rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Super foods?

Super foods?

I am really into dieting and working out, so I have been researching a lot of random stuff about this stuff. But I always wondered, is there super foods that on top of obviously being healthy, have pros to physical traits/beauty?

for example, water for good skin... avocado's for good hair/skin... banana good for hair, oysters before a night out, etc etc

any proven ones? any you guys live by?

Super foods?

Blueberries and green tea that are alway a staple in my diet. Blueberries more than anything else.
Anti-oxidants are key to keeping the body healthy...and blueberries rank at the top.

Super foods?

I started eating 85%+ (cocoa) dark chocolate lately, which supposedly raises dopamine and serotonin and has other health benefits.

Super foods?

^ Really? That's interesting... you got more info?

Super foods?

allchocolate.com/health/basics/

marksdailyapple.com is my go-to health blog, but that's the first site google says and looks legit.

Super foods?

Spinach
Avocado
Broccoli
Blueberry
Green/White Tea
Kale
Almond

Super foods?

Is this Oprah?

Make sure your diet doesn't have any nutritional deficiencies. Eat lots of varieties of vegetables in every meal and fruits daily. Thats about it.

Super foods?

Quote: (09-18-2011 08:13 PM)1bliss Wrote:  

I am really into dieting and working out, so I have been researching a lot of random stuff about this stuff. But I always wondered, is there super foods that on top of obviously being healthy, have pros to physical traits/beauty?

for example, water for good skin... avocado's for good hair/skin... banana good for hair, oysters before a night out, etc etc

As a Naturopath, I can tell you to dump any and all supplements you have,unless of course you are wiling to submit to blood analysis to show you what you are lacking in nutrients, minerals, and vitamins. Secondly, most people don't know the o.r.a.c. value of any fruit or vegetable that they are eating and what the optimum levels are to eat these said things.

There is nothing natural in what you eat today , and therefore , the best you can do is understand ingredients and the order that they are placed in. Your body type (ectomorph, endomorph, mesomorphs)determines how your liver will metabolize any and everything you put in your system, which correlates to diet. Diet, has many different definitions, so to answer your question, unless someone is willing to evaluate you entirely , as opposed to a post you have written, there is no way to accurately answer this question. I might add that a persons expectations are not without its own set of flaws , hence, distorting the reality of what is required or needed.

Pusscrook

Super foods?

Quote: (09-19-2011 08:20 PM)Pusscrook Wrote:  

As a Naturopath, I can tell you to dump any and all supplements you have,unless of course you are wiling to submit to blood analysis to show you what you are lacking in nutrients, minerals, and vitamins. Secondly, most people don't know the o.r.a.c. value of any fruit or vegetable that they are eating and what the optimum levels are to eat these said things.

There is nothing natural in what you eat today , and therefore , the best you can do is understand ingredients and the order that they are placed in. Your body type (ectomorph, endomorph, mesomorphs)determines how your liver will metabolize any and everything you put in your system, which correlates to diet. Diet, has many different definitions, so to answer your question, unless someone is willing to evaluate you entirely , as opposed to a post you have written, there is no way to accurately answer this question. I might add that a persons expectations are not without its own set of flaws , hence, distorting the reality of what is required or needed.

Pusscrook
If I answer the questions you need, would you be able to give me more information on what I need/require? (obviously minus the blood test)

Super foods?

Quote: (09-20-2011 08:09 AM)1bliss Wrote:  

Pusscrook
If I answer the questions you need, would you be able to give me more information on what I need/require? (obviously minus the blood test)

I don't mind trying, with a disclaimer of course... There's a lot you can do to find out where you are right now, prior to even setting goals. I often hear people say "I want to lose weight, tone up, get buffed, eat heathy, etc. My response is always..."how well do you know your own body"?Invest a little time in you, meaning, monitor your habits (write the data down), and see how your body is reacting to whatever it is you are doing right now. Analysis aside, there are tons of things you can already identify if you are paying attention to your body.

Best Regards,

Pusscrook

Super foods?

Quote: (09-20-2011 10:25 AM)Pusscrook Wrote:  

Quote: (09-20-2011 08:09 AM)1bliss Wrote:  

Pusscrook

I don't mind trying, with a disclaimer of course... There's a lot you can do to find out where you are right now, prior to even setting goals. I often hear people say "I want to lose weight, tone up, get buffed, eat heathy, etc. My response is always..."how well do you know your own body"?Invest a little time in you, meaning, monitor your habits (write the data down), and see how your body is reacting to whatever it is you are doing right now. Analysis aside, there are tons of things you can already identify if you are paying attention to your body.

