rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Anti-Aging Datasheet: How To Look Younger Than Your Real Age

Introduction

Over the past several years, people have commented at how I look younger than my age. This commenting has really amped up since I passed 33-34 years of age. I’m almost 37, but could pass for 27-32. Those of you who have met me in real life can attest to that.

There are even some people who have met me when I was 22-25 have seen me again in 2015-16, and the most common thing they say is “you look the same.”

So I wanted to share some of the things that I do to slow the aging process, and will try to quote some articles to back it up. I must admit that I haven’t been doing all this consciously with the express purpose of anti-aging, it was just some things I’ve done all my life.

Plus I was lucky to be raised by a good mom who knew a lot of unique home remedies for sickness, how to pick healthiest foods from the store, what seasoning to mix with food, and made me take my vitamins every morning before school. She’s now in her sixties, but people have mistaken her as my sister instead of my mother!

But over the past few years, I’ve become more aware of anti-aging methods and even much more so when I wrote a book about low testosterone and TRT.

Anyway, here it is...

Your Skin

The main component of your age, as you appear to other people, is your skin. Not coincidentally, your skin is the largest organ of your body. To look young, your skin is the first priority.

Take care of your skin, and you subtract years off your apparent age. Then you won’t ever need to use botox or any of that toxic shit.

I’m not going to recommend a magic skin cream or skin care product here, because there aren’t any that really stands out from the thousands of products out there. At best, they can make your skin look good but only temporary. At worst, they clog your pores and cause allergic reactions.

The number one thing that impacts your skin is the climate you live in, particularly during your younger years. It makes sense because your skin is always exposed to the temperature, humidity, and quality of the air in the place you spend your time in.

The worst possible climate for your skin is dry and polluted. The low relative humidity dries out your skin, making it look pruny and leathery over time. Pollution is bad because your skin absorbs the airborne toxins over time. Some toxins go into your bloodstream, which the liver detoxifies, but others build up in your skin over time, speeding up the aging process.

Back to what’s good for the skin -- you want to live in a humid climate with clean air. At the same time, you want to limit your sun exposure to 30 minutes or less per day, on average. Too much sun, no matter the temperature or humidity, will damage your skin. Sunscreen is not good for your skin either (some brands give me eczema, so I use zinc oxide-based sunblock only when necessary, like at the pool or beach).

Humidity is great for your skin as it keeps your skin soft and moist. Relative humidity should be at least 50% or higher throughout most of, if not the entire day.

Clean air? Self-explanatory. Unfortunately, most humid climates are hot as hell in the summers. It sucks when you step out the door and you’re immediately dripping with sweat. But it really does wonders for your skin. In fact, your sweat keeps your skin moist. The salt and electrolytes within your sweat get reabsorbed into your skin cells, keeping them healthy.

I’ve lived in a humid climate all my life. East Coast USA, Texas (yes even Texas is humid), and now I’m in Thailand. Every time I visit a much drier climate like Arizona or California, where the relative humidity stays under 20%, my skin gets very dry and itchy.

There is indeed one thing you can apply onto your skin to make it look younger, but we’ll get back to that after I talk about hair.

Graying Hair

Another factor in your apparent age, as you appear to others, is your hair -- or more accurately, the presence of any white or gray hair.

There is no set age when hair turns white. Some people start getting gray hair in their 20s, others hold off well into their 50s. Most are somewhere in between. It’s different for everyone because it is primarily genetic. You can’t stop it, but you can delay it.

Graying hair is the result of your hair getting less pigment, or melanin. When we are born, our melanin stores (or cells called melanocytes) are topped out for each hair follicle, giving our hair its color.

As we get older (and unhealthier), our melanocyte function decreases within each follicle. Some follicles run out of melanin before others, giving some of our hairs a white or gray appearance. Once a hair loses pigment and goes white, there isn’t a way to reverse it.

However, there are several things you can do to slow this graying process down, extending the life of the melanin store within your hair follicles.

Coconut Oil and What All The Fuss is About

If there is anything on this planet that is close to being a magic potion for anti-aging, it is Coconut Oil.

Full disclosure: I’m not affiliated with any business selling coconut oil, nor am I making a dime from espousing the benefits of coconut oil here.

I use it myself, though not everyday as I should. It has been magical for my hair and skin. It’s also good for the teeth and for the gut flora.

Here are five ways to use coconut oil to make yourself look younger:

1. Face. Melt a tiny dollop in your hands and rub the oil all over your face, nose, forehead, cheeks, and around the eyes, including the crow’s feet areas. I also rub a few more drops onto my beard. You only need a few drops -- no more than three or four. More than that, you face will just look oily.

The nice thing about coconut oil is it won’t clog your pores like other oils would. It is the most natural oil and it is the most compatible with your skin, which does needsa small amount of oil to retain its moisture and stay healthy.

