rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Film & TV Characters with Game

The Fonz

I saw Henry Winkler in an episode of Arrested Development the other day and remembered he was The Fonz. I looked up highlight videos of the Fonz. Only thing I remembered about Happy Days was how corny it was. I forgot that The Fonz in a comical way really projects a ton of Game.

The problem with a lot of TV and movie personas is they don't have as much of a fun side. Like Bond... just witty, dry. Half his game is being an international spy with a huge bankroll which is great. Day to day situations though characters like the Fonz have more character and life that I think attract people in general.

SENS Foundation - help stop age-related diseases

Quote: (05-19-2016 12:01 PM)Giovonny Wrote:  
If I talk to 100 19 year old girls, at least one of them is getting fucked!
Quote:WestIndianArchie Wrote:
Am I reacting to her? No pussy, all problems
Or
Is she reacting to me? All pussy, no problems

Dylan 90210

Seems cheesy at first glance. I think this guy projects incredible game in his cadence, facial expressions, and body language. This is the type of guy I most often see girls go obsessive over and when I act more this way girls start trying to game me, they get worried it is a great push pull. I think he is rock solid. He uses pauses and deep eye contact masterfully. He evades shit tests like he doesn't even know they are there. Though in mixed company and at social events this type of persona would create a lot of haters, especially men.

One on one with a girl this type of game is artful. It mixes deep comfort and some romantic comedy touches with an outer layer of brooding aloofness that gets deep into girls minds.

Or

Who other than Al Bundy? Hot wife and great attitude. Just shitty he had to sell women's shoes.

"Until the day when God shall deign to reveal the future to man, all human wisdom is summed up in these two words,— 'Wait and hope'."- Alexander Dumas, "The Count of Monte Cristo"

Fashion/Style Lounge

Social Circle Game

Team Skinny Girls with Pretty Faces
King of Sockpuppets

Sockpuppet List

Related thread - thread-22171.html

This can be the next awesome thread on RVF if we can pinpoint the way the actors make the actresses have little micro reactions.

WIA

the Fonz was just archetypal badboy Alpha. Quintessential toughguy. Looked cool, acted cool; kind of guy who does what he wants and takes no bullshit. All other men fear him/look up to him and ladies want to get fucked by him.

90210 Guy was your basic Sensitive 90's guy. Soulful deep connection to a female coupled with soft boyish good looks. Tapping into female emotion and longing for romance. The opposite of the Fonz basically, but still effective game - though not sure how effective it is nowadays. Bad boys will always be timeless however.

Al Bundy was not exactly an "Alpha." He hated his life, and no one in his family or social circle respected him. He was the EveryAmericanMan. Living an unfulfilling life with a nagging wife and bratty kids and a dead end job he hates but needs to do to make ends meet. Regardless, still one of the best sitcoms to ever air on television.

I see your bids and raise you Jack Arnold:

One of the ultimate TV dads. He was stern. He was honest. He was fair. He went into the military, landed a good paying career after the service, married a peach of a woman who his CEO was jealous of as well as her wealthy highschool boyfriend.

I always saw Jack Arnold as being the best TV dad. He was no bullshit. He was scary, but only in a way that you didn't want to disappoint him or do wrong by him. No question he was an Alpha.

Hank Moody from Californication. Suffered from oneitis, but in his defence it was with the mother of his child.

Grant me serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference

Yep, Hank Moody. Definitely one of my favourite TV characters. My kind of laid back, sometimes downright lazy charm and game (minus the alcoholism and other self destructive behaviours, but those still made for entertaining TV). The suit wearing, workaholic, ultra aloof career alphas aren't much of an inspiration to me.

Gor thrown off by Al Bundy and forgot this thread was about screen character with "game" no who are necessarily Alpha.

Barney Stinson slayed all kinds of hot pussy in HIMYM just being a rich, suited up, mysterious clowny Alpha playboy type. He's also transparent in his intentions of using women as sex objects.

Dr. Christian Troy from Nip/Tuck. Suave, stylish, plastic surgeon. Dude is surrounded in a lifestyle of glamour and beautiful women. His profession alone is enough to get female attention.

Sam Malone from Cheers. Good looking guy. Witty. Bartender game. No explanation needed.

