rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Resources to learn about gardening

Hey guys. One of my goals for 2016 is to become more self-sufficient and begin growing some of my own crops. I rent a house with enough space in the backyard to grow a fairly large vegetable garden with a few staple crops. Do you guys have any websites, publications or books you'd recommend for a complete novice? Thanks!

Permies.com and I'd recommend subscribing to John Kohler's channel on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFDuM2P1E-Q He's full of permaculture based gardening tips.

The key to making self-sufficent living easy is automating as much as you can and permaculture is an essential component in fulfilling this goal. Key word is "permaculture". You are welcome.

I've also wondered about this as well as landscaping. When I have my own place to settle down at I know I'll one day spend considerable time reading, writing, and gardening.

As Cicero said, "If you have a garden and a library you have everything you need."

two scoops
two genders
two terms

Castalia has an author "David the Good" that writes on the topic. I haven't read his books yet, but supposedly they're good.

Wrong thread, sorry

They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety- Benjamin Franklin, as if you didn't know...

The Market Gardener is a great book

Holy shit. Thought he got unbanned. Didn't know this one existed. Definitely not one of his more out there questions. [Image: lol.gif]

Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm." And the warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."

Women and children can be careless, but not men - Don Corleone

Great RVF Comments | Where Evil Resides | How to upload, etc. | New Members Read This 1 | New Members Read This 2

Honestly, most of the early retirement gurus will say that you should only grow expensive shit (like tomatoes) and buy cheap things like potatoes.

If I had the time, I'd say fuck all that noise and I would grow potatoes in a collection of 30 five gallon foodsafe buckets.

Bucket potatoes aren't hard to do and you'd basically have all your carbs taken care of. Put in a potato, cover with dirt. Water it every once in a while and continue covering it with dirt throughout the weeks until the bucket is full of dirt (and potatoes).

Then when you want potatoes, you dump the bucket out into a wheelbarrow. Now you don't have to spear the damn things with a potato fork and you don't have to bust your ass for fifteen minutes to get dinner.

I first became attracted to the idea of bucket potatoes when I learned (from an analysis of The Martian) that most potatoes nowadays are not organic. In fact, they won't even sprout eyes. They are drenched in chemicals before planting and after, in order to prevent them from sprouting eyes. This increases their shelf life and makes them about as preservative-rich as a packet of Ramen noodles. Fuck you Monsanto.

“I have a very simple rule when it comes to management: hire the best people from your competitors, pay them more than they were earning, and give them bonuses and incentives based on their performance. That’s how you build a first-class operation.”
― Donald J. Trump

If you want some PDF's on bodyweight exercise with little to no equipment, send me a PM and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

Your best bet is to look at gardening blogs/videos made by people living in the same climate/latitude as you. David the Good's book sounded interesting to me until I checked out his youtube channel and realized he was in Florida and really wouldn't have much info for Pacific Northwest gardening.

Potatoes really attract a lot of bugs, though.

If only you knew how bad things really are.

As someone who has gotten into gardening to give myself access to more organic food, I've found this channel to be the best on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/user/growingyourgreens

He also has a juicing channel, which goes over different techniques and also models of juicers:

http://www.youtube.com/user/rawfoods

Last but not least, if you want to do gardening as a side hustle, this guy has a program for those wanting to grow for profit, even in urban areas:

https://www.youtube.com/user/urbanfarmercstone

John Michael Kane's Datasheets: Master The Credit Game: Save & Make Money By Being Credit Savvy
Boycott these companies that hate men: King's Wiki Boycott List

Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value. -Albert Einstein

Quote: (05-04-2016 03:36 AM)BortimusPrime Wrote:  

Your best bet is to look at gardening blogs/videos made by people living in the same climate/latitude as you. David the Good's book sounded interesting to me until I checked out his youtube channel and realized he was in Florida and really wouldn't have much info for Pacific Northwest gardening.

You should definitely give David the Good a read.

The specific crops and varieties aren't much use to me in the UK, but he's got so much enthusiasm and is all about "just give it a go" rather than the prescriptive "do it perfectly" methods from most books.

"Compost everything" is applicable wherever you are.

EDIT: And he's actually funny, not just the strained humour that's normally considered acceptable for normal gardening writers.

"I'd hate myself if I had that kind of attitude, if I were that weak." - Arnold

So much depends on your local climate. Here in New England, I think the best way to grow tomatoes is under a transparent (plastic) roof. We have unpredictable summers and in a rainy one blight can wipe out your crop. Also it extends the season when you actually harvest. Spraying BT for hornworms is the other important thing to do.

If only you knew how bad things really are.