rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

The Handgun Thread

The Handgun Thread

I know there are one or two old threads on the forum that are generally gun-related, but wanted to make one that was more defined. Hopefully it will be specific-yet-general enough that it could be useful to anyone who enjoys handgun shooting. If you have a question, answer, review, or piece of advice having to do with handguns/handgun ammo/etc, feel free to put it here.

The Handgun Thread

The only time I fired a gun was in thailand in 2013, I needed a reality check so I payed to test a small Glock (maybe a glock 17)

What I felt was the Illusion of Power that firing a gun gives you, it surely fade as the number of use increase but knowing how to handle a gun is definitly a great skillset to acquire.
I also find interresting the way commandos carry their handgun in a securing manner
It seems that firing a gun this way give you more accuracy because it put in one move the ability to aim shot and hit the target.

Tell them too much, they wouldn't understand; tell them what they know, they would yawn.
They have to move up by responding to challenges, not too easy not too hard, until they paused at what they always think is the end of the road for all time instead of a momentary break in an endless upward spiral

The Handgun Thread

For me a handgun is a tool, nothing more. I live in the Alaskan bush, so bear protection is a must.

Ultralight 44 mag revolver. It's a double action (meaning if it's not cocked and you pull the trigger the hammer will move and it will shoot) and it kicks like a horse. I shoot it about once a year. It holds 6 shots, when I'm out in the woods I leave the first chamber empty and the other 5 chambers loaded (in case you drop it you don't want it to fire)

45 ACP. It's not as big as the 44 mag, is modern and has all the safety features. The upside is that it's easier to shoot (more accurate) and you get more shots in a smaller timeframe.

If a bear charges you might have enough time to get off one good shot.

The Handgun Thread

I would love to get into gun ownership, especially with the direction the world is turning. I've never shot a gun, as a kid I only fucked around with paintball and bb guns. What advice would you give to someone like me who is interested but who's never been involved? Essentially a starter's guide. I've thought about getting a conceal and carry license but have never fully invested in the idea.

The Handgun Thread

Do you live near a shooting range that rents handguns? Indoor ranges tend to rent handguns, outdoor ranges generally do not. If you live near an indoor range go there and try out different handguns. You can start with a 22 and work your way up. A bigger gun isn't always better. If you can't handle the recoil go with something smaller. You can carry the biggest gun in the world and it won't matter if you can't hit anything.

For concealed carry, I highly recommend taking an all- day class to see if it's something you really want to do. The legal topics covered will be eye opening.

The Handgun Thread

Quote: (12-12-2015 08:33 PM)wi30 Wrote:  

I would love to get into gun ownership, especially with the direction the world is turning. I've never shot a gun, as a kid I only fucked around with paintball and bb guns. What advice would you give to someone like me who is interested but who's never been involved? Essentially a starter's guide. I've thought about getting a conceal and carry license but have never fully invested in the idea.

There are a couple ROK articles on the subject, one of which I wrote, that both have some good info:

http://www.returnofkings.com/60221/a-new...-ownership
http://www.returnofkings.com/74118/how-t...-first-gun

Most ranges I've been to have had beginner handgun classes - I don't mean concealed carry classes, just a class on how to basically use handguns - and will rent out a gun if you don't have one. I would recommend starting there to learn how to handle guns, then talking to friends/relatives who are into guns, talking to people at guns stores, or visiting gun forums to get an idea of what's good for your situation.

Also, for a defensive gun for someone who is a newbie (and actually, for many people who aren't) I would really recommend getting something chambered in 9mm Luger. It's relatively low-recoil, so you don't start a flinching habit, and relatively low-cost so you can get in more practice. You can find all kinds of guns in 9mm, whether for carry or home defense.

The Handgun Thread

I would start with something like a Ruger Mark III in 22LR, or, a not too expensive 9mm like the CZ 75, due to ammo cost.

If only you knew how bad things really are.

The Handgun Thread

Thanks for the info guys. There are a few indoor ranges in my area I could go talk to. I also want to take a class.

I grew up in a very anti-gun environment. My mother lost her dad at age 18 because he was a sheriff and his gun went off as he was cleaning it. She made sure we were never around guns.

I know I'll never be a gun enthusiast but I really want to get the basic knowledge down and eventually purchase a handgun that will keep me safe.

The Handgun Thread

Quote: (12-12-2015 09:15 PM)wi30 Wrote:  

Thanks for the info guys. There are a few indoor ranges in my area I could go talk to. I also want to take a class.

