rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Hipsters

Hipsters

When will the hipster "culture" die?

Hipsters

When they all die.

Hipsters

hmm it took 20 years for punks to die so i guess 10 more years.... they are in their golden years now like punks where before.

Hipsters

I don't think it'll ever die, unless society changes a lot.
Hipsters to me seem like the Wal-Mart of countercultural scenes... It's all about being too insecure and disingenuous to display any shred of your true self to the world and shrouding yourself in a mask of smug irony.

One thing red pill has taught me above all else; society hates honesty, and hates it a little more every day.

Hipsters

Probably when their parents money dies out.

Hipsters

I believe ms224 has the right idea here. Most of these hipsters live in relatively expensive cities(not all, there's the Detroit scene for example) so it's just a matter of when the stock market plunges once again. Most of the trustafarians and parents of these hipsters have their wealth locked away in the market so I believe that the big crash for hipsters will occur perhaps a couple years after the next stock market crash. By that time, their trusts and parents should be effectively exhausted of all resources that they could leech off of.

Also, a great blog about hipsters: http://diehipster.wordpress.com/

Hipsters

Quote: (10-13-2013 11:31 PM)houston Wrote:  

When will the hipster "culture" die?

Not any time soon. They are everywhere nowadays (at least in big to medium sized cities). It seems like it will keep spreading more over time. The one good thing about hipster culture is you don't need money to get laid. In fact, money seems to work against you, so this could be part of the reason why this subculture is spreading to the extent it is: lots of broke or semi-broke dudes adopt it as a way to get laid.

Hipsters

Quote: (10-14-2013 01:42 AM)Icepasian Wrote:  

I believe ms224 has the right idea here. Most of these hipsters live in relatively expensive cities(not all, there's the Detroit scene for example) so it's just a matter of when the stock market plunges once again. Most of the trustafarians and parents of these hipsters have their wealth locked away in the market so I believe that the big crash for hipsters will occur perhaps a couple years after the next stock market crash. By that time, their trusts and parents should be effectively exhausted of all resources that they could leech off of.

This is not entirely true. There are lots of hipsters in Austin, TX; Nashville, TN; Portland, OR; Seattle, WA; Santa Fe, NM; etc...and these cities are not expensive to live in.

Hipsters

It's already peaked. The "no frills" hipsters like you see in Detroit are that last crop because many of them will get their hands dirty and build shit with carpentry skills or raise small animals and gardens for food. It's a old school nod to how we used to live but sadly most hipsters don't want to fuck with that shit. When it gets to that point they will maybe morph into something else.

Many people point to this being that last real counter-culture in this post-modern world. Like you can't have a post movement off something that made its coin of bastardizing other past movements. The Hipster will have trouble being re-born into anything and may simply just have to die.

Hipsters

Quote: (10-14-2013 01:42 AM)Icepasian Wrote:  

Also, a great blog about hipsters: http://diehipster.wordpress.com/

The hipsters where you live must be a different breed than the ones in my city, Edmonton, where the hipster scene is well established. Its one of those subcultures that won't die out easily for the simple fact that its easy to get into, all you have to do is buy some used clothes (the weirder, the better), grow a beard and listen to some indy music.

Its not like other scenes where you actually have to work hard to fit in; make money, dress in expensive clothing, travel, work out, etc. Anyone can be a hipster, therein lies the problem.

Hipsters

GTA 5 has the right idea.

Hipsters

Counter-culture will never die as long as there is something "uncool" to rebel against like the trappings of banal, suburban middle-class existence. In the 90s it was grunge and everyone cool was wearing ripped 2nd hand jeans and flannel. In the 80s it was punk and goth, 70s I don't know, 60s hippies, 50s beatniks. Right now it's hipsterdom. Ten years from now it will evolve into something else.

I don't really mind hipsters. At they at least listen to some good music.

Hipsters

It seems like the hipster sub-culture is lasting longer than most. Sure punk stuck around for decades, but it was also supplanted by new subcultures in the 80's and 90's.

It may well have peaked, but nothing new is on the horizon to push hipsters out of their urban enclaves. In the past, by now there'd be a new sub-culture which would be pretty antithetical to the old.

I think the comments here are right - a sub-culture based off parasitizing the detritus of past cultures is hard to kill.

I also think it's because our culture isn't as vibrant and dynamic as it used to be. It's slowing down. Music doesn't change as rapidly as it used to. Nor does fashion, car design, and style.

Hipsters

As long as there are losers who think they are better than the winners there will be Hipsters.

Look at Breaking Bad. Walter White is a smart loser. He becomes Heisenberg by doing things. Hipsters become Heisenbergs in their own minds by thinking themselves superior to those who actually do things.

