rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Craft Beer and Micro-Brewery Thread

We all know that the manliest of men surely do enjoy cultivating their taste buds thought exposure to the vast array of tastes, flavours, textures and shapes available on God's good earth.

One area of free male expression is in his choice of beer. Of course, the popular beer brands are all watery piss, but fortunately, there are real men throughout the world who have taken a stand by creating brews as varied as the men who drink them.

I've create this thread as a safe space to celebrate craft beer, unique local specialties and the men who drink it.

Negative views on craft beer are absolutely welcome here! You may be wrong, but we value your input.

Here in Beijing, we have three strong contenders.

Great Leap Brewing

[Image: ay_115781897.jpg?w=650&h=433&crop=1#038;h=667]
Early hutong location

This was the first microbrewery to enter the Beijing market. I've had fewer of their choices, but they have some very good beer on their menu.

They started as a small hutong bar with a courtyard, but now have expanded to a second larger location. The first location has been revamped. The image above is from several years ago.

[Image: 20130705112342561_Medium.jpg]
New location

Slow Boat

[Image: photo1jpg.jpg]
If you sit at the bar, the staff will actually take the time to get to know you when they aren't busy

My favourite venue for craft beer. They only have a small hutong bar, but many restaurants carry their beer. They also are home to arguably the best burger in Beijing. Arguably.

JingA

[Image: Large%20BEIJING%20Jing-A%20Taproom%2003.ashx?mw=1196]
Unique interior, lots of staff

Although food service has had it's difficulties, it has improved greatly. However, if you come for beer and are lucky enough to find a seat, you'll at least get that quickly. If you do risk ordering the food (it usually arrives eventually), you're in for a treat. The menu is short, but excellent. Offers one of Beijing's only Reuben sandwiches. Try arriving on a Monday night when it isn't completely packed full of people.

I'm the King of Beijing!

Are you kidding me?

This brings shame.

Now I am forced to start my own Shitty Domestic Beer To Get Day Drinking Wasted Thread.

[Image: 11351696_1443703429293619_1264198353_n.jpg]

I predict plaid shirt sales and Bjork poster pop up ads in this tread.

I spot 5 manlets already effortlessly on image display in their natural habitat within 1 post. WB girls 0 for 3. Firecracker start.

SENS Foundation - help stop age-related diseases

Quote: (05-19-2016 12:01 PM)Giovonny Wrote:  
If I talk to 100 19 year old girls, at least one of them is getting fucked!
Quote:WestIndianArchie Wrote:
Am I reacting to her? No pussy, all problems
Or
Is she reacting to me? All pussy, no problems

[Image: the-14-phases-of-every-beer-nerd-s-life]

Guys are gonna be posting these soon in this thread. Look at how rare my beer from Northeast Myanmar is! It's Violet Tulip Lager. I like a dash of cinnamon for flavor. It's delicious!

Or

[Image: BeerSnob.jpg]

Just simply orgasmic guys! You have to try this one too! I'll Snapchat it to you!

Or

This thread is going in the direction I was hoping for.

I'm the King of Beijing!

America.

[Image: 2ba5453f2782809c44a6c53a84ccdba5.jpg]

Or

I don't think we're all that far apart as people think.

I don't like hipster culture. And I don't go out to craft breweries often...hardly at all, these days. But it's cool if people like to do it.

All I'm saying is that I like good quality domestic beer. I like the beers from different parts of the country, the good stuff, that you can buy in a good liquor store. I don't see how, or why, anyone can possibly shame that. Makes no sense to me.

Samuel Adams is my favorite domestic brand, all around.

Is that considered a "craft beer"?

Not really a craft or micro-brew, but I usually stick to Trappists when I drink beer.

Rochefort is good. So is Chimay.

[Image: Rochefort_beers_640x495.jpg]

Quote: (03-01-2016 01:25 AM)Travesty Wrote:  

Look at how rare my beer from Northeast Myanmar is! It's Violet Tulip Lager. I like a dash of cinnamon for flavor. It's delicious!

Everyone knows Beer-Lao Dark is the best SEA beer, you philistine.