Best Regards,

Pusscrook

ultramind.com/files/guide.pdf

Super foods?

Eh, superfoods are bogus. Sure, there are foods with great properties, like the ones listed above. But it's not going to make up for a shitty diet. Superfoods get so much play because people desperately want to hear, "oh, if I have half a cup of blueberries every day, I'll be healthy!" Nah son.

And it's not clear antioxidants are all that beneficial. http://www.slate.com/id/2300578/

Super foods?

Quote: (09-20-2011 12:00 PM)basilransom Wrote:  

Eh, superfoods are bogus. Sure, there are foods with great properties, like the ones listed above. But it's not going to make up for a shitty diet. Superfoods get so much play because people desperately want to hear, "oh, if I have half a cup of blueberries every day, I'll be healthy!" Nah son.

And it's not clear antioxidants are all that beneficial. http://www.slate.com/id/2300578/

I will agree with 99% of this except that part about superfoods being bogus. Perhaps it may be that the saturation of neuro-marketers have distorted the facts, but certainly they are not bogus if the science of it is understood. No consumer has that kind of time.

Super foods?

You know whats a super food? A big pot of soup made with good lean meats, lots of veggies, and a flavorful broth. Thats super food. Individual items are just ingredients.

Stop trying to find one-off shortcuts to healthy eating and like Pusscrook said, educate yourself on what you need and what it is that you're putting into your body.

Chef In Jeans
A culinary website for men

Super foods?

Well for the record, I am very lean and have always been this way my whole life. Maybe because I've been in sports my whole life up until priorities kicked in. But even then, I'm still active every single day; hit the gym 5x/week and I get in around an hours worth of walking per day. I believe I am an ectomorph but I don't have the 'lanky' characteristic. Also, I'm a sucker for junk food, been eating chips/candy ever since I was a kid and it has never affected me (I hope I didn't just jynx it).

I'm a firm believer in 'nothing is bad for you unless you have too much of it'. Too much of anything is bad for you, even fruits, milk, protein, and veggies. So if I do have a bad day food wise or even a bad week, I make sure I counter that by still somehow eating below maintenance in calories, I think that's how I maintain low BF% (calories in vs calories out).

But my initial question was regarding food that is good for your skin, hair, mood, energy, etc. Everybody, including experts, celebrities, models, etc claim that drinking a lot of water is so key for nice, shiny, elastic skin. But when I do focus on drinking as much water as I can, I just end up pissing 10x a day and do not see any difference in my skin.

Super foods?

A carne asada burrito with cheese, guacamole, sour cream, and salsa. That's the most super ever.

Super foods?

Quote: (09-20-2011 04:50 PM)1bliss Wrote:  

Well for the record, I am very lean and have always been this way my whole life. Maybe because I've been in sports my whole life up until priorities kicked in. But even then, I'm still active every single day; hit the gym 5x/week and I get in around an hours worth of walking per day. I believe I am an ectomorph but I don't have the 'lanky' characteristic. Also, I'm a sucker for junk food, been eating chips/candy ever since I was a kid and it has never affected me (I hope I didn't just jynx it).

I'm a firm believer in 'nothing is bad for you unless you have too much of it'. Too much of anything is bad for you, even fruits, milk, protein, and veggies. So if I do have a bad day food wise or even a bad week, I make sure I counter that by still somehow eating below maintenance in calories, I think that's how I maintain low BF% (calories in vs calories out).

But my initial question was regarding food that is good for your skin, hair, mood, energy, etc. Everybody, including experts, celebrities, models, etc claim that drinking a lot of water is so key for nice, shiny, elastic skin. But when I do focus on drinking as much water as I can, I just end up pissing 10x a day and do not see any difference in my skin.

