rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Buying a first suit

Buying a first suit

I like keeping it casual during the week, but on weekends the crowds are bigger and the foreigners pack it in, so I like to do more to separate myself from them. I want to buy an off-the-rack suit to wear occasionally, not to get approached more but just to get that extra boost of warmer receptions from looking better than literally every other guy in the building.

Near me is a Zara and they seem to have the best selection. Here is a suit I tried on today:

[Image: 1564322401_1_1_2.jpg?timestamp=1311340908425]

It costs $250 for the jacket and pants. The breast pocket is not real, so no room for a pocket square. Every other store has suits more for work than going out. Tips? Suggestions?

Related threads:
-Suit & Tie While Traveling
-Custom Suits

Buying a first suit

Find a good tailor and have them tweak the fit. An off the rack suit can look custom from good tailoring. Express has good suits also, if there's one in your neck of the woods.

Buying a first suit

Roosh you're a straight up motherfucking pimp, check out Canali, I hear that's where it's at.

Buying a first suit

Finally! If I didn't have a spine and balls I'd almost shed a tear of pride.

You've got the right idea with buying off the rack for your first suit. In fact I just recently recommended. There's no point shelling out top dollar for a brand or tailored suit when you don't know what kind of fit and style you like for the long run. Thus a Zara or H&M suit is a good start.

Buying a first suit

Roosh.

Finally coming around. I had a feeling this day would come.

I can't wait to hear the feedback on this move.

My guess?

You will hit it out of the park.

It will be hilarious if Roosh starts becoming a Suit advocate and tons of people due to his influence begin following suit. (so to speak).

Buying a first suit

Of course one can't discount G's massive influence in suit game. [Image: smile.gif]

Buying a first suit

G Manifesto so do you believe that a dude dressed in a suit has an advatange over a dude dressed in a clean hood style?

Just wondering what is your opinion on this.

Buying a first suit

Pitt -

What do you mean exactly by "clean hood style"?

Quote: (10-18-2011 12:01 PM)Roosh Wrote:  

Of course one can't discount G's massive influence in suit game. [Image: smile.gif]

It is kind of funny, I have thought on more than one occasion that Suit Game would work really well for you.

Like I said before, I look forward to the feedback.

Buying a first suit

G nice tee, nice trousers, nice trainers, ny baseball cap (no baggy jeans and shit like that).

Buying a first suit

Quote: (10-18-2011 12:33 PM)pitt Wrote:  

G nice tee, nice trousers, nice trainers, ny baseball cap (no baggy jeans and shit like that).

I got you.

You probably know my answer.

However, I think it depends on context.

If you are in a college bar with $2 u-call-its and Mondo Nachos, then probably the "clean hood style" will work better.

If you are in a sick hotel bar with Models all around in Monte Carlo, then Custom Suited has the edge.

I go Custom Suited for many reasons:

You get treated better

You can enter places easier

More biz opps

Easier to Lock Places down

etc etc etc

Buying a first suit

The two button's a good choice. Personally I'd go with a grey suit, they just feel less business like and more suave and badass to me. Here is one on the zara site. Try to pick something that matches with your skin tone/hair and the shirts/ties you may/may not already have.
Heres a grey one from zara. http://www.zara.com/webapp/wcs/stores/se...N%2BBLAZER

Buying a first suit

Quote: (10-18-2011 01:17 PM)WesternCancer Wrote:  

The two button's a good choice. Personally I'd go with a grey suit, they just feel less business like and more suave and badass to me. Here is one on the zara site. Try to pick something that matches with your skin tone/hair and the shirts/ties you may/may not already have.
Heres a grey one from zara. http://www.zara.com/webapp/wcs/stores/se...N%2BBLAZER

Grey is a good choice.

Roosh,

I would go either, Black, Grey, Charcol, or Navy Blue for the first.

All four are the corner stone of a good wardrobe and you can wear them in almost any situation.

After that, you can start getting a little more illmatic.

Buying a first suit

I don't want to be a hypocrite, so let me admit I sometimes wear suits socially.

Most jobs no longer require suits, even on Wall Street. Your first suits should be solid (no pattern) in dark grey or blue. Solids are more versatile, with no chance of patterns clashing. For example, you wouldn't want to wear pinstripes with a plaid tie, or possibly even with a diagonal stripe rep tie. A solid suit is less memorable - if you have few suits then you don't want to be caught repeatedly wearing the same brown chalk stripe. , You can dress a solid suit up with shirts and ties. Finally, matching patterns at the seams is expensive. A solid suit will hide the flaws better.

I suggest leaning toward lighter weights, because you can wear a summer tropical wool suit in the winter, but you cannot bear a winter wool suit in D.C. summer humidity.

Athletic guys can find jackets and pants separately at Brooks Brothers and elsewhere. Otherwise a guy with 42" jacket will be unable to cut down the 36" pants to fit his 32" waist. Also, some places have jackets with matching bolts of cloth to make custom pants. Then you know the jacket fits, and the pants will be fine too.

Some guys get two pairs of pants because jackets are more durable.

