rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Drink without getting drunk

I'm putting this in the game forum because it seems to me that being able to drink without getting drunk would help with game. I have cockblocked myself by getting too drunk on a number of occasions.

According to this article, right before drinking you should ingest several teaspoons of dry/active yeast such as you can buy in the grocery store. I believe Fleischmann's is a common brand of yeast in the US. According to the article, the yeast will sit in your stomach and help break down the alcohol before it goes into your blood stream.

Anyone know if this works or not? I'm going out this weekend and plan on trying it out to see what happens.

why not learn how to pace yourself? Drink light beers if you must, and take it slow. Swap to a water on ice with lime if you must.

Will be interested to hear how the yeast experiment goes. Low-alcohol beers are not an option in Asia...

Dr Johnson rumbles with the RawGod. And lives to regret it.

I do lots of business in Asia and the drinking culture is huge there. It's considered very bad form to refuse drinks or not reciprocate doing numerous "bottoms up" shots with clients and partners. Non Asians get much more leeway, but being Asian, I don't have that luxury.

Learned this trick from a hostess girl: as soon as you sit down, finish a can of coke or bottle of beer down to the last 20%. Then when your partners inevitably make motions to "cheers", you do likewise and then spit the shot into the mostly empty container and make it look like you're chasing.

Guys never seem to notice although I've had several girls give me a knowing look. I like to drink as much as the next guy, but I hate hangovers and I don't see this as a waste of money so much as just the cost of doing business.

What's the point? You won't get so drunk as to fuck up your game unless you're drinking half a day at a normal pace, and if you're drinking that much you're probably not doing it all just to get a girl at the end of the night. Unless you're a 60kg 18-yearold with no tolerance I suppose.

I can see the issue if you're constantly offered shots you can't refuse, but that's quite a different situation from a normal beer drinking night where you set the pace to 2 drinks per hour or even less.

Quote: (04-24-2014 08:53 PM)Blobert Wrote:  

What's the point? You won't get so drunk as to fuck up your game unless you're drinking half a day at a normal pace, and if you're drinking that much you're probably not doing it all just to get a girl at the end of the night. Unless you're a 60kg 18-yearold with no tolerance I suppose.

I can see the issue if you're constantly offered shots you can't refuse, but that's quite a different situation from a normal beer drinking night where you set the pace to 2 drinks per hour or even less.

I don't drink during the week. So, I'm a lightweight when it comes to alcohol. Some of places I go to make very large, strong drinks. I like the taste of a well-made drink, so sometimes it can be hard to stick to the 30-minute rule. Plus, friends will often buy rounds of shots. So, I want to see if this approach will make it easier to maintain complete control of the situation while looking like I'm partying hard.

The last sentence is contradictory I believe. Partying hard involves losing control. I agree with pace yourself.

Quote:MtnMan Wrote:  
Life is definitely too short to go without dome.

I'll have a tonic and lime on the rocks and the lady will have a pitcher of Sangria and double shot of Barcardi 151 [Image: lol.gif]

Team Nachos

There is a time to get shitty and a time to keep yourself in line.

Its pretty simple. If you are with a girl that you havnt banged yet or you are out to meet girls, then control yourself. In every other situation let loose and get hammered.

Vodka soda lime never gets you drunk

Quote: (04-24-2014 09:17 PM)Monty Brown Wrote:  

Its pretty simple. If you are with a girl that you havnt banged yet or you are out to meet girls, then control yourself. In every other situation let loose and get hammered.

Right here. You honestly just have to know yourself better. Another key aspect a lot of people don't think about is time in a bar. If you know you are going to be there for 2 hours, and you know you only want to have four drinks, then keep it to 1 drink/half hour. Plan ahead and you won't need any funny yeast shit. Know your limits, and know why you're drinking that day. For game, planning your drinking is key.

Like Monty said....if you're trying to get hammered...go for it.

Quote: (04-24-2014 07:25 PM)booshala Wrote:  

I do lots of business in Asia and the drinking culture is huge there. It's considered very bad form to refuse drinks or not reciprocate doing numerous "bottoms up" shots with clients and partners. Non Asians get much more leeway, but being Asian, I don't have that luxury.

Learned this trick from a hostess girl: as soon as you sit down, finish a can of coke or bottle of beer down to the last 20%. Then when your partners inevitably make motions to "cheers", you do likewise and then spit the shot into the mostly empty container and make it look like you're chasing.

Guys never seem to notice although I've had several girls give me a knowing look. I like to drink as much as the next guy, but I hate hangovers and I don't see this as a waste of money so much as just the cost of doing business.

My buddy taught me that trick, but using a water bottle if you are doing clear shots.

He has also tossed shots over his shoulder but you got to be a bit sly to do that.

