rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Guys at gym slamming weights near you

Do you find it super annoying when someone near you drops his weights or machine hard and makes lots of noise? Nerve wrecking.

I noticed that in most cases the guys doing that dont look like the type that is getting any pussy. Well adjusted guys do not seem to do that.

They generally seem to have a chip on their shoulder. Trying to make everyone see or hear them. Look at me I am some badass. Too good to put weights away etc. It is annoying, but worse are the grunters/screamers. It is not a biggie (to me) if they are going heavy but not when the weight is really light.

I will admit, that when I spot, I get a little loud. I just try to be positive and supportive if they are doing something heavy. I am not as loud when they are doing light weight. So I am guilty of being possibly anooying, but if a guy is pressing 225 on the bench, I can respect the effort it might have taken to get to that. I know some of you guys crush a lot more. But 225 is sort of the dividing line at my gym.

Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm." And the warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."

Women and children can be careless, but not men - Don Corleone

Great RVF Comments | Where Evil Resides | How to upload, etc. | New Members Read This 1 | New Members Read This 2

One point, on behalf of the fatbros like me out there: if you're only just getting into exercise or weights, they might well be crashing the weights or grunting because they're actually putting all the effort they can into it. I grunt like a pig, and I'm forever apologising to either my trainer or people around for doing that - but they've all said it's not an issue...

Remissas, discite, vivet.
God save us from people who mean well. -storm

Quote: (10-10-2014 09:05 PM)ashraf Wrote:  

Do you find it super annoying when someone near you drops his weights or machine hard and makes lots of noise? Nerve wrecking.

I noticed that in most cases the guys doing that dont look like the type that is getting any pussy. Well adjusted guys do not seem to do that.

I do it all the time at local CrossFit box. It's impossible not to if you are doing it for real.

Next time try to go or one rep max of clean and jerk and NOT drop the bar from overhead. Good luck with that.

Certain exercises like a one rep clean and jerk make sense. Guys bouncing deadlifts 6 inches off the floor to momentum lift, not so much.

Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm." And the warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."

Great RVF Comments | Where Evil Resides | How to upload, etc. | New Members Read This 1 | New Members Read This 2

Yes, there is a lot of this sort of antics. Excessive breathing, gasping, and associated histrionics.

Gym attention whoring.

If the sounds of people exerting themselves offend you, maybe Planet fitness would be a better gym for you.

Quote: (10-10-2014 09:49 PM)Vroom Wrote:  

If the sounds of people exerting themselves offend you, maybe Planet fitness would be a better gym for you.

I don't think that is the point he is making. To me, it is just that everyone seems to think they are in their living room doing whatever they want. It is totally fine to release some noise, etc. Everyone does it, I think it has been proven to allow someone to perform better, get better results.

But some dudes act like they are getting assaulted based on the noise they are making.

Attention whoring is annoying, but whatever, I lift with earbuds in anyway.

Now, I've almost been hit by dumbbells before when idiots tossed them aside at the end of their set with no regard for the other lifters. Like 75+ pound dumbbells that would seriously hurt me. People who do that should be beat with a hose and banned from the gym.

Saw a guy pulling weight off the bar on the squat rack. I think he had 3 plates on each side. He took off all 3 on one side and the bar flipped over and almost tagged a guy. Would have been serious injury or death possibly.

[Image: HN6BGNa.gif]

Bruising cervix since 96
#TeamBeard
"I just want to live out my days drinking virgin margaritas and banging virgin señoritas" - Uncle Cr33pin

Quote: (10-10-2014 09:25 PM)Paracelsus Wrote:  

One point, on behalf of the fatbros

[Image: powerclean.gif]

I agree with what you are saying. I'm very sensitive to loud noises so I can't stand weights slamming on the ground. Nor can I stand the grunting.

Quote: (10-10-2014 09:19 PM)samsamsam Wrote:  

They generally seem to have a chip on their shoulder. Trying to make everyone see or hear them. Look at me I am some badass. Too good to put weights away etc. It is annoying, but worse are the grunters/screamers. It is not a biggie (to me) if they are going heavy but not when the weight is really light.