Though this blended whisky from Myanmar is pretty good for a blend:

[Image: fmimg5152533880108435961.jpg]

And less than $10 a bottle.

Here's the the thing this fight isn't hipster vs. normal guy.

This fight is guys that care way too much about what they are drinking flavors and all that instead of just focused on getting a good buzz and drunk. It is like snobby wine culture, only doesn't have nearly as many hot chicks involved. At least whiskeys are cool in nature. Beer is not. It is fucking beer. You drink alot of it, belch alot, piss alot. It is the sweaty little underling of the alcohol family.

Taste testing.

Say it.

Now say it again 5 times, in a row.

Try not to feel gay. You can't.

Or

Quote: (03-01-2016 01:34 AM)Quintus Curtius Wrote:  

I don't think we're all that far apart as people think.

I don't like hipster culture. And I don't go out to craft breweries often...hardly at all, these days. But it's cool if people like to do it.

All I'm saying is that I like good quality domestic beer. I like the beers from different parts of the country, the good stuff, that you can buy in a good liquor store. I don't see how, or why, anyone can possibly shame that. Makes no sense to me.

Samuel Adams is my favorite domestic brand, all around.

Is that considered a "craft beer"?

I think Sam Adams finds the perfect middle ground in terms of "large brewery" and "craft brewery". It's available coast to coast, but they still have a wide variety of special and seasonal beers. Frankly, for my money, nothing tops a Sam Adams Octoberfest seasonal. In my younger days, I once cleared out the grocery store of Octoberfest upon its first release for the year.

"Nothing comes easier than madness in the world today
Mass paranoia is a mode not a malady"
Bad Religion - The Defense

I'm just going to leave this in here.

[Image: Kelp+Stout.jpg?format=750w]

It's a winner.

I'm not an American but Budweiser is piss and Samuel Adams is a decent beer. Beer Lao Dark is indeed the best beer in SEA.

All this talk about fruity and faggoty beers got me thinking. So I made my way to JingA, sat down at the bar and ordered myself a Guizhou Smoked Chili Porter. Most excellent!

[Image: YfcljWX.jpg]

When great minds come together....

I'm the King of Beijing!

It's unfortunate that entrepreneurial endeavors like brewing your own beer have become conflated with hipster culture.

It's very manly indeed to create something excellent that stands out above the bland average and calls everyone to a higher standard, be it beer or a pair of shoes or a restaurant.

Hipsters may be effeminate, pretentious and left-leaning on the whole but let's compartmentalize and give respect where it's due:

They generally pour their efforts into artisanal enterprises that call for a high degree of competency and discrimination and they reject the trend of taking soul-crushing office jobs, even if it means being a barista.

I want to highlight Dan Norris's brewery on the Gold Coast of Australia, Black Hops Brewing.'

http://blackhops.com.au/

They're unique because they build their brand largely through content marketing and through their podcast, which is I believe one of the best ways to get traction for a business with minimal investment massive ROI, although it takes a bit longer than most other marketing channels.

I haven't actually tried the beer but I've been following the business side of things and it's been really enlightening to see what you can do with some clever content marketing.

I just relocated to a 2nd venue to enjoy a 1/2 on Tuesday Spicy Chorizo Pizza and a quality draft pour of Slow Boat's Helmsman's Honey Ale.

[Image: fJV1FUw.jpg]

Yum!

I'm the King of Beijing!

You're not supposed to leave your pinky out suits you faggot. [Image: lol.gif]

One of my favorite micro-breweries in DC:

[Image: 201311120-274483-bluejacket-interior.jpg]

[Image: 10457567995_f7e0472760_o.jpg]

[attachment=30178]

Damn got me thinking about beer this early in the morning, for shame.

Vice-Captain - #TeamWaitAndSee

This is technically off-topic and therefore problematic, but I'm in an upscale and trendy cocktail lounge right now and the bartender just handed me my order, a drink entitled "Spring Julep."

[Image: m6sDT5T.jpg]

I won't give away my actual location because I don't want to spend the whole night signing autographs, but the lounge's name rhymes with Banes and Booch.

