rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Spirulina Blue Green Algae: Amazing Supplement

Hey guys, after discussing probiotics and why they are effective, I've decided to divulge one of my not-so secret secrets upon this forum.

Spirulina, or a class of blue green algae, has been a great supplement which I've added to my Zinc, ACV and Vitamin B/D/K and I've began to notice great benefits.

It's a relatively cheap compound which you can easily find on amazon for $10-$20. Sometimes the tablets do taste like the inside of a fish tank (it's freaking algae), but nothing that is a deal breaker.

I'll first start by touching upon the things which you wouldn't normally be able to notice but are slightly tangible.

Inflammation Reduction and Heart Health

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19298191

Quote:Quote:

There are several reports suggesting that Spirulina (Arthrospira) may have a beneficial effect in the prevention of cardiovascular diseases... In humans, Spirulina maxima intake decreases blood pressure and plasma lipid concentrations, especially triacylglycerols and low-density lipoprotein-cholesterol, and indirectly modifies the total cholesterol and high-density lipoprotein-cholesterol values.

Basically, this compound has been in numerous studies relating it to overall heart health and inflammation reduction. I can't really speak on these effects (I'm quite young to experience heart problems), but I'm sure some of the older forum members would like to get their hands on a non-prescription which prevents the onset of heart disease. It also seems to reduce Low Density Lipoprotein Levels in the blood (bad cholesterol, or LDL) while also slightly raising High Density Lipoproteins, or good cholesterol (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23754631).

While these effects are all fine and good, most of us want more tangible effects that will have an impact on daily life. Fret not, spirulina has those effects too.

Power Output and Muscle Endurance

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16944194
http://journals.sfu.ca/ijmbs/index.html/i...Article/51

Spirulina for 8 weeks is effective in increasing the isometric muscle strength and isometric muscle endurance. Spirulina supplementation with training was found to be better than the spirulina only and training only in increasing muscle strength but no group was found to be better in increasing muscular endurance...

These results suggest that ingestion of S. platensis showed preventive effect of the skeletal muscle damage and that probably led to postponement of the time of exhaustion during the all-out exercise.

As you can see, spirulina algae has a great, tangible effect on power output and a somewhat middling but effective impact on endurance training. Need to put another 20lbs(~9kg) on that squat bar? Want to finally hit 225lbs (100kg) on bench? Look no further than spirulina. The next effect is the most surprising...

Allergies and Nasal Congestion

If you're a habitual sneezer, this is where I strongly suggest taking this product.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18343939

Spirulina consumption significantly improved the symptoms and physical findings compared with placebo (P < 0.001***) including nasal discharge, sneezing, nasal congestion and itching. Spirulina is clinically effective on allergic rhinitis when compared with placebo. Further studies should be performed in order to clarify the mechanism of this effect.

Having a pubmed study say that is remarkable for an herbal/dietary supplement. Instead of masking the symptoms with allergy medicine and perhaps lowering your immune system, spirulina treats allergies naturally. Zyrtec and Claritin produced ADHD in me as a kid, so I never trusted those products and endured the allergies until I found this.

It truly was a lifesaver.

So in conclusion, Spirulina Blue-Green Algae is a must have for all forum members who are looking to improve overall health, reduce allergies and get stronger. In another study, it also reduced arsenic levels in the blood! (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16615668). So unlike other supps which "detox" you, this actually removes harmful chemicals from your body when paired with zinc.

Personally, after I started taking spirulina, I noticed a subtle yet noticeable effect on my skin; it was much more shiny and my complexion was slightly darker. This effect was especially noticeable in the winter. Also, the allergy aspect of spirulina saved my ass from sneezing fits in the spring.

After about a year of supplementation it's safe to say that this is a great product which comes for cheap, and every forum member should have it in their cabinet. I personally bought the NOW brand as I trust their products after trying a few.

Take about 1-3g per day (1-3 tabs) and try to stomach it. Sometimes it can be difficult, but it is well worth it.

Also I forgot to mention there are minimal side effects, although you should check your medications as it does have a noticeable effect on the immune system.