2. Hair. Rub a small dollop into your hair and massage your scalp. Again, no more than 3-5 drops worth, or your hair will look oily. Using coconut oil on your hair daily helps slow the graying process by keeping your follicles healthy.

3. Cooking with coconut oil is the single most healthy adjustment you can make to your diet. Throw out all the other oils -- canola, sunflower, vegetable, and even olive oil. Cooking with these oils on high heat will break down long chain fatty acids into free radicals, which actually speed up aging.

Coconut oil is different because it is 100% saturated fat, which means its long chain fatty acids cannot be broken down by high heat. Unsaturated fatty acids (including mono- and polyunsaturated) can be broken down by heat. Not good.

4. Teeth pulling with coconut oil is another way to keep your teeth healthy. There is already a thread on this by Roosh, and coconut oil is the best oil for this. Simply take a spoonful and swish it in your mouth for 5-15 minutes. When you’re done, don’t swallow! Spit it out.

The benefits of teeth pulling with coconut oil is it removes toxins from your mouth, helps whiten your teeth, and kills harmful bacteria.

5. Gut flora. Swallowing one spoonful a day helps your digestion and improves your gut flora as coconut oil has anti-bacterial and antifungal properties.

How to Buy: You have to be careful what brands of coconut oil you buy from the store. This is very important. It must be cold pressed extra virgin. At room temperature, it should be solid, white, and opaque.

If it’s clear and liquid-y at room temperature, don’t buy it! These are “fractionated” oils. Fractionated coconut oil is coconut oil but with the long-chain fatty acids removed via hydrolysis and steam distillation. For our purposes, do not use that kind. My mom tried to use it on her skin and it caused an allergic reaction. I told her to switch to the cold pressed kind, and she had no reaction whatsoever. She now uses it every day.

The right kinds should be very easy to spot. Just look for solidified and opaque white jars of coconut oil that say “cold pressed”, and you really can’t go wrong.

Water

While we may not need to drink as much water as we’re led to believe by the authorities, it is very important to not get dehydrated at any time. We only need just enough water, and not much more.

It’s much better to take smaller sips throughout the whole day, than to drink an entire jug in one sitting. Drinking a buttload of water all at once throws off your electrolyte balance, and then you still get dehydrated a short time later after sweating and pissing away most of that water.

I’ll have a small glass of water every hour or take a few sips every 15-30 minutes. When it comes to water, I think of myself as a grape. A grape needs just enough water to retain its full and healthy shape. But once it gets short of adequate water, its skin starts to wrinkle. Starve it further of water, it becomes a wrinkly and pruney raisin.

We are mostly bags of water. Premature wrinkling is a sign of dehydration, and wrinkles make you look older. So definitely drink that water if you want to look and feel young. But don’t drink it all in one sitting as to not throw off your electrolyte balance -- a few sips every so often is just enough.

Proper Exercise versus Overtraining

I used to do tons of cardio and believed that was the healthiest way to exercise and stay in shape. I used to be a cross-country runner and a bike racer.

Now I believe that one can do too much cardio, and it is much easier to cross that line than many people think.

For us men, our focus should, not surprisingly, be weight training and lifting. A little cardio a few times a week is good. I won’t get into a debate about this, but a few high intensity bursts do much more for your metabolism and energy level than hours and hours of marathon biking and running.

We’ve all seen marathon runners who look 20 years older than their actual age. We’ve all heard about the seemingly healthy triathlete who suddenly drops dead of a heart attack in the middle of a race.

None of this is a coincidence.

Marathon training and long endurance cardio sessions do much more damage to our bodies than is purported in the media or fitness articles. Beyond the optimal amount of cardio, too much of it stresses your adrenals, disrupts the endocrine system, releases free radicals causing oxidative stress and promotes inflammation that speeds up aging.

There are many ways to exercise properly and everyone is different, so I won’t outline a one-size-fits-all exercise regimen here. But to prevent overtraining, keep training volume under control and look into split training (doing different exercises each day to prevent overuse or repetitive injuries on muscles and joints).

Watch for tell tale signs of overtraining like insomnia, irritability, elevated resting heart rate, vulnerability to infections, etc... and back off until you’re getting at least 7-8 hours of quality sleep a night.

Nutrition

As cliche as it sounds, you are what you eat. Bad diets can’t overcome anything else you do to delay aging. You might get away with a bad diet in your 20s. However, once you reach 30 you’ll want to be more careful what you eat if you want to look and stay young -- and keep slaying younger chicks.

Eat more of:

- Poultry (no hormones, no antibiotics)
- Beef (grass fed)
- Eggs
- Salmon (make sure it is wild caught)
- Green leafy vegetables like spinach
- Tuna
- Shellfish (check their source and water quality)
- Some nuts
- Some fruits

Avoid:

- Coffee
- Alcohol
- Cigarettes
- Starchy foods like potatoes and bread
- Processed meat
- Anything with added sugar

Yes, we already know all of the above. But I feel everyone makes nutrition way more complicated than it needs to be. Unfortunately, food processing companies like Monsanto has the agricultural industry in a chokehold, making it hard to eat healthy in the West. To conclude this section, I will just leave this documentary here and let you form your own opinion: Food, Inc.

