rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Which rappers and rap group are in your top 5?

In the recent light of the greatest musician thread i decided to do one similar thread albeit different on rap

Which rappers and rap groups are in your top 5?

My top 5 for rappers
1. Nas
2.Prodigy
3. Big Pun
4. Az
5. Big L

My top 5 for rap groups
1. Mobb Deep
2. Wu tang clan (especially Raekwon)
3. Black star(especially Mos def)
4. UGK
5. Gang starr

I hate making these kinds of lists because it's so subjective and I like way more than just 5 (individual & groups lol).

When it comes to groups I might even put Wu-Tang Clan at #1 in hip hop. They've been in the game for so long and have such a deep roster of talent. I've seen Ghostface Killah perform live once in Chicago in 2005. Very high energy set.

There is a generational gap that exists now, however. Most of the young'ns could care less about these legendary old school heads that you referenced.

Wu-Tang clan number one for sure! Most of the Killa Beez I can enjoy too, eg. Cilvaringz

But lately I'm more into noisehop... Moodie Black, Blackhandpath, La Crabe etc

Quote: (06-19-2018 01:18 AM)jordypip23 Wrote:  

I hate making these kinds of lists because it's so subjective and I like way more than just 5 (individual & groups lol).

When it comes to groups I might even put Wu-Tang Clan at #1 in hip hop. They've been in the game for so long and have such a deep roster of talent. I've seen Ghostface Killah perform live once in Chicago in 2005. Very high energy set.

There is a generational gap that exists now, however. Most of the young'ns could care less about these legendary old school heads that you referenced.

I'm 18 myself and you're right few people listen to these goats in my generation. But those of my friends who i have shown this type of shit generally like it.

Quote: (06-19-2018 01:32 AM)VisionsofGandhi Wrote:  

I'm 18 myself and you're right few people listen to these goats in my generation. But those of my friends who i have shown this type of shit generally like it.

LOL I'm nearly double your age so I actually grew up listening to just about all the names that you mentioned. When I listen to the new stuff I'm mainly just trying to relate to & understand the new generation. All bets are off if I'm a little bit faded & in the club (which isn't nearly as often as it was several years ago). I can get down to most music as long as it has a decent beat.

Quote: (06-19-2018 01:34 AM)jordypip23 Wrote:  

LOL I'm nearly double your age so I actually grew up listening to just about all the names that you mentioned. When I listen to the new stuff I'm mainly just trying to relate to & understand the new generation. All bets are off if I'm a little bit faded & in the club (which isn't nearly as often as it was several years ago). I can get down to most music as long as it has a decent beat.
Yeah i get you, I don't hate all of the new shit but it doesn't have much worth outside of the club for me

Man , i found out about the battle of Algiers movie due to a mos def song, Nas put me on to Aesop fables. Which rap artist right know would even be able to put such things in his music even if he wanted it. He probably wouldn't know about certain stuff like that.

Quote: (06-19-2018 01:41 AM)VisionsofGandhi Wrote:  

Yeah i get you, I don't hate all of the new shit but it doesn't have much worth outside of the club for me

Man , i found out about the battle of Algiers movie due to a mos def song, Nas put me on to Aesop fables. Which rap artist right know would even be able to put such things in his music even if he wanted it. He probably wouldn't know about certain stuff like that.

Very few man, very few. BTW, did you have a chance to check out the new 7-song Nas record yet (produced by Kanye West)?

Quote: (06-19-2018 01:49 AM)jordypip23 Wrote:  

Very few man, very few. BTW, did you have a chance to check out the new 7-song Nas record yet (produced by Kanye West)?

Yeah, It was pretty good. Both lyrically and production wise . But it lacks heart , it doesn't really feel like a classic. What did you think

Quote: (06-19-2018 01:58 AM)VisionsofGandhi Wrote:  

Quote: (06-19-2018 01:49 AM)jordypip23 Wrote:  

Yeah, It was pretty good. Both lyrically and production wise . But it lacks heart , it doesn't really feel like a classic. What did you think

Yeah I totally agree. I probably a enjoyed the recent Pusha T record a bit more in terms of sheer entertainment value. Nas's earlier work is definitely some of the best ever in hip hop. His first album (Illmatic) is easily one of the greatest hip hop albums of all time. Many would say it's the greatest one ever, but of course it is a subjective argument. Some people prefer different styles of rap. It's on the youngsters to re-capture the spirit of the modern times that we live in. Nas was simply the best news messenger for the early 90's. O.G.'s can't really deliver the young man's message.

1. Lil Wayne.
2. Dwayne Carter.
3. Lil Tunechi.
4. Young Mula
5. Weezy F.

1. Tupac - let me say there are several rappers more lyrically gifted than he was. I don't walk around saying Tupac GOAT blah blah. 3 of my other top 5 were easily superior on the mic with the way they rhymed. I don't think he's the most talented rapper ever and anyone trying to claim that he was I'd have to strongly disagree with......he just hit home more than anyone else for me.

2. Rakim - When I first heard Follow the Leader back in '88 I knew the bar was raised as to how a MC should rhyme and beyond what anyone else was doing at that time.

3. Chuck D - Again like Pac not the most gifted on the mic but really hit hard. If his thought provoking anti establishment type rap was being pushed today I think white youths i see here in love with rap today wouldn't be as accepting to the music/culture today.

4. Big Daddy Kane - the first rapper I really wanted to be like. The smoothest sounding rapper ever.

5. Kool G Rap - your favorite rappers favorite rapper.

Groups:

1. EPMD

2. Public Enemy

3. Wu

4. Tribe

5 Mobb

Quote: (06-19-2018 03:09 PM)Banna Wrote:  

1. Tupac - let me say there are several rappers more lyrically gifted than he was. I don't walk around saying Tupac GOAT blah blah. 3 of my other top 5 were easily superior on the mic with the way they rhymed. I don't think he's the most talented rapper ever and anyone trying to claim that he was I'd have to strongly disagree with......he just hit home more than anyone else for me.