Good thread. I have been off and on Spirulina for years now. I find it quite expensive so I have never been able to stay consistent with it due to its costs.

But it is on the list of "god" foods. Meaning that is is a true powerhouse superfood that will stand the test of time beyond gimmicky fads and hype like some superfoods do (Acai for example).

It is a complete protein, I believe something of close to 70% of it is protein and it has a complete rounded amino profile.

You have to take it in super doses though (which is where the cost thing gets you). Ideally 12grams at minimum is suggested to get the most benefits with a good range of 20-25 grams per day which is a about a ounce. You will be popping pills all day long as a pill usually is about a gram.

You can get it in a powder which I did do for a bit to cut down on costs. But.. yikes.... The powder tastes like donkey ass and is very potent and strong tasting and will mask it in smoothies and shit you put it in. I have no idea how you could mask the taste of this stuff but making a drink bomb with 15 grams of the stuff and taking a shot of it a day would be the best way to get into you.

I take hemp powder/seeds/protein instead right now. Its more easy to stomach and is cheaper.

I would still take Spurlinia for its benefits in B-vitamins and Carotenes (actually was looking into purchasing some online today, this post was a convenient reminder to get back on it).

The carotenes are likely the reason for the pigmentation in your skin OP as they re-enforce blood vessels and cells. I have said once before that especially for my white brothers the ideal skin tone, that is healthy has a little bit of a pigmentation in it. Not looking like a tan, but a pigment glow, not a pale sickely look.

@kosko

What brand do you normally purchase? I heard about this supplement a while back but when I did some research on it apparently a lot of it is contaminated by microcystins and BMAA

Quote: (11-15-2014 09:06 AM)Little Dark Wrote:  
This thread is not going in the direction I was hoping for.

Quote: (02-13-2015 05:11 PM)Oz. Wrote:  

@kosko

What brand do you normally purchase?

NOW Foods just like OP Aer went with. Its a good quality brand.

Sorry I'm on mobile published post before completing my question, just edited if you could take a look at it again

I mix two tables spoons of the Hawaiian variety which is supposed to be the best with my protein supplement each morning after PT and after gym sessions. I'm not sure how I've benefitted from it healthwise but (TMI alert)
my shit's been looking mighty green lately.

Quote: (02-13-2015 05:53 PM)choichoi Wrote:  

I mix two tables spoons of the Hawaiian variety which is supposed to be the best with my protein supplement each morning after PT and after gym sessions. I'm not sure how I've benefitted from it healthwise but (TMI alert)
my shit's been looking mighty green lately.

I don't really take it for the protein since I only take about 3g a day. I take it for the effect on lifting which is pretty tangible. It increases power output and I've noticed a bit of an increase on my lifts recently.

What kind of cost are we talking here?

Team visible roots
"The Carousel Stops For No Man" - Tuthmosis
Quote: (02-11-2019 05:10 PM)Atlanta Man Wrote:  
I take pussy how it comes -but I do now prefer it shaved low at least-you cannot eat what you cannot see.

Quote: (02-18-2015 11:53 AM)DJ-Matt Wrote:  

What kind of cost are we talking here?

http://www.amazon.com/Now-Foods-Spirulin...+spirulina

If you take three of these a day, it's going to last about 165 days give or take, or about 5 months.

$17 for 5 months.

Negligible.

Quote: (02-13-2015 05:15 PM)kosko Wrote:  

Quote: (02-13-2015 05:11 PM)Oz. Wrote:  

@kosko

What brand do you normally purchase?

NOW Foods just like OP Aer went with. Its a good quality brand.

Thanks for the rec. This organic powder is less than a buck more than non-organic at Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Now-Foods-ORGANIC...GR1U4?th=1

Will try adding this to my morning smoothies for extra protein, immune system boost, detox, and help with sinuses.

I run it when I detox and usually mix it in smoothies. A good reason for doing it while detoxing, is because if you are trying to detox pretty hard, you will lose vitamins and minerals. Spirulina is clean and full of vitamins, so you can keep yourself from becoming deficient during a detox, by eating/drinking/supplementing it.

