rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

IT'S OFFICIAL: The Recession Has Created A New Lost Generation

New census data released today reveals that the recession has made American 20 to 30-somethings into a Lost Generation of unemployed and underemployed, the AP reports.

According to economists, this trend will continue through the decade, and when its over, it will take another decade for this generation to fully recover.

The dream of going to college, getting a degree, finding a job, and striking out on your own has dissipated, leaving only staggering numbers. Only 2.4% of college graduates find jobs that motivate them to move out of state. So they go home.

5.9 million members of The Lost Generation will leave college and return home to live with their parents, that's 25% more than the last recession. Most of them are men.

When they do get home, this generation will work odd jobs until they can start careers. But only a little over half of them make it to that point (55.3%).

Of course this delays the entire process of becoming an adult, getting married, buying a house, and starting a family. Marriage among those aged 24-32 reached a new low of 44.2%. Homeownership fell from 67.3% in 2006 to 65.4% in 2010.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/america-l...z1YhfxnKRD

What is the younger cats take on this?

Overblown?

Dead on?

Thoughts?

Sounds like a bunch of sociology, english, humanities, communications and "general" business majors....

.....ahh, just joking :-)

I think it's pretty accurate. I've said in numerous threads on this forum that going to college or even getting an advanced degree has become a waste of time. You go into debt, waste years sitting around reading books, and then most likely end up either unemployed or taking whatever job you can find.

Go onto any large job search website in the U.S. and trying finding a job that pays more than $14 an hour that doesn't require 5+ years of some kind of specialized experience. This creates a situation where people getting out of college or grad school take whatever they can get to pay the bills.

Although the decreases in marriage and homeownership are probably a good thing from my perspective. We don't need more boring suburbanites sustaining themselves on lame television. The U.S. had a few decades of that and it didn't turn out too well.

When I think about it, the main reason they're saying this generation is "lost" is because they're not shackled to mortgages and families. The writers are definitely living in the past.

Quote: (09-22-2011 12:43 PM)Vitriol Wrote:  

I think it's pretty accurate. I've said in numerous threads on this forum that going to college or even getting an advanced degree has become a waste of time. You go into debt, waste years sitting around reading books, and then most likely end up either unemployed or taking whatever job you can find.

Depends on what you study in college. Where I work, every year we hire fresh grads from the mathematics, computer science (not info systems) and some engineering disciplines.

I was lucky to graduate from college and begin my career on the cusp of the recession back at the end of 2008. I barely missed it, as the next semester of graduates got hit... hard.

Vice-Captain - #TeamWaitAndSee

Retiring at blah blah age is pretty much over.

Not much stays open late in Miami, but the places that do -- i.e. CVS, Walgreens -- all have employees 65+ working at the different locations.

Who the fuck wants to be 65 and ringing up the order of some college dude who's buying a 6 pack of Natty Ice and a box of lifestyles at 3:30 AM?

http://www.businessinsider.com/6-depress...sus-2011-9

This hits home because my brother is a sophomore in high school. My dad is hellbent on him going to college, but doesn't understand that things have changed in 15 years. Unless my brother plans to study something like engineering or medicine, I'm going to urge him not to go.

Quote: (09-22-2011 02:44 PM)Roosh Wrote:  

This hits home because my brother is a sophomore in high school. My dad is hellbent on him going to college, but doesn't understand that things have changed in 15 years. Unless my brother plans to study something like engineering or medicine, I'm going to urge him not to go.

If he is smart enough, have him major in computer engineering. Then move him out to Silicon Valley. Lots of money to be made, and lots of girls in S.F. along with a huge shortage of guys with any masculinity or game.

It may change by the time he's college bound. It's something to monitor and consider.

College isnt that bad an idea even if you dont go to one of those majors, the key is to just do it on the cheap and stay out of debt. Two years of community college and then transfer to a state school. but if you spend 40k a year to go study Spanish or something retarded at a private school you are basically committing financial suicide. the problem w/not going to college is that its going to rule you out of a lot of jobs, some of which you may want. most people in their 20's arent at the point where they can go out on their own yet and need to have a corporate paycheck, and you wont get that w/o a degree.

