask if they drink, I just assume they don't and take them back to my place stone sober. Once there, I pull out the photos or put on a movie and ramp up the kino. That's usually date two, and sometimes that's all I need, but with Malay girls I'm willing to push sex back to date four or five.

A little more about Malays. Malay girls account for more than half my sample size. Beneath the tudung, most of them have gorgeous black hair, and they've got a lot more of the good curves than Chinese girls. They'll be more hesitant and more resistant than other KL girls, and you will be richly rewarded for navigating their shit tests. Several of the Malays I've been with rank among my all-time great lays, and both girls I'm seeing now are Malay. So yeah, I'm a fan.

With Chinese and Indian girls, I take them somewhere cheap and Chinese to get a little tipsy, then hit a club, have a few more drinks (try to go on ladies nights; she'll get free drinks and can slip some your way), and get her back to my place. Standard stuff.

Five More Things To Do In/Around KL When You're Not Chasing

1. Tour the National Mosque (Masjid Negara on any map). Architecturally interesting, but perhaps better as a window into the Malay mind. If your tour is like mine, it'll conclude with a short talk on Islam and how the Quran predicted shit like the double-helix structure of DNA, elliptical orbits of the planets, and World War II. There's a decent Malaysian history museum a short walk away.

2. Batu Caves. Outside KL, you can get there on the trains. This is an impressive Hindu (or maybe Buddhist, I should really know this shit...) site with several temples and a giant gold-colored statue of some god, which they built like six years ago. Whatever, it still looks cool.

3. Walk around Chinatown. Some temples, if you're into that, plus a central street (Petaling, I think) jammed with vendors selling all counterfeit everything.

4. Day trip to Melaka. About two hours away, and you can get there by bus. A strategic settlement on the Straits of Melaka that dates back to the 1400s, formerly controlled by every European country that every had its shit together, now Melaka's got old forts, a river tour, and some cool variations on standard Malaysian foods.

5. Eat. This is really where it's at for me. Get a hotel or condo with gym access, hit the treadmill in the morning, and then spend the day eating and gaming your way across KL.

Final Thoughts

I don't get why Malaysia isn't more of a tourist destination. It's sandwiched between Thailand and Indonesia, the east coast beaches are like something off a postcard and rival anything else you'll find in the region, and there are huge tracts of the country (tho not KL) where you can experience traditional Malay culture without leaving behind first world comforts. I assume it has to do with the booze being pricey and altogether unavailable in places, but that seems like a real thin reason to not visit a whole country.

As for the women, yeah, they take a little more patience, but they are beautiful and alluring and wonderfully feminine; good luck going back to American girls after spending any time over here. I'd encourage any of y'all to visit, and of course hit me up when you do.

TL;DR: If you're coming to this part of the world, don't sleep on KL. It's packed up with real right-look girls who love western guys, and they don't even need to be drunk to fuck you.

Aight, that's all I got to say about that. Thoughts, questions?

I spent 3 days in KL and dont have much love for it. There is a bad vibe there for me. If I ever end up there again will ping you to turn my head around on that place. It wasent terrible, just not great IMO.

TD

Very interesting report. While living in India for three years, I had wondered about about Malaysia. It's good to know that local girls are intrigued by foreigners. Sounds like it's much better than India in that it's easy to get dates with girls. Having to wait 2-5 dates to get a bang is no surprise but still unfortunate. With a wait like that, getting up to double digits would be a considerable accomplishment.

I passed through the KL airport a few times. The visual quality of the girls there was not bad. Some exotic girls, mostly East Asian looking but with some Indian blood mixed in there.

The alcohol situation sounds a bit depressing. One thing I learned is that if you live somewhere long enough will you eventually grow to enjoy the local beverages, whatever they are. Give those local beers some time and you may like them as much as Keystone Ice (you actually like Keystone Ice?).

Your report makes Malaysia sound like not a bad place to end up, like if your work sends you there, but it also sounds like it's not as good as nearby countries for chasing poosy. You definitely should take advantage of your location and visit Thailand and Philippines. If possible, check out central Asia too.

Great data sheet on KL/Malaysia. I've been to KL but didn't game there. I was quite busy fighting off a virus on my laptop which I got in KL and solving some problem with my creditcard which i needed to buy a flight to the Phils. Just been there 3 nights and did some sightseeing too. One of the reasons i didn't go out at night is that the prices are skyhigh in most clubs (for a backpacker)
I captured the Malaysian flag in Langkawi though. Nearly got stabbed by her later. And a Belgium (french speaking part) flag on the Perhintian islands.

