rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Berlin vs Hamburg

Berlin vs Hamburg

I know Germany gets a lot hate in this forum and as someone who's been here (West Germany) for last 2 years, I don't differ

For potential new job, I have the option between Hamburg and Berlin. Here's what I've going in my head:

Hamburg
2nd largest city in DE with decent nightlife, almost every German recommends me going there
Found it beautiful and loved the sophisticated vibe
Read in a datasheet height is #1 criteria? I'm 176ish

Berlin
Hate the whole hipster thing and also heard classy girls hate Berlin
Big enough (3.2m) to find my niche(?)
International - the coldness of german girls gets me everytime
Closer to PL but not sure the weekends in Poznan thing is doable to pull quality girls
(Emphasising this point because I've spent time in PL and LT and it's a complete different ball game how easy things are for me in East vs Germany)

About me
Mid twenties, don't speak german perfectly to game, middle eastern/spanish looking but not from there, job that easily puts me top quartile of my peer group, stylish enough that luisaviaroma is my second home page.

What do you guys say? Thanks

Berlin vs Hamburg

I wouldn't recommend Berlin unless your style is "alternative", which it's not, going by your comments.

Berlin has a lot of internationals passing through, but I'm not sure if you want to rely on that in the long term.

I would recommend Hamburg.

Berlin vs Hamburg

If you like big cities, being anonymous, plenty of options for concerts and countless bars, girls coming from all around the world then go to Berlin.

I have been working 6 months in a city which is 2h from Berlin and from Hamburg, was going every weekend to Berlin. Sure the hipster thing is annoying and it looks like all the dirty hobbo looking wannabe artists are coming to Berlin but you can find a decent crowd in some places.

Hamburg (spent there only a weekend) is a beautiful city, more expensive and more conservative but it has some charm, it is not wild as Berlin and many people prefer it because it has less this "think out of the box" attitude which is pushed to the extreme in Berlin. Maybe it fits you better considering your style but I would say that looking middle eastern or even spanish (which is also my case) will be more problematic in Hamburg than in Berlin.

Both cities are among the best options in Germany.

Berlin vs Hamburg

Quote: (07-03-2016 10:30 AM)Lino Wrote:  

I would say that looking middle eastern or even spanish (which is also my case) will be more problematic in Hamburg than in Berlin.

Thanks for hitting the nail, this was a considerable concern

Berlin vs Hamburg

Just back from Berlin but I haven't been to Hamburg. Lots of hot girls in Berlin but it's difficult to get laid. Day game is hard, night time is even more difficult. Nightlife is phenomenal if you're into techno music and drugs, but I found it quite difficult to get laid. I only spent 1.5 weeks in Berlin but I think you'd need several months there to really figure out the culture. For the amount of effort it takes to get laid in Berlin I'd rather go to Estonia or Poland instead. I'd personally rather live in Poland and take weekend trips to Berlin with friends to party and get fucked up. Girls in Berlin are quite hot though if you're into tall white girls with pretty faces. Don't believe anybody who tells you otherwise.

Berlin vs Hamburg

Did you find any good clubs in Hamburg with an amazing trance scene?

Specifically female vocal trance music, slower beat, lots of ecstasy, crowd in mid 20's?

Berlin vs Hamburg

Quote: (07-04-2016 11:47 PM)LINUX Wrote:  

Specifically female vocal trance music, slower beat, lots of ecstasy, crowd in mid 20's?

Berlin is going to be by far a better choice for that type of venue.

Hamburg is more the "money and class" type.

HSLD

Berlin vs Hamburg

You can get laid in Berlin, but you have to understand that behind those hipster alternative personas are semi cold, boring and often shy personalities. I recommend any player in Berlin to at least chat with a girl for 10-30 minutes before getting the number. You'll notice a world of difference. Night game I rarely bothered with because getting a girl to come out with you at night you met during the daytime is an almost guaranteed fuck.

-CD

Berlin vs Hamburg

Quote: (07-05-2016 05:03 PM)HighSpeed_LowDrag Wrote:  

I don't have any experience of the Hamburg music scene, but I've too much of it in Berlin. Berlin isn't big on trance. There are loads of clubs filled with a 20something crowd and large amounts of people on MDMA, but almost all of them jsut play god awful monotonous techno. Have a look at videos/Facebook pages for Weekend, Watergate, der Visionare or Tresor.