This is my go-to 2nd venue for drinks after dinner with my dates. The bar staff is trained to swear on their mothers' graves that they've never seen me in there with another girl. I only ever come alone. *faggety winK*

I'm the King of Beijing!

Im not particularly a fan of micro breweries,most of the time they re too expensive when on supermarket but I do try them if they are reaosnable and within my travel path,it actually happened more than afew times to be drifting through some unknown corner of the Pyrenees or some forest or other in Hesse and came across a small brewery or met someone who brewed their own.

That said,I 've been keeping a picture catalog of every beer I ve drunk ,regardless of minor/major brand,variety,craft or rarity status. I think its up to 160 now

My favourites are also the belgian trappists though I have a thing for Honey beer and german doppelbocks.

We move between light and shadow, mutually influencing and being influenced through shades of gray...

Quote: (03-01-2016 05:18 AM)VincentVinturi Wrote:  

It's very manly indeed to create something excellent that stands out above the bland average and calls everyone to a higher standard, be it beer or a pair of shoes or a restaurant.

Hipsters may be effeminate, pretentious and left-leaning on the whole but let's compartmentalize and give respect where it's due:

They generally pour their efforts into artisanal enterprises that call for a high degree of competency and discrimination and they reject the trend of taking soul-crushing office jobs, even if it means being a barista.

Id rep you again.

As much as I hate hipsters and their effeminate culture, I have to give them props. They might en up saving the world after all. While all the breweries that produce more than a few kegs a year are being bought by corporate entities that turn them into beer of the Love in a Canoe type, they are creating unique, if pretentious, small batch productions that keep them and their friends able to pay the rent. (Cue to their gay friends rendition of "We're not going to pay" from their lasts years production of Rent for their community college gender studies class, that keep small independent creatives and intellectuals, well, small and independent, but creating. Our own Quintus Curtius or Mike Cernovich wouldnt be free to pursue their intellectual purposes if it where not for the hipster culture that nobilifies creative endeavours and allows them to receive the collective small patronages of the people who appreciate their work.) While every arable plot of land is being invaded by monsanto drought resistant glow in the dark sorghum, they create a niche market for the small hipster producers of heirloom varieties and a fair market for farmers of the small traditional pockets that still hold american rooted communities like the amish.

As much as Id like to smash hipsters over their heads with their own DIY ukeleles, id rather drink some of that violet lotus cinnamon beer from Myanmar than another Piss Corona with a wedge of lime.

Quote: (03-01-2016 05:25 AM)Suits Wrote:  

I just relocated to a 2nd venue to enjoy a 1/2 on Tuesday Spicy Chorizo Pizza and a quality draft pour of Slow Boat's Helmsman's Honey Ale.

China doesnt looks so bad after all.

As of beers, I liked this one:

[Image: calavera_mexican-imperial-stout.jpeg]

Its gimmicky ingredients list, which lists "sugar skulls" in it, does not detracts from its flavour and at 9% alcohol content it packs a punch. Not expensive either. Was around $50 pesos in Coyoacán Centro, so, more or less what you would end up paying for that limey Corona.

NOW we're talking....

This is the best one I've tried. Wish it was available here in Texas.

[Image: 070612_k.jpg]

[Image: beer_69337.jpg]

If anyone is coming to the states from Ireland anytime soon please bring me some. I miss it.

Not on here much anymore. I'm either out on 2 wheels or trying to kill something.

I thought craft beer place should be filled with older guys who have more experiences with beer and can spend more money. (you don't see upscale dining places filled with youngsters especially hipsters)

But it's definitely a place for hipsters. Am I the only one who likes to go to one of those places for cute chicks and grab a glass of wine?

I'm going to post a thread about brewing your own beer, if anyone is interested??

I see it is a craft.

It is a slippery slope though.

Look Suits you already posted a pinky extended shot and a Honey beer admission.

I mean look where does it stop? Will the next Microbrewery you get a VIP membership (Taste Test Lovers Card) in Beijing take over an old bathhouse where guys can steam it up in towels or less and talk about their favorite new Cilantro Lime Spicy Lemon Cider recipes?

Or