A +1 from me

Book - Around the World in 80 Girls - The Epic 3 Year Trip of a Backpacking Casanova

My new book Famles - Fables and Fairytales for Men is out now on Amazon.

Good report! (though a tad talky)

I spent a week in KL a couple of years and liked the place. The reason it doesn't get the same attention from international players has a lot to do with Thailand being next door. I wouldn't recommend KL for someone staying less than 4 weeks as you need those extra dates which will increase your cost per notch.

Excellent and highly detailed data sheet! I'm gonna subscribe and check back in case I ever return.

I've taken a couple of trips to KL to hang out with a few of my friends from the US whom went over to work there. From Tuesday til Saturday, It was always some bar in Changkat -> Some Club in Bukit Bintang and then Zouk and then a Nasi Lemak breakfeast. Always a good time but I've never cold approach game since I just stick with my network down there but I'll take all this into consideration next time I'm there.

I don't think the alcohol price is that much of an issue considering everything else when it comes to standard of living is dirt cheap there. The Club Raiding issue is horrible but it only occurs more frequently when it comes time closer to an election or political change. Check your twitter feeds to avoid crashing the wrong party.

Honestly, I don't find the (Chinese & Malays) there attractive but that's just me. There's plenty of other ethnic talents and expats in KL anyways. The Malay/Singapore accent however is just too much for me to look past.

Great report. Interesting how you found it better to approach groups vs girls walking around alone. Maybe that's the way to go in Asia.

A couple questions:
Did you find Chinese, Malay or Indian girls easiest? Lots of Malay chicks wear head scarves, how did you know what you were getting?

Were the Indian chicks very easy and or hot? I ran into a German guy in KL who had spent a year in India and was gaming Indian chicks in KL.

I think the fact that Malaysia is Muslim and has expensive beer & alcohol is a reason why it's not quite as popular as say Thailand. It's actually more liberal in Indonesia than in Malaysia, although of course you also have more right wing extremists as well.

I found the Chinese girls in KL pretty hot, but a good part of that is that they walk around very skimpily dressed.

Solid data sheet. Making me reconsider my time there. I wouldn't rule out returning with this info.
OP is on point with the food. KL cuisine is incredible. Also, I was pleased to find a different variety of beer in 7/11s than in Thailand. For some reason I drank a lot of stouts from KL 7/11s. And drank a lot of Paulaner around the Golden Triangle.

Much like truedat, I got a horrible vibe in KL. Was there for 4 days and couldn't wait to leave by the end of it. The mix of people was pretty cool thinking back. At the time I wasn't a fan. I think I expected it to be similiar to Bangkok, which it wasn't at all, and it really threw me off.

< site currently trashed >

Great data sheet. I probably spent about 4 months this year in Malaysia and KL is one of my favorite SE Asian cities hands down. The reason it is not very popular with most western tourists is that the prices can lead to sticker shock, especially if you are coming from Thailand. I would imagine that as a country they feel no need to drop alcohol prices of compete with Thailand because they get plenty of tourists from the Muslim world.

If you want to drink just get a bottle of liquor from the KK, but stay away from things like bear beer. If you pre-drink then you will buy less if you go out. I was seeing someone most of the time so only tried going to a club once and we passed because of the cover. I was told that some of the club covers include a drink, especially at the places geared towards foreigners. Like Louie said, the food is also very cheap if you are willing to eat what locals eat and believe me there is a ton of variety. Two of my favorite things were lamb murtabak and nasi ayam. I live in the Southern US and I have to admit that the fried chicken there was amazing. The fact that many places, including McDonalds, serve halal food is also a huge plus.

The women wear the hijab because if I'm not mistaken all Muslim women are required by law to cover their heads in public and most/all Malay's are technically Muslim. I get the impression that they are fairly permissive and a lot of things are looked the other way on. For example, a Malay woman may wear her hijab all day, but if you see her at a night club she won't have it on. The first time a Malay guy told me about meeting a girl in the club and the having sex with her after one date I was in a state of disbelief. According to the Malay guys I met, there is not much reason to let the presence of a hijab stop you from talking to a woman as long as you are willing to be respectful towards her. The fact that many of them, especially in KL speak English and have probably seen most American movies you have, means that it is usually easy to get some of your wit across in a way that they understand.

For men who are put off or scared by the idea of a woman being Muslim, there are tons of other options. Before going to Malaysia I had never seen a Chinese girl that I thought was attractive. Being a large, affluent city in SE Asia also means that there are tons of international workers and students in the area. In fact if you venture into certain areas don't be surprised to find Filipinos, Africans and so forth. The most beautiful woman I saw near the Pavillion was an African waitress.