I never thought to take it while doing a bulk up or cut down cycle though. Maybe because I used to take Animal Pak or Double X vitamins whenever I did that, Spirulina would just be expensive poop in that case.

Dating Guide for Mainland China Datasheet
TravelerKai's Martial Arts Datasheet
1 John 4:20 - If anyone says, I love God, and hates (detests, abominates) his brother [in Christ], he is a liar; for he who does not love his brother, whom he has seen, cannot love God, Whom he has not seen.

Spirulina powder seems nasty on its own, but when I mix it in my protein shake I can't taste it at all, in fact it might even improve the taste.

For the record my shake has whey protein (chocolate), hemp protein (vanilla), berry antioxidant power, and a lil bit of peanut butter. Right now I mix a teaspoon of the Spirulina powder but I'll probably do more.

I have been reading elsewhere on spirulina. I'm not normally too picky, but apparently a lot of it is sourced from China and India. The Chinese sourced product especially may be contaminated with heavy metals because of the water supply there. May be worth paying extra for Hawaiian sourced.

Anyone know if Nutrix is a good brand for Hawaiian Spirulina? The big brands like NOW and Source Naturals dont tell you the source. Looking at this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hawaian-Spirulin...SwYIxYAU6b

The organic NOW in post 11 is sourced from India.

Does anyone know what kind of side effects it might have?

I don't take any medication or supplements besides vitamins.

How does this compare to Chlorella? Has someone A/Bd the two and can break it down?

Either help with hangovers?

I just ordered spirulina and will let you know. I googled chlorella and it sounds similar. Consensus seems to be that Spirulina has more every day nutrition and stuff that is good for you. Chlorella is good too, and has some different stuff. If I can tolerate the spirulina I think I will try chlorella, maybe use them on alternate days. I subscribe to the view that variety is important. For example, nutritionally kale is "better" than spinach or collards, but I alternate because there is probably something in spinach that kale doesn't have. As for chlorella/spirulina, there are some companies that offer blends. Its probably better to just try some different brands and do your own blend.

As for hangovers, I don't know. Both are supposed to benefit chronic inflammation and detox your body, especially heavy metals. Hangovers are mostly dehydration and I doubt either would have much effect. The detox effects is a slow acting process - the heavy metals and toxins bind to these and are eliminated by your body. The process is gradual and is not something that works in a few hours.

i mix the powder in the shake with aloe, green tea, BCAA, lemon, and I swear it tastes like those one-a-day pills for kids.

Bumping this thread since I recently managed to find some cheap spirulina by buying it from the source. Anyone have any long term experimentation with it?

Also why does it smell like death?

I use the powder in my morning smoothie. It greatly reduced my seasonal allergies. In a smoothie, it doesn't have much taste but it changes the texture slightly to where everything is slightly scummy, sticks to the glass, etc. No big deal.

Spirulina is a hybrid.

Seamoss is natural and more beneficial for your body.

/thread

I'm going to spend 2018 kicking a whole lot of game for you guys interested in self-healing.

Quote: (01-24-2018 05:14 PM)Ballr Wrote:  

Spirulina is a hybrid.

Seamoss is natural and more beneficial for your body.

/thread

I'm going to spend 2018 kicking a whole lot of game for you guys interested in self-healing.

That's cool and it would be appreciated, but, if you already have the knowledge on certain things don't just post a sentence about it.

I'm taking the pill form, the daily dose is supposed to be 6 pills but I started with just 3.

I'm also interested in buying Spirulina in powder form. I know that it smells like death [Image: icon_lol.gif] so I'm more curious how it will taste when I blend it with my oats and fruits with cacao powder pudding. Will the latter ingredients mask the taste of Spirulina?

Also is it only useful for people who do more regular exercise and detox or is it suitable for someone like me who walks a lot throughout the day and does a bit of body weight exercise during the weekends? I do study a lot and I'm looking for something to let me recover faster so is it going to set me at least a millimeter ahead of what I was before?