He's a sophomore? I hope he reads your material and practices game.

I think for teenagers its essential that they practice their entrepreneurial skills by starting their own part time business. Going to college for 4 years is useless unless its for the hard sciences or anything specialized like medicine. A liberal arts degree is pretty shitty these days so its better to learn to be self reliant and make one's own living.

I see college as a place to bang chicks, take some interesting classes, and make some connections, I don't delude myself into thinking that a college degree will land me a golden job. My parents want to pay for it so its fine by me(they can afford it). I might as well take some cool easy courses and learn Spanish.

At the same time I'm working to make sure I have my own biz set up so I come out of college with a good amount of cash saved up so I can travel.

Unfortunately, the economy has it so that the ONLY college majors with a good ROI (return on investment) are:

1) Computer Science (hardware or software engineering emphasis)
2) Computer Engineering (emphasis in hardware or software engineering, networks, cryptology or information assurance)
3) Mathematics (applied or computer science emphasis)
4) Petroleum Engineering
5) Chemical Engineering (Petroleum emphasis)
6) Accounting (may need to attend a big or high-ranked school)
7) Finance (may need to attend a big or high-ranked school)
8) Nursing
9) Medicine

Any other college major and right now.....it's a crap shoot.

Quote: (09-22-2011 12:29 PM)thegmanifesto Wrote:  

New census data released today reveals that the recession has made American 20 to 30-somethings into a Lost Generation of unemployed and underemployed, the AP reports.

According to economists, this trend will continue through the decade, and when its over, it will take another decade for this generation to fully recover.

The dream of going to college, getting a degree, finding a job, and striking out on your own has dissipated, leaving only staggering numbers. Only 2.4% of college graduates find jobs that motivate them to move out of state. So they go home.

5.9 million members of The Lost Generation will leave college and return home to live with their parents, that's 25% more than the last recession. Most of them are men.

When they do get home, this generation will work odd jobs until they can start careers. But only a little over half of them make it to that point (55.3%).

Of course this delays the entire process of becoming an adult, getting married, buying a house, and starting a family. Marriage among those aged 24-32 reached a new low of 44.2%. Homeownership fell from 67.3% in 2006 to 65.4% in 2010.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/america-l...z1YhfxnKRD

What is the younger cats take on this?

Overblown?

Dead on?

Thoughts?

Also G, I'm seeing a small subset of younger people who understand the situation and are working hard as hell to make their own cash.
A lot of them are into game, something about changing your personality gives you confidence and the patience to stick with business.

delete

I think a lot of younger people just aren't motivated. Its always going to be out there if you want it bad enough

I believe college is important, unfortunately due to political corruption our economy does not cultivate creative fields or teaching.

I think kids who have exceptionally good parents will be pushed into science and math fields.

Kids who have stupid parents will "get supported in whatever they choose". and probably end up living at home with no financial freedom until something works out.

Here's the thing, if you're getting a degree in anything but science, engineering, technology, or mathematics, you're in for a tough time. It doesn't even need to be pure math, if you did economics or finance you're probably OK.

However, if you did one of those majors, life is good since there's a shitton of jobs that can't be filled since no one has the skills for them.

There's seems to be some unanimity among the degrees that actually pay off, but the parent company that contracts mine has a lot of positions in those field and almost all of them are staffed by people not from this country, how is immigration going to effect the future of those degrees?

Chef In Jeans
A culinary website for men

Quote: (09-22-2011 03:04 PM)UrbanNerd Wrote:  

Unfortunately, the economy has it so that the ONLY college majors with a good ROI (return on investment) are:

2) Computer Engineering (emphasis in hardware or software engineering, networks, cryptology or information assurance)
4) Petroleum Engineering
8) Nursing
9) Medicine

Electrical eng. is shitty?

I've though about this at some length in the past, and I'd recommend that everyone get a degree, but perhaps wait until you are 21-22 to start. Why? Well, first, you'll have a better and easier time fucking every 18 year old in sight.

Second, because its a way to spend four years attaining a piece of paper that can act as a fail-safe if approached the right way.

