rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

The aftermath of twitter outrage mobs (from NY Times)

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/15/magazi...share&_r=0

Several stories discussed at length on Everything Else are mentioned here. Dongle guy who got fired, Sam Biddle and more.

Quote:Quote:

In the early days of Twitter, I was a keen shamer. When newspaper columnists made racist or homophobic statements, I joined the pile-on. Sometimes I led it. The journalist A. A. Gill once wrote a column about shooting a baboon on safari in Tanzania: “I’m told they can be tricky to shoot. They run up trees, hang on for grim life. They die hard, baboons. But not this one. A soft-nosed .357 blew his lungs out.” Gill did the deed because he “wanted to get a sense of what it might be like to kill someone, a stranger.”

I was among the first people to alert social media. (This was because Gill always gave my television documentaries bad reviews, so I tended to keep a vigilant eye on things he could be got for.) Within minutes, it was everywhere. Amid the hundreds of congratulatory messages I received, one stuck out: “Were you a bully at school?”

I wasn't aware Sam Biddle had put out an apology post for fomenting Twitter outrage mobs. It must have got lost in the pre-Xmas lull.

http://gawker.com/justine-sacco-is-good-...1653022326

Interestingly, it seems Adria Richards regrets nothing. All she can muster is feeling sorry for the consequences she personally suffered and blame others.

The woman who took the photograph, Adria Richards, soon felt the wrath of the crowd herself. The man responsible for the dongle joke had posted about losing his job on Hacker News, an online forum popular with developers. This led to a backlash from the other end of the political spectrum. So-called men’s rights activists and anonymous trolls bombarded Richards with death threats on Twitter and Facebook. Someone tweeted Richards’s home address along with a photograph of a beheaded woman with duct tape over her mouth. Fearing for her life, she left her home, sleeping on friends’ couches for the remainder of the year.

Next, her employer’s website went down. Someone had launched a DDoS attack, which overwhelms a site’s servers with repeated requests. SendGrid, her employer, was told the attacks would stop if Richards was fired. The next day she was publicly let go.

“I cried a lot during this time, journaled and escaped by watching movies,” she later said to me in an email. “SendGrid threw me under the bus. I felt betrayed. I felt abandoned. I felt ashamed. I felt rejected. I felt alone.

Not surprised that Adria Richards' response is totally "me, myself, and I". Realizing that there are bigger things in the world is too high of thinking for her.

Conclusion: mobs are only bad when they target feminists.

"Imagine" by HCE | Hitler reacts to Battle of Montreal | An alternative use for squid that has never crossed your mind before

This paragraph is about that chick who tweeted some stuff and then was on a plane for 11 hours and landed to a world of hurt. Her aunt seems to have a red pill view of the world. Need more women like that who know right frok wrong.

Her extended family in South Africa were African National Congress supporters — the party of Nelson Mandela. They were longtime activists for racial equality. When Justine arrived at the family home from the airport, one of the first things her aunt said to her was: “This is not what our family stands for. And now, by association, you’ve almost tarnished the family.”

Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm." And the warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."

Women and children can be careless, but not men - Don Corleone

Great RVF Comments | Where Evil Resides | How to upload, etc. | New Members Read This 1 | New Members Read This 2

I thought this was a really interesting article, and - considering the medium and the small amount of space devoted to it - I was actually fairly happy with how they treated the Adria Richards story. They give the guy who got fired his full say, didn't publish his name, made it clear he was just quietly joking around with his buddy, and let everyone know that Richards basically bullied him out of his job.

Granted, maybe my biases are coloring my perception of the tone, but for shits and giggles I just checked Richards twitter account and she's incredibly pissed, so you know it can't be too bad.

Quote: (02-14-2015 10:54 AM)Handsome Creepy Eel Wrote:  

They definitely focused on women, but the conclusion I got was more: mobs are bad when they shame politically incorrect speech.

As somebody who is extremely un-PC and so has to censor himself constantly in the office, I'm completely onboard with this article. I wish I was in the position of Roosh or some of the other guys and could say whatever the hell I wanted, but one overheard office joke could earn me my walking papers in the climate we live in.

Quote: (02-14-2015 11:17 AM)Seamus Wrote:  

I thought this was a really interesting article, and - considering the medium and the small amount of space devoted to it - I was actually fairly happy with how they treated the Adria Richards story. They give the guy who got fired his full say, didn't publish his name, made it clear he was just quietly joking around with his buddy, and let everyone know that Richards basically bullied him out of his job.

Granted, maybe my biases are coloring my perception of the tone, but for shits and giggles I just checked Richards twitter account and she's incredibly pissed, so you know it can't be too bad.

