rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Mr Money Mustache Divorce

Reason #5,786 to not get married:

https://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2018/12/31/divorce/

I know a lot of guys on the forum are fans of this guy's blog and his tips on minimalism and doing things yourself. At least until he outed himself as a liberal, supporting minimalism for the purposes of climate change. He just posted about his divorce. It's a shame because I enjoyed all the posts he had about remodeling his house, building a detached office space in his backyard, etc. It seems now he had to move out and buy another house. He rents the extra rooms on AirBNB. He also now has no car. It seems his wife kept the Nissan Leaf he blogged about. He must have spent hundreds of hours alone remodeling that house and building the detached office structure and then had to move out. He also has a fairly young child.

I've followed his blog since it started and he portrayed a life to aspire to. What do you guys think happened here? Liberal beliefs and Betaization? An inevitable outcome due to our current culture? He lives in the ultra-liberal Boulder, CO area so that could be a factor.

Quote: (01-03-2019 08:01 PM)Hammerhead Wrote:  

Reason #5,786 to not get married:

I only needed two.

Quote: (01-03-2019 08:01 PM)Hammerhead Wrote:  

I've followed his blog since it started and he portrayed a life to aspire to. What do you guys think happened here?

I love MMM but, tbh, he's batshit crazy. He's got stories about being covered in sewage fixing his pipes, etc. If his wife is your typical low-value Western woman and she has the choice of putting up with that or taking half of his millions and his kids, what exactly did you think would happen here?

"I'm not worried about fucking terrorism, man. I was married for two fucking years. What are they going to do, scare me?"

Quote:Quote:

I love MMM but, tbh, he's batshit crazy. He's got stories about being covered in sewage fixing his pipes, etc. If his wife is your typical low-value Western woman and she has the choice of putting up with that or taking half of his millions and his kids, what exactly did you think would happen here?

Yep, just surprised because he was one of the few who seemed to be making it work. If he can't, I'm wondering if anyone can.

I think remodeling your own house is awesome and not crazy though. There were men in the past who would work all day, then come home and work on building their own house from scratch or assemble a craftsman home themselves.

Dude is giving advice on "How to Stay Married" in that post. Tells me prettymuch all I need to know about the guy.

What the fuck does he know about how to stay married?

Was this accounted for in his 2019 budget?

Off to read the post...I do not follow him too closely but read his blog from time to time. Like all things I think you take what you need from it and leave the rest. His starving the beast, fuck the mainstream consumer culture stuff I can really identify with.

Who?

G

MMM was one of the first blogs I followed regularly on the net. I'm not a hardcore moustachian, but I've taken a lot of the things he wrote about and adopted it for myself. Through him and others in the FIRE sphere, I clawed my way out of a 5-figure debt and am now on track to building actual wealth.

Anyways, this is slightly discouraging. I don't know all the details, but if a man like him can't make a marriage work (solid provider game, solid internet fame), then it just bodes ill for regular schmoes.

F

What's the FIRE sphere?

If this guy knew anything about finance, money management, and risk/asset management, he should have known that getting married in the modern day USA is beyond retarded as the higher income individual with very rare exceptions.

The case law in his state is easily available.

The endless examples of financial ruin are scattered all over the internets and in real life.

It's a pretty simple equation: IF I make more than my future spouse THEN don't get married. The end.

I have no sympathy for anyone that gets married in the modern era under the current legal structure. You have to be naive, ignorant, or stupid to do it at this point unless your chick makes way more than you.

Never get married guys, just find someone you hate and buy them a house instead. Quicker and easier.

This shit annoys me:

Quote:Quote:

The good news is that we have had about the most amicable separation that one could hope for, we all still spend plenty of time together and our son is still in the same loving environment he has always had. And I would venture to say that both of us parents are going to come out of the experience much better off than we were before.

Instead of seeing this as a major loss and warning other men against this, he tells men that everything's alright! Everything's the same! Even though reality couldn't be farther from the truth.

There's two things left out of the blog post that I'm curious about.