Berliners are complete hipster snobs when it comes to cultural in general, and music in particular. If its in anyway mainstream its not going to get played in the "cool" clubs in Berlin. Trance, EDM, and most dance tracks with any sort of vocals don't fill this criteria.

You might get lucky with a smaller more commercial club, but I didn't discover any during my times there. Matrix is the only big 'mainstream' club there, but that was more pop than trance/commercial dance music.

Berlin vs Hamburg

The problem with picking up tourist chicks in Berlin is that they all go out in big groups and all try to pretend they are there for "the party" and they never leave with you.

Otherwise great city for flags, many different countries represented.

Berlin vs Hamburg

I second what HSLD said, having also been to both.

Berlin vs Hamburg

Quote: (07-07-2016 03:02 AM)262 Wrote:  

Music aside, what about the women (:

Berlin vs Hamburg

Quote: (07-07-2016 06:38 AM)BishesMyron Wrote:  

They're terrible in Berlin. Shaved head haircuts, aggressively feminist, very hipster. Generally some combination of the above. All that on top of the traditional Northern German coldness, sobriety and lack of humour.

Berlin is the worst place in Germany for women in my experience. I know its not on your list but if you could make Munich happen somehow I'd really recommend it. Its by far the best place in Germany for both women, and just general life enjoyment.

Berlin vs Hamburg

Berlin is a popular place for young women to go during a Euro backpack trip meaning it's almost certainly shit for women.

Where do women like to go in Europe?

- Rome
- Paris
- London
- Prague
- Amsterdam
- Barcelona
- Berlin
- Venice

Seeing a trend here? The only exception would be Prague but even that is less desirable than basically anywhere else in EE for women.

Berlin vs Hamburg

Quote: (07-07-2016 11:04 AM)Cambodian Creamsicle Wrote:  

Berlin is a popular place for young women to go during a Euro backpack trip meaning it's almost certainly shit for women.

Where do women like to go in Europe?

- Rome
- Paris
- London
- Prague
- Amsterdam
- Barcelona
- Berlin
- Venice

Seeing a trend here? The only exception would be Prague but even that is less desirable than basically anywhere else in EE for women.

You can add Kraków to that list. The explosion of (mainly Anglo) tourist girls there have dragged down its SMV a few notches below the rest of Poland.

What are you getting it, CC? That European cities popular with tourist girls inevitably become penis paradises?

I can't see why it can't go both ways. I've been to all those cities you've listed, and lived in one of them, so I see your point, but I wouldn't think of them as much of a wasteland as you describe it to be.

Remember, they're also filled with tonnes of EE girls all year round.

Berlin vs Hamburg

Quote: (07-07-2016 06:38 AM)BishesMyron Wrote:  

Quote: (07-07-2016 03:02 AM)262 Wrote:  

Probably the same as the music. Hamburg for "money and class" types, and Berlin for hipsters.

IMO, a better deciding factor is where you'll stack more paper, after expenses. If the salary will be the same in either city, then as I recall, Berlin is cheaper.

[Image: dI90OBy.jpg]

Berlin vs Hamburg

Quote: (07-08-2016 03:19 AM)262 Wrote:  

Probably the same as the music. Hamburg for "money and class" types, and Berlin for hipsters.

IMO, a better deciding factor is where you'll stack more paper, after expenses. If the salary will be the same in either city, then as I recall, Berlin is cheaper.

In an industry(finance) with good salary progression so focus just for a good lifestyle for now.

Anyone with input on weekends in Poland? It's the most enticing thing about Berlin for me

Berlin vs Hamburg

Poland is not a ONS culture, going there just for the weekend will automatically label you as another horny tourist. You need to convince the women that you are staying in Poland which may be difficult if you can only meet them during the week-end.

For me Berlin is one of the best "Western" cities. I love the nightlife and no, I'm not into drugs. The women are a lot less conservative and very free spirited, it's much better than Krakow for a week-end trip [Image: smile.gif]
I'm probably biased thought because in two instances I met tourists who had Krakow as their next destination after Berlin and this allowed me to show them the city and my apartment from the local perspective.