I do disagree with one thing that Louie said. I talked to a lot of Malaysians and I never got the vibe that they cared much about white guys simply because they are white. In fact, Malaysia is probably the most ethnically diverse and accepting country in SE Asia. Although deep down there are tensions based on who is Indian, Chinese or native Malay; it is not out of the ordinary and nobody bats an eye when for example a native Malay marries a Chinese or Indian. Many of the Malaysians themselves also have a wide range of features due to so much mixing of people from different countries.

Just to add to the interesting places...Taman Negara is worth checking out if you have time and the inclination to do a hike. If you're only in KL you should definitely check out the Islamic Arts Museum.

If you don't mind me asking, what kind of work do you do?

Great topic. Sent you a PM.

The only time success comes before work is in the dictionary.
DATASHEETS: Singapore (2014) | Vietnam (2015) | Cebu (2015) | Honolulu (2016) | Couchsurfing (2016) | KS, Taiwan (2018)
BTC: 1MoAetVtsmM48mkRx66Z9gYkBZGzqepGb5

Great datasheet!

I have been to KL many times and I think it's one of the best places I have been in SEA.

1) There is precious little pay-for-sex industry ( I really don't like these places)
2) Once you step of your plane you'll see an enormous amount of 6s and 7s (yes few 8s+ in KL)
3) Girls you'll see are almost equal Malay, Chinese and Indian Girls all in just one place
4) The food is awesome, cheap and very diverse
5) Girls are very open and curious (though can be really shy as you noted) if you are white (or black?)
6) It's a minimal hassle city where you can live almost like at home (just for less)
7) No other language is needed
8) AirAsia gets you to anywhere in Asia for $30 or less (follow the deals)
9) It's formally islamic but I find it very easygoing and without the tacky/seedy places Thailand has
10) East Coast beaches are fantastic and few tourists even know about it

So I hope the city stays the undiscovered gem it is currently [Image: smile.gif]

What was your housing situation like?

Airbnb?

How much is your total monthly budget?

I've been here a few times on visa runs. Felt like a cheap dirty Singapore clone.

Seemed like a good place to post up for 3 months and crank out work before going to Bangkok for (real) fun.

Quote: (06-03-2013 11:03 AM)youngmobileglobal Wrote:  

What was your housing situation like?

Airbnb?

How much is your total monthly budget?

I've been here a few times on visa runs. Felt like a cheap dirty Singapore clone.

Seemed like a good place to post up for 3 months and crank out work before going to Bangkok for (real) fun.

I stayed in Executive Apartments. You can book them like a hotel on Expedia or just walk by and negotiate a long-term rate.

Budget depends on your spending patterns but it's generally on par with Bangkok and much cheaper than Singapore.

KL is more diverse and has much more culture than Singapore. Most areas are actually squeaky clean. I'm not a fan of Singapore (anymore).

My thoughts on Malaysia... I have been to Thailand, The Philippines, Indonesia and finally Malaysia. Out of the four, Malaysia seemed the most developed, cleanest and least crowded. Unfortunately, I spent only one three days in Kuala Lumpur (KL) and three days in Penang. After months in SEA, it was really enjoyable to roam in the centre of George Town in Penang and see virtually NO people! It was raining a bit but anyway, the next day was sunny and still it was much less crowded than any SEA cities / towns I visited. There was little traffic, without those idiotic motorbikes / scooters that you see in other SEA countries. Even in old suburbs there were no poor people hanging around (though they could have been "heritage" areas, not "poor" areas). Food was waaaay better than in the Philippines and Indonesia (excluding Bali).

Now the most important question - girls. I was roaming in KL in the streets and in shopping malls wondering where all pretty girls were. Then I realized that I subconsciously ignored girls wearing head scarfs. After that I started to look at their faces. There were cute girls but I do not think they were nicer than other girls in SEA. I did not have time for day game and went out only one night in KL. Approached a few sets of local girls but was rejected. Ended up taking to my hotel a sexy Filipina living here in KL and I can say she was the cutest girl I saw that night (but it could have been my bad luck).

Anyway, I did enjoy Malaysia and want to come again and spend more time - I got 90 day visa on arrival (or a visa-free permission to stay, whatever). So, if you need a visa run from Thailand - Malaysia could be a good option to chill out (e.g. Penang).

Bumping old thread.

