rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Long Flights

Long Flights

Hate long flights and am looking for some flighthacks from the pros on here

Break it down for me.

What are you packing?

Movies: Airplane vs Your own.

Books: Kindle vs ipad vs other.

Pharmaceuticals: Which ones?

And so forth...

Anything to make that time pass

Thanks

Long Flights

I have a back problems so I always take a Percocet when I get on the plane. I get about five hours of heaven and all I really so is sit there and close my eyes and smile. This method has always worked for me. A few months ago I flew with a forum member who popped an ecctasy. I think he must of got every number in the airport as well as having the flights attendants giving him extra drinks for free and smiling at him and not stop. He was balling. All the guys hated him but the chicks loved him.

I'm not much for reading and watching movies, I'd rather sit there in my thoughts and chill.

Long Flights

Long flights are pretty rough.

The one thing I have been doing lately is lacking one of those unflatable neck pillows. But I don't use it for my neck. I use under my back or wedge it wherever there is a gap so my body can rest on something. Not sure if that makes sense. But you can't relax if you are tensing and sometimes for me finding a comfortable position ends up in slightly weird looking positions.

I have a backpack with my camera gear and electronics so that is usually under the seat in front. But once the flight takes off I pull it out and carefully put my legs on it. That helps to relax the body.

Depending on where you are going try to sleep when it is evening in that country.

For me I usually pop an ambien before the meal so when meal service is done I am out. This is if I am outbound to Europe. On the return I try and stay awake.

Entertainment is up to you. Can't answer that. But most planes these days have modern entertainment. Should be able to find something to watch that is new to you. As far as books go put them on your kindle. I carried a book recently and while it was a great book, it was extra weight.

Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm." And the warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."

Women and children can be careless, but not men - Don Corleone

Great RVF Comments | Where Evil Resides | How to upload, etc. | New Members Read This 1 | New Members Read This 2

Long Flights

Quote: (11-19-2015 10:53 AM)Kaizen Wrote:  

Hate long flights and am looking for some flighthacks from the pros on here

Break it down for me.

What are you packing?

Movies: Airplane vs Your own.

Books: Kindle vs ipad vs other.

Pharmaceuticals: Which ones?

And so forth...

Anything to make that time pass

Thanks

When flying to Asia,

1. Try to purchase direct flights in order to minimize flight time, make sure its not flying out of San Francisco. (Due to Delay)

2. Carry Ipad to watch movie and surf web on airplanes

3. Chose planes that are equip with wifi

4. read a book - Go on Amazon and find best books

5. stay up late on the day of the flight, so you will more likely sleep

6. Take HTP to help you sleep better

7. bring something to write or type - set goals etc.

If you love life, don't waste time, for time is what life is made up of.
– Bruce Lee

One must give value, but one must profit from it too, life is about balance

Long Flights

Average about 70 flights a year both short haul ( I consider this under 5 hours) and long haul.

Fly a mix of economy, premium economy and business...

First thing is buy some EARplane plugs- the change of pressure wreck havoc on your sinuses- ears, nose etc. basically put these plugs in during take off and landing and they will greatly easy the pressure on your ears etc. Would never take a flight without these ...

If flying economy then search for the 'J' travel pillow . I've tried every sort of travel pillow out there and by far this the best of the bunch- just look at the Amazon reviews. This cushion greatly improved how much sleep I got on the plane...

If flying business ( lie flat seats) then you don't need to bother packing a J cushion.

Take a comfortable eye mask as blocking out liightand distractions helps with sleep. Takes a little getting used to but greatly helps.- the free ones you normally get on planes are crap....

Same goes for traditional ear plus to block out noise.

Staying away from alcohol and staying hydrated with plain water is the best method to keep you body as fresh as one can be. With food try and stay away from stodgy food like pastas etc. food on planes is rarely any good even in the premium cabins so either I won't eat a great deal or take granola bars etc with me.

I don't really do pharmaceuticals on planes as the one time I tried over the counter sleeping pills made me really groggy at the end of the trip.

Before flying do your homework... If you have not booked flights the find out which plane is scheduled and chose the best of the bunch if prices and timings are similar.

