rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Is it worth getting a British passport?

I am a Polish citizen who has lived in the UK for over a dozen years, I have been long eligible to apply for British citizenship (after 5 years of living there) but me and my parents never applied for uk citizenship when I was under 18 (which was cheaper). Now I have been thinking whether it is worth it, everyone tells me it is as I could use it as an investment and not worry about visas to places like USA.

The problem has always been cost, now after brexit the price of me getting a passport is around £1282, this used to be a bit cheaper before brexit but my point is that me and my family don't have much money. I only have a mere £2K in my own savings and I am wondering if I should invest in becoming a British citizen. I have English residency so I can legally stay here for pretty much forever, my Polish european passport isn't the worst to have plus I would love to get out the UK permanently in the next 5 years so is it really worth investing in dual nationality? How important is it to hold a strong passport for the future and what kind of benefits will it give me?

More than anything, an additional passport gives you additional options. It's like investing, you want to diversify, it's just the logical thing to do. The UK passport has always been one of the better passports, because of all the territories/ colonies the UK had. I say go for it. It's worth the cost. Most second passports from a citizenship by investment program cost 100's of thousands of dollars. Just the time alone required to get a normal passport, and the years of residency required, mean you're talking about a lot of money and effort. You've already done everything required of you, apart from the application and fee. Do it. I don't think you'll regret it at all.

As far as benefits, a second passport is more of an insurance policy. The EU passport itself is a pretty good passport, but when things go bad, you can use your second passport to get out of bad situations, etc.

Ok I really do see the benefits, then I will have citizenship of a powerful non eu country and of an eu country too, it's a lot of money for me but I think I will take your advice and look into applying, should have done this 7 years ago when it was cheaper.

1300 pounds is still a bargain man... I'd be all over that...

Citizenship in a lot of nice countries can take 5-10 years. I'd get on it, the system is backlogged in the UK b/c of brexit. the sooner the better man. You've already done everything you need to do other than doing the forms. The time investment alone makes it worth it.

Given that £128X is a lot of money to you and you could do this later there seems little reason to do it. There is little difference to the UK and Polish passports beyond the US. Only 6% of Poles are refused visas to the US, which I believe cost about £50 and a few hours of your time.

I would improve financials to the point the benefit may be more pronounced. Dual citizenship is only really going to provide value if you are in the 1%.

The greatest benefit of having a british passport is the freedom of movement within the EU. You already have that with your Polish passport so I don't see why you'd need it immediately.

With that said, it's always nice to have additional passports if the shit hits the fan.

You want to know the only thing you can assume about a broken down old man? It's that he's a survivor.

What would be the point in spending half of your savings in a passport that you don't need to have? There is no points in holding 2 EU paspports, one is enough to give you the right to live(and even get benefits) and travel for un unlimited amount of time in any country part of the SCHENGEN agreement.

Considering the difference in how a quick show of my passport gets me in a country compared to the majority of passports in the world I would say it’s worth it. I’m assuming a Polish passport is quite good though.

Thanks, that's also the perspective I looked at it from, I think I will just invest my savings into something better as with the British passport there aren't things I can't do extra, the negatives I noticed of having a Polish passport in the UK is when you apply for things like student finances or driving license which always add an extra step - some services are slowed down but this is really not a problem. I highly doubt i'll ever be "thrown out" due to Brexit.

Has everyone on this thread forgot about Brexit? UK will soon not be in the EU. UK is a nice place to live, and there's no guarantees as far as brexit is concerned for indefinite residency for Eu citizens. Also, OP has fulfilled the requirements for UK citizenship. If something were to happen in a year or two, he may not be able to stay in UK. From a cost standpoint, at least for him, i think it makes sense for him to apply for the passport. It's an insurance policy.

There's also white God factor to consider. If you're visiting EE countries, Asia, or South America, the British passport is gonna give you the white god factor while the polish passport most certainly won't. I think having the British passport also makes it easier to stay long term in british territories, etc.