Question to anyone who has been to KL and chased chicks there: how doable are the Indian girls?
India is ranked here as 'no go' as the women basically need marrying before they put out, and all the advice is 'get them overseas'. Are the Indian girls in KL passable in looks? Are they numerous? Are they as open to foreigners as the Malays & Chinese etc or are they clutching a dowry like their mainland counterparts? I'm not specifically into Indian girls, but I have a ToDo list, and I've seen some damn hot girls (read: epic boobs) from India / Sri Lanka before who I would not mind partaking in.

Quote: (11-01-2014 08:21 PM)Phoenix Wrote:  

Bumping old thread.

Question to anyone who has been to KL and chased chicks there: how doable are the Indian girls?
India is ranked here as 'no go' as the women basically need marrying before they put out, and all the advice is 'get them overseas'. Are the Indian girls in KL passable in looks? Are they numerous? Are they as open to foreigners as the Malays & Chinese etc or are they clutching a dowry like their mainland counterparts? I'm not specifically into Indian girls, but I have a ToDo list, and I've seen some damn hot girls (read: epic boobs) from India / Sri Lanka before who I would not mind partaking in.

The Indians, from my experience, are reasonable in Malaysia and aren't all holding out for marriage. I met two through Tinder, and I would rate as a 6 and a 7. I was only in KL for a few days so folk who have been there longer can give better advice, but I would say you have a good chance and won't be restricted by traditions.

Cheers. When you were going through tinder, about what percentages of the girls were Chinese, Malay, India, or other?

Are there other cities in Malaysia worth visiting (for girls)? Has anyone been to Eastern Malaysia (Borneo)?

Some really cool tips in this thread that I'm looking at making use of when I come back to KL, especially when it comes to night clubs.

I'll share my experience in KL as I've had a differing experience. I move around SEA quite regularly and KL is one of my usual haunts, mainly because of its amazing food. I'll often stay there over 1-2 weeks between my other favourite stops being Jakarta and Bangkok.

There are strict ethnic divisions in Malaysia. If you are with an Indian / Malay or Chinese girl in public, you are going to get stares from the corresponding Ethnic group, especially the men.

It's very different different to Indonesia, Thailand or even Chinese majority countries where walking around with a local wouldn't attract second glance. I find it off putting and I think the girls find it frightening.

With that being said, it seems like the country is packed with horny Chinese Malaysian girls. Using apps like Skout, Tindr or Blendr I was able to meet quite a few by simply inviting them back to my place. KL Chinese Natives are harder to game because most are very westernised and have spent a lot of time in places like Australia and Canada. I'd go as far to say that they are very similar to Singaporeans. No need to stress though as there is an abundance of transplants from provincial Malaysia and even Indonesian Chinese.

I also had good results in several Night Clubs; the most receptive seem to be the Middle Eastern tourists/students, the local Indian girls and the non-Muslim bumiputra (local) from places like Borneo. I wasn't attracted to most of the native Malays, though they are definately they friendliest bunch out of the pluralist population.

My checklist for success in KL was:
AIRBNB condo, with nice view
Close to a Monorail or LTR station
Near a really good Mamak (this is for my benefit)
Internet game using Smart Phone Apps (watch out for transexuals.)

My favourite city in Malaysia is Georgetown, Penang. Unfortunately the local talent is lacking, though you do get a lot of Chinese package tourists who are probably equally unengageable.

Thanks Cody, so both Indian and Middle-eastern are up for grabs, interesting.
Are these two groups quite numerous, or are they a small minority?

While they certainly are a minority they are more likely to crop up than Muslim Malays or cliquey Chinese people, especially in Night Clubs.

I personally didn't see the hype of KL, but I have to admit that the city definitely has an interesting character to it.

The population of KL is mostly Chinese and ethnic Malay, however there is also a huge Tamil population as well. As for Middle Easterners, there were only a few of them around from what I saw.

I don't know how accessible the Indians and ethnic Malays are, but the Chinese girls are hot and receptive. You need to keep in mind that ethnic Malays are Muslim by law and are not allowed to drink. The people in the nightclubs are mostly ethnic Chinese and foreigners.

KL also has an awesome expat community and it's a great place to start a business in SEA (especially due to its low and flat tax rates).

My interest is piqued regarding KL, but I'm hoping someone can be a little more specific on rent.

I see cost of living compared to BKK. But several people also recommend AirBnb, which doesn't support that statement at all. The prices there are closer to Manila than Bangkok.

Can anyone provide a general range on rental prices?

Also, are there any other good sites or sources to find rentals for stays a month or longer?