Other Helpful Tips

- Get quality sleep of at least 7-8 hours a night. Buy a comfortable mattress and pillow if you need it.
- Do what you can to reduce stress from work and family.
- Don’t sit more than 5 hours per day. Less than 3 is even better.
- Laugh more.
- I know I said to avoid alcohol, but it’s okay to have a drink every now and then if it helps reduce tension and lubricate social relationships.
- Get rid of toxic people in your life who try to drag you down with them. Especially toxic chicks!

TL;DR Summary

- Take utmost care of your skin
- Use coconut oil for skin, hair, teeth pulling, cooking, and eat one spoonful a day
- Drink just enough water, neither too much nor too little
- Eat clean
- Don’t overdo cardio
- Do whatever it takes to get enough sleep
- Don’t sit too much

Sources

http://gaizupath.com/what-causes-white-hair/
http://www.completehumanperformance.com/...ve-stress/
https://authoritynutrition.com/how-much-...k-per-day/
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/fawnia33.htm

I can co-sign most of this. I am turning 40, people routinely think I am mid 20s, though I am a fitness instructor. I never tried coconut oil, probably never will but if it works for you, go ahead.

Instead of saying "avoid the sun", I will say to put on sunscreen any time you go outside, especially to your face and neck. If you are in the sun all day, reapply.

Get plenty of sleep, I can't sleep more than 6 or 7 hours a night, some say get at least 8. I just don't sleep that much.

I only touch weights 3 times a week, I like cardio and yoga/pilates. Find what you like and stick with it, but it is a good idea to mix things up. Good data sheet, would plus 1 you if I hadn't already.

Quote: (08-19-2016 07:29 AM)CleanSlate Wrote:  

1. Face. Melt a tiny dollop in your hands and rub the oil all over your face, nose, forehead, cheeks, and around the eyes, including the crow’s feet areas. I also rub a few more drops onto my beard. You only need a few drops -- no more than three or four. More than that, you face will just look oily.

What time of day/night should one apply coconut oil to the face? Before falling asleep at night? How many times daily?

2. Hair. Rub a small dollop into your hair and massage your scalp. Again, no more than 3-5 drops worth, or your hair will look oily. Using coconut oil on your hair daily helps slow the graying process by keeping your follicles healthy.

How many times daily? What time during the day?
Do you use baking soda in your hair? I've noticed that baking soda has the same effect - it makes my hair look shiny and oily (in a good way).
It's also turned my hair quite blonde if I go out regularly into the sun. We'll see what happens in the winter, when the sun goes into hiding.

4. Teeth pulling with coconut oil is another way to keep your teeth healthy. There is already a thread on this by Roosh, and coconut oil is the best oil for this. Simply take a spoonful and swish it in your mouth for 5-15 minutes. When you’re done, don’t swallow! Spit it out.

How often?

How to Buy: You have to be careful what brands of coconut oil you buy from the store. This is very important. It must be cold pressed extra virgin. At room temperature, it should be solid, white, and opaque.

If it’s clear and liquid-y at room temperature, don’t buy it! These are “fractionated” oils. Fractionated coconut oil is coconut oil but with the long-chain fatty acids removed via hydrolysis and steam distillation. For our purposes, do not use that kind. My mom tried to use it on her skin and it caused an allergic reaction. I told her to switch to the cold pressed kind, and she had no reaction whatsoever. She now uses it every day.

The right kinds should be very easy to spot. Just look for solidified and opaque white jars of coconut oil that say “cold pressed”, and you really can’t go wrong.

Any recommendations?

Other Helpful Tips

- Get quality sleep of at least 7-8 hours a night. Buy a comfortable mattress and pillow if you need it.
- Do what you can to reduce stress from work and family.
- Don’t sit more than 5 hours per day. Less than 3 is even better.
- Laugh more.
- I know I said to avoid alcohol, but it’s okay to have a drink every now and then if it helps reduce tension and lubricate social relationships.
- Get rid of toxic people in your life who try to drag you down with them. Especially toxic chicks!

I'd just add that guys might want to experiment with sleeping on the floor, especially if you have back problems.
I started sleeping on the floor weeknights (five nights per week) and a lot of my back pain has gone away. I place a sheet on the hard surface, lie down on the sheet and pillow, and put my blanket on top. My back feels a lot better in the morning. I have a bad back, though, and my posture has historically been poor. I don't know if I would get the same benefits out of a special mattress designed for back issues - maybe.