I will admit, that when I spot, I get a little loud. I just try to be positive and supportive if they are doing something heavy. I am not as loud when they are doing light weight. So I am guilty of being possibly anooying, but if a guy is pressing 225 on the bench, I can respect the effort it might have taken to get to that. I know some of you guys crush a lot more. But 225 is sort of the dividing line at my gym.

225 is a benchmark no pun. that's why NFL teams use it to gauge strength for players each season. For instance, there's tackles that can put up 225 30+ times full range, that's fucking strong and powerful as hell. I tend to get loudest on leg day. biggest muscles, highest weight, loudest grunts.

There's this Asian dude who sees me put up big weight sometimes, and any time I get near him he stars grunting, even if it's 80 lbs on a cable pull down machine and his 3rd rep.., as if to project to me specifically that he's a strong guy too. Stupid peacocking insecurities.

If you never make a sound lifting you feel you have to make just to achieve a final rep or tow, you're probably not pushing yourself very hard.

I always get startled when someone is deadlifting 300+ lbs and drops the bar on each rep... shakes the damn foundation of concrete. If anything I use the aggressive sounds of others to additionally motivate myself.

Quote: (10-10-2014 10:32 PM)samsamsam Wrote:  

Saw a guy pulling weight off the bar on the squat rack. I think he had 3 plates on each side. He took off all 3 on one side and the bar flipped over and almost tagged a guy. Would have been serious injury or death possibly.

A 20 yr old kid at my gym came in regularly and put anywhere between 405-495 on the bar in the squat rack and did little quarter rep squats really shallow, just enough to activate quads and back up. I always thought it was silly but im sure he probably read online it was a way to increase his full range squat or something.

One day he put on 455 lbs. took 3 steps back, paused for a sec, and the entire bar fell off his shoulders and he tried holding on so it pulled him back quickly with it. He had no end clips on, all weight went rolling and flopping all over, the bar catapulted into the air and hit a ceiling tile, It was a huge calamity.

This jackass almost killed 2 people near him and himself, and gets mad at himself, so what's he do? Rebuilds the bar with the same weight, does 2 reps and leaves the gym. He was all of 5'7" 145 lbs. Real badass let me tell ya.

Quote: (10-11-2014 12:25 PM)Ingocnito Wrote:  

Quote: (10-10-2014 10:32 PM)samsamsam Wrote:  

A 20 yr old kid at my gym came in regularly and put anywhere between 405-495 on the bar in the squat rack and did little quarter rep squats really shallow, just enough to activate quads and back up. I always thought it was silly but im sure he probably read online it was a way to increase his full range squat or something.

One day he put on 455 lbs. took 3 steps back, paused for a sec, and the entire bar fell off his shoulders and he tried holding on so it pulled him back quickly with it. He had no end clips on, all weight went rolling and flopping all over, the bar catapulted into the air and hit a ceiling tile, It was a huge calamity.

This jackass almost killed 2 people near him and himself, and gets mad at himself, so what's he do? Rebuilds the bar with the same weight, does 2 reps and leaves the gym. He was all of 5'7" 145 lbs. Real badass let me tell ya.

[Image: laugh4.gif]

I try to be more considerate and not grunt so much when other people are in the gym. However, sometimes I can't hold it in. And I always lift to set a new record each time I go into the gym.

I'll admit, sometimes I let the weights crash down as well. It's usually when I do standing dumbell shoulder press. I just physically can't lower them to the ground after my last set. I have to let them fall. But I always make sure nobody is near me. Our gym also has one of those rubber carpet things which muffles the noise.

On a side note, has anyone ever lifted so hard that they let go a huge, loud fart in the middle of a set? That's the most embarrassing shit ever.

I don't really care what others do in the gym. I'm very anti social in the gym and I scowl a lot and usually have my earphones in. As long as they are not doing something dangerous, I don't give a fcuk and I just do my routine and get out.

I used to workout with a buddy who used to howl a lot of obscenities on the last rep of each difficult set. If we were doing curls and he was trying to finish his last rep, he would say something like: "Oh you fcuking whore!" and then let the weights fall to the padded floor with a loud crunch. It was a rather posh gym and had a mixture of patrons including lizards. Some guys would chuckle and glance quickly at us but none made any fuss.