Charlie Harper (Charlie Sheen) - degenerate wealthy and out-of-work TV music compser. Lives the smooth rich life of classy liquor, drugs, and plenty of women.

You tend to see some recurring themes here.

This thread is definitely only useful with video examples and even with directions to go to a certain second marker to see an expression happen.

For example, in the Dylan video in the first 5 seconds he makes a longer than normal introductory look at the new chick he is eyeing in front of his current girlfriend.

At second 16 he slight raises an eyebrow and widens his smirk just almost unnoticeable as if saying "oh yeah, keep looking you know it's on". She immediately does a glance down as she is already under his dominance.

^ Stalin I don't know what you are talking about with Dylan being too sensitive. He has maybe 3 sensitive scenes the entire show. Otherwise he is about always ready to start a fight, has chicks he is fucking running into each other constantly, or is in some alcohol or drug abuse situation. He is a stone cold player through and through.

His very presence gets girls alarmed because of his extreme self-assured aloofness. He, much like The Fonz and Hank Moody are ready to throw down at the drop of a hat.

I still think he is king at subtle facial gestures, pauses, intros, and exits. He is definitely a woman's player though, I expect most guys here to not think much of him or think too much in terms of alpha and not what gets girls twisted. Hank Moody, Barney Stinson, Malone, and Charlie are all men's players because they are half clown. Dylan is a straight mind fucker, not a party entertainer.

Or

James Bond

If Bond is going to be listed, Sean Connery by far and away has the most Game by several levels above the other Bonds. Especially Daniel Craig who is a man's Bond through and through - not a smooth mind fucker.

Connery has incredible body language and pace. He accents his statements with a relaxed authority that has a unique style.

At 4:50 is a good point of a making a casual and smooth move of dominance while having a silver mouthpiece.

5:57 is an unreplicable look. The relaxed arched eyebrows, completely and utterly relaxed shoulders. He is okay with anything happening. Only turning just the head slightly. The self amusement. The serious and captivating look as he is speaking. Complete assurance of every word.

Pierce Brosnan is a cheeseball and Daniel Craig is a quiet meathead in comparison. I just don't see that level of presence anymore in present-day.

Or

^Sean Connery's James Bond was my go too for learning how game worked before I knew what game was. Just watching the guy work in those movies when I first saw them felt just right.

"Until the day when God shall deign to reveal the future to man, all human wisdom is summed up in these two words,— 'Wait and hope'."- Alexander Dumas, "The Count of Monte Cristo"

Fashion/Style Lounge

Social Circle Game

King of Sockpuppets

Sockpuppet List

<gay>Barney Stinson</gay>

I think any guy that has watched that show is somewhat gay. The actor that plays him is gay. He is a cheeseball and has no presence.

I have no idea why he ever gets mentioned in these types of conversations. I don't see the charm on any level. I am a hater. I have never met a guy that reminds me of his style of talking, humor, or presence that gets a lot of attractive women. He is the metro guy with low T's dream of what a player could be.

Or

Russell Brand

I think he has the best ramble mouthpiece I have ever seen. Style may be known for this from Game. I think Brand would blow him out of the water on his worst day in a social situation. He has massive presence especially in the view of women. He immediately takes them on an imaginary journey that takes their entire attention. He frame pushes like a fucking a savage at all times. He doesn't need a scripted scene with a crew, director, and editor to shine. The power of stand up comedy and improv.

This entire thing is beautiful.

Or

My power trio would be:

Russell Brand for social proof situations and initial attraction (this goes triply for women 18-22).

Dylan 90210 for one on one comfort and attraction building.

Connery Bond for the majority of the time. Low energy cost to maintain that composure that should sink into you and turn you into the oak tree of unshakeable assuredness. This Game also ages the best and shows passive social status.

Or

Steve McQueen

Often touted by CMQ on this board. I get that he the man was an excellent player. I don't know if that was due to social status and money. In his movies I have yet to see a real character that seemed like a good player.

He has the brooding going on, the aloof body language. The right amount of silence and absences. I think he is boring though and that most girls would get bored of him. I do not see much worth mimicking in his movies. I see become a famous Hollywood actor, race motorcycles, have some style(turtlenecks!) and party a lot.