1. Is she taking his money? He said they filed for divorce themselves, and she has her own money, but is she going to be taking a cut of his stache?

2. Is she dating? Will she continue the cheapo lifestyle? It'll be funny to see if she dates a legitimately wealthy guy now, who can actually afford to take her places.

Quote: (01-04-2019 05:02 AM)RatInTheWoods Wrote:  

Never get married guys, just find someone you hate and buy them a house instead. Quicker and easier.

The older version of this was:

"What is marriage?"

"Marriage is where I find someone who hates me and I buy them a house."

Female: "Honey, we have millions of dollars in savings, can we stop living like poor people now?"

Male: "No."

2015: "No."

2016: "No."

2017: "No."

2018: "No."

Female: *files for divorce*

Quote: (01-04-2019 12:40 AM)Penta Sahi Wrote:  

MMM was one of the first blogs I followed regularly on the net. I'm not a hardcore moustachian, but I've taken a lot of the things he wrote about and adopted it for myself. Through him and others in the FIRE sphere, I clawed my way out of a 5-figure debt and am now on track to building actual wealth.

Anyways, this is slightly discouraging. I don't know all the details, but if a man like him can't make a marriage work (solid provider game, solid internet fame), then it just bodes ill for regular schmoes.

F

Quite possible, given his obsession with frugal living, that he was terrible at provider game in a day to day marriage and the only way he would "provide" her a moneyed lifestyle is if divorce courts forced him. I'm not shitting on him, many geniuses are nuts or have feet of clay in some way.

My guess is that he took his frugal life style way too far and she wanted to spend the riches. He was still religiously counting every dollar while she was dreaming of a bigger house(s), luxury vacations, better cars, better food, more experiences etc..

Let's run the options here for a woman.

Option A: Marry the guy that's really good with money, but is a minimalist and doesn't really care about vacations or new cars, he prefers accumulating capital and investing it wisely. He works 30 to 40 hours a week at his regular job, and uses his free time to tend to his outside investments. He then uses his excess capital to buy himself free time, which he spends going on hikes, swimming, relaxing, or working on personal projects. Some of his personal projects will take off. If any unexpected event ever happens, the guy is ready for it, financially speaking, because of his responsible behavior. The guy is happy. The girl is less so. At any point, the girl can choose to divorce, take half the guy's sacrifice-earned stuff, blow it all on vacations and new cars, and then go jump on Option B dick. Rinse and repeat.

Option B. Marry the guy that's working 60 hour weeks, whose finances are a house of cards, but he spends the money on vacations and new cars he can barely afford, pampering the girl. If an unexpected event ever happens, the guy is not ready for it, financially speaking, because of his irresponsible behavior. He has no personal projects and is dependent on income from work, everything depends on employment for this guy. He works so much that his mind is inclined to blow his money when he's not working, as a kind of "justification" for the stressful hours he's putting in day after day. The guy is not happy, the girl is. If and when that unexpected event happens, the girl simply divorces, leaving the guy holding the bag, and jumps on another dick. No sweat off her back. Rinse and repeat.

Let's face it, for all the talk of location independence being the dream for a lot of us, working 30 hours a week or less while living anywhere in the world, every woman with a pussy (it's 2019, necessary caveat) is location independent from the day she turns 18, with absolutely no effort needed on her end.

Got vagina, will travel. The female version of the location independence men can only earn through years of blood, sweat, toil, and tears.

As long as the supply of sex is lower than the demand for sex and there is no stigma to sleeping around or divorce, women will hold the upper hand in this game. And that means for the foreseeable future for those of us in the West. At the same time that they hold the power in a seller's market, they will complain about how hard life is and how all those buyers engaging in a bidding war for them are holding them down. The reality is "ladies is pimps too." Truer words were never spoken.

Go out there and earn my money, bitches.

What can you do as a guy to prevent these scenarios from unfolding? To prevent being pimped out? Pick a girl who doesn't have any experience exchanging sex for perks. And even then, there's no guarantees she won't whore you out.