OUR NEW BLOG!

http://repstylez.com

My NEW TRAVEL E-BOOK - DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - A RED CARPET AFFAIR

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K53LVR8

Love 'em or leave 'em but we can't live without lizardsssss..

An Ode To Lizards

It's distracting when I'm focusing on my workout and some guy beside me is bouncing the bar off the floor every deadlift, but I'd never say anything. It's a bitch of a lift, and you're in a gym, not a library. I just turn up my music and do my thing.

But when I see people do stupid shit like repeatedly letting the weights drop after doing triceps pushdowns on a machine, I have no problem telling them off. There's no reason for it other than to draw attention, and it's annoying as hell

Kind of like these guys?

It is annoying but at the end of the day its all about you and worrying about your own workout.

Sometimes I blame the gym instead of the person because the appropriate square footage needed for good layouts isn't present. That said I've found there are assholes everywhere. On the road, at work, and even the gym.

A long time ago I remember my Dad took me to his gym and said he liked it because they don't let women work out there. No women attention whoring meant less men attention whoring.

what's wrong with grunting at the gym ? It's not a fuckin library guys.

No ugly women, just lazy women.

My post got slightly misinterpreted, my problem is with those that slam the machines and weights very hard. I find it very stressful. Grunts and yells do not concern me that much.

Quote: (10-11-2014 07:25 PM)Enjoythedecline Wrote:  

what's wrong with grunting at the gym ? It's not a fuckin library guys.

Those guys tend to be pretty weak. If you go to a gym where the average guy is strong and serious, you will rarely see this behaviour, because big egos get crushed very quickly and their owners never come back for seconds.

My lifting club trains at this big gym where sometimes you get the weak showoffs attention whoring. The problem for them is that my club is full of small but very strong guys, with a couple of world record holders. To give you an idea, I can do a few reps with 3xBW deadlifts and those guys make me look very weak.

One day we had this big unit coming in to show off with his mates. He was slamming down every warm up weight on the deadlift all the way up to his epic 1RM attempt of 200kg. He turned around like a king of the gym, and his mates were blowing smokes up his arse. He made the mistake of turning to a group of small guys (me and my club mates, we're in the 66 and 74kg class - 146 and 163lb for you Americans) chilling out near the deadlift platform between sets and making fun of us for being small. We just smiled and said nothing, then continued with our sets where we did easy reps with his brand spanking new 1RM and then some.

I now have a mental picture of what a big ego looks like totally crushed.

Earlier I saw a post making fun of a skinny 5'7" guy. While that fella might be a dick, do not automatically assume those guys are weak and are just loading up the bar for their ego lifts. One of my club mates is of the exact same build, but deadlifts 600lb. People who don't know him (including me the first time we met) always think that he's loading up the bar for someone else bigger.

What's wrong with not deadlifting 400 pounds or bench pressing 250 pounds ? Everyone gotta start somewhere.

I'm a small guys and I've been lifting for 3 months now (i've been boxing for 4 years before), and I'm not that strong right now. But you know what ? I don't give a flying fuck cause it's all about being able to handle the weight and not letting the weight handle you.

No ugly women, just lazy women.

^^ The gym is a temple and as long as you are putting in the work, everyone will respect you. Fatties, whoever, if you're there you get my respect. I think the point of the the thread is those who do not respect the "temple" and others that are there.

No one needs to let out blood curdling screams when pressing a 45 lb bench bar, I am exaggerating intentionally. Nor am I commenting on what you lift or anyone else.

Just that, hey there are other people here too, so be wise and practical when you want to disrupt others.

As for the squatting video. The first one. Was that 275? He didn't even go a full squat and he had the giant lift it for him. This is when you drop weight so you can actually do the work. MikeCF really introduced the concept of HIIT workouts. Go to his blog at dangerandplay.com. It isn't the number (i.e. how heavy you lift) it is actually how much real work you do.

Side note: When you can't do the exercise properly like benching with the bar actually hitting your chest, with a pause, then go lighter weight.