rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

dancing or fighting?

dancing or fighting?

I have the time to take 1 class this year and i only have enough for one. Is it more worth it to do dancing or martial arts? I think both increase your charisma and body language. Im leaning more towards dancing since theres more chances to actually apply it and use it for game.

dancing or fighting?

Quote: (08-06-2014 10:37 PM)edtf Wrote:  

I have the time to take 1 class this year and i only have enough for one. Is it more worth it to do dancing or martial arts? I think both increase your charisma and body language. Im leaning more towards dancing since theres more chances to actually apply it and use it for game.

"Salsa" game only works on chicks that CAN'T dance.

So don't think that a year of classes is gonna have your bed full of Latinas.
Much like twerking, a lot of chicks that dance, ain't bout that life. They like to dance and feel sexual, not be sexual.

But bitches that can't dance, they eat that shit up.

Fighting on the other hand, camaraderie, working out, knowing yourself, dealing with pain, keeping your anger in check.....all good stuff.

But that doesn't *directly* translate into hollering at bitches.

If you've got extra time, and you need something to do, I say

1) Acting/theater - nothing will improve your voice, diction, enunciation, volume, and breath control when running game. In addition, you learn what the proper reactions are, from what you think down to the body language.

2) Another language - it opens up more girls for you to talk to

WIA

dancing or fighting?

Fighting.

/thread

dancing or fighting?

Which martial arts and dancing are available to you?

dancing or fighting?

I would recommend bachata if you live near Dominicans. Screw Salsa.

Or if you can't decide between dancing and fighting, there is always...

dancing or fighting?

Quote: (08-06-2014 10:53 PM)WestIndianArchie Wrote:  

Quote: (08-06-2014 10:37 PM)edtf Wrote:  

"Salsa" game only works on chicks that CAN'T dance.

So don't think that a year of classes is gonna have your bed full of Latinas.
Much like twerking, a lot of chicks that dance, ain't bout that life. They like to dance and feel sexual, not be sexual.

But bitches that can't dance, they eat that shit up.

Fighting on the other hand, camaraderie, working out, knowing yourself, dealing with pain, keeping your anger in check.....all good stuff.

But that doesn't *directly* translate into hollering at bitches.

If you've got extra time, and you need something to do, I say

1) Acting/theater - nothing will improve your voice, diction, enunciation, volume, and breath control when running game. In addition, you learn what the proper reactions are, from what you think down to the body language.

2) Another language - it opens up more girls for you to talk to

WIA

That's really interesting, I'll look into acting and theater. I already speak 4 languages so I think the ROI isn't that high for me.

dancing or fighting?

Quote: (08-06-2014 11:20 PM)Carlos100 Wrote:  

I have Taekwondo, MMA, wingchun, and brazilian jiu jitsu

dancing or fighting?

Which 4?

There is a thread about which 4 languages you would learn.

Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm." And the warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."

Women and children can be careless, but not men - Don Corleone

Great RVF Comments | Where Evil Resides | How to upload, etc. | New Members Read This 1 | New Members Read This 2

dancing or fighting?

Pretty tough choice. I do both, they form the basis of my social life actually.

I second WIA. Im an avid salsa dancer and I confirm that salsa shit only works on girls who dont dance, for them its like a golden magnet. Which is a shame, since a lot of hot girls are in the dance scene, but its very unlikely you will get them with your dance game. They are often very bitchy since they get the pick of the best dancers there. Good thing about salsa is that it gets you comfortable touching girls and approaching, so I say do it. Bachata is so easy, once you can dance salsa bachata is a piece of cake.

I train aikido and karate and theres tons of girls there, also good for gaming. Except that there are two types of chicks who go to martial arts: 1) the ones who are serious, which are far and few and not that hot 2) the ones who go bc they know there are easy guys there. The pain and training will harden you, but I find that the camaraderie develops mostly between mature older people. The young people who form a martial art social circle are often fucked up and dominated by girls, at least in my experience.

If you can take MMA, it never hurts to know a little self defense. Taekwondo and Karate tend to have lots of girls. Thing is, confidence in MA doesnt translate into confidence with girls. If anything almost all the guys in MA I know are fucking losers when it comes to girl. Except one Indian dude who managed to fuck all the girls 20 years younger than him

Having a passion is very important. I suggest you take intro classes and figure out which you like the most. If you take them just for girls you will drop out quickly. Think of it as your passion and lifestyle choice and the girls are benefits.

Ass or cash, nobody rides for free - WestIndiArchie

dancing or fighting?

Tough one.

One will improve your relations with men - more respect, presence etc.

The other will improve your relations with women - more comfortable touching women and it will 'free up' your body language.

At a push, if you only have time for one, I would choose Martial Arts.

An important point - Density Of Practice. If you only do MMA or Salsa for one hour every wednesday night then your progress will not be quick enough to make you excited.

Learn Spanish Game Latinas
http://pickupspanish.com/

dancing or fighting?

Quote: (08-06-2014 11:58 PM)edtf Wrote:  

Quote: (08-06-2014 11:20 PM)Carlos100 Wrote:  

I have Taekwondo, MMA, wingchun, and brazilian jiu jitsu

If you're going to do taekwondo, it likely won't help much in a fight so it has no real use outside classes, so unless you really like it you might as well go dancing.