^Dragan, your last point is smart but wouldn't that only matter if I pursued passport diggers to export back to UK? My aim is to get the hell out of the UK for life, after living there for 13 years with my family and everyone having residency and paying taxes (millions of people like us here) they won't throw me out cos of brexit. I know 1.3k is not a lot of money but this 2k is all I have for an emergency so im not sure.

You don't need a passport until you are going abroad (and sounds like your Polish passport is just fine), and you won't get any white God factor you wouldn't already...you're not going to pin your UK passport on your chest.

Edit: cachet factor Dragan mentions below is a factor, but again, not relevant until you go abroad, and conditional on where you go abroad to.

I wouldn't worry about it until your finances improve to the point it's no longer a major investment, and you're planning to go abroad shortly thereafter.

Data Sheet Maps | On Musical Chicks | Rep Point Changes | Au Pairs on a Boat
Captainstabbin: "girls get more attractive with your dick in their mouth. It's science."
Spaniard88: "The "believe anything" crew contributes: "She's probably a good girl, maybe she lost her virginity to someone with AIDS and only had sex once before you met her...give her a chance.""

Quote: (11-28-2017 02:07 PM)Mikestar Wrote:  

^Dragan, your last point is smart but wouldn't that only matter if I pursued passport diggers to export back to UK? My aim is to get the hell out of the UK for life, after living there for 13 years with my family and everyone having residency and paying taxes (millions of people like us here) they won't throw me out cos of brexit. I know 1.3k is not a lot of money but this 2k is all I have for an emergency so im not sure.

I'll give you a personal example. Cops in serbia didn't bother me at all or try to mess with me because they knew i had an american passport. You honestly can't tell me the polish passport has the same cachet as a british one. I imagine it's similar with a british passport when compared to a polish one, the british passport is damn good. Paying taxes long term is dumb if you're not a citizen, if that makes sense. Like you pay for other people, yet you don't receive any benefit because you're not a citizen--just a resident.

Put it in perspective... You've earned a second passport, and all you have to do is pay 1300 pounds to collect it. A lot of people like myself, older dudes, businessmen, are doing everything they can to get a second passport, jumping through hoops, investment, residency requirements, etc--and all you have to do is pay the money and fill out the form. You've put your time in, in the UK. its now time to claim what's rightfully yours--the passport. You'll get a lot of benefits related to UK-territories and residency... Not only the UK but lots of nice islands in the Caribbean etc. You should go for it. things are always changing, esp. with brexit now. Nothing is guaranteed for permanent residents in the UK now.

Actually, I just remembered why it is important I get it. Lets say I want to become an english teacher abroad as a last resort job if all fails - I remember they look for native english speakers and this means having a British passport. Someone I know has had problems with finding jobs in SE asia as an english teacher due to her Polish passport, so eventually I will aim to acquire it primarily for the reason of work.

I'd start a "passport savings account" and start working towards it. I'd say it's definitely worth it.

Citizenship is all that is being offered for the £1282, the under 18 fee is currently £973.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/sy...t_2017.pdf

After being accepted for citizenship, the new citizen is then allowed to apply for a (10 year) UK passport. These currently cost £72.50.

Who knows how the Brexit chips will fall, maybe the ease of applcation will change/disappear, who knows.....

Is it worth it as a young man who's family permanently live in the UK.

Hell, yeah!

Just the basics of NHS, social security, safety (?), employment make it a no brainer, add in the passport perks as a young person wanting to travel the world.

Sure it sounds like a big investment when you only have £2k in the bank, but this is what it is, an investment for the rest of your life. Many on the forum and hundreds of lurkers reading this will be thinking 'WTF man, you're seriously thinking about not doing this because it's gonna cost £1282'. Do it.

Why don't you pick up a second job during the festive period, plenty of work in retail parks, malls, mail centres, hospitality etc in the run up to Christmas, could easy make £500+ doing this.

In say, a decade, after having done a bit travelling, when your weekly salary is around the £1000 mark and you look back at this post having invested in the citizenship, you will laugh and think what a smart move it was to have taken that opportunity.

If you choose not to invest then 'get out of the UK for life' with just your Polish passport and your £2k, I fear you may not be laughing as much.