Regarding reduced stress - definitely. To fix my back issues, I focused on two things: sleeping on the floor, and reducing my stress. A doctor told me that stress goes directly to the lower back. So, reduce your stress and you should be able to help with any lower back pain.

Great datasheet!!

Regarding sunscreen -- just to clarify, I didn't mean to imply that you shouldn't use sunscreen. If you'll be out in the sun, definitely use sunscreen and reapply every couple of hours. It's just that some sunscreens are actually not healthy for the skin.

Here are some active ingredients of common sunscreens: oxybenzone, avobenzone, octisalate, octocrylene, homosalate and octinoxate. Pretty strange sounding names, isn't there? I've actually found that oxybenzone is the culprit of itchy skin or eczema whenever I used sunscreen containing that ingredient. So I switched to mineral based sunscreens containing zinc oxide and/or titanium dioxide. Never looked back since.

Also... one point I forgot to include in the OP:

There is an entire industry on anti-aging. Anti-aging clinics, alternative medicine, herbal supplements that promise to reverse aging, etc. While some anti-aging clinics or supplements are outright scams, many are well intentioned and give a lot of good advice, but they need to make money somehow. So they sell supplements that target a specific problem. For example -- they market milk thistle for liver detox, B-complex vitamins for the nervous system, etc...

It's good if you're having a specific problem that you couldn't get rid of on your own, some vitamins or herbal supplements can help in those cases. But it's easy to go down the path of buying a supplement for this problem, another supplement for that other problem, yet another supplement for yet another problem, and so on and so on. Before you know it, you'll have a cabinet full of supplements and shoving 30-40 pills down your throat daily.

Don't fall into that trap... at best, it's a waste of money. At worst, some supplements could actually do more harm than good. Instead, look at food as medicine. Your body, as long as you feed it a balanced diet with whole foods, has amazing healing powers.

Quote: (08-19-2016 12:12 PM)Yeti Wrote:  

What time of day/night should one apply coconut oil to the face? Before falling asleep at night? How many times daily?

Once a day is enough. I don't think it matters what time of day. Personally I do it in the morning after I shower. Then after a few hours, I shower again to get the oil off. I don't use soap on my face, however -- I just use plain old hot water to melt the oil off. Using soap tends to dry out the skin.

How many times daily? What time during the day?
Do you use baking soda in your hair? I've noticed that baking soda has the same effect - it makes my hair look shiny and oily (in a good way).
It's also turned my hair quite blonde if I go out regularly into the sun. We'll see what happens in the winter, when the sun goes into hiding.

Once a day as well. I do it at the same time as I apply oil on my face. I never tried baking soda on my hair, but I do brush my teeth with a baking soda and coconut oil mixture. Now there's another use of coconut oil!

Mix 1/2 coconut oil, melted with 1/2 baking soda until it becomes a paste. Then brush your teeth with it. Better than toothpaste, but be gentle when you brush. Baking soda can be a little abrasive, so don't brush too hard.

Just don't tell your dentist...

How often?

Once a day.

Any recommendations?

I like Nutiva: http://www.iherb.com/nutiva-organic-extr...aAod3HAF4g

And here's another one on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Coconut-Virgin-Pr...B000XJK7UG

If you want to read more on comparing coconut oils, here's a good article that goes into more detail: http://cassandmerlune.com/blog/2013/7/25...superfoods

Damn Slate, back at it again with the great data sheets !

Upside for me is I'm stuck in a building almost 7 days a week, I have blackout curtains in my room.

Downside is I'm at a desk M-F I try and get out of it to stretch of course.

I do get sun from time to time.

When riding my Harley I use a full face helmet with an internal polarized lens.

I should also mention having a beard helps out quite a bit for your face. You aren't causing stress by shaving and introducing chemicals from shaving creams, balms, etc.

Also a beard protects your skin from the elements as well.

I'm basically 30 and I always get guessed in my mid twenties.

Also using the abrasion electronic brushes to remove old skin off your face makes me feel refreshed - along with blackhead strippers for your nose.

I'm definitely fucked when it comes to grey hairs, I get grey hairs on my sides, not the top.

I just dye my hair (I know, chemicals) but it makes me look younger. I lost that grey race in my early 20's.

I also avoid using shampoo/conditioner as much as possible, when I do I use a non sulfur tea tree based one.

My sleep is shitty, I have bags under my eyes - I don't get to bed until about midnight and wake up about 6:45 - 7am.

Thing is, I've always slept late and rose early, since I was a kid, maybe I'm just wire that way.

I REALLY need to work on this, especially as I get older, besides looking rested and better in the morning, sleeping also helps with muscle recovery.

As far as diet, I try to drink about a gallon of water throughout the day. I typically eat chicken and broccoli on the daily along with egg whites.

I don't eat shitty fast food, maybe In N' Out once in awhile.

No soda, I don't drink much beer anymore, vodka with water, and no coffee.

