rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Gloves in the gym

Gloves in the gym

Hey does anyone wear workout gloves in the gym? Bit I want to get the FatGripz bar accessories to bulk up on forearms and was thinking hey, why don't I just wear gloves to make my grip fatter?

Also, it's kind of healthier since less of your hand is touching that germ covered bar.

Any thoughts?

Per Ardua Ad Astra | "I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum"

Cobra and I did some awesome podcasts with awesome fellow members.

Gloves in the gym

Quote: (08-30-2014 09:05 AM)h3ltrsk3ltr Wrote:  

Hey does anyone wear workout gloves in the gym? Bit I want to get the FatGripz bar accessories to bulk up on forearms and was thinking hey, why don't I just wear gloves to make my grip fatter?

Also, it's kind of healthier since less of your hand is touching that germ covered bar.

Any thoughts?

Gloves in the gym are the cheesy 1980's version of calluses.

Gloves in the gym

Don't.

Build up some calluses. Bitches love manly hands.

Gloves in the gym

I tried it when I was working out in the Shaq gym in Miami but the bar was so rough that my hands were killing me. I started bringing in socks to throw on the pullup bar to stop the pain. Miami is a zoo but even that (using old socks for grip) spawned some odd looks..

OUR NEW BLOG!

http://repstylez.com

My NEW TRAVEL E-BOOK - DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - A RED CARPET AFFAIR

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K53LVR8

Love 'em or leave 'em but we can't live without lizardsssss..

An Ode To Lizards

Gloves in the gym

[Image: dodgy.gif]

Quote:Quote:

Posted by wi30 - Today 11:04 AM
Don't.

Build up some calluses. Bitches love manly hands.

If you actually read my question, you'd notice I never said I'm trying to preserve some womanly-ass handskin. Bitches do love manly hands, but that wasn't my question.

Posted by Vaun - Today 10:58 AM

That's pretty good. However, same thing, I get calluses working, my questions was about added padding building forearm strength.

Per Ardua Ad Astra | "I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum"

Gloves in the gym

helter-skelter, I don't think the gloves serve the same purpose as they are malleable. Fat gripz stay the same girth and you have to continue gripping which works the forearms. Go for those and ditch the gloves if you are trying to work the forearms.

If it's a health/hygiene issue on the other hand, then sure, go for the gloves.

OUR NEW BLOG!

An Ode To Lizards

Gloves in the gym

Quote: (08-30-2014 10:30 AM)Moma Wrote:  

helter-skelter, I don't think the gloves serve the same purpose as they are malleable. Fat gripz stay the same girth and you have to continue gripping which works the forearms. Go for those and ditch the gloves if you are trying to work the forearms.

If it's a health/hygiene issue on the other hand, then sure, go for the gloves.

Sounds solid. Thanks brother.

Hey did you write that book?...edit:duh. It looks awesome. South America is next on my list, I'm just brushing up on the old espanol right now and locking down another trade first.

Gloves in the gym

Quote: (08-30-2014 10:28 AM)h3ltrsk3ltr Wrote:  

That's pretty good. However, same thing, I get calluses working, my questions was about added padding building forearm strength.

Do Farmer Walks.

[Image: tumblr_mblkzh8lSD1rotar8o1_500.jpg]

Gloves in the gym

I wear gloves usually, but with the fat gripz they seem superfluous.
Looking like I work out a lot while having soft hands works for me with girls.

Gloves in the gym

Quote: (08-30-2014 10:45 AM)Rutting Elephant Wrote:  

Hey, ya know there's probably a lot of soft-hands hate coming your way but I totally get that. After a shit load of pullups, bleeding hands tend to drive the ladies away.

Gloves in the gym

Lizards don't mind soft hands, they just don't like soft dyck.

OUR NEW BLOG!

An Ode To Lizards

Gloves in the gym

Quote: (08-30-2014 10:44 AM)Vaun Wrote:  

Quote: (08-30-2014 10:28 AM)h3ltrsk3ltr Wrote:  

Do Farmer Walks.

I don't have pigs but I can get some sheep no problem...

Fucking awesome btw.

Gloves in the gym

If germs are your concern, what do you think repeatedly getting a material sweaty will do. Aren't lifting gloves usually fingerless anyways?
Also, germs, literally, are everywhere. Cellphones, bathrooms, doorknobs, surfaces, etc. you have to be OCD to really try and fight germs.

Gloves in the gym

We used to say at my old gym "if you bring your gloves, don't forget your purse".

Dreams are like horses; they run wild on the earth. Catch one and ride it. Throw a leg over and ride it for all its worth.
Psalm 25:7
https://youtu.be/vHVoMCH10Wk

Gloves in the gym

Quote: (08-30-2014 10:51 AM)Moma Wrote:  

Some lurker out there is hardcore enough to have put a fat grip or worse on their dick and done point-ups. Salute.

Gloves in the gym

I use gloves in the gym and sometimes feel like a pussy for doing so. That said, they give me a better grip on the bars and keep my hands from getting totally fucked up. I already have callouses and don't need them to get even worse.

