rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Foam Rollers for Increasing Flexibility/Toning/Massage?

[Image: foam_roller_45cm.jpg]

I own one of these simple white foam rollers for your back/legs/shoulders, etc. Bought it cheap off ebay a while back, but the thing is of poor quality, and is now convex in some parts and concave in others. When it was new, it worked just fine, but now that it is falling apart, I'd like to replace it.

Have any of you men used foam rollers/back massagers, and if so, which ones would you recommend to get, or avoid?

John Michael Kane's Datasheets: Master The Credit Game: Save & Make Money By Being Credit Savvy
Boycott these companies that hate men: King's Wiki Boycott List

Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value. -Albert Einstein

https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=0126445502...gsc.page=1

Mike from DangerandPlay has also discussed them.

http://www.dangerandplay.com/2013/02/18/...endonitis/

Search is your friend [Image: biggrin.gif]

Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm." And the warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."

Women and children can be careless, but not men - Don Corleone

Great RVF Comments | Where Evil Resides | How to upload, etc. | New Members Read This 1 | New Members Read This 2

Searched "foam roller" here on RVF, but didn't come up with anything? Odd. Thanks for the links. Any other suggestions gentlemen?

John Michael Kane's Datasheets: Master The Credit Game: Save & Make Money By Being Credit Savvy
Boycott these companies that hate men: King's Wiki Boycott List

Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value. -Albert Einstein

[Image: trigger-point-grid-x-foam-roller-55.jpg]

I have one of these and it's way too hard. I prefer the regular foam ones. They are cheap enough to just replace them when they get wore out. I have a mini one to bring to the gym and a full size one for at home. I also order a lacrosse ball and use it on shoulders/chest/back. You do it by pinning it between your body and the wall. Check out youtube for some great videos on using them if you haven't already.

Foam rollers are pretty good I use them all the time, mainly on my back. You can make your own for a few bucks just buy a pvc pipe and some foam. There are a lot of do it yourself videos on youtube and they work the same as the 40$ nike ones.

Quote: (11-15-2014 09:06 AM)Little Dark Wrote:  
This thread is not going in the direction I was hoping for.

I personally have a firm one like most people posted here and a rumble roller :

[Image: rumble-roller-blue-small1.png]

It's good if you're extra sore from a workout and wants to roll the DOMS out more aggressively.

I was very sceptical when I first read about them but they work wonders!

my suggestions:
1. make sure they are wide enough, I had to return the first one I bought, go for minimum 45cm, possibly more if you have wide shoulders.
2. take a hard one, not a soft one. mine terrible hurt at the beginning but within a few days you can get rid of all the fascial tension, and then it will be great. I never believed this before I tried.
3. IMHO no-name is fine, backroll seems to be main brand, just read some reviews and make sure there is no chemical smell.

my best fitness investment this year!

Quote: (04-18-2016 05:05 PM)John Michael Kane Wrote:  

Have any of you men used foam rollers/back massagers, and if so, which ones would you recommend to get, or avoid?

I am a huge fan of these. When I started lifting a few years ago, and getting post workout cramps, a I invested in and they're awesome for both warming up and preventing muscle cramps.

I have a friend who's a trainer for a Div 1 school, he suggested the Performer Better Elite line, which is what I went with. They're firm but not unpleasant like the plastic shelled ones.

[Image: 2066_2.jpg]

For you geeks: Mindless Drone's VR Primer

Foam rollers are great. I've used them for close to 7 years now and its relaxing to use one, plus it has the benefit of getting slight niggles out of your back and legs.

If you want pressure point stuff you won;t get it from them however. You need to use a small ball similar to a tennis/lacrosse ball.

Bump bc foam rollers are frickin awesome, and by extension, that ~10 minutes of warm-up/prep is key where you can get your body going and roll or stretch while you relax, get into state and focus on what you want to get done in your workout. I long had a pump-the-iron mentality where I wanted to throw a bar up the minute I got in the gym. It really does pay off to put in a mind-body routine to start things out.

This video contains a lot of good information about foam rolling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zj1uWkRj2Lg

Foam rolling is awesome. I utilize it for warming up/cooling down/in between sets. They're simple and work.

Lacross balls and barbells work wonderfully for rolling out too. Try setting your barbell on the low rack meant to catch/hold a barbell and roll your hammies (one at of time of course) across the bar as the bar rolls on the low rack. Great for getting ready for RDLs, Deadlifts, whatever.

PVC pipe is awesome for legs too...can take sometime to build up to it though!

I have a Rumble Roller that's great. Had it for years: https://www.rumbleroller.com/

The PVC pipe method is fantastic. I'd also recommend buying a couple of lacrosse balls for common trigger points in the glutes, lats, and upper back.

the chef and hedonist: Do you use a large or smaller diameter PVC pipe? Homemade or retail?

Saccade 4" PVC pipe (roughly 4.5" diameter) got it from home depot and cut down to size. 6" would be perfect.
Only thing I use for legs.
Lacrose for glutes and foam for upper body.