The occasional energy drink (as in once a month or less).

I stay away from carbs unless it's the meal before a workout. I don't do cardio at all, I probably should add SOME cardio to get the blood flowing.

I do binge drink from time to time, occasionally do blow for special occasions. (I don't use any other drugs) I probably do need to cut down on that but I have a pretty active social/dating life.

What do you guys think about sauna's and steam rooms ?

What about Tea Tree oil ?

I know we have a NoPoo (No Shampoo) thread, how many have benefited from that ?

Quote: (08-19-2016 12:52 PM)kaotic Wrote:  

Upside for me is I'm stuck in a building almost 7 days a week, I have blackout curtains in my room.

I should also mention having a beard helps out quite a bit for your face. You aren't causing stress by shaving and introducing chemicals from shaving creams, balms, etc.

Also using the abrasion electronic brushes to remove old skin off your face makes me feel refreshed - along with blackhead strippers for your nose.

I'm definitely fucked when it comes to grey hairs, I get grey hairs on my sides, not the top.

I just dye my hair (I know, chemicals) but it makes me look younger. I lost that grey race in my early 20's.

I also avoid using shampoo/conditioner as much as possible, when I do I use a non sulfur tea tree based one.

My sleep is shitty, I have bags under my eyes - I don't get to bed until about midnight and wake up about 6:45 - 7am.

Thing is, I've always slept late and rose early, since I was a kid, maybe I'm just wire that way.

I REALLY need to work on this, especially as I get older, besides looking rested and better in the morning, sleeping also helps with muscle recovery.

As far as diet, I try to drink about a gallon of water throughout the day. I typically eat chicken and broccoli on the daily along with egg whites.

I stay away from carbs unless it's the meal before a workout. I don't do cardio at all, I probably should add SOME cardio to get the blood flowing.

I do binge drink from time to time, occasionally do blow for special occasions. (I don't use any other drugs) I probably do need to cut down on that but I have a pretty active social/dating life.

The no shampoo thread cracks me up, I like that someone on there said "yeah, I no longer use toilet paper to wipe my ass, that is for faggots"

The "avoiding carbs", sure avoid simple sugars(added to soda pop, iced teas, other drinks and foods), but the complex carbs in rice are great.

As for using tea tree oil, I assume you mean for your face? It is very strong, I'd suggest diluting it before using it. Same as apple cider vinegar.

And yes, do more cardio.

Complex carbs yes, usually only if I'm working out that day.

Tea Tree oil is great for your scalp as well (I had some pretty bad dandruff which comes back from time to time)

ACV is great, I need to get some more, use to have a shot every morning.

Great data sheet. will start implementing this stuff today. A lot of it was stuff I knew and got out of the habit of doing.

This is kind of a dumb question but would any of this stuff help to reverse aging at all?

Sauna and steam room's are great but cold therapy is even better. There's no life-changing health benefits to either of these, but if you can systematically implement them then that's another small win that adds up.

I'm on team minimal shampoo. I think it's fantastic and I'm never going back to shampooing every day. If you gel/spike/manipulate your hair then the natural oils from not shampooing will facilitate that. Of course after ~1 week your hair gets too greasy and then I use a nickel-size portion of shampoo to reset.

I think it should be mentioned that collagen hydrolysate (great lakes brand) is a fantastic supplement for skin/joint health. It's been approved by many RVF members already in other threads.

Quote: (08-19-2016 02:50 PM)Balkan Wrote:  

I think it should be mentioned that collagen hydrolysate (great lakes brand) is a fantastic supplement for skin/joint health. It's been approved by many RVF members already in other threads.

While we're on the subject, taking Fish Oil and Zinc also, especially if you lift.

Can someone explain why alcohol is bad for aging? I binge drink once or twice a week, but also drink A LOT of water to prevent it from drying me out to much. Is there any other way it affects you long term, other than obviously looking like shit the next day?

Sometimes I even think I look better after a night on the booze because the stress has been completely lifted for a while.

Yeah the alcohol dehydrates you, the damage it does to liver and heart disease are considerable in the long run. Alcohol is a depressant. Being depressed makes you look older.

If you have one drink and stop at one, then you are gold.

Join team one drink

here is a thread on alcohol and rapid aging
thread-29245.html

Just realized this entire thread is a dupe
thread-30835.html

Quote:CleanSlate Wrote:

Proper Exercise versus Overtraining

I used to do tons of cardio and believed that was the healthiest way to exercise and stay in shape. I used to be a cross-country runner and a bike racer.

Now I believe that one can do too much cardio, and it is much easier to cross that line than many people think.

For us men, our focus should, not surprisingly, be weight training and lifting. A little cardio a few times a week is good. I won’t get into a debate about this, but a few high intensity bursts do much more for your metabolism and energy level than hours and hours of marathon biking and running.