I do not see a lot of game outside some basics.

Anyone have some good video to prove it wrong?

Or

He's a parody played solely for laughs on the show, but Ron Swanson has a certain positive message, at least in what I've seen of 'Parks & Rec'. The show and the character are not so much about honest discussion of relationships, but still:
  • he's laconic, secretive and doesn't give away more information than he has to
  • he distrusts government and talks about self-reliance a lot
  • he's physical and a manual worker who emphasises tradecraft
  • he's old-school masculine, traditional, fond of hunting, shooting, etc
  • he's no-bullshit, and distrustful and contemptuous of all liberal and 'alternative' lifestyles
  • he talks a lot about masculine virtues and dislikes weakness
  • he's open about what he thinks 'I like pretty dark-haired women and breakfast foods'
  • very uncaring about rules and petty laws
Granted, nothing I've seen mentions game, but the persona Offerman portrays is one that believes in the importance of mental and physical strength, not depending on state or other support, property rights and responsibilities, and typical male virtues. Even through the veil of comedy, not terrible advice.

"The woman most eager to jump out of her petticoat to assert her rights is the first to jump back into it when threatened with a switching for misusing them,"
-Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

Stephan Urkel

Patrick McNee as John Steed. Always unflappable. Always elegant and well dressed.

Patrick McGoohan as both a spy and a retired spy. Always in control.

Cleaver Greene in Rake always makes me laugh.

Neil Caffrey is slick. Also one of my favorite shows ever. Just plain old good fun heist shows, lays off the drama for the most part, and lets the plan be the centre.

No mention of Harvey Specter?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMqM7GVStdo

They've tried to betafy his character in the later seasons but he's a great example of game being used in both professional and personal contexts

My two favorites that I model my style after

1. Juan Antonio from Vicky Cristina Barcelona

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uw1EzfovXE

The directness, not asking women but telling them, selling an experience, the confidence, persisting despite the brunette's objections, the calmness and maintenance of frame. Needless to say, he ends up banging both.

2. Don Draper from Mad Men

Too many scenes to name.

Quote: (06-25-2016 08:06 PM)therealpoder Wrote:  

My two favorites that I model my style after

1. Juan Antonio from Vicky Cristina Barcelona

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uw1EzfovXE

The directness, not asking women but telling them, selling an experience, the confidence, persisting despite the brunette's objections, the calmness and maintenance of frame. Needless to say, he ends up banging both.
Came here to say that one, too bad they turned him into a beta once penelope cruz showed up.
There was a scene where he said refering to her "She was so beatiful, i couldn't believe that out of all the men she chose me" in that exact moment all the confidence he portrayed went to shit.

Gotta disagree with the Fonz, never saw that show only the youtube clips posted, but that looks like a caricature of an alpha to me, more like a guy who gets an ego boost from surrounding himself with losers, a guy like that who likes to one up himself all the time would be getting in far more fights than a guy who acts like dylan from 90210. I've seen a few Fonz in my life, and they never last, people get tired of them and all of their status goes to shit.

A guy like barney stinson would not get quality pussy in real life, but he would get lots of pussy from being an entertainer, guys like those make the night out a lot more fun too, so they usually have a lot of male guys around waiting to see something funny. Status boost right there.

Quote: (06-25-2016 03:02 AM)Travesty Wrote:  

Steve McQueen

Often touted by CMQ on this board. I get that he the man was an excellent player. I don't know if that was due to social status and money. In his movies I have yet to see a real character that seemed like a good player.

He has the brooding going on, the aloof body language. The right amount of silence and absences. I think he is boring though and that most girls would get bored of him. I do not see much worth mimicking in his movies. I see become a famous Hollywood actor, race motorcycles, have some style(turtlenecks!) and party a lot.

I do not see a lot of game outside some basics.

Anyone have some good video to prove it wrong?

Him and James Dean are icons of cool. But I don't think i've seen any of their movies.

I'll have to add that some to my queue.

WIA

Think James Dean and Steve McQueen were more the guys with game off the screen than on the screen like Leonardo Dicaprio(a few exceptions in his movies here and there with most notably Wolf of Wallstreet).

