rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Unspoken advantages of light smoking.

Since last year or so, I've become a light smoker, smoking anywhere between 3-5 ciggs a day.

I won't say I'm addicted to them because I've gone without them for extended periods (weeks/months) and not really craved them.

But I keep coming back to them, because I feel it improves my quality of life in a way which is usually not discussed. For instance:

1. I find that when I'm looking forward to smoking a cigarette, I'm more motivated to complete an unpleasant task that I would usually put off. Smoking serves as a reward system and hence I feel it improves my overall productivity.

2. It makes me more social, not in a way that it increases my confidence or something, but simply because the act of going out and smoking the occasional cigarette around other smokers means you're more likely to have a conversation and thus end-up making friends/talking to chics.

3. This point may be a bit controversial but I definitely feel that smoking a cigarette has a manly style element about it and that chics are drawn to smokers as they ooze self confidence and exhibit a rebellious bad boy spirit.

4. More moments of my life are filled with excitement and pleasant anticipation when I smoke because the gaps when I'm not smoking also feel good as I know something pleasurable awaits me. This makes me more relaxed about life in general and I feel a sense of well being.

5. Similar to the second point, smoking amongst guys usually results in honest and frank conversations which they may not have with you otherwise, especially friends who are not very close. This can lead to a quicker bond if the conversation is personal or a great networking opportunity if the conversation is professional.

6. Lastly, for a loner like me, smoking seems a perfect fit as it really alleviates boredom and is something that can be done alone without looking awkward. This makes the dependence on other people less.

Now I know I've only talked about the advantages and not the cons. I'm well aware of the dangers of smoking.

But I also firmly believe that life does not always follow a linear logic.

Also, I work out 4 days a week and take care of my diet.

So do you think the types of advantages mentioned above can be a sound reason to justify light smoking?

Quote: (07-01-2017 01:36 PM)testos111 Wrote:  

Since last year or so, I've become a light smoker, smoking anywhere between 3-5 ciggs a day.

Keep it up and your teeth will become a disgusting shade of yellow and your skin will age prematurely.

But I keep coming back to them, because I feel it improves my quality of life in a way which is usually not discussed. For instance:

1. I find that when I'm looking forward to smoking a cigarette, I'm more motivated to complete an unpleasant task that I would usually put off. Smoking serves as a reward system and hence I feel it improves my overall productivity.

You're addicted.

2. It makes me more social, not in a way that it increases my confidence or something, but simply because the act of going out and smoking the occasional cigarette around other smokers means you're more likely to have a conversation and thus end-up making friends/talking to chics.

True, it will make you more social, but you'll be being social with lower quality people. That may or may not be ok with you depending on where you are at in life and your goals at that period of time.

3. This point may be a bit controversial but I definitely feel that smoking a cigarette has a manly style element about it and that chics are drawn to smokers as they ooze self confidence and exhibit a rebellious bad boy spirit.

Cigarette companies have excellent marketing, they've succeeded in making you believe this. Sucking on a burning piece of paper and other materials does not, in and of itself, make you self confident, manly, or a rebellious bad boy in any way, shape, or form. However, if you're easily susceptible to marketing, then you could definitely believe that, because that's exactly what the marketing is trying to make you believe. Those ad dollars have literally molded your thoughts on the matter. On the plus side, many girls, again, generally the lower quality ones, may also be strongly influenced by that marketing and believe this as well.

4. More moments of my life are filled with excitement and pleasant anticipation when I smoke because the gaps when I'm not smoking also feel good as I know something pleasurable awaits me. This makes me more relaxed about life in general and I feel a sense of well being.

You're addicted.

5. Similar to the second point, smoking amongst guys usually results in honest and frank conversations which they may not have with you otherwise, especially friends who are not very close. This can lead to a quicker bond if the conversation is personal or a great networking opportunity if the conversation is professional.

Yes, with generally lower quality people. If you want to bond with higher quality people, start your own business and grow it, the people at the top actually making moves, not simply living out an eat, shit, Netflix, 9 to 5 existence, are a very small group of people.

6. Lastly, for a loner like me, smoking seems a perfect fit as it really alleviates boredom and is something that can be done alone without looking awkward. This makes the dependence on other people less.

The fact that you care about "looking awkward" shows how much you still need to grow as a man, and it's also why you're so susceptible to the marketing of the tobacco companies, you don't know who you are yet, and they are selling you a pre-made identity, a "masculine bad boy," for a couple of bucks a month and some possible health risks which you don't even pay for immediately, you can defer that cost. It's a good sell, creating an identity through adversity and success is far, far, far more difficult and far more costly than simply buying a pack of cigarettes.

Now I know I've only talked about the advantages and not the cons. I'm well aware of the dangers of smoking.

