rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Bathing and grooming habits USA over the top?

I kinda hijacked the Oslo data sheet thread (sorry) and have always been curious about bathing habits in other countries.

I mentioned that Europeans freak out if you take long showers when visiting and have very small water heaters. I also noticed very small washing machines as well.

Last time I was in Greece this dude who drove a taxi and hung out on the corner from my place wore the same exact clothes all summer. I asked him why and he said that he bought them in the beginning of summer and will buy something else when the season changed.

My bathing habits..I take three showers a day. One to wake up then one to wash work off of me and a quick one before bed.I wash my hair once a day and floss/brush my teeth three times a day. I clean my ears once a day with minty mouthwash and cotton balls and the same with my balls and ass. The reason is I don't want to worry when I'm screwing around with a girl. If she wants to lick my ear it should be minty.

My water bill is $20 a month and power is almost $200 in the summer(A/C 24-7)

My question..Do people in other countries skimp on this because of energy and appliance costs?

Quote:Quote:

I mentioned that Europeans freak out if you take long showers when visiting and have very small water heaters.

This is due to the very high cost of water and electricity. In the winter, a lot Europeans shower only a couple of times a week, especially children.

I also noticed very small washing machines as well.

This is because of lack of space. Over the years larger, 'American' style washing machines have been introduced in the European market. Usually the doors are on the front so you can stack a washer and drier on top of each other, unlike American washing machines that open from the top.

My question..Do people in other countries skimp on this because of energy and appliance costs?

Yes.

"This is due to the very high cost of water and electricity. In the winter, a lot Europeans shower only a couple of times a week, especially children."

Doesn't that hurt at closing time?

Haven't read the discussions in the other thread but would say that it's also culture. Showering once a day is normal here (and should also be sufficient). But also costs are higher in Europe. Maybe it's also to some extent the climate. I guess that during summer most people tend to shower perhaps a bit more than usual.

That Greek dude is not representative, at least not further Western/Northern Europe.

Here's a global comparison for electricity prices:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electricity_pricing

A power bill of $ 200 /month sounds kind of exessive to me but I'm not sure how much power an A/C consumes... what do you pay during the other times of the year ?

My annual power bill is around $500 (no A/C) in Germay, despite local prices being much higher than in the US.

Jesus, three showers a day! What's that for, unless you've been doing heavy physical work/training/martial arts all day? And yes, I'm European.

I shower daily or every two days (on those 'off' days I at least change the clothes), and wash my hair during every second shower (so every 3 days, basically). I brush my teeth 2-3 times a day and floss every few days. Other than that, I don't do much grooming except for trimming nails or excessive body hair.

The energy costs don't concern me too much (even if I doubled my showers and everything, it would not double all of my electricity bill, and water is very cheap), but I would shower more if I had a quality bathroom. My bathroom has very poor thermal isolation and, in the winter, it's very chilly even with hot water running so I tend to skip showers unless I really have to have one.

"Imagine" by HCE | Hitler reacts to Battle of Montreal | An alternative use for squid that has never crossed your mind before

This is due to the very high cost of water and electricity. In the winter, a lot Europeans shower only a couple of times a week, especially children.

Dont be ridiculous. We don't live in the Victorian times.

Everyone in Europe is taught from a young age to not waste. Always turn the light off after you leave the room. Put more jumpers on instead of whacking up the central heating. Don't leave your TV on standby. Recycle, recycle recycle. It's all common sense stuff.
Its not us that's weird.. Its the rest of the world that's forcing the planet to an early death.

Quote: (10-31-2011 02:44 PM)Handsome Creepy Eel Wrote:  

Jesus, three showers a day! What's that for, unless you've been doing heavy physical work/training/martial arts all day? And yes, I'm European.

I shower daily or every two days (on those 'off' days I at least change the clothes), and wash my hair during every second shower (so every 3 days, basically). I brush my teeth 2-3 times a day and floss every few days. Other than that, I don't do much grooming except for trimming nails or excessive body hair.

The energy costs don't concern me too much (even if I doubled my showers and everything, it would not double all of my electricity bill, and water is very cheap), but I would shower more if I had a quality bathroom. My bathroom has very poor thermal isolation and, in the winter, it's very chilly even with hot water running so I tend to skip showers unless I really have to have one.
How would you know you have to take a shower? This is the thing that I don't understand. As far as i'm concerned if you have to use the toilet you are not fresh and need a shower.

As far as the dental floss goes if I run out it would cause a meltdown in my house. I will drive to the store and get some before I do anything. Food sticks in your teeth and needs to come out fast.

Can I just say the previous issue for me was not with the amount of times one takes a wash. You can have 100 showers a day for all I care. It's the fact that your are having 20 minute sessions each time which I find curious... Whats going on in there? Havnt you got shit to get on with?

Quote: (10-31-2011 03:14 PM)Richie Wrote:  

Can I just say the previous issue for me was not with the amount of times one takes a wash. You can have 100 showers a day for all I care. It's the fact that your are having 20 minute sessions each time which I find curious... Whats going on in there? Havnt you got shit to get on with?
Just the morning one is that long. I lay down in the tub and let the water pour on me. The one after work is about ten min. I make a drink and have a smoke in there. Before bed I don't get my hair wet so its only a few minutes. I have curly hair that gets messy after a while so it's good to get it wet and let it re-settle.