We’ve all seen marathon runners who look 20 years older than their actual age. We’ve all heard about the seemingly healthy triathlete who suddenly drops dead of a heart attack in the middle of a race.

None of this is a coincidence.

Marathon training and long endurance cardio sessions do much more damage to our bodies than is purported in the media or fitness articles. Beyond the optimal amount of cardio, too much of it stresses your adrenals, disrupts the endocrine system, releases free radicals causing oxidative stress and promotes inflammation that speeds up aging.

There are many ways to exercise properly and everyone is different, so I won’t outline a one-size-fits-all exercise regimen here. But to prevent overtraining, keep training volume under control and look into split training (doing different exercises each day to prevent overuse or repetitive injuries on muscles and joints).

Watch for tell tale signs of overtraining like insomnia, irritability, elevated resting heart rate, vulnerability to infections, etc... and back off until you’re getting at least 7-8 hours of quality sleep a night.

Hope you don't mind me adding some thoughts to the above paragraph.

Brett Osborn (neurosurgeon, anti-aging specialist and strength training coach) has a great workout routine in his book Get Serious. He's been using it for 30 years with great results. It's based on the things espoused in your datasheet and the quoted paragraph in particular.

Quick summary:

2 week schedule

Week 1

Monday
Strength
Bench Press 5x5
Deadlift 3x8
+ 2 complementary exercises for deadlift (ie. seated rows, lumbar extensions etc)

Tuesday
Steady State Endurance (Cardio)
30 minutes (no more!) of your chosen cardio exercise (running, rowing, biking etc) at 70% of your max heart rate. This efficient cardio work does not damage the body, yet it has cardiovascular benefits.

Wednesday
Strength-Endurance
30 minute time limit of Crossfit-like exercises. Example:
250 meter rowing sprint, 135x10 deadlift, 8x chinups, 250 m rowing sprint, rest 3 minutes. Repeat 3 times.

Thursday
Steady State Endurance

Friday
Strength
Squat 5x5
Overhead barbell press 3x8
+ 2 complementary exercises for overhead barbell press (ie lateral raises, pushdowns)

Week 2
Week 2 is identical to week 1 except Monday and Friday where you perform different compound lifts.

Monday
Strength
Deadlift 5x5
Bench Press 3x8
+ 2 complementary exercises for bench press

Friday
Strength
Overhead barbell press 5x5
Squat 3x8
+ 2 complememtary exercises for squat

Weekends are COMPLETELY OFF. This is where you de-load, rest and eat.

As you can see, it's based around maximizing strength and hypertrophy with efficient cardio work and HIIT to keep your heart and blood vessels in shape. Spreading out big compound lifts over 2 weeks ensures adequate recovery for the fast-twitch muscle fibers trained during the 5x5 lifts.

Strength training traumatizes your muscles, causing acute inflammation which results in eventual hypertrophy as the muscle is forced to adapt. Our bodies are made to handle this kind of trauma, with adequate rest and nutrition. Muscles are also sources for antibodies, which is important for fighting inflammation. There are studies that show that muscular individuals handle life-threatening disease and injury significantly better than adipose or thin individuals.

Marathon training OTH makes the body enter an almost chronic state of inflammation, which is one of the reasons endurance runners look older than their years. Our bodies have a much harder time dealing with the stress associated with this type of endurance training.

Great datasheet. Repped.

thoughtgypsy sent this via PM, and I have his permission to address his questions and comments here on this thread.

Quote:thoughtgypsy Wrote:

Nice info. I had a few questions and comments

Quote:Quote:

I've only bought cold pressed coconut oil and it becomes liquid during the summer months. I read it's normal for coconut oil to solidify when the temperature drops below 76F and liquify when it goes above that.

I was wondering why you recommend avoiding coffee? It's loaded with polyphenols and seems to be good for health. I can see if you meant not drinking anymore than 2/day, but I don't see how having one or two a day would be bad for health?

Another couple things related to anti aging seem to be fasting and avoiding metals. Calorie restriction is shown to slow the effects of aging and lengthen lifespan, and can be achieved through occasional intermittent fasting. Excessive metal loads seem to be related to alzheimers, and general aging. One belief is that because men do not get periods, they're unable to clear metal buildup from their bodies as women do, which causes the difference in average lifespan.

Best ways to avoid metals are to not use consumer anti perspirants, and to eat more foods that bind to and clear metallic particles from the body. These would be foods like chocolate, coffee, cocoa powder, and any phytate containing food. Phytate/phytic acid (such as in beans) is also sometimes considered an anti-nutrient, clearing needed minerals like zinc and magnesium, so if you're taking those I'd wait until after eating those foods.

One of the blogs I follow on anti-aging is roguehealthandfitness. It has some pretty good info: http://roguehealthandfitness.com/

Yes, cold pressed coconut oil melts at just a few degrees above room temperature... around 75-76 degrees F. I forgot to mention this because most grocery stores are cooler than room temp so 99% of the time, your cold pressed coconut oil will be in a solidified state on the shelf. But yes, TG is right -- just warm it up a wee bit, it will melt into a clear liquid.