You're aware of them, but it's like the person that takes out student loans, they can get the benefits immediately, and the costs won't come due for years, so you keep taking out more and more.

More like you firmly believe in the tobacco companies' marketing, but you've got enough doubts to make this post.

That's neither here nor there.

So do you think the types of advantages mentioned above can be a sound reason to justify light smoking?

Whether it's sound or not depends on how much of the tobacco companies' marketing you've internalized and how addicted you are.

If you've internalized it 100% and you're addicted, it will be the most sound decision you've ever made.

If you haven't internalized it and aren't addicted, the entire habit is nasty, unhealthy, and an indicator of a person with a lower level of self-development.

Anyone who grew up in the US in the 70s should remember these SMOKING IS DEBONAIR posters. Obviously they just served to glamorize smoking further among kids. At first glance I thought this was Ayn Rand (who was pro-smoking but died from smoking-related diseases).
[Image: 4w3IWYx.jpg]

It does seem like some people are able to maintain very light smoking without progressing to becoming addicted or making it a habit.

I remember when light smoking and not using condoms were considered cool on the forum. Brilliant people often have one or two idiotic ideas.

UPDATE: The reason the anti-smoking campaign above failed is that it didn't account for teenage psychology. Teenagers don't have the capacity to think about the future. Only the now exists for them. It would have been better to focus on bad breath or stained teeth with photos of teenagers, not old people. Those are things that teenagers could care about.

Quote: (07-01-2017 02:37 PM)Spaniard88 Wrote:  

Keep it up and your teeth will become a disgusting shade of yellow and your skin will age prematurely.

You're addicted.

True, it will make you more social, but you'll be being social with lower quality people. That may or may not be ok with you depending on where you are at in life and your goals at that period of time.

Cigarette companies have excellent marketing, they've succeeded in making you believe this. Sucking on a burning piece of paper and other materials does not, in and of itself, make you self confident, manly, or a rebellious bad boy in any way, shape, or form. However, if you're easily susceptible to marketing, then you could definitely believe that, because that's exactly what the marketing is trying to make you believe. Those ad dollars have literally molded your thoughts on the matter. On the plus side, many girls, again, generally the lower quality ones, may also be strongly influenced by that marketing and believe this as well.

You're addicted.

Yes, with generally lower quality people. If you want to bond with higher quality people, start your own business and grow it, the people at the top actually making moves, not simply living out an eat, shit, Netflix, 9 to 5 existence, are a very small group of people.

The fact that you care about "looking awkward" shows how much you still need to grow as a man, and it's also why you're so susceptible to the marketing of the tobacco companies, you don't know who you are yet, and they are selling you a pre-made identity, a "masculine bad boy," for a couple of bucks a month and some possible health risks which you don't even pay for immediately, you can defer that cost. It's a good sell, creating an identity through adversity and success is far, far, far more difficult and far more costly than simply buying a pack of cigarettes.

You're aware of them, but it's like the person that takes out student loans, they can get the benefits immediately, and the costs won't come due for years, so you keep taking out more and more.

More like you firmly believe in the tobacco companies' marketing, but you've got enough doubts to make this post.

That's neither here nor there.

Whether it's sound or not depends on how much of the tobacco companies' marketing you've internalized and how addicted you are.

If you've internalized it 100% and you're addicted, it will be the most sound decision you've ever made.

If you haven't internalized it and aren't addicted, the entire habit is nasty, unhealthy, and an indicator of a person with a lower level of self-development.

You've made some good points and it's a firm but quality reply.

However, i do disagree with you being quick in jumping to the conclusion that I am addicted.

According to your logic, any pro-tendency towards a subject would imply an addiction towards it and would render any meaningful discussion towards it baseless.

We all have our curiosities and a willingness to find more about them doesn't always imply addiction. That way, 90% of the people here can be classified as being addicted sex and hedonism in general but we know that's clearly not the case.

A bit of an open mind is needed to see the bigger picture.

Also, I disagree a bit on your point about smokers being low quality. What exactly is your definition of low quality? Seems like you are judging someones quality by how ambitious they are. Ambition may not always signify a higher quality. A person's qulaity is a very subjective topic and someone who is happy watching Netflix and just enjoying life, in my my opinion, can easily be of a higher quality than someone who is obsessively into self-improvement and is highly ambitious but not happy with life.

Light smoking definitely has benefits. But I consider light smoking more like 3-5 ciggs a week, rather than per day.

I hope vaping for cigarettes and weed becomes mainstream. This eliminates a lot of the negatives.

I smoke too. Ive never seen someone making a list for benefits of smoking. Everybody wants to quit if they can.