Wasting resources aside, excessive showering is really bad for your skin, especially if you always use soap and shampoo. Destroys the moisture and lipid balance.

It's not like you're going to be dirtier or stink if you only shower once a day, especially in the US where virtually the whole country is air conditioned.

Honestly I always believed that us yanks got mad play abroad because of our shower and hygiene habits. I'm still not sure how off that is.

Quote: (10-31-2011 01:05 PM)el mechanico Wrote:  

I kinda hijacked the Oslo data sheet thread (sorry) and have always been curious about bathing habits in other countries.

I mentioned that Europeans freak out if you take long showers when visiting and have very small water heaters. I also noticed very small washing machines as well.

Last time I was in Greece this dude who drove a taxi and hung out on the corner from my place wore the same exact clothes all summer. I asked him why and he said that he bought them in the beginning of summer and will buy something else when the season changed.

My bathing habits..I take three showers a day. One to wake up then one to wash work off of me and a quick one before bed.I wash my hair once a day and floss/brush my teeth three times a day. I clean my ears once a day with minty mouthwash and cotton balls and the same with my balls and ass. The reason is I don't want to worry when I'm screwing around with a girl. If she wants to lick my ear it should be minty.

"and the same with my balls and ass."

A little too much information me thinks!

Quote: (10-31-2011 09:18 PM)Pilgrim37 Wrote:  

Quote: (10-31-2011 01:05 PM)el mechanico Wrote:  

"and the same with my balls and ass."

A little too much information me thinks!
I'm sorry. I like to be ready at all times it feels good! Try it!

I shower twice a day, but they're pretty quick if no one's with me (couple of minutes). If I don't shower in the morning, my hair looks ridiculous (besides, it warms/moisturizes my stubble for shaving). And if I don't do a quick clean-off in the evening, I have real trouble sleeping because I feel sticky.

I do like the feel of long showers, though--often wished my tub had a "heat and recirculate" feature so I could just lay there and get rained on without any guilt. Better than a hot tub!

You guys should see the showers in EE/FSU countries. I have seen dozens of apartments in many cities and they apparently haven't been don't believe in the concept of a shower curtain. There is often no shower curtain or anything to hang a shower curtain. You take a shower and the bathroom floor has water all over it.

When viewing these apartments I've brought up the issue. I usually get a look of confusion over idea of a shower curtain and instead receive a demonstration of how I should shower (usually in a crouching position).

How about Asia and SA?

I think Brazilians shower more than Americans and have better hygiene. I usually shower twice a day but sometimes I just shower at night. Even people from the lower class in Brazil are known to have good hygiene and shower at least twice a day.

Quote: (11-01-2011 09:30 AM)Tony Snow25 Wrote:  

I think Brazilians shower more than Americans and have better hygiene. I usually shower twice a day but sometimes I just shower at night. Even people from the lower class in Brazil are known to have good hygiene and shower at least twice a day.

What part of Brazil are you talking about? I am living in Rio with 4 Brazilians, my old lady her 20 yo daughter, 18 yo niece and 14 yo son. They all shower once per day, I shower 3 times a day, my old lady tells me that I shower to much, I don't think so. You wake up sweaty, take a shower, before you go out, take a shower, before bed, take a shower. I have to wash my hair every time I shower also, My hair is pretty long, no haircut in 11 years. A lot of the people I know here in Rio are not that clean, same clothes for 2 or 3 days, some don't own a toothbrush. Sure there are scroungy people in the states, but there are just as many in Brazil.

Quote: (11-01-2011 10:44 AM)chefedemaquina Wrote:  

Quote: (11-01-2011 09:30 AM)Tony Snow25 Wrote:  

What part of Brazil are you talking about? I am living in Rio with 4 Brazilians, my old lady her 20 yo daughter, 18 yo niece and 14 yo son. They all shower once per day, I shower 3 times a day, my old lady tells me that I shower to much, I don't think so. You wake up sweaty, take a shower, before you go out, take a shower, before bed, take a shower. I have to wash my hair every time I shower also, My hair is pretty long, no haircut in 11 years. A lot of the people I know here in Rio are not that clean, same clothes for 2 or 3 days, some don't own a toothbrush. Sure there are scroungy people in the states, but there are just as many in Brazil.

Rio is hot isn't it?

When I used to live in India I had to shower at least twice a day during summer.

@
Chefedamaquina I was living in Sao Paulo. I just noticed it from the Brazilians I lived with and the girls that I dated in Brazil.

European showers and their habits sound bad..

I shower at least once a day in the morning. If I'm not feeling lazy, ill take another one before I go to bed. I stay in there about 10 minutes.

THis is the most ignorant thread ever. Europeans wash everyday the same as the rest of the world. Sometimes they will even wash twice. Especially if they are going out in the evening or it's been a particularly humid day. Big deal. You guys don't even have bedays. Now thats unhygienic.

Quote: (11-01-2011 11:43 AM)Richie Wrote:  

THis is the most ignorant thread ever. Europeans wash everyday the same as the rest of the world. Sometimes they will even wash twice. Especially if they are going out in the evening or it's been a particularly humid day. Big deal. You guys don't even have bedays. Now thats unhygienic.
I know in Greece most guys don't wear deoderant. Riding public transport is discusting. Is it like that in the UK?