Do it.

Yes, go for it.
According to this website https://www.passportindex.org/byRank.php three strongest passports are Singapore, German and Swedish. UK is not that far off as it ranks in tier '4' giving you an access to 157 countries, while Polish lands in tier 10 and gives you an access to 150 countries.

It's not such a big difference to be honest, especially if you are on a serious budget now, but UK passport due to the fact that it's an country belonging to the Anglosphere gives you much wider prospects for landing a job anywhere outside of UK. Many native speakers don't realize it, but it really makes a difference if you are traveling.

To be honest, even if situation was reversed and if I had a UK passport and I could get a chance to get Polish passport for ~1,300 GBP, I would go for it without hesitation.
Cause why not? It's not a big amount of money and it may always bring some additional opportunities in the future, you never know [Image: smile.gif]

As for cops in Serbia - it really depends on a country. Some nationalities likes each other more, some less and as Poland is member of EU it is bound with the same laws as other countries belonging to it, so I don't personally see cops treating Brit and Pole in much different way, unless there is some personal motive involved in it.
It's not, that he has some Bangladesh or Kosovo passport to be treated differently. According to the website I posted above Poland ranks in Power Rank "10" and there is "92" ranks overall, so Polish passport is far off from not being a 'respectful' passport.

Dragan explained the benefits in his first reply.

What are you going to do with £1200? Buy groceries and a new tv? That amount is nothing compared to the benefits. It's insurance. You get it hoping you won't need it in the future.

You never know what will happen. Maybe the EU vanishes and you'll end up with a shitty passport. When you travel abroad, a better passport gives you better treatment.
I'm a dual citizen and I "choose" my nationality before traveling to avoid controls, taxes, fees, etc.

There's no better investment.

Appreciate all of your advice, I will aim to get a UK passport by the end of 2018 but first I need to begin making money and get a job again.

Personally I am going to get my new son a UK passport. He was born in Spain, but he currently has these choices:

1. Spanish
  2. British
  3. Canadian
  4. Vietnamese
Spanish might be the most flexible of those, but I'll let him get that himself if he wants it. I think my UK passport is fantastic, and will continue to be so after Brexit.

UK passport is super useful but most of the use is redundant with a Polish passport.

Having said that, I'd be doing it with the Brexit uncertainty and likely mess that is coming with it. Any other bonuses are just that, bonuses, but the certainty that your residency will be safe is worth a few quid and the peace of mind is invaluable.

There are an awful lot of British embassies around if you get in trouble when overseas as well, I'd hazard a guess that there are double the amount of Polish embassies.

Added bonus is it's not like the damn US passport where they make you file a tax return for having it (right pita that one is) so there isn't an issue where you might have to renounce it in the future for tax purposes either.

I have two friends who were or are in your position. One from an EU member state and another from outside the EU. They both went for their UK passport after 5 year permanent residency stage. As only one of my friends here is from a EU member state i'll use him as best fit example. He wanted one primarily as an option. He may chose to stay in the UK or he may chose to go back to his native country. He he decides to travel around Europe he can use his native passport for free movement. UK passport is far stronger than his native but the £1300 fee was in his opinion worth paying for. Have you done the Life in the UK test?

Quote: (11-29-2017 02:06 PM)Ethan Hunt Wrote:  

I have two friends who were or are in your position. One from an EU member state and another from outside the EU. They both went for their UK passport after 5 year permanent residency stage. As only one of my friends here is from a EU member state i'll use him as best fit example. He wanted one primarily as an option. He may chose to stay in the UK or he may chose to go back to his native country. He he decides to travel around Europe he can use his native passport for free movement. UK passport is far stronger than his native but the £1300 fee was in his opinion worth paying for. Have you done the Life in the UK test?

No I am yet to take any steps such as taking the life in UK test.

I was thinking of applying for one also, but now that there won't be an EU passport to come with it I don't see much of a point.

Anyone know of any benefits of having a UK citizenship/passport vs US citizenship/passport? I think I recall seeing UK passports being higher ranked than US ones, but I don't really know the reason why.