Hipsterism is narcissism so it will only grow.

Hipsters

Quote: (10-14-2013 07:14 AM)Therapsid Wrote:  

It seems like the hipster sub-culture is lasting longer than most. Sure punk stuck around for decades, but it was also supplanted by new subcultures in the 80's and 90's.

It may well have peaked, but nothing new is on the horizon to push hipsters out of their urban enclaves. In the past, by now there'd be a new sub-culture which would be pretty antithetical to the old.

I think the comments here are right - a sub-culture based off parasitizing the detritus of past cultures is hard to kill.

I also think it's because our culture isn't as vibrant and dynamic as it used to be. It's slowing down. Music doesn't change as rapidly as it used to. Nor does fashion, car design, and style.

This is why many argue that hipsters represent the last legs of modern western culture. As @Speakeasy noted every generation had its counter-culture but Hipsters are the first to combine all of them into one. Nothing the Hipster has done is original. They borrow all the good stuff from the last and cloak it under technology to make it seem new. Once you tap evreything else then what?

The next counter-culture will be the backlash against hipsters or nothing at all. It's 100% certain a major global conflict (WW III) or a complete economic shit dump will take place in out lifetimes or even in a generation or two. This is the fissure that cracks counter-cultures but I don't think anybody can truly guess what comes after. What is hipster Dan in Brookyn with Dads money going to do if store shelves have no food for sale or he's forced to a army draft? They are extremes but Hipsters have no answer to it, as they are to decedant and self serving living that YOLO lifestyle.

Hipsters

I think the tricks is to able to slip into hipster mode, when required
I'm a skinny guy so it doesn't take so much for me to morph into hipster territory
As I'm 10-15 years older than most hipsters, it means I've got to be a bit more strategic about things, so I usually try to work some 'pre-gig game' by hitting up a couple of decent alt-music pubs near music venues when there's some introspective earnest singer songwriter playing (euro girls in their 20s and early 30s seem to love this kind of music)
Once you break the ice with these alt chicks, can talk a litttle about music, with some light banter thrown in, you're golden
I often have to roll solo in these situations so you have to be cool with your own company and have some witty throwbacks if they question your age or solo-ness, but most times it's ok, many of these chicks secretly want to get their freak on with someone a bit more mature and experienced than their hipster male orbiter friends

Hipsters

It will grow/stay until it becomes large enough that it becomes the 'thing' to rebel against. Once they start selling the cultural fashion in bargain outlet stores that will be the signal that its time is ending.

When Walmart, K-Mart and formerly Zellers (RIP) start having fashion models with bad beards, skinny jeans and stupid glasses with no lenses for sale you can count the days for hipsters.

Why do the heathen rage and the people imagine a vain thing? Psalm 2:1 KJV

Hipsters

What is a hipster?

Hipsters

Quote: (10-14-2013 09:38 AM)soup Wrote:  

What is a hipster?

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=hipster

Hipsters

Quote:Quote:

Today, I saw Keegan and Logan stumbling back to their $2800 a month loft in their 19th century barber and paperboy outfits after celebrating another year of funemployment and Brooklyn homogenization by drinking cruelty-free champagne in which the grapes were asked nicely to juice themselves rather than being stomped; and eating local, organic Bushwickian cheese laced with red beard hair and American Spirit cigarette ashes. So I gave them each an uppercut; ran their brochure-like bodies through a paper shredder and tossed the confetti around my still normal and actually diverse neighborhood. End of story.

Hipsters

^^^ Made me LOL. Awesome.

Hipsters

The most annoying, straight out of central casting hipsters I ever saw we're at the bar which is attached to the Ace Hotel in Portland. It's like they went through a checklist before leaving home:
Thick rimmed glasses? Check
Amish beards? Check
Faded band shirt from the 80s? Check
One guy even had a John Deere trucker hat. It was so much that I almost thought they were non hipsters playing dress up for a dare.

Hipsters

Hipsters

I saw one episode of that show...

....wanted to bash my monitor and throw it away. That's just before smashing my hard drive.

Cattle 5000 Rustlings #RustleHouseRecords #5000Posts
Houston (Montrose), Texas

"May get ugly at times. But we get by. Real Niggas never die." - cdr

Follow the Rustler on Twitter | Telegram: CattleRustler

Game is the difference between a broke average looking dude in a 2nd tier city turning bad bitch feminists into maids and fucktoys and a well to do lawyer with 50x the dough taking 3 dates to bang broads in philly.

Hipsters

I'm hoping it suffers the same fate (dying a slow, painful death) as emo/scene which seemed to thrive during the middle of the decade (2003-2008). I sometimes refer to it as the MySpace era of pretension.