You see? You're already answering some of your questions/concern, so it's not so hard at all. In reference to your hair, skin, mood , etc., unless you have an enormous amount of time to dedicate to the understanding of hormonal imbalances, and the the function of each gland, my suggestion to you is to go to a proven practitioner who can make simple recommendations to you. Remember, the people you see on t.v., pitching 100 products , have never asked you one question. For them, it's one size fits all, and you know why. Find out why water is just that, water. Instead of drinking water to have the skin of a baby's ass, find out why the body even needs water in the first place. Does water have a place in your health, absolutely, but this is no miracle cure for anything. Imagine this, you drink as much water as an elephant at a watering hole , yet, you see no change. What does that tell you? Perhaps drinking a lot of water is not the key to what you seek, right? You can eat as many blueberries, as a bird in the summer, yet, see no change.
Doctors get paid handsomely because you have to visit them repeatedly. Imagine if they cured you and everyone else immediately, they would all be broke! Everything, is observation over a period of time, so it's up to you to learn, you.

Good luck,

Pusscrook

Super foods?

Quote: (09-20-2011 12:00 PM)basilransom Wrote:  

I don't agree that Superfoods are bogus. I definitely agree that eating "healthy" foods does not make up for the deficiencies in a diet...it's the age-old adage about eating a snickers and drinking a diet coke. But a half cup of blueberries every day, in my opinion and backed by a plethora of studies, will have a positive effect on your health...regardless of your other poor diet choices. Doesn't necessarily make you healthy, but it contributes to overall good health.

Re antioxidants, there is overwhelming research that supports them as beneficial to the body. There will always be studies and so-called experts who support the contrary. But I think the evidence on the health effects of blueberries, and antioxidants, is compelling.

Super foods?

Super food: New York cut (two fingers high) T-Bone (preferably Kobe), extra rare.
Sashimi a close second.

Super foods?

Quote: (09-19-2011 08:06 PM)babelfish669 Wrote:  

Is this Oprah?

Make sure your diet doesn't have any nutritional deficiencies. Eat lots of varieties of vegetables in every meal and fruits daily. Thats about it.

THIS
+1

Super foods?

Quote: (09-19-2011 08:06 PM)babelfish669 Wrote:  

Is this Oprah?

+2

To the list, I would add a gallon of water a day, 8+ hours of sleep and make sure your meals are made of unprocessed food.

Of course their is food and their is better food, but there is no miracle food.

I am no gentleman

Super foods?

Bee pollen and quinoa. Unfortunately I haven't found them yet in Russia but I can vouch for both of them due to past experience. Bee pollen gives incredible energy because it contains a lot of vitamin B-12.

Super foods?

Quinoa is tasty. But advocates of the Paleo diet (read: FAD diet... ya, i said it...the Paleo Diet FAD will hopefully die out in a few years from now) will say that grains are bad for you.

Here's a basic grocery list for you:
Eggs, fish- salmon, sardines (only wild caught, not farmed), chicken, almonds, extra virgin coconut oil (to be used for cooking), olive oil, sunflower seeds, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, carrots, spinach, cucumber, onions, oranges, blueberries

Super foods?

Quote: (09-21-2011 09:43 AM)travolta Wrote:  

Quinoa is tasty. But advocates of the Paleo diet (read: FAD diet... ya, i said it...the Paleo Diet FAD will hopefully die out in a few years from now) will say that grains are bad for you.

Here's a basic grocery list for you:
Eggs, fish- salmon, sardines (only wild caught, not farmed), chicken, almonds, extra virgin coconut oil (to be used for cooking), olive oil, sunflower seeds, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, carrots, spinach, cucumber, onions, oranges, blueberries

Funny that you emphasize that the paleo lifestyle is a fad, and then go on to recommend a shopping list of foods -- all of which fit in well with the paleo lifestyle. I think it's easier to show links to the negative effects of grains on the human body than it is to show positive. So, yes, I will say grains are bad for humans (I developed this belief through personal experience). Just because something goes mainstream does not make it wrong or bad.

Super foods?

I have to agree with Smitty. The reasoning behind why the paleo diet works rings true with the two major diets I've used to drop almost 80 pounds, get leaner, stronger, and beefier.

Although, I think the paleo diet doesn't have the standing that grains are bad, just that they should be eaten only on occasion or in very small doses. In the modern world we're steeped in grains so we've gotten to a point where a "normal" portion is WAY out there. Having a small serving of quinoa once a week isn't gonna kill you, probably has some health benefits that'd be good to have, but eating a half cup of it every day? Thats no bueno.

Chef In Jeans
A culinary website for men