I grew up in a very anti-gun environment. My mother lost her dad at age 18 because he was a sheriff and h̶i̶s̶ ̶g̶u̶n̶ ̶w̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶o̶f̶f̶ he pulled the trigger after failing to clear it properly as he was cleaning it. She made sure we were never around guns.

I know I'll never be a gun enthusiast but I really want to get the basic knowledge down and eventually purchase a handgun that will keep me safe.

Fixed that for you, "the gun went off" is pet peeve of mine. Similar to the "it just happened" we all know and love.

Anyway, yeah go to a range and rent a few different pistols seeing which one works for you. Ergonomics of the weapon are often overlooked as people want to try something that looks cool or is popular but it may not be the right tool for them.

"Okay (and I'm laughing now, because this is so funny), so we're A) not supposed to give you flowers, B) pay you compliments, or C) look at you. Anything else? Because I'm struggling to figure out the reason why after hearing that, I'm feeling like I'd rather get fucked in the ass by a Cape Buffalo than ever have to sit through dinner with you. Maybe you can figure it out for me. When you do, let me know. I'll be at Natasha's house."

The Handgun Thread

I have a 9mm and .45 that I take quite often to the range. The guns are a Glock 17 and Springfield XD. Both reliable and easy to use.

For those that are inexperienced in shooting, go to your local shooting range and rent a 9mm or .22. Both have low recoil and won't put you on your ass. If you rent, the people that work there will give you a quick crash course on how the gun works before they put it in your hands. They will show you where the magazine release is as well as how to load rounds into the magazine. They will also teach you about the slide and the hammer (if you decide to use a gun that has one). The crash course should be enough for you to take into range lane and squeeze off a few rounds. I see people all the time who have never shot rent a gun and go right in after a quick lesson.

The range master will also give you a run down of how to set up your targets as well as gun safety when you are in your lane (i.e. gun always pointed down range, do not take the gun outside the designated area, don't aim at the ceiling).

That should be enough for you to get started. If you become a gun enthusiast or want to learn how to aim better, learn about grips, stances, or carrying, take a class. If you are just going to learn the functionality of a pistol, the brief session with the person who rents you the gun should be enough.

Reporter: What keeps you awake at night?
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis: Nothing, I keep other people awake at night.

OKC Data Sheet

The Handgun Thread

I would recommend Ruger's LCP. It fits easily in the back jeans pocket and is no bigger than a wallet. Cost is $200, holds 6 rounds of .380/9mm kurz. I use it for concealed carry and light home defense.

A lot of people claim the .380 round doesn't pack enough punch, but I go by the adage that the .380 in my pocket does me more good than the .45 in the glove box.

The Handgun Thread

That is a nice gun. Actually the main drawback to .380 is the cost of ammo. On the plus side you can have a fixed barrel design such as on the Walther PPK and get great accuracy in a small gun.

9mm Luger is better for ammo cost if you want to practice a lot.

The Handgun Thread

Quote: (12-15-2015 03:43 PM)RoadKill503 Wrote:  

I would recommend Ruger's LCP. It fits easily in the back jeans pocket and is no bigger than a wallet. Cost is $200, holds 6 rounds of .380/9mm kurz. I use it for concealed carry and light home defense.

A lot of people claim the .380 round doesn't pack enough punch, but I go by the adage that the .380 in my pocket does me more good than the .45 in the glove box.

That pistol does very well in one of these....

Лучше поздно, чем никогда

...life begins at "70% Warning Level."....

The Handgun Thread

Have to disagree that a Ruger LCP would be a good gun for someone new to guns. The tiny .380's can be snappy little guns, not fun to shoot at all, and they aren't really range guns. The ammo is expensive, sometimes scarce as well. Great for concealment and up close self defense though.

If someone wants to learn about guns and spend time at the range improving their shooting I think it's much better to go with something like a compact 9mm, it will be large enough to shoot comfortably and accurately. If they decide they want to carry, they can then get a LCP (I'd recommend a single stack 9mm though) or similar to fit the purpose.

Americans are dreamers too

The Handgun Thread

delete

The Handgun Thread

I agree with GlobalMan in that handguns are always a compromise. What you gain in a concealed carry gun (i.e. small size, low weight, thin profile) you can often lose in higher recoil, higher ammo cost. Usually you'll end up with multiple guns. Something 9mm is a good compromise. Personally I would pick something heavy but that's just me. I prefer older styled guns. M1911, Hi-Power, CZ75, etc. Those are outdated for CCW, though. I used to have a Sig P229 which was nice but I hardly ever shot it because of the .40 ammo cost.