For example an A380 and 787 has much better cabin air quality than other planes ( soon you can include the A350). The difference of cabin air quality also makes a big difference to how you rest on the plane however at the same time you should into consideration who your carrier is and their own particular seating plans. ( e,g I would not travel economy on BA 787 as their seating layout is shit and one of the most cramped planes around.)

Choose wisely as to which seat you select... Bulkhead seats sound great cause of leg space normally however more likely to be next to baby bassinets / toilets / kitchens so footfall will greatly disturb you.

Electronics wise largely depends on plane and carrier - someone like Emirates won't even bother getting my iPad out as majority of the time their in flight entertainment has a huge good selection with a good screen compared to British Airways on one of their older tiny screen planes which is barely watchable.

Invest is some good noise cancelling headphones - looking to spend about £200 or $300 for a decent pair. Makes watching movies or listening to music so much better and cuts out a lot of the plane noise.

In the spirit of the forum when you are selecting seats by sitting near the back of the plane will result in much higher chance of sitting next to a hot woman. It's a catch 22 situation as sitting as close to the front is more desirable but this attracts the frequent flyers who by far are predominantly male and middle aged - ( generally find them alcoholics and over weight)

Over the last 3 years I can say sitting in up front has resulted in me sitting next to a hot woman all of once.... I always take a walk on planes and can positively say by sitting near the back of the plane greatly increases your chances of sitting next to a female...

Take anti bacterial gel and wipes with you... You don't want to think bout how nasty it is and how many people share a loo and don't wash their hands etc properly... I know it may sound like OCD but wipe down your arm rests, IfE remote and tray table etc as soon as you get on the plane. Will decrease the chance of you falling ill- it's unbelievable what tests show what germs lurk on a plane...

If I think of more will update ....

Long Flights

I'll watch the movies on the airplane. I tried doing the "bring my own" but I get bored and end up fast forwarding since its so easy.
Can't read books on long flights. Shorter flights are easier.
I tried doing audible and podcasts, I get sick of them quick.

I just try to either connect to in flight wifi if available, knock out, watch movies on the on demand systems if they have them.

Take Ambien or Melatonin if I don't have a current prescription.

Usually take the blanket and try to strategically knock out.

Long Flights

When I take flights 20+ hours on a 777, I usually book row 41 (applies to PAL) which costs $50 extra. This gives all the leg room you can ask for. Your right behind the lavatory which is great for convenience and also checking out a cutie on your flight waiting in line to use the washroom. Also, the meal cart starts at your row always. Another plus, it seems only foreigners (not Filipinos flying back home) book this upgraded seating, so most often, I have an empty seat next to me.

As for entertainment, I load my iPad mini with tons of premium cable series and binge watch on the flight. I bring a 200gb back up for extra movies and tv shows for the flight back!

I find it hard to sleep and I am lucky if I get an hour or two here and there. Usually pack Advil along with additional sick aide just in case!

I have brought sleeping pills (Sleep-eze) on every long flight but never used it since I doubt I could get a solid 6-8 hours even with the pills.

Long Flights

On long flights my nose gets dry. I have read that when the membrane gets dry it provides less protection against germs. So I always try to wet my nose every now and then.

It might sound gross but you can be discreet.

Quote:Quote:

2. Travel with nose protection.
According to the National Institutes of Health (NIH), airborne germs are one of the top-two sources of cold virus infection. You can't make sure the limited amount of air on a plane is germ-free, but you can try to prevent the germs from getting to you.

What helps: Use a saline nasal solution or nasal mist to keep your nasal passages moist (just follow the directions on the bottle), which effectively boosts your body's own germ-flushing action. Or try applying a small amount of Neosporin or petroleum jelly just inside the nostrils (use a Q-tip if your hands aren't freshly washed). Experts say the antibacterial action of Neosporin is unlikely to present much of a barrier when used in this way, but it never hurts to moisturize the inside of the nose.

The steam from hot drinks, like tea, coffee, and hot chocolate, is also an effective way to keep the mucous membranes moist. If you'd rather avoid caffeine so you can sleep on the plane, a great solution is to carry your own decaf or herbal tea bags and just ask for hot water.

One more thing, I have not ever tried this, but a gentlemen I met swears buy this. He said he doesn't eat on flights. Drinks water only. He says this fasting helps him with adjusting time zones.

Also, I saw this article about Jason Blum (does a shitload of horror movies).