I ended up spending about a week in KL so I figured I'd add a review onto this thread. (If only interested in girls, its at the end).

Review
In a word: irritating.

There seems to be a pervasive 'general delinquency' throughout every aspect of the city. Everything and everyone seems to be irritatingly slow and inefficient. The traffic is basically fucked up at all hours. The trains don't cover much of the outer areas and I didn't find them that convenient, so I just stuck to Uber (which worked fairly well). I also heard that the trains there tend to break down often, which given the "can't be fucked" vibe of the city didn't surprise me at all.

Customer service in KL is something that has to be seen to be believed. Not only do they not try to help the customer, they actually have a 'fuck off' attitude towards the customer (especially the Indians, less so the Chinese). I've never felt personal anger towards a shop assistant for the way he or she was doing there job before I came to KL, and there I felt it often. I even had one guy basically say "yes I'm perfectly able to accommodate your request, but I am not going to under any circumstance". I felt slight concern that I was going to be unable to resist hitting him, and had to walk out immediately. Another guy stood deliberately ignoring me, behind the counter of a convenience store, and it took me getting right in his face for him to resume doing his job. Never have I witnessed such active cunt-like behaviour from paid customer service staff in my life. The owners of these places would do well to hire an additional staff member who's sole job it is to kick the shit out of the primary staff when they behave like cunts.

Other examples of KL delinquency include the hotel staff member telling me, in the elevator, that there was no cafe 'here or nearby', when in fact there was a 'cafe' sticker on the 3rd floor button, and an actual cafe on the 3rd floor. Also the laundry guy who had me pick out my clothes by eye from a massive pile, instead of being given them in a bag like everywhere else ever. Also a hotel telling me my reservation hadn't worked, until I pressed them with proof, after which they told me to wait 'for the system' (never had this problem elsewhere), and that they'd call me, only for me to have to check up on them after waiting 30 minutes. The internet in KL is also shit in a new kind of way - it is the first city that I have been unable to rely on '3G + wifi' redundancy to guarantee some form of internet connection. There was no way around it - both would fuck up, drop out, grind to a halt, even though they were independent networks, and the 3G was supposedly 'the best' telecom company (Maxis). There is also enough prevalence of English fluency to assume everyone speaks it (esp. the Chinese), but enough poor speakers to get pissed off by doing so. Also it's a country where they bullshit the prices, by quoting 'base prices' which exclude the '10% service charge' followed by the '7% tax'. Only other place I have seen this dipshittery was in Indonesia (and my review for that place is no more favourable). Also it was practically perfect for motorbike taxis - but there were none, I assume due to some government pricks passing a law.

That aside, the appearance of the city is decent. They've manage to get that right. It may be full of retards, but its a presentable city full of retards. The mix of people is also quite interesting. There are people far less commonly seen in East or South-East Asia, such as Arabs, Indians, and Africans. The hotels in the 4 and 5 star region are also good value.

With girls, there were quite a few good looking Chinese. I'd say the average hotness of the Chinese girls was slightly better than what I'd seen on the mainland (although my memory of that is a little fuzzy). I remember seeing a fair few I'd call 'hot'. There were many of the fair-skin variety, some of the big-tits variety, and many with pretty faces. The numbers were 'acceptable', but not 'impressive'. Perhaps if they made up 100% of the population it might have been better, because I saw almost nothing good in any other group. The Malays didn't even register. Yes I know they're wearing a cloak - but I can still see their faces, and never did I do a double-take. I was also hoping to have a crack at some Indian girls, but I only recall seeing one the whole time I was there that I would consider 'hot'. Beyond that one girl, the others wouldn't have even passed the boner test. Indian girls seem to have great difficulty not being ugly. Its like 99% of them are ugly and 1% are banging hot. On top of that most of the Indians in KL seem to be men, not women. Frankly if you want to bang a decent Indian girl, your odds are better in Australia. Oh well, I did fine with the Chinese. Also I saw next to none of the exotic Iranian girls I had been hoping to see, and the Arab girls were in full cloak.

On clubs and bars, the bars in Changkat are OK and heavy on the expats. Zouk is pretty good. It is basically 95% Chinese, but be prepared for 75% to be men. Butterfactory doesn't exist anymore, and has been replaced by some other club that is pointless visiting. The Skybar looked nice and had a broad mix of people, but I don't know how good it would be for picking up as I only visited briefly.

Would I visit again? Probably not.

I've been tempted to give KL a second-chance later in the year, though your review seems to be a bit more negative against it. Where in the city did you stay?