The Handgun Thread

Quote: (12-16-2015 04:15 PM)GlobalMan Wrote:  

Have to disagree that a Ruger LCP would be a good gun for someone new to guns. The tiny .380's can be snappy little guns, not fun to shoot at all, and they aren't really range guns. The ammo is expensive, sometimes scarce as well. Great for concealment and up close self defense though.

If someone wants to learn about guns and spend time at the range improving their shooting I think it's much better to go with something like a compact 9mm, it will be large enough to shoot comfortably and accurately. If they decide they want to carry, they can then get a LCP (I'd recommend a single stack 9mm though) or similar to fit the purpose.

I knew that .380 costs more and is slightly weaker than 9mm, so I figured the only reason people could possibly want a .380 pistol (compared to a similar-sized 9mm) is reduced recoil. I haven't shot a .380 before - is there really that little difference in recoil between it and a 9mm?

The Handgun Thread

The Handgun Thread

Quote: (12-16-2015 10:02 PM)SirTimothy Wrote:  

Quote: (12-16-2015 04:15 PM)GlobalMan Wrote:  

I knew that .380 costs more and is slightly weaker than 9mm, so I figured the only reason people could possibly want a .380 pistol (compared to a similar-sized 9mm) is reduced recoil. I haven't shot a .380 before - is there really that little difference in recoil between it and a 9mm?

It's not that there isn't a difference in the energy of .380 vs 9mm, there definitely is. It's that the tiny .380 guns have much less weight/mass to them, which increases felt recoil. And you can only get two/maybe three fingers on them due to size, which reduces the controllability, and leads to more felt recoil.

Of course, there are larger/heavier .380s, like the Walther PPK (all steel-heavier), PK380 (larger), Glock 42 (larger) etc, those will have less felt recoil due to either the increased mass and/or the ability to get a better grip on them.

Felt recoil comes down to not only the energy of the round, but the mass of the gun, and your ability to get a good grip on it.

Quote:Quote:

so I figured the only reason people could possibly want a .380 pistol (compared to a similar-sized 9mm) is reduced recoil

.380's are generally much smaller guns than 9mm's, that's the main reason people choose them, they want something small that's easy to carry.

If they go with a larger .380 like I mentioned above, then yes the'll be a benefit of less felt recoil.

Here's a comparison chart of the general size and weight difference between the little .380's and the smallest 9mm's.

[Image: RugerLC9-RugerLCPcomparison-1.jpg]

Americans are dreamers too

The Handgun Thread

I highly recommend that all gun owners get a NRA membership, in addition to one with Gun Owners of America. SJW's are always on the warpath to ban personal, masculine freedoms like firearms ownership. I, for one, say hell no! Real men are armed men. They protect their families, friends and tribe.

John Michael Kane's Datasheets: Master The Credit Game: Save & Make Money By Being Credit Savvy
Boycott these companies that hate men: King's Wiki Boycott List

Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value. -Albert Einstein

The Handgun Thread

Here's my first handgun. Sig Saur 1911 Scorpion

[Image: 2200265_01_sig_1911_full_size_scorpion_fo_640.jpg]

I also have the threaded barrel for it as well.

Chicago Tribe.

My podcast with H3ltrsk3ltr and Cobra.

Snowplow is uber deep cover as an alpha dark triad player red pill awoken gorilla minded narc cop. -Kaotic

The Handgun Thread

Rules for a Gunfight
Anonymous

6. If you can choose what to bring to a gunfight, bring a long gun and a friend with a long gun.

The Handgun Thread

The LCP is ok for what it is - a 'point defense' weapon good to about 15 yards. Self-defense only. If you have large hands, its going to be a bit to hold since its so small.

For a first pistol for "nightstand" or general use, I would get a good 9mm semi like a Glock 17 or the equivalent. Glocks are an acquired taste...some love, some hate. But there's Springfield XD, S&W M&P, etc. No shortage of 9mm pistols out there, and you can customize to your heart's content.

I normally CCW a Glock 27, but then I have small hands for a guy. Some day I'll save enough pennies for a Kimber Ultra Carry.

The Handgun Thread

Quote: (12-18-2015 02:53 PM)1818Steve Wrote:  

Rules for a Gunfight
Anonymous

6. If you can choose what to bring to a gunfight, bring a long gun and a friend with a long gun.

Rule #1: Bring a gun.

The Handgun Thread

Also good for sword fights.