Very few people take anyone who is under 23-24 seriously in the workplace, anyway, unless you join the army or become a cop/fireman (both increasingly demand college degrees for the job).

Not getting a degree, today, DEMANDS that you become successful by creating a product or service on your own. There is no real future in any employment scenario where you will have a decent life without a degree. Exceptions: cop, soldier, other low level or dangerous government positions. You can get paid in all of these.

Its all about strategy.

Even if you have no current desire to become a teacher or, god forbid, a medical services person, get a degree in one of those fields. That way, you can always get a job that will at least allow you some dignity and perhaps fulfillment should the business ideas fail or until you become experienced enough to think of a business idea that will work.

Figuring out, at 27-30 years old, that you need a four year degree before anyone will even consider you for a meager job is a shitty place to be in. Businesses fail all the time, even ones that were successful in the past. So, I consider spending a few years in the early twenties to get a degree, when you wouldn't be doing shit but trying to fuck women and drinking anyway, a smart use of those early years. At the very least, even if you decide to go into something completely different than your degree, you have the basic courses out of the way that will allow you to get a second degree with only a 1-1.5 year investment. That's what I'm doing right now. If I had to start from scratch, i'd be truly fucked. Actually, I'd probably be relegated to making $600-$1000 per month teaching ESL in third world countries for the rest of my life. It sounds good to adventure seekers, but its not. Oh, and you need a degree to do that in most worthwhile countries.

Unless you have a family business to inherit, some inside track on a government job that doesn't require a degree, or already have an internet business that is doing very well, then its a good idea.

Quote: (09-22-2011 03:04 PM)UrbanNerd Wrote:  

4) Petroleum Engineering
8) Nursing
9) Medicine

Although it may be worse now in these economic times, this is nothing new at all.

The best correlation between college and $$$ made in a lifetime is number of math classes taken. The top seven are all heavy in math. Its simple supply and demand. I'm actually a math fan, and have an engineering degree so I'm lucky. Only a small subset of people I know could do my job (its not even directly engineering) but conversely, I'll bet I could do 90% of my friends jobs as good or better than them with a bit of training. Most people just don't like or understand math.

Quote: (09-22-2011 01:29 PM)Gmac Wrote:  

I was lucky to graduate from college and begin my career on the cusp of the recession back at the end of 2008. I barely missed it, as the next semester of graduates got hit... hard.

Me as well. I started in 2007.

Only in hindsight do I realize how lucky I was. Like, if I wasn't hired, where the fcuk would I be now? After only 4 years I'm making twice what I started with and they didn't start me on peanuts.

The main problem with this recession is it is not just a temporary recession like the others in the past. It is a slump. A slowdown. A game changer.

I guarantee you the unemployment rate will be high for several more years. I currently go to a pretty good school, have high grades, and am majoring in an "in demand" major (accounting) that was listed above, and I am still finding it hard to find a full-time job through on-campus recruiting. I very well may graduate with lots of federal loans, no job and no prospects.

The game done changed.

The only positive is that all my loans qualify for IBR, so I don't really have to worry about paying the money back if I don't get a good job. I may not even have to pay much of the interest back. Thanks, Jorge Arbusto! (Dubbuya)[Image: banana.gif]

Only problem is what happens when the shit hits the fan and the federal loan program goes bankrupt due to too many people being on IBR?

Oh well.

It is often more important for a person to have a skill with their hands during a recession than a 4 year college degree. Also the idea of finding the right job that motivates a person to move out of state is a joke. Being self employed is far better in my opinion than working for the system. I personally think anyone dumb enough to get a liberal arts degree gets what they deserve.

I don't think it's just the recession. There's a whole developing world full of kids who are hungry for success and they're getting themselves educated. I'm going to Asia to hire at the entry-level for my company wherever possible. Fuck paying 4x as much for some dull eyed know-nothing facebook checker stateside.

Overpopulation means human life is getting cheap. There's over 200,000 humans added to the world's population every day and that number is increasing exponentially. You better be able to do something useful or you're going to be fucked pretty soon here.