Quote:Quote:

When Jason Blum and his wife flew to Morocco last year, they could have gone first class. The cost, though, was $22,000. And Blum, possibly the most profitable movie producer in Hollywood, never pays full price when a cheaper alternative will do.

Instead, Blum bought a row of seats in coach for $1,800. He obtained the measurements of the legroom void in front of these seats and had a custom, trapezoidal air mattress built for $500. He packed this contraption into his carry-on. Once airborne, he inflated it, creating a combined seat/air-mattress surface large enough to sleep next to his wife. Estimated savings: $19,700.

Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm." And the warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."

Great RVF Comments | Where Evil Resides | How to upload, etc. | New Members Read This 1 | New Members Read This 2

Long Flights

I try to NOT sleep on planes. Business class is more than I can afford ( not worth the extra $ in my opinion) so I try to travel during the day (example early morning flight US East Coast to London) then get an hotel on arrival. Else, a flight arriving very early morning in Europe (example, 7 am arrival local time is 1 am on the East Coast, so I'm just staying up a bit late (arrival time plus customs, travel to hotel.)

Inflatable pillow for my back.

My own food. Anything is better quantity/quality than airline food.

Reading light. Overhead light sucks.

Carry on only (within size limits of course.) No time wasted waiting for baggage.

Long Flights

I do 7.5 hour flights about 25 times a year. Give or take 5.

1. If it's low cost carrier take an ipad with at least 6 hours of movies.
2. Get GET GET an aisle or window seat - ask for exit row. Have you ever been stuck between two people? It sucks ass.
3. Build up tiredness - stay up the night before if it's early morning catch your ZZZs in the flight.
4. Have a small pouch to keep pens, headphones and other necessary shit like moisturiser in
5. Use moisturiser two or three times in flight - skin dries out. If you have a meeting or something after the flight it WILL make a difference
6. Wear comfortable clothes. Keep a hoody on you. It's easy to pull it over your eyes
7. Never forget a neck pillow, it makes a massive difference

Long Flights

I've flown hell hours in military transports sitting on webbing strap seats, tac flying in then jumping out at the other end.I try to remember this when I fly civie air

When I'm a long haul from Melbourne to Europe which is 20 to 24 hours flying time I look for flights less than 14 hours .So stopping in Bangkok is perfect.Then I will walk as much as possible in the airport while I wait for the connecting flight....I don't understand why people go sit down straight away after flying long haul?

On board I will get up every couple of hours do some running on the spot air squats etc to get the blood flowing.

The best thing I have discovered post long haul is using a float tank .I get bad jet lag flying from Australia but almost none flying back in..Anyway I reckon I saved 2 or so days after float tank use.Jetlag fucks my mind it feels like I'm lethargic and drunk.

Long Flights

I take phenibut or kratom before long flights, it relaxes me.

Long Flights

I love long flights to Asia. 12 hours of peace.

I'm the King of Beijing!

Long Flights

1. Tomato juice, multiple cans. For me the salt and potassium keep the body felling ok on long flights.

2. Media already downloaded on your device that does not require a connection. Movies, books, music, podcasts etc. The external memory on some android phones will do nicely.

3. Go on seatguru.com and make sure you get a good seat. Pay extra if needed.

Long Flights

I always seem to learn something new on here. Some great suggestions guys.

I just ordered the J-pillow. The only time I think I have ever slept on a long haul flight was due to passing out. Even the few times I have flown f-class I stay awake. I hope to change that as I am flying more and more, and I wish to be able to get some sleep to reduce the burden once I land.

A Taiwanese girl gave me some misting air purifiers that she swears by. Just blast it in front of your face when feeling dry and it kills germs and moistens your sinuses.

I cant sit still for more than 9 hours without getting a bit stir crazy, so I tend to break my flights up into legs less than this. Even getting up and walking around the plane I still get a bit restless. So even though layovers add time overall, at least I can post up at a lounge, stretch the legs and hopefully meet some interesting strangers.

My kindle has been one of the best travel companions ever. Bounce from book to book, genre to genre whenever I want.

My notebook and pen. When I catch just the right buzz, the plane is quiet, I seem to be able to get a good flow of ideas and can often write for hours straight.