If you're not sure about your bottle of coconut oil and it's a tad warm, put it in the fridge for 15 minutes and see if it becomes opaque and solid. If it doesn't, it is fractionated... otherwise, you're ok.

Regarding coffee... I might have been a little extreme in saying "avoid" coffee. I do drink coffee a few times a week. I don't think one cup every now and then hurts you any, and might even benefit you. But it is a diuretic and it contains caffeine, and a coffee habit might mess with your energy levels and sleep. For that reason, I approach coffee with a little caution. But there's really no need to be paranoid about coffee... if you like coffee, go ahead and have a cup. Just have one in the morning and that's enough.

And a word about decaf... don't think that you're better off with decaf because the process that strips coffee of its caffeine uses chemicals, leaving chemical residue within decaffeinated coffee. Those chemicals used in the decaffeination process still remains within your coffee and does more harm to your body than caffeine would.

Good information about metals and stuff -- thanks for adding that, TG.

This thread is about looks, and this post is about looking young and the longevity of staying young, through fitness.

I'm 41, and I used to bicycle race as well. I did a ton of long slow distance in the past, and then swung over to the extreme of heavy HITT training in the last 10 years, with lots of certifications to be a trainer, even though I did it for personal study, and not to earn money.

At this age, I have come to find the jump rope as the ultimate tool for overall fitness conditioning. I work a lot, travel a lot, and generally like to relax after working. A 30-45 min jump work workout will give me everything I need, and prepare me to do anything physical I want to do outside of the gym.

Jump roping regularly makes it easy to maintain a base level of aerobic/anaerobic fitness, in a fairly short amount of time, with minimal risk to injury. The benefits are too numerous to list, but for me, if I am regularly doing jump rope work, I can jump into a 5K or a 10K and run a respectable time. For me thats -25 minute 5K. Im not a runner, so its not the only benefit.

The other major benefits I see, is that regularly jump roping keeps your lower legs, feet, ankles and knees strong. Most of the injuries from running involve the feet, ankles, knees and the ever dreaded, and all too common achilles tear. I have known far too many younger men with torn achilles tendons. I think its because most people have weak lower legs and feet in general, then try and run, then get injured. Jump roping can prevent that, as a supplement to running, or just general physical preparedness. Strong feet are especially important for basketball, soccer, skiing, snowboarding, volleyball, hiking, surfing, etc.

These are the ropes I love to use;
http://www.rxsmartgear.com/Custom_Jump_Rope/

And this is a good place to learn how to jump rope for fitness(no-affiliation)
http://rosstraining.com/blog/

So if you are looking to stay young, act young and look young, jump roping will give you the base to continue to play and enjoy the things you like to do.

I don't have the RVF link but there is a discussion on the Phillip's Visapure that seemed to be favourable to this face brush despite its initial side affects of bringing toxins to the faces's surface.

Great post CS.

I would add "Plenty of raw sex with young chicks" to the above. Below 21 is optimal.

This keeps you young both physically and mentally!

PM me for accommodation options in Bangkok.

Anti-Aging is one of my favorite topics.

I wrote my own anti-aging data sheet:

"Anti-Aging -- Extend your Gaming Career"

--

I want to highlight a few important areas..

1) Stress. Stress will kill you. It will age you. It will destroy your body. We all need STRESS REDUCTION AND STRESS AVOIDANCE STRATEGIES AND TACTICS!

I like to walk, exercise, play sports, cook, laugh, enjoy nature, explore spiritual perspectives, chase girls, party, etc., to release stress.

2) Anger. Anger will age you from the inside out. Deal with your anger. Release it. Let it go. DO NOT LET IT BUILD UP! Find a healthy way to express and vent your anger. Talk to to trusted people about why you are angry. DO NOT HOLD IT IN AND KEEP IT TO YOURSELF! Get help!

3) "HBMs"-- "Hours BEFORE midnight" -- The sleep we get BEFORE midnight is more important and vital than the sleep we get after midnight. It's the hours before midnight that really restore us and keep us youthful. Go to bed as early as possible to fight aging!

4)Sunscreen. Most sunscreen is made for harsh chemicals. The best sunscreen is to simply stay in the shade/indoors.

Or, use a natural sunscreen like CleanSlate mentioned:

Quote: (08-19-2016 12:23 PM)CleanSlate Wrote:  

some sunscreens are actually not healthy for the skin.

--

I deal with the same problem.

"HBMs" are the answer. They are difficult but they are the answer!

Quote: (08-22-2016 11:29 AM)Giovonny Wrote:  

3) "HBMs"-- "Hours BEFORE midnight" -- The sleep we get BEFORE midnight is more important and vital than the sleep we get after midnight. It's the hours before midnight that really restore us and keep us youthful. Go to bed as early as possible to fight aging!