They definitely focused on women, but the conclusion I got was more: mobs are bad when they shame politically incorrect speech.

As somebody who is extremely un-PC and so has to censor himself constantly in the office, I'm completely onboard with this article. I wish I was in the position of Roosh or some of the other guys and could say whatever the hell I wanted, but this could easily happen to me.

Just checked that Richards chicks twitter. She emphasizes self awareness in her banner. But no self awareness about her righteousness or victimless. If she is truly one of those transformational.types she would know.if you look.for bad you only see bad. Self awareness my hairy ass.
https://mobile.twitter.com/adriarichards

Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm." And the warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."

Women and children can be careless, but not men - Don Corleone

Great RVF Comments | Where Evil Resides | How to upload, etc. | New Members Read This 1 | New Members Read This 2

The mob is dangerous and unpredictable. One you lead might turn on you or another might come out of nowhere and tear you to pieces.

I'd say this message needs to be spread far and wide so there might be less of this bullshit, but I doubt any of the SJWs would get it. They are fundamentally dishonest, solipsisitic, and unwilling to heed any advice that doesn't sound good to them right off the bat.

"Men willingly believe what they wish." - Julius Caesar, De Bello Gallico, Book III, Ch. 18

I only have sympathy for the developers who made the dongle-joke.
Everyone else got what they deserved.

Freedom of speech doesn't mean freedom of consequence.

If you start talking shit at a bar, and someone decks you - that's what you get.
Know your role.

WIA

Quote: (02-14-2015 01:41 PM)WestIndianArchie Wrote:  

I only have sympathy for the developers who made the dongle-joke.
Everyone else got what they deserved.

Freedom of speech doesn't mean freedom of consequence.

If you start talking shit at a bar, and someone decks you - that's what you get.
Know your role.

WIA

The dongle joke was harmless & done in private while the bitch turned around and got 2 men fired. She got what she deserved.

[Image: 200.gif]

As far as the other cases go - uttering Racist unfunny statements (it wasn't done during stand-up comedy) or tweeting about having fun shooting baboons (just for sport and to find out what it feels like to kill (?!) - not food) - well you can expect to get a backlash from that if you are so stupid to publish it for the whole world to see.

Anything can go viral like that in our times. If Roosh ever tweeted out things like that he would be crucified on Jezebel and maybe even on mainstream media within a week. Such statements can even cost 'sphere guys clients and thus money. You simply cannot be stupid in our world as anything can go viral.

Quote: (02-14-2015 11:27 AM)samsamsam Wrote:  

Quote: (02-14-2015 11:17 AM)Seamus Wrote:  

As somebody who is extremely un-PC and so has to censor himself constantly in the office, I'm completely onboard with this article. I wish I was in the position of Roosh or some of the other guys and could say whatever the hell I wanted, but this could easily happen to me.

Just checked that Richards chicks twitter. She emphasizes self awareness in her banner. But no self awareness about her righteousness or victimless. If she is truly one of those transformational.types she would know.if you look.for bad you only see bad. Self awareness my hairy ass.
https://mobile.twitter.com/adriarichards
I know this is a pile on but Adria is a bitch and she knew good and well what she was doing when she hung those dudes out to dry. She was trying to see how much power she had and it got turned on her. I have had to work with these types of bitches, these "I have the right to never be offended" types. Her firing made my day! I was so happy , it was like watching a bully get his ass whipped by a nerd he picked on. Could not have happened to a better cunt!

Delicious Tacos is the voice of my generation....

This is an encouraging push-back to this horrible trend. The comments are also heartening.

[Image: attachment.jpg24674]   

Tuthmosis Twitter | IRT Twitter

I tweeted the guy who wrote the article to see if he felt remorse for his self-serving campaign on a man who rated his work poorly. He felt no remorse. What a crazy world we live in.

There's nothing wrong with hunting even if you're not eating the animal yourself. Someone will always claim the meat and in the rare instances that no one does, scavenger species are fed.

Quote: (02-14-2015 08:06 PM)TonySandos Wrote:  

I tweeted the guy who wrote the article to see if he felt remorse for his self-serving campaign on a man who rated his work poorly. He felt no remorse. What a crazy world we live in.

Jon Ronson is one of my favourite UK writer-journalists - like Louis Theroux but the inadequacies aren't an act.

His whole journalistic output is based around his neurotic behaviour, paranoid fantasies, and how he manages to hold mutually contradictory opinions.

That he doesn't feel remorse for having a go at AA Gill, despite knowing the damage that twitter mobs can do, is at least consistent with his normal behavour.