Most people agree its so nice with drinks and when hanging out with friends. (Also after meal and while taking a shit)
But thats what makes you get addicted and keep smoking daily basis. You will see the health effect later on (hard to wake up, less erection etc)

I cant judge you for smoking but you cant go out there and say 'hey! Smoking is so cooool yada yada'

Quote: (07-01-2017 03:18 PM)testos111 Wrote:  

Also, I disagree a bit on your point about smokers being low quality. What exactly is your definition of low quality? Seems like you are judging someones quality by how ambitious they are. Ambition may not always signify a higher quality. A person's qulaity is a very subjective topic and someone who is happy watching Netflix and just enjoying life, in my my opinion, can easily be of a higher quality than someone who is obsessively into self-improvement and is highly ambitious but not happy with life.

Sucking at life.

In any way you want to define it, financial, happiness, health, quality friendships, etc.

Smokers suck at life harder than non-smokers.

Statistically, that is, I'm not saying you suck at life.

Look man, we all have an empty space inside of us that needs to be filled in order for us to be complete. Some people fill it with alcohol abuse, drug abuse, political activism, spectator sports, promiscuity, etc. These are all things that basically give a very low, or in some cases negative, ROI. It's unfortunate that the common man, in most cases, doesn't realize this at all, or does so, but so late in life that his entire life was poorer than it would have been had he been more self aware. That said, I'm not judging, I understand that life isn't fair, some people aren't born into a wonderful family that lifts them up and who they aspire to always lift up as well. Some folks don't even have a brother or a sister, for example. So, given that we all start from different points, we all do what we can based on our experiences to fill that empty space. Unfortunately, this sometimes leads us down a nihilistic path.

In any case, some people fill this space with investing in their family, investing in themselves, investing in their businesses, and other positive ROI endeavors.

Let's say you aren't addicted yet, for the sake of argument. My advice, because that's what you're asking for, is to be aware that your time is finite, and puffing away has a negative ROI, even if you don't see it immediately. I would advise you to start spending your finite time on things with an exponentially positive ROI, like starting businesses, helping your family, if you're lucky enough to have a good family and to have them still with you, and investing in yourself.

Spending your time on an activity that is going to be a drain on your paycheck, put you around lower quality people, throw your body off balance, at the very least, and give you a serious illness down the road, at worst, is not ideal.

That's my two cents, man.

Quote: (07-01-2017 03:22 PM)zoom Wrote:  

Light smoking definitely has benefits. But I consider light smoking more like 3-5 ciggs a week, rather than per day.

Yeah, you would think this would be closer to zero ROI or only slightly negative ROI.

3-5 a day...that's got to have a negative ROI.

I'm not a doctor, though.

The way I see it, if you put something round in your mouth just for fun, you're different than me.

You're imagining any benefit. There are none.

You're addicted.

I'm the King of Beijing!

I was never really a full fledged smoker. Maybe now I'll have one cigarette every other day.

There is a camaraderie amongst smokers that is real. Its a fantastic bonding tool with the ladies.

When I was in the US Navy spreading democracy I was on a ship that seemed to be filled with healthy seamen. Except for the captain. He was a shit kicking smoking old man. I just hung out with him all night in the middle of the ocean smoking and talking. It got me promoted.

My dads death, however, was 100 percent caused by smoking. The doctors weren't on anti-smoking or big tobaccos payroll and lying to me. They pulled fluids out of him that smelled like cigarettes.

The rest is up to you.

Aloha!

If you find smoking cigarettes pleasurable, youre addicted.

Unless youre used to cigarette smoke, in the way only an addict can be, the response to smoking will be feeling like utter shit.

I'm quitting tobacco. There are no real benefits unless you want to approach a girl by either asking for a cigarrette or approaching in that scenario. Besides that, it demands more will and strenght to not smoke than finishing half a pack everyday, that's beta. I'm up for quitting smoking!

Quote: (07-01-2017 08:40 PM)lonewolf1992 Wrote:  

I'm quitting tobacco. There are no real benefits unless you want to approach a girl by either asking for a cigarrette or approaching in that scenario. Besides that, it demands more will and strenght to not smoke than finishing half a pack everyday, that's beta. I'm up for not smoking!

Where is G Manifesto when you need him. Oh well, I'll do my best impression:

Cigs are a must for a G. There's nothing like sparking up a smooth cig with a Zippo lighter while rolling solo dolo in a custom fitted suit swooping fly French girls in Cannes. All you wheesh guys worrying about cigarettes when the real problem is Deep Soy. Few understand this...

I'm a former smoker.

I started on Marlboro Reds (grandpa's choice). Then switched to their lights. Dated a girl who smoked camels and got those.

I can concur. Smoking makes me chatty. It rises my level of mental clarity.

When i'm under stress but require extended periods of being 100% on focus (like being around my sister in law - fuck her) smoking allows me to extend my ability to remain focused. This comes with a double edged sword of becoming mentally fried. Always a cost.