I deal with the same problem.

"HBMs" are the answer. They are difficult but they are the answer!

I used to face the same issue. My sleep is great now - I fall asleep at 9pm or even 8pm, regularly, on weekdays and usually weekends as well. I wake up at 5am generally or a bit before.
The way that I achieved this was through a bright light therapy box. There's a thread about this. This regularizes and deepens your sleep.
I also committed myself to no Internet at home. I'm not connected at home, and this has made a tremendously positive contribution to my life, most notably in my sleep and stress levels.

Quote: (08-19-2016 02:50 PM)Balkan Wrote:  

+1

I've been talking about collagen for a while, mostly in terms of workout/injury recovery, but there's no doubt that supplementing with the raw material used to make skin itself will delay/reduce wrinkles and help maintain a youthful appearance:

Quote: (10-23-2015 07:06 PM)Isaac Jordan Wrote:  

In addition to the basics (multivitamin, vitamin D, fish oil, juicing, green tea, coconut oil, ACV), the one thing that's made the biggest difference in my life has been collagen:

Quote:Quote:

Gelatin (also known as cooked collagen) is a wonder food with anti-inflammatory and anti-aging qualities, as it helps to fill in the missing amino acids (the building blocks of proteins) in the standard American diet.

The standard American diet tends to be very high in muscle meats (such as beef, chicken, lamb and turkey), which when not balanced by other proteins (such as eggs, fish, dairy, shellfish, organ meats) can contribute to inflammation over time.

Four tablespoons of collagen a day completed eliminated my post-squat knee pain. I've been able to consistently push myself harder in the gym, and it's definitely shortened my recovery time.

There are numerous other benefits to collagen even if you're not a heavy lifter:

-an increased ability to repair connective tissue (bone, tendons, ligaments, cartilage, skin)
-stronger, thicker hair and nails
-promotes rapid cell growth producing synovial fluids to lubricate joints
-slows the skin degradation that leads to wrinkles

My preferred brand is Great Lakes Collagen Hydrolysate, as they derive the product from grass-fed cows, and the hydrolysate treatment process reduces the molecular weight so that the powder dissolves in either hot or cold liquids (i.e. it won't clump up like regular gelatin).

You can buy the product on Amazon by the pound, but it's cheaper to order directly from the manufacturer's website.

People say I look young for my age all the time. It is because I workout and my skin. For my skin since I was a teenager I have been applying acv or lemon juice to it, it's a natural toner. I do half water and half acv or lemon juice.

Quote: (08-22-2016 11:29 AM)Giovonny Wrote:  

I feel like I've been reading conflicting scientific opinions on that over the last several years.
Mostly though it sounds to me that the overwhelming issue with being a "night owl" is that that particular chronotype matches poorly with the lifestyle of most people in our cultures, so even people who don't have to wake up early for work can still have other obligations, family stress etc. that can cause poor sleep or frequent shortage of sleep.

The last roughly ten years (from 29 to 39, but also as often as possible in my younger years) I've most commonly been going to bed between 3 and 5 AM, sleep usually very well 7-9 hours, and barring a rare night of bad sleep never feel that my sleep pattern has a negative effect on my health, my looks or my energy levels.
I've tried many times over the years to change my sleep pattern but unless there are temporary external factors that require me to wake up early (being on vacation and not wanting to waste daylight hours, being in an STR with regular overnight stays, a few weeks with uncharacteristic morning duties etc.) it quickly slips back to what feels natural to me - going to bed very late and waking up around noon.

extra virgin cold pressed coconut oil purchased will try this out

As a resident old fart (about to turn 63) I will ad a few more anti-aging tips:

1. Be engaged with life, always be having new experiences and don't try to dress like a kid but don't dress like dad either. I live in Asia and Asians, especially young Chinese, usually assume I'm mid-40's. I don't look that young but their image of people my age are that they look and act like grandparents.

2. Meditate. As noted in at least one of the comments stress ages you and kills you. It opens the door to a lot of bad things internally and externally. I meditate 2x a day for 20 minutes at a time and it has changed my life. I'm much calmer, more centered, and sleep better. This has had an impact on my aging but more importantly on the overall quality of my life.

3. Everything is cumulative. Changing to some of the healthy habits in this post can help in the short-term but the longer you do them, the more benefits you derive from them.

Let's start collecting data on Exercise, Fitness, Food and other Lifestyle tips around this..

Taiwanese family of Girls seem to defy age & - 50 yr old Singapore ex Male Model looks 20s
thread-64141.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/articl...looks.html

The point of modern propaganda isn't only to misinform or push an agenda. It is to exhaust your critical thinking, to annihilate truth.
- Garry Kasparov | ‏@Kasparov63