When fitting pants, put your wallet and keys in the pockets. Here is a big aggravation. The tailor tells me to put my hands at my sides and look straight ahead while he measures the cuffs. Naturally the pants droop without a belt. The idiot tailor doesn't speak English and assures me everything is fine. Then the damn cuffs are too short and must be redone (no cuffs).

Compare center vent vs. side vents. If your ass is a problem then consider no vents in the jacket. Getting a good fit and good tailoring is important. So shop around for fit. Pay extra to find a good tailor.

Buying a first suit

I'm sure you can get a decent suit "off the rack", and not spend a grip on it... But, if you're only going to rock one suit, you have cash flow, why not look at it like an investment and get something really dope like an Armani or Canali suit.

I mean to each there own, how you spend your money is your biz, but I like to rock quality, that's why I opted for a $4,000 Omega watch vs. a $400 ESQ Swiss that I could have bought at Macys.

Buying a first suit

Oh, judging by what I've seen with the 'Roosh look-alikes' I met in the past here in Poland, a suit will definitely open doors. Get one.

Personally, I usually go to the kind of clubs and pubs that are leaning more to the ultra casual side, so I just feel extremely uncomfortable with a suit. It just seems too out of place. So the reason I don't wear it is that I feel weird with it..

Buying a first suit

Ok, some if not many will find this lame, bordering on pathetic, but all I can tell you is that this is magic. I have been forced to wear a "suit" for all of my adult life - its called a uniform. Forget the military, I'm talking about an airline pilot uniform. They range from sad (US carriers) to classy (Cathay, SAS, read; Euro/Asian). Personally, I can't wait to shed the monkey suit when I land, but I will let you all in on a little secret; you'd be amazed how you can pull in a pilot's uniform. If I didn't do what I do for a living, I would absolutely use a pilot uniform to pursue women. I can't remember how many women I've met inside, but more importantly - outside, an airport. I have for years, made it a rule to find good cafes/restos/bars in the cities I visit - to go hit on women while in uniform. I have a system, whereby I'm always far enough away from the crew hotel so that I don't get a reputation with my co-workers. Doing this for years, I know exactly the kind of place I'm looking for - in short, the kind of place that a guy like G would hit. If I'm in a new place, a good tip to the concierge always sends me to the kill zone I'm looking for. Now, if I didn't do what I do, I'd get a uniform made for me - plenty of tailors do this in places like Hong Kong and BKK, so they know the drill and can knock of perfect, custom made uniform that will make the women swoon. All you need is a little shop-talk to carry the BS and a story of why you are in "blank" city/country. I would find a little known cargo airline and tell the ladies that you are in said city for a temporary posting - say a month, and perhaps longer. Assuming you have rented an apartment, you are all set. Move around from neighborhood to neighborhood. Don't go drinking at night, but use this approach for lunch through PM coffee to early dinner. This will put new meaning to the term "day game". I have banged hundreds of women using this approach. You have instant social status, money and trust - plus you are a globe-trotting man of mystery. After five minutes of chatting, she will be planning her romantic holiday to St. Tropez with her dashing airline captain boyfriend. You, will be in her pants in short order. You have to use your brain with this one; you can't simply go to your favorite bar everyday at 6pm or you will quickly be outed as a clown. Also, the reason for the uniform is that you are having a relaxing lunch/cafe/dinner before heading off to work. Added bonus - wait staff. You'd be amazed at how many hot waitresses can be had with this trick. I am always alone - accompanied by the Herald Tribune, and they are almost always happy to chat. Say I walk in for lunch, have a nice chat with the waitress, tell her that I'd love to meet her for a drink later, but I'm flying out this evening to Paris.....why don't we meet on Friday when I return? Shit, if I were 30........I'd do the exact same thing all over again.

Buying a first suit

You can't go wrong with Zara as a starter suit.

$250 is a good price as well. It's cheaper than N America. The exact same suit would cost you around $350 here.

Buying a first suit

Quote: (10-18-2011 01:54 PM)LostGringo Wrote:  

Ok, some if not many will find this lame, bordering on pathetic, but all I can tell you is that this is magic. I have been forced to wear a "suit" for all of my adult life - its called a uniform. Forget the military, I'm talking about an airline pilot uniform. They range from sad (US carriers) to classy (Cathay, SAS, read; Euro/Asian). Personally, I can't wait to shed the monkey suit when I land, but I will let you all in on a little secret; you'd be amazed how you can pull in a pilot's uniform. If I didn't do what I do for a living, I would absolutely use a pilot uniform to pursue women. I can't remember how many women I've met inside, but more importantly - outside, an airport. I have for years, made it a rule to find good cafes/restos/bars in the cities I visit - to go hit on women while in uniform. I have a system, whereby I'm always far enough away from the crew hotel so that I don't get a reputation with my co-workers. Doing this for years, I know exactly the kind of place I'm looking for - in short, the kind of place that a guy like G would hit. If I'm in a new place, a good tip to the concierge always sends me to the kill zone I'm looking for. Now, if I didn't do what I do, I'd get a uniform made for me - plenty of tailors do this in places like Hong Kong and BKK, so they know the drill and can knock of perfect, custom made uniform that will make the women swoon. All you need is a little shop-talk to carry the BS and a story of why you are in "blank" city/country. I would find a little known cargo airline and tell the ladies that you are in said city for a temporary posting - say a month, and perhaps longer. Assuming you have rented an apartment, you are all set. Move around from neighborhood to neighborhood. Don't go drinking at night, but use this approach for lunch through PM coffee to early dinner. This will put new meaning to the term "day game". I have banged hundreds of women using this approach. You have instant social status, money and trust - plus you are a globe-trotting man of mystery. After five minutes of chatting, she will be planning her romantic holiday to St. Tropez with her dashing airline captain boyfriend. You, will be in her pants in short order. You have to use your brain with this one; you can't simply go to your favorite bar everyday at 6pm or you will quickly be outed as a clown. Also, the reason for the uniform is that you are having a relaxing lunch/cafe/dinner before heading off to work. Added bonus - wait staff. You'd be amazed at how many hot waitresses can be had with this trick. I am always alone - accompanied by the Herald Tribune, and they are almost always happy to chat. Say I walk in for lunch, have a nice chat with the waitress, tell her that I'd love to meet her for a drink later, but I'm flying out this evening to Paris.....why don't we meet on Friday when I return? Shit, if I were 30........I'd do the exact same thing all over again.