"I'd hate myself if I had that kind of attitude, if I were that weak." - Arnold

Quote: (02-17-2015 04:21 PM)Benoit Wrote:  

Quote: (02-14-2015 08:06 PM)TonySandos Wrote:  

Jon Ronson is one of my favourite UK writer-journalists - like Louis Theroux but the inadequacies aren't an act.

His whole journalistic output is based around his neurotic behaviour, paranoid fantasies, and how he manages to hold mutually contradictory opinions.

That he doesn't feel remorse for having a go at AA Gill, despite knowing the damage that twitter mobs can do, is at least consistent with his normal behavour.

I read Ronson's whole reference to the A.A. Gill tweet as showing how his thinking on twitter shaming has evolved since the early days, and how he now questions his past behavior. I think the remorse (or at least uneasiness with his actions) is implied.

Thanks for the background Benoit.

I don't think so Seamus. His reply to me was either shameless or tongue in cheek. From what Benoit mentioned, I now assumed in was a paranoid infusion of both.

I wrote a comment at that article yesterday (I don't know if it was approved):

You wanted the Culture Wars. Enjoy the Left Singularity. Enjoy the Time of the Orc.

---

The thing about these social justice mobs is that they are effective because their targets are usually men who are over 30 years old. Men of my generation and older still play by the old rules, i.e. they don't want to be socially ostracised, don't want to be tarred with various "-ist" names, they want to argue in good faith, they don't want to engage in witch hunts of their own, etc. They're still fighting with the gloves on, even though their opponents have taken theirs off and grabbed a broken beer bottle. Gen Y are a little bit more savvy about what the new rules are. The generation after Gen Y is going to be composed of fully-fledged Culture Warriors. Many will be complete pussies, of course, but those who aren't are going to be tough as nails. Not only will they not give a shit if someone labels them an "-ist", they'll wear it with pride, and even go out of their way to antagonise the SJWs. Furthermore, due to the changing nature of work, i.e. a lot of them going location independent and/or working for themselves, it won't be possible to hurt them financially.

These SJW idiots will reap the whirlwind in the next generation. If they think Roosh is a problem, wait until they see the 100 little Rooshs in the up and coming generation. Just as there is a whole generation or two of young men who have seen their fathers, uncles, etc. get raped in divorce court, that generation has seen men in the public sphere get lynched by the mob, and they're going to react accordingly (though not as the SJWs would hope).

Quote: (02-17-2015 08:56 PM)Feisbook Control Wrote:  

I wrote a comment at that article yesterday (I don't know if it was approved):

You wanted the Culture Wars. Enjoy the Left Singularity. Enjoy the Time of the Orc.

---

The thing about these social justice mobs is that they are effective because their targets are usually men who are over 30 years old. Men of my generation and older still play by the old rules, i.e. they don't want to be socially ostracised, don't want to be tarred with various "-ist" names, they want to argue in good faith, they don't want to engage in witch hunts of their own, etc. They're still fighting with the gloves on, even though their opponents have taken theirs off and grabbed a broken beer bottle. Gen Y are a little bit more savvy about what the new rules are. The generation after Gen Y is going to be composed of fully-fledged Culture Warriors. Many will be complete pussies, of course, but those who aren't are going to be tough as nails. Not only will they not give a shit if someone labels them an "-ist", they'll wear it with pride, and even go out of their way to antagonise the SJWs. Furthermore, due to the changing nature of work, i.e. a lot of them going location independent and/or working for themselves, it won't be possible to hurt them financially.

These SJW idiots will reap the whirlwind in the next generation. If they think Roosh is a problem, wait until they see the 100 little Rooshs in the up and coming generation. Just as there is a whole generation or two of young men who have seen their fathers, uncles, etc. get raped in divorce court, that generation has seen men in the public sphere get lynched by the mob, and they're going to react accordingly (though not as the SJWs would hope).

Reminds me of these lyrics from Lamb of God.

Stick to your guns
The difference is mine are loaded.
Taste the sting of your arrogance
Stuck in this screeching bitch called life
Drop the coins and send you to Charon.
I will have my vengeance
In this life or the next.
Well, I've got a sucker to punch
And a back to stab
A head to kick in
And a throat to toslit.

I've got a job to do
Harsh and unrepentant.

Acrimonious and sanctified
Call me what you will.

This is the attitude already donned by some, but the future will be full of it, used by both sides.

Chicago Tribe.

My podcast with H3ltrsk3ltr and Cobra.

Snowplow is uber deep cover as an alpha dark triad player red pill awoken gorilla minded narc cop. -Kaotic

Seen a Femen rent-a-mob lately? They piss in public, simulate self buggery with crucifixes at the Vatican, physically assault people et cetera but this is clearly nothing compared to a frump being trolled online.