2. Rakim - When I first heard Follow the Leader back in '88 I knew the bar was raised as to how a MC should rhyme and beyond what anyone else was doing at that time.

3. Chuck D - Again like Pac not the most gifted on the mic but really hit hard. If his thought provoking anti establishment type rap was being pushed today I think white youths i see here in love with rap today wouldn't be as accepting to the music/culture today.

4. Big Daddy Kane - the first rapper I really wanted to be like. The smoothest sounding rapper ever.

Groups:

1. EPMD

2. Public Enemy

3. Wu

4. Tribe

5 Mobb

Yeah Rakim and Kool g rap are one of the most innovative rappers ever

solo artists: Nas, Biggie, Eazy-E, GZA, Eminem

groups: NWA, Gang Starr, Wu Tang, Tribe Called Quest, Mobb Deep

EDIT: I think Eazy E is one of the most underrated of alltime

1. Take off
2. Offset
3. Quavo
4. Chief Keef
5. XXXTentacion.

David took his men with him and went out and killed two hundred Philistines and brought back their foreskins. They counted out the full number to the king so that David might become the king's son-in-law. Then Saul gave him his daughter Michal in marriage. 1 Samuel 18:27

Top 5 rappers:
Method Man
2pac
Eminem (older albums)
Jay-Z
Nas

Top 5 groups:
Wu
Mobb
Fugees
Army of the Pharoahs
NWA

Honourable mentions
50 Cent
Rick Ross
TI

Easy

Roc Marciano

Willie the Kid

The Alchemist

Curren$y

Blu

Yes, Roc Marciano

Also;

Biggie Smalls
Jay Electronica
MF Doom
Mos Def

Quote: (06-19-2018 05:55 PM)sterlingarcher Wrote:  

Yes, Roc Marciano

Also;

Biggie Smalls
Jay Electronica
MF Doom
Mos Def

Jay electronica has to be on of the greatest ones skill wise but he barely has any work out.

Quote: (06-19-2018 03:09 PM)Banna Wrote:  

Groups:

1. EPMD

2. Public Enemy

3. Wu

4. Tribe

5 Mobb

I agree with you. A lot of those East Coast MC's would win off of pure technicality & spitting bars. Tupac had a gift for conveying more emotion & a powerful image in his music more than almost anyone outta NYC. Biggie Smalls was incredible but his forte was the lyrical wordplay while painting vivid stories. Tupac was better for the fans in need of more bipolar & emotional delivery lol. 2Pac was probably my favorite rapper ever as well. And being in the Chicago area I wasn't particularly biased towards either coast.

Favourite Groups:
Outkast

Geto Boys

The Pharcyde

De La Soul

G-Unit

Favourite Solo:
2Pac

Kanye

Biggie

DMX

Juicy J

Though he is tapented, Jay Electronica is the biggest pump faker in rap history . I just played exhibit A and C the other day. Still sounds fresh.

1. Too $hort

End of list

Quote: (06-19-2018 10:22 PM)Gustavus Adolphus Wrote:  

1. Too $hort

End of list

LOL yeah. You literally can't pass thru California's Bay Area without hearing some Too $hort & E-40. Probably still applies to this day.

NWA
Dr Dre (post NWA era)
Wu Tang clan
Eminem <--- triggered
50 cent

Quote: (06-19-2018 10:08 AM)Stonk Wrote:  

1. Lil Wayne.
2. Dwayne Carter.
3. Lil Tunechi.
4. Young Mula
5. Weezy F.

[Image: laugh7.gif]

Don't worry I listed Eminem.

My Top 5 Rappers:
(Based on pure raw lyricism)

1. Nas
2. Big L
3. GZA
4. Black Thought
5. Eminem

That was alot harder than I thought it would be. 4 and 5 might be a tie for me. Kanye West could have made it too, but....man I dunno. He can write well but I am pretty sure others have written for him. The guys on my list would never let someone else write bars for them. That's a personal affront and highly offensive to them at the core essence. Had JR Writer ever made it big, he could have been a consideration. Big Pun is not a bad fit either, but Eminem and Thought is much better than he is at raw spittin. Biggie of course could have made this list but those other guys surpassed him a while ago. Dying early doesn't make you the best at anything. Lil Wayne is amazing. In time I might have to bump someone else out for him.

My Top 5 Rap Groups
(Basis: Hit songs)

1. Wu Tang Clan
2. Three 6 Mafia
3. Outkast
4. Mobb Deep
5. UGK

That was a shit load easier than the other list. Nobody tops the Wu. GZA, Method Man, U-God, Raekwon, Ghostface Killah, are monsters in their own right. Raekwon by himself has an arguable top 5 greatest album of all time (Only Built 4 Cuban Linx). Three 6 Mafia has too many hit jams that just go hard as fuck. Too many classic beats and flows that heavily affected the entire South and beyond. Mobb Deep ditto but for the North and East Coast. Outkast could have been number 2 and that would not have been wrong either, but you said my personal list. UGK because they have way too many hit songs and vastly underrated. Dirty Money is probably 1 of best 5 rap group album of all time, definitely rap duo. The entire album like Raekwon's did not have a bad track in it.

Dating Guide for Mainland China Datasheet
TravelerKai's Martial Arts Datasheet
1 John 4:20 - If anyone says, I love God, and hates (detests, abominates) his brother [in Christ], he is a liar; for he who does not love his brother, whom he has seen, cannot love God, Whom he has not seen.