rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Hosting a foreign language exchange night in your city

I have been to a few different set ups in the past few months and they seem to be making some good profit. The concept seems easy and since it isn't your physical property the start up costs would be minimal.

From observation it looks like you:

-Approach a bar that doesn't have much going on and ask them if you can rent the spot out for a Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday night.

-Hire your own security, bar staff, DJ and photographer.

-Set up seating zones with all the popular languages in your city. For the most popular have different levels: beginner, intermediate and advanced.

-Start early 5/6 and then have nightclub style music 9/10. Charge people arriving late a certain amount of the door extra. Serve cocktails and bottles. Keep the drink options simple and profitable.

-Plaster it on social media and start a Facebook group with pics and news.

-Insurance costs too and perhaps a city license?

I ran similar events for my University sports clubs and although the profit went to the club we always did well. I don't see the start up costs being above $3k and you could dial it in a bit every week. A decent sized city with a few Universities and lots of foreigners should have a solid demand for this.

What are peoples thoughts on this?

I've been thinking of doing something similar for a while now though for me it was a rave styled deal. I would definitely recommend it and network locally with people for the security and DJ.

Try to meet up with guys who are aspiring to DJ professionally and hit them up as they are cheaper and bonus points if they make their own music.

Same deal with security. Just hit up guys you lift with and ask if they would be down for that and they might even do it free. I can talk more specifics over PM as I have my own plans and details for a similar deal.

Also would recommend making it BYOB and renting another place out as that could help with costs. The art scene here usually does something like that. Usually they just buy beer and everyone else brings their own shit.

Edit: as in another place instead of a bar. If it's BYOB you could even host it at someone's house/apartment and make it a house party. There are a lot of cheaper venues than a bar. This helps as a lot of Au Pars tend to be under 21 especially German and French ones.

"Until the day when God shall deign to reveal the future to man, all human wisdom is summed up in these two words,— 'Wait and hope'."- Alexander Dumas, "The Count of Monte Cristo"

Fashion/Style Lounge

Social Circle Game

Team Skinny Girls with Pretty Faces
King of Sockpuppets

Sockpuppet List

I would love if someone with some US/Canada bar experience could give their thoughts on the cost and logistics.

Cost of venue -Small bar 100/200 people
Insurance for the night - covered by venue or you?
License to host - is this already covered by the bar or would it have to be extra
Staff - Can you bring your own people or would the bar have to use current staff (again insurance factors)
Drink material - can you sell your own liquor that you purchased elsewhere

If you tried to do this in Croatia, the regulations would murder you.

"Imagine" by HCE | Hitler reacts to Battle of Montreal | An alternative use for squid that has never crossed your mind before

Coming soon to an Edmonton dive bar on Whyte Avenue: MAMACITA MONDAYS!

Quote: (05-27-2015 03:05 PM)scotian Wrote:  

Coming soon to an Edmonton dive bar on Whyte Avenue: MAMACITA MONDAYS!

Ill have a newfie section where you can learn English

There's already a company that does that around the world. Started as a small operation in France is now a global thing with events around the world. I attended the one in Toronto a few times a few years ago. There was a lot of people, lots of FOB girls. This was my go to place for sweet foreign girls.

Google Polyglot meet ups

http://www.meetup.com/World-Travel-Adven...222671077/

I just noticed there was a Japanese meet up tonight! Damn!

VP can you give a run down on the cost (if any), the set up and if there was any music or partying. I am looking at this mostly from a business prospective so anything you think is relevant to that would be great.