Quote: (04-24-2014 09:17 PM)Monty Brown Wrote:  

If it is a work thing and you are not the senior guy - you still need to keep yourself under some control.

Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm." And the warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."

Women and children can be careless, but not men - Don Corleone

Great RVF Comments | Where Evil Resides | How to upload, etc. | New Members Read This 1 | New Members Read This 2

I try to drink less to stay healthy, and reduce my exposure to drunk driving. Here's what I do.

No shots.

Start the night with a caffeine drink. Then rotate vodka/soda with club soda/lime. It gives me something to sip on, as is my habit, and keeps me from getting drunk. Still am able to have fun with this.

I don't really need to be drunk to be out though. Something about just being in a nightclub with bangable girls around does it for me.

Quote: (04-24-2014 07:25 PM)booshala Wrote:  

My homie can confirm this trick as he has had to use it a few times at weddings.

I don't like wasting alcohol, but you should see some the way some of these guys in Asia drink. Drinking a 750 ml of liquor for each person there is not uncommon. The spitting out trick is pretty much a necessity. When I go out with girls and friends I can just straight out tell them I'm taking it easy, but ironically, I have to drink more in a "business" setting... right before the KTV girls come out.

Apple Cider Vinegar

Best thing I ever had

I chase that with each drink it keeps your digestion system on point so you don't have a hangover and also having "bubble guts"
Pace yourself like people above said and you can still have a fun night out

It's just self discipline. When I go out alone sometimes I'll get bored during the gaps in conversation and drink too much. You just have to have enough self control to not do that.

To make it easier on yourself start the night slow. You're more likely to give in to drinking more if you're already pretty drunk. But if you're only buzzed, it's easier to say "okay I can't drink another one right now" and then pace yourself. Basically there's a fine line with booze and once you cross it, you start to make bad decisions. That's great if you're just out with friends, not so great if you're trying to meet new girls and leave a good impression.

Quote: (04-24-2014 09:26 PM)MrRoundtree Wrote:  

Vodka soda lime never gets you drunk

You don't drink where I do.

Not much soda here.

Among other remedies for sobering up. Someone with a lot of drinking experience told me carbonated water is better than water for recovering.

Just found this: "One report states that the presence of carbon dioxide in a cocktail may accelerate the uptake of alcohol in the blood, making both the inebriation and recovery phases more rapid"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbonated_water

Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm." And the warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."

Great RVF Comments | Where Evil Resides | How to upload, etc. | New Members Read This 1 | New Members Read This 2

^^^ Dunno about that. I got bombed a lot faster drinking vodka straight....

btw-coconut water is great for hangovers.

Quote: (04-25-2014 07:28 PM)Hotwheels Wrote:  

^^^ Dunno about that. I got bombed a lot faster drinking vodka straight....

btw-coconut water is great for hangovers.

Pedialyte

I find that getting a seltzer with lime whenever you find yourself without a drink is a great way to moderate. It looks like you are drinking so people won't force drinks on you and the water keeps you more sober. If anyone asks lie and say gin/vodka tonic, nobody is going to check.

Quote: (04-24-2014 06:44 PM)Carlos100 Wrote:  

I'm putting this in the game forum because it seems to me that being able to drink without getting drunk would help with game. I have cockblocked myself by getting too drunk on a number of occasions.

According to this article, right before drinking you should ingest several teaspoons of dry/active yeast such as you can buy in the grocery store. I believe Fleischmann's is a common brand of yeast in the US. According to the article, the yeast will sit in your stomach and help break down the alcohol before it goes into your blood stream.

Anyone know if this works or not? I'm going out this weekend and plan on trying it out to see what happens.

In theory his should work, but it will probably give you some GNARLY gas. . . Could be fun if the place is suitable. Plus too high alc % and you kill any yeast.

What seems to work for me is to eat like a fiend, then drink then more food and more wine. Lots of water in between. A lot. Your kidneys will get a workout, but the day after you will feel much much better.

Also, I've mentioned before in other threads: duck fat. Wonder of the culinary world, before during and after drinking.

Order bitter or sour drinks. I order just Lemon/Bitter Lemon (it's got electrolytes) and nobody notices that it is without Vodka even after letting them take a sip.

Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Quote: (04-25-2014 08:26 AM)Thesoloist Wrote:  

Apple Cider Vinegar

Best thing I ever had

I chase that with each drink it keeps your digestion system on point so you don't have a hangover and also having "bubble guts"
Pace yourself like people above said and you can still have a fun night out

You go out with a bottle of ACV in hand? [Image: huh.gif]

Damn, you are RVF to the core. [Image: biggrin.gif]

Beyond All Seas

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.
To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes
frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Kipling