Berlin vs Hamburg

I thought Hamburg had reputation for being more of a more rowdy type of city?

We move between light and shadow, mutually influencing and being influenced through shades of gray...

Berlin vs Hamburg

Quote: (07-07-2016 10:39 AM)zatara Wrote:  

but if you could make Munich happen somehow I'd really recommend it. Its by far the best place in Germany for both women, and just general life enjoyment.
Munich is definitely a wonderful place with the alps visible on a clear day. A lot of confused souls in Berlin, heavily tatooed and pierced. Nevertheless Berlin is about 3 times the size of Munich and has a lot going on. Hamburg is great too, cause it's got the mix of stylish and grungy but it's a windy and rainy place so it loses a few points for the weather.

Berlin vs Hamburg

another thing to consider is berlin is much cheaper than hamburg. it will be good for your bank account too, provided the salary is the same in both cities.

the great thing about berlin, for me, is that almost none of the people here are actually from Berlin. This means basically everyone comes here anonymously, and are able to be whatever they want without any kind of preexisting social pressure of expectations of their peers/families. sure, its mostly hipsters and what have you, but i dont really see this as different in any other major western city.

not speaking german is not a problem here. most people dont, and your english seems quite good

Berlin vs Hamburg

I haven't been to Berlin but I live in Germany and have been to Hamburg and recently went out two nights in the main party area (Reeperbahn) on there... Hamburg is a "high class city" with a little international feel to it.. The second night there I met a dude from Sweden. It seems like if you had a boat there (in summer) it would really help pulling females. Girls were decent looking. I can't really talk too much about it as my data talking to girls there is low but I think this is going to come down to your personality type.

Are you a high class kind of guy or alternative kind of guy.

Not speaking German will most likely not hurt you. Only uneducated German girls can't speak English. The English might not be perfect but as long as you don't get crazy with expressions and accent most will understand you.

I am going to try and investigate Berlin within the upcoming weeks

Resident Germany Expert. See my Datasheet:
thread-59335.html

Mini Datasheets: Antwerp / Rotterdam / Lille

Berlin vs Hamburg

Quote: (07-10-2016 12:36 PM)kirdiesel Wrote:  

I haven't been to Berlin but I live in Germany and have been to Hamburg and recently went out two nights in the main party area (Reeperbahn) on there... Hamburg is a "high class city" with a little international feel to it.. The second night there I met a dude from Sweden. It seems like if you had a boat there (in summer) it would really help pulling females. Girls were decent looking. I can't really talk too much about it as my data talking to girls there is low but I think this is going to come down to your personality type.

Are you a high class kind of guy or alternative kind of guy.

Not speaking German will most likely not hurt you. Only uneducated German girls can't speak English. The English might not be perfect but as long as you don't get crazy with expressions and accent most will understand you.

I am going to try and investigate Berlin within the upcoming weeks

I have been to Hamburg, found it really beautiful but my remaining experience is limited to 2 hours at Mondoo nightclub

I wouldn't call myself high class but you could say American Ivy league equivalent and so are all my German friends. But as I've learnt Auslanders always have a bit harder with the women makes me wonder Berlin might be more lax?

Berlin vs Hamburg

From what you describe about yourself it sounds like Hamburg could possibly be the better option.

I live in Cologne and am really looking to get out in the next few years.

Resident Germany Expert. See my Datasheet:
thread-59335.html

Mini Datasheets: Antwerp / Rotterdam / Lille

Berlin vs Hamburg

All right,I fear my post will be the odd one out...

I hear from a lot of members,even the german ones, that the Hansa city is more money and high class than Berlin.

To me it seemed as if Hamburg was more of a rowdy kind of place,more in the vein of Marseille and even New Orleans that like these cities is also suffering under the slow cancer of gentrification. Fun,a bit rough and with a pronounced wealth and culture gap.

I think this resumes it quite nicely:
[Image: 3bClbXam.jpg]

Berlin on the other side struck me as Hipsterville Brooklyn 2.0,as I had to make an effort to remember I was actually within German territory.

Just my two cents,hope the data complements and I value the insights of the other posters as they have given me a new perspecive on which to analyze these places.

We move between light and shadow, mutually influencing and being influenced through shades of gray...