I've actually gotten more complaints about the roughness of my hands from chicks than requests to make them more leathery. In fact, a girl once got up--mid make-out--to bring me hand lotion for my "distracting hands."

Tuthmosis Twitter | IRT Twitter

Gloves in the gym

Quote: (08-30-2014 11:23 AM)Rutting Elephant Wrote:  

Quote: (08-30-2014 10:51 AM)Moma Wrote:  

Some lurker out there is hardcore enough to have put a fat grip or worse on their dick and done point-ups. Salute.

for the lurker, if you throw a small hand towel on there and do 20 raises for 5 sets, your lizard will thank you. If you want to add intensity, wet the towel so that the retained water adds a few extra grams of weight to the exercise.

Be sure to hand me my props a week later.

OUR NEW BLOG!

An Ode To Lizards

Gloves in the gym

In all seriousness staph infections are real if you are interacting with fresh bodily fluid(a pullup bar or barbell used in a class). A lot of people use gloves now for pullups, but after I build up callouses I am totally fine. I invented a whole callus shaving regimine. I took a Pedi Egg, popped out the cheese grater metal thing, bent it up into a taco shape, and use it to shave down my calluses. You can use a disposal razor but be really careful, one wrong swipe and you are bleeding. I was going to make a product out of it and sell it, but it was just an idea. Combine that with moisterizer and a manicure and you can keep them hams nice.

Gloves also throw off proper technique. Competitive weightlifters, dont wear them.

It was the same in roofing when I was a kid, if I were tearing shingles and wore gloves my hands were shredded. If I built up my calluses I could go forever. Gloves may be good in places where you will rip your hands easily(high rep kipping pullups), but for general body building and lifting no... they are a profitable douchey fitness acessory from the 80's, especially the black webbed ones. Those are rad.

Gloves in the gym

http://youtu.be/otorSGl3sG0

The video should be Donny Shankle hand care. If the link doesn't work just search that. He's an oly weightlifter. If you think your callouses are too bad, clwatch this video. The bag balm stuff smells like a farm, but it works.

Gloves in the gym

I'm not implying anything towards my fellow RVFers that wear gloves.

But I'll say this: Every single time I see some knucklehead that won't hit parallel on his squat or otherwise has shitty form, he's almost always wearing gloves and thick-soled sneakers.

Every single time I see a dude lifting big numbers with good form, they're never using gloves, they've got a tupperware of chalk, and they're going barefoot, or squat shoes, or chucks.

Me personally, I don't care for gloves. I like the feeling of my hands getting a little torn up.

"...so I gave her an STD, and she STILL wanted to bang me."

TEAM NO APPS

TEAM PINK

Gloves in the gym

Quote: (08-30-2014 10:45 AM)Rutting Elephant Wrote:  

[Image: gay.gif]
[Image: smile.gif]

Used to wear gloves. Found out they were creating a false grip and weakened my ability to lift.

Never looked back since. If you're having issues with the bars you need to get over it and do the TLC after your workout. ice your hands and get cream on them. Use chalk to lessen the impact on your skin.

Gloves are a breeding ground for germs.

Gloves in the gym

I wear gloves sometimes because dragging crap like a bag, chalk, etc around the gym seems tedious. Unless I'm doing only olympic lifts, I've got gloves on. I'll take them off to bench, dumbell work, etc because those are knurled metal that provides friction. Yet, if you're using any machines, half of them have rubber coated grips that either loosen and move around, or have become so slathered in sweat from everyone that gloves provide the friction for holding power.

I'm more of a power-lifting for base, body-building for shape and size type of lifter. Going heavy 24/7 and not periodizing your workouts doesn't build a great physique for me. Strength yes, but at the cost of gaining fat too. At some point, if your joints start going with age (as mine have), you'll have no choice put to lower weight anyways.

side note - I've had ring worm twice from the gym I lift in, and I hyper-hydrate so I'm sweaty as fuck when I workout. Gloves serve their purpose. If I was strictly a power lifter, I wouldn't wear gloves. I also wouldn't sweat my ass off either.

Gloves in the gym

Relevant first 60 seconds.

Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm." And the warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."

Women and children can be careless, but not men - Don Corleone

Great RVF Comments | Where Evil Resides | How to upload, etc. | New Members Read This 1 | New Members Read This 2

Gloves in the gym

Quote: (08-30-2014 02:40 PM)samsamsam Wrote:  

Relevant first 60 seconds.

^^^ that vid is spot on. I've seen 100% of that in my gym, including the high altitude mask.

What's hilarious is that the dude with the mask does heavy compounds with the mask on. Yeah dude, because the first thing you want to do after a heavy deadlift is restrict your oxygen...but his form is shit so it doesn't matter anyway.

"...so I gave her an STD, and she STILL wanted to bang me."

TEAM NO APPS

TEAM PINK

Gloves in the gym

Do you guys think I would look cooler if I wore only one gym glove?

[Image: attachment.jpg21291]   

Tuthmosis Twitter | IRT Twitter