I don't doubt it for a second.

I mentioned the move here: http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-7289-p...#pid104071

Buying a first suit

If I were to go for a casual suit look minus tie, I like this guy's color scheme. Hey G, what color shoes would you recommend with look?

Buying a first suit

LostGringo, great post.

Quote:Quote:

You have to use your brain with this one; you can't simply go to your favorite bar everyday at 6pm or you will quickly be outed as a clown. Also, the reason for the uniform is that you are having a relaxing lunch/cafe/dinner before heading off to work.

You could just say you live there - eg, live in Northern California, and do the Oakland - Miami route. You're in your uniform because you're about to fly or because you just landed. I live close to the airport, and there are lots of airline employees who live in my area.

The only risk is someone who knows you're not a pilot tipping them off, but that's unlikely.

G, do you have any spots to recommend around LAX/South Bay? Sharkeez isn't exactly suit friendly, as you know.

I highly recommend searching Styleforum.net when you have questions about clothes. Lots of crazy clotheshorses there, an excellent resource. The advice there is much more reliable.

Buying a first suit

Roosh in a suit? Is it April fools already?

Buying a first suit

Quote: (10-18-2011 12:46 PM)thegmanifesto Wrote:  

If you are in a sick hotel bar with Models all around in Monte Carlo, then Custom Suited has the edge.[/b]

You get treated better

More biz opps

etc etc etc

There was an awesome CBS special (maybe it's on youtube) about a regular guy...skinny bicyclist type.

They showed how he was treated before. Then suited him up. Different universe.

When he took the suit off, he looked like he was about to cry. He wanted to keep the suit.

He had seen the light.

Guys who don't have great bodies should especially wear suits. It adds the illusion of 20 pounds of muscle for the skinny guys, and drops 20 pounds of fat for the fat ones.

Buying a first suit

Find a celebrity who looks like you. Similar build is fine, but facial structure and skin tone is optimal.

Google the shit out of the guy.

Find pics of him wearing suit.

That will tell you color and style. Fit will be better, since he's getting them custom made. But it will put you in the ball park.

That's how to pick out a hair style, too.

Buying a first suit

Quote: (10-18-2011 02:42 PM)speakeasy Wrote:  

If I were to go for a casual suit look minus tie, I like this guy's color scheme. Hey G, what color shoes would you recommend with look?

It is hard to tell.

Is it just me or does his pants look a different color than the jacket?

The jacket looks slightly faded too.

But if we are talking a black Suit, then you can rock it with anything.

Find out which colors look best on you.

I like rocking solids, not stripes or checks for shirts.

Quote: (10-18-2011 05:27 PM)MikeCF Wrote:  

Quote: (10-18-2011 12:46 PM)thegmanifesto Wrote:  

If you are in a sick hotel bar with Models all around in Monte Carlo, then Custom Suited has the edge.[/b]

You get treated better

More biz opps

etc etc etc

There was an awesome CBS special (maybe it's on youtube) about a regular guy...skinny bicyclist type.

They showed how he was treated before. Then suited him up. Different universe.

When he took the suit off, he looked like he was about to cry. He wanted to keep the suit.

He had seen the light.

Guys who don't have great bodies should especially wear suits. It adds the illusion of 20 pounds of muscle for the skinny guys, and drops 20 pounds of fat for the fat ones.

I would love to watch that.

Buying a first suit

Quote: (10-18-2011 10:38 AM)Roosh Wrote:  

I like keeping it casual during the week, but on weekends the crowds are bigger and the foreigners pack it in, so I like to do more to separate myself from them. I want to buy an off-the-rack suit to wear occasionally, not to get approached more but just to get that extra boost of warmer receptions from looking better than literally every other guy in the building.

Near me is a Zara and they seem to have the best selection. Here is a suit I tried on today:

It costs $250 for the jacket and pants. The breast pocket is not real, so no room for a pocket square. Every other store has suits more for work than going out. Tips? Suggestions?