They slayed ass left and right with girls even today fawning over them even though they're long departed. I guess it's more the persona than anything else like with Bond being the badass spy(excluding Connery's and Dalton's whom both had demeanor though Connery's wordplay was on another level).

Fashion/Style Lounge

Social Circle Game

King of Sockpuppets

Sockpuppet List

Quote: (06-25-2016 06:23 PM)younggun Wrote:  

No mention of Harvey Specter?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMqM7GVStdo

They've tried to betafy his character in the later seasons but he's a great example of game being used in both professional and personal contexts

He's what Barney Stinson should be like in a drama. I didn't watch that show because it was too "Friends" for me. But NPH plays a caricature. Much like Ron Swanson and Al Bundy. There's flat characters with very little depth.

Specter is something else

Harvey is very "alpha" in a paper way. But he's also "alpha" in a real way.

So the paper stuff - he's this hotshot lawyer, rich, powerful, impecabbly dressed, and always gets the job done. And he's always sticking up for his people. And he always has a plan. He always sees the angle.

It's a the typical Master of the Universe fantasy. Much like Barney Stinson.

The alpha-ness in Harvey's character isn't part of the "plot".
Anyone can be the Mr. Bad Ass. Ben Affleck and Henry Cavill played two bad asses in Batman vs. Superman - but there's not much range in their characters, or not much believable range. Part of that is the genre, part of the is the script, part of that is the director, some of that is the character, but a lot of it is the actor. Lex Luthor Zuckerberg was super interesting until the very end... I digress.

Stinson always plays it cool. He's unflappable.

Harvey is very flappable.

He gets mad.
He gets defeated. He loses the girls and there's consequences.
He's trapped by his image somewhat.
He's afraid.
He shows emotions.
He makes enemies.

Unlike Barney, with his angles and tricks, Harvey is the full man.

What makes that alpha is that when he shows himself, he doesn't too much care about the consequences. But he's actually trying to hold all of that back. He's a compelling character for that reason.

When he deals with women on the show - he's more than willing to go toe to toe with Jessica, who's his boss for most of the run. She scares the bejeezus out of everyone, and not just because she runs the operation.

With the romantic escapades, his flirting is top notch. He pushes sex without talking about. He doesn't take everything the chicks he says seriously, which is how the game is played.

By contrast - Louis is always reactive when he's not being selfish or venal. He makes for great conflict, and that actor knows how to hit those emotional notes to a tee.

Mike, the everyman with a the photographic memory is the heart of the show. (the show was a "case of the week" type show until they started leaning on the Aaron Sorkin/Snappy Banter,)

He has to be fairly bland in order to make all these other characters pop. The only person more bland then him is Rachel/The Fiance. Donna, Jessica, Lewis, Harvey...even the black lady brought in as Donna's replacement - are all more interesting than Mike. Hell Mike was guest starring on Orphan Black and that was a win for them. But Tatiana is probably the most interesting actor that nobody talks about.

Mike's character arc is going from boyhood to manhood - but he definitely lacks game. He approaches the relationships like a square.

Harvey on the other hand, he knows he can sleep with a chick. And the chicks he deals with smell that arrogance on him. And it's bait. They want to "one up" his smug demeanor, but by doing so, they get wrapped up in trying to beat him. And that's his trap.

That's the player's move. I'm getting this chick all into stopping me - but all that is doing is making me the thing she's most interested in. One slip, and she's in bed.

I wish I could pull up some clips, but if you watch the right ones - when he talks to a small group of people - the actors can't help but to turn their eyes and attention to him, and react to what he's saying.

Nothing is written in the script, that "Donna and Jessica both look at Harvey" - but when you watch the scenes - the body language of the actors all react to him. Part of that is acting on their part - but acting is bringing forth the natural reactions and body language that a person in that situation would have.

You can see this on mute. You don't even need to hear the words.

The game situations are of course all fictional -but to sell them to the audience - Gabriel Macht (the guy who plays Harvey) is able to create the tone, body language and demeanor to sell it to the actresses - and make them give him the right body language - which in turn sells the scene to the audience.

Gabriel might not even be Harvey. But to play that role, he has to really get in the shoes of someone with that sort of charisma and magnetism.

WIA