Oh you're too sick to to work? F*** you, I gots to get my money. Oh you want to work less and go for hikes and swims? F*** you, I gots to get my money. Oh, you want to save for the future? F*** you, I gots to get my marble countertops, bitch! Oh, you want to spend less time working and more time taking care of your aging parents? F*** you, I gots to get my money, bitch!

Go make me some money, bitches, I gots to get my nails done, and frappes ain't cheap.

If you can't do it, she'll find someone else who can. And there's always someone else who can, with the stigma for sleeping around and/or divorcing removed, there's nothing preventing her from riding the cock carousel and being a parasite off the backs of every guy she mounts until the day she dies.

Oh, she's got a nice job? That means higher expectations, no amount of lube will ease the pain of the extra tricks you'll have to work to please that girl. In that case, go make me some MORE money, bitches.

∆Spaniard is based and redpilled∆

I am not as black pilled about the situation. I think men will adapt in the next 5-10 years thanks to being able to hide their wealth better thanks to Bitcoin or other privacy coins like Monero. Offshoring money has always been a thing (caymen islands, Sweden, Panama, etc) but it is already accessible to the average man with crypto.

They will get married abroad where the laws are more favorable. They won't tell their wife about the fortune in crypto they have.

Sure, you will never hear about the guys that beat the system. Sometimes you hear about successful men boast about it and if you make enough noise the system will comb through your past and come after you with everything it has (ie Martin shkreli, many other examples).

Men are smart, we compare notes. Look at the 4chan and even some subreddits talk about women, marriage, redpill concepts. Even incels and Mgtows caught on. It will be the same about squirrelling wealth in a way that cannot be confiscated. The omegas and betas will be first to catch on, many alphas will get wrecked in the mean time.

All good points. Just to clear things up for those who don't read the blog though. The guy did have a nice house that he remodeled himself, backed up to a park in the Boulder CO area. He also had 2 cars, one being brand new (Nissan Leaf though). They weren't living badly, so I'm wondering if it was something other than the frugality.

Damn. I too have kept an eye on his blog and FIRE forum. There's some good stuff there, stuff that I see repeated here a lot.

I wonder if all the while he was working hard on his brand and legacy, whether he blithely assumed she was always on his side all the way?

I'm disappointed this hasn't instantly red-pilled him, though who knows, the pill might just be slowly finding its way down there. The liberal slant to MMM is tiresome, but I've long thought what a beautiful thing a red-pilled MMM forum would be!

‘After you’ve got two eye-witness accounts, following an automobile accident, you begin
To worry about history’ – Tim Allen

Just proof of how abundant the blue pill is in 2018. At times you think the red pill is hitting out like wild fire only to be shocked by what is still happening in 2018.

Quote: (01-04-2019 10:45 AM)Hammerhead Wrote:  

All good points. Just to clear things up for those who don't read the blog though. The guy did have a nice house that he remodeled himself, backed up to a park in the Boulder CO area. He also had 2 cars, one being brand new (Nissan Leaf though). They weren't living badly, so I'm wondering if it was something other than the frugality.

And now SHE has a nice house and the new car. And millions of dollars more to upgrade and spend on whatever.

Quote: (01-04-2019 12:43 AM)SamuelBRoberts Wrote:  

What's the FIRE sphere?

FIRE = Financially Independent, Retired Early

I'm no expert, but you work, save a boat load of money, cut all unnecessary expenses and retire early.

Yet another reason to learn game.

Money only offers so much security. Game, in a way, is another form of security.

Not exactly surprised, though...he spends his days bragging on the internet about all the money he has sitting in the bank...most women are going to want to spend that shit eventually...

With attractive beta/blue pill types what tends to happen is they cheat and get caught. I also notice that these guys really care about what others around him think and try to win over everyone but this fails. This is also the reason they espouse liberal ideas, it's to make everyone like them and fit in. Secretly, they don't care about ideology, it's more that the ideology itself is permissive and convenient to what they like (drugs, sluts, immigrant women, etc).