I am open to drugs again, but my last experience was a nightmare. I fell asleep OK, but I was woken up at some point and could not get comfortable to fall asleep even though my body was in the middle of the sleeping pill cycle. I almost laid down in the fucking aisle I was so miserable.

Long Flights

Quote: (11-19-2015 06:02 PM)Green-On-GO Wrote:  

The best thing I have discovered post long haul is using a float tank .I get bad jet lag flying from Australia but almost none flying back in..Anyway I reckon I saved 2 or so days after float tank use.Jetlag fucks my mind it feels like I'm lethargic and drunk.

Can you elaborate on this? I googled float tank and I get this. This is what you mean? Thanks.

[Image: pod1.jpg]

Long Flights

Quote: (11-19-2015 07:21 PM)samsamsam Wrote:  

Quote: (11-19-2015 06:02 PM)Green-On-GO Wrote:  

Can you elaborate on this? I googled float tank and I get this. This is what you mean? Thanks.

[Image: pod1.jpg]

This looks like something fun to get in to.

[Image: banana.gif]

Long Flights

@samsamsam ..I mean when I land I hit up a Float center to recuperate. 1 hour in a float tank equates to 6 hours sleep.I use them here after a big run of night shifts..The tanks here are like the one in the picture..
I hit up a float center in San Francisco last month after a flight in from Melbourne via NZ.It really helped me tanks were old school though.When I did the same flight a number of years ago I had the worse jetlag for 4 days this time after the tank I only lost 1 day.
Time is valuable to me when I only have 2 weeks in country.
You can use Groupon to get discounts.
You don't want to get in the tank with a chick.If you soil the tank and they have to change the water the fine here is $1500 at some centers.

Joe Rogan is massively into Float tank sensory depravation.It's been a game changer for me health wise.

Long Flights

I hate flying but its faster then walking.

Flying from Colombia to Romania last summer fucked me up good. My connecting flight in Miami got delayed which made me miss all my other connecting flights.. The ended up rescheduling all my flights and I changed planes 5 times and it took over 40 hours... and they lost my luggage. During landing on the 4th flight my ears got some nasty pressure in them... and I had a terrible headache. Then I had to catch flight number 5 and during the descent the same thing happened with my ears and it was miserable. I felt like I had water in my ears for a month after then. Then 5 months after going to Europe I flew to Asia and as soon as the descent started on my first flight the pressure came back.... I feel like now every time I fly I'm going to have to deal with this Tom foolery.

An that Sir, is my rant on long flights

Bruising cervix since 96
#TeamBeard
"I just want to live out my days drinking virgin margaritas and banging virgin señoritas" - Uncle Cr33pin

Long Flights

Go through different stretch/pre-hab routines to help with discomfort, boredom, and general body maintenance.

There's plenty of things you can do even when you're sitting when it comes to wrists, fingers, forearms, ankles, neck, jaw, etc. without disturbing other passengers.

When you go to use the washroom, you can also get in some standing twists, knees to chest, hip openers, squats, etc. without the need to touch any surfaces.

People often get headaches, or pain in different areas from muscle knots, tension, etc. but fail to make the connection to mobility in their body.

Long Flights

Seconding Ambien for sleeping, get a window, and seatguru.com to make sure you get a good spot. Movies on the laptop and quality headphones for when I'm awake.

Long Flights

I think I'm one of the few people on his earth that is not affected by jet lag.

I usually drink a lot of water and sleep while listening to classical music.

A man is only as faithful as his options-Chris Rock

Long Flights

Brush your teeth and wash your face throughout the flight, especially about an hour before your land. Get some deodorant, some kind of mint spray and get off the plane smelling fresh. I personally use this, which just rolls on a pretty good smelling smell which refreshes the mind.
http://www.aesop.com/usa/packs-and-gifts...erapy.html

Makes a world of difference to your consciousness when you are in a new land.

I have small packed wet wipes that I use throughout the flight on my face, hands, etc.

Long Flights

I pop an imodium, just so I don't have to shit on the flight.

Always carry on:
- travel pillow
- eye mask/ear plugs
- moisturiser/eye drops/mini deodorant
- change of clothes
- hypnosis tunes on my iphone
- extra water
- lots of pens (useful for disembarkation cards at arrival, can 'rent' out)

Long Flights

+1 on change of clothes. If the airline loses your bag for the day you are stuck in the same shit for another day.