I stopped smoking when I started working out. Even one cigarette makes the next gym day near impossible. I'll sometimes give someone a quarter for a cigarette if i'm out drinking.

Vaping of course does away with all of the negatives of smoking, leaving nicotine which is really just a chemical on the same level of psychotropic effects as caffeine.

I can pick up and put down cigarettes without issue. I immensely enjoy a smoking, but like I said it has downsides which outweigh the positives. I don't understand why people say quitting is difficult. I put it down for months on end before I may smoke again (when I go out to bars to drink).

3-5 cigarettes a day is what I used to smoke daily and what i'd call a regular habit. I couldn't stomach any more after that.

A casual smoker is someone who smokes once or twice a week.

I actually think cigs can be a game booster. But like another poster said earlier, light smoking would be like 3-5 cigarettes OVER THE COURSE OF A WEEK, not every damn day. In fact limit those cigarettes to Friday/Saturday night.

I did that for a long time and still do and it helps my solo dolo game because it's just a natural way to be more social and helps with approaching more smoothly. Also I do indeed like smoking but when I feel myself starting to smoke Monday-Thursday I quit cold turkey for a week or two. Like alcohol, cigarettes are only for a weekend out. Not just for fuckin around.

And yeah it might be bad but fuck it.

The disadvantages and health problem far outweigh the positive sides of it. By VERY far. Let me tell you something from a non-smoker's point of view.

Quote:Quote:

It's all in your head. Purely psychological. How about "going to see a girl when I'm finished"? If you need cancer sticks to motivate yourself to complete a task, you need help. Just reward yourself with anything else - for example, a treat.

You can still go out and hang out with people without smoking, even if they do. If you're doing it for "acceptance", remember that people who will not be your friends because you don't smoke aren't the kind of people you should be wanting in your life.

In a smoker's head, perhaps. but from my point of view (no offense), no matter how "chic" you try to look, smoking will always look retarded, and people who look at you are looking at you because they wonder where that filthy stench came from. Bad boys want to look cool, real men want to look high status, and get better girls.

That, my friend, is called "addiction". The chemicals in your ciggies alter your brain to think this way - and that's the purpose of it, otherwise how would the tobacco companies make billions of dollars and buy a 100th yacht for their owners?

How about taking human relationship classes? I took those classes a few years ago and it helped me a lot with my social interactions. And BTW, on a professional lever, if someone smokes, they're automatically reduced to "low status" and I won't be as open to talk to them about business.

It doesn't look ankward in your head. Every single smoker I've seen looked stupid: standing outside sucking on their cancer stick to satisfy their addiction. That's basically what it is. Smoking looks retarded, and there are other ways you can alleviate your boredom. Start a project, pick up a hobby, etc.

Unspoken because there are none.
A better idea could've been comparing fapping and smoking.Three times a day, light, sure.
You're giving in to a sad pleasure. Get cancer.

Can this be considered as talking down to members? Am I risking a ban?
Quote:Darkwing Buck Wrote:

yeah it might be bad but fuck it.

Just going to drop this here.

Vape / Vapers Lounge

Do yourself a favour and pack in the cancer sticks.

“It is far better for a man to go wrong in freedom than to go right in chains.” Thomas Henry Huxley

The Drum & Bass Music Thread
The Dubstep Music Thread

I'm not a smoker, but I'll have to assume that everyone lecturing OP doesn't drink alcohol or eat processed foods (particularly those with high sugar contents).

The public will judge a man by what he lifts, but those close to him will judge him by what he carries.

It's a habit hard to get rid of - especially when combined with drinking/partying. Men smoke because they think its makes 'em look manly, women smoke because the think it helps losing weight. But it is nothing but a buffer. A total rip-off. There are no benefits.

http://www.nkytribune.com/2017/06/smarth...gnificant/

https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2017/04/406606...lcohol-pot

Smokers stink. And it's not the smell of adventure and happiness. They just don't realize it, cause they're used to it. It destroys your sense of taste. Your skin looks different. Yellow fingers and fingernails. Stinky breath. Take a look at the inside of your incisors or ask your dentist. It's expensive. The "taste" is a joke.

I used to smoke for over a decade. Imo 3-5 Cigs a day is an addiction, but who cares?
It's OPs life. Since I stopped smoking Cigs (and stopped smoking weed) my life is better. It's like ol' Jeff Sessions said: "Good people don't smoke (Marijuana)".

That's not a light smoker. Like someone said a light smoker would do that in a week or month. Now I'm a super light smoker. Anywhere from 4-6 cigars a year. Cigars are better anyway.

Quote: (07-02-2017 04:46 AM)Leonard D Neubache Wrote:  

I'm not a smoker, but I'll have to assume that everyone lecturing OP doesn't drink alcohol or eat processed foods (particularly those with high sugar contents).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tu_quoque