MMA (and some other combat sports) have a hidden benefit, when you know you can beat most men you will act more freely (don't push it either), which will show as confidence.

dancing or fighting?

The problem is you're considering these for the wrong reasons.

dancing or fighting?

I truly believe that every man should train martial arts (even if soft ones like TKD).

dancing or fighting?

Not to derail the thread, but I find it strange that whenever guys talk about MA they start saying things like "is it effective in a fight?"

In a fight things get out of hand very very quickly. He might pull a knife, breaks a bottle, or clawing your eyes out, or jump you later with machete wielding gang. You might trip over the table or slip on the floor, or your suit/belt/accesories get stuck. And then theres always the legal implications afterward. Says you win a fight. Cop comes. What next? Most of the time if its not serious you wont go to court but they will throw both of you in jail for a while for public disorder (until lawyer or bail$ comes). Most of my training partners and Sensei are cops and thats how they deal with it. Who cares who s the victim? Two fuckers doing stupid stuff, shove them both in jail.

Martial arts is to learn how to use your body and expresses yourself; same thing with dance. Two sides of the same coin. Eventually in MM you will learn meditation which is awesome. Being able to defend yourself MIGHT come in handy, but getting into a fight where you dont have to its just unwise.

dancing or fighting?

[Image: why_not_both.gif]

Seriously though, both are fun and practical.

1. Impress women with your dancing skills
2. Fight off some mugger,
3. Get an extra notch while she's impressed with your physique from fighting
4. ????
5. Profit!

[Image: banana.gif]

dancing or fighting?

Dancing is a great social skill to have when you're travelling. Very easy to get into social circles even when you're on the other side of the globe. It's like a special language.

I'd do both though.

dancing or fighting?

Quote: (08-07-2014 06:04 AM)Dalaran1991 Wrote:  

Not to derail the thread, but I find it strange that whenever guys talk about MA they start saying things like "is it effective in a fight?"

In a fight things get out of hand very very quickly. He might pull a knife, breaks a bottle, or clawing your eyes out, or jump you later with machete wielding gang. You might trip over the table or slip on the floor, or your suit/belt/accesories get stuck. And then theres always the legal implications afterward. Says you win a fight. Cop comes. What next? Most of the time if its not serious you wont go to court but they will throw both of you in jail for a while for public disorder (until lawyer or bail$ comes). Most of my training partners and Sensei are cops and thats how they deal with it. Who cares who s the victim? Two fuckers doing stupid stuff, shove them both in jail.

Martial arts is to learn how to use your body and expresses yourself; same thing with dance. Two sides of the same coin. Eventually in MM you will learn meditation which is awesome. Being able to defend yourself MIGHT come in handy, but getting into a fight where you dont have to its just unwise.

Most sober adult men are not looking to get in a fight, but they recognize that it is at least a distinct possibility sooner or later, and they at least want to defend themselves if attacked. And when it comes down to a physical threat, I'd personally rather react and deal with the legal consequences later (though the wisdom in this probably depends on the severity of the threat). Not to mention that most random fights do not end in assault charges, especially if you know to gtfo when the dust settles.

I agree that a real streetfight is highly unpredictable,but for the most part, if you are well-trained in MMA or a practical fighting style (boxing, muay thai, etc), you're going to be way more prepared than some lazy average joe or derelict at the bar. If you see a decent MMA guy in a fight, this becomes pretty clear. And even if that derelict has honed streetfighting skills, which can be a force to be reckoned with to be sure, you'll still be better off knowing some stuff than not knowing anything at all.

Much more of a chance you'll get yourself out of the situation with minimal damage.

But of course no guarantees.

Beyond All Seas

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.
To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes
frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Kipling

dancing or fighting?

Very tough question and you're going to get a different response from everyone.

Do 1 for 1 month and the other for another month (a lot of the places have 2-4 weeks free or discounted classes anyway), then decide which you like better for the year. Then you can switch after a year.

dancing or fighting?

Martial arts specifically ones where you can spar/roll/randori at at least 80% intensity builds a strong attitude that is going to have a positive affect on your frame and game if you tweak it that way. So though I do what amounts to MMA, I favor grappling because I can go at 80-90% intensity 5 times a week. I can't do that with Muay Thai or I'd be wrecked.

After a 3 hour session of randori or rolling my confidence with girls feels like it's been multiplied by 10.

Another important factor which relates to a thread I read about "how do you make friends" is that as a guy in my late 30s who travels I make easy friends within the first few times I join up at a judo, mma or bjj club. There's something about good honest muscle vs muscle that gains respect. Even if I'm being thrown around by the coach or senior guys they respect effort. I think this is enhanced even more by the fact that most guys today don't wrestle, randori or roll.

Having said all that, there's no reason why you can't learn to dance too. Personally though I favor 90% of my time and effort towards martial arts and 10% towards dance. I'm not interested in entering "so you think you can dance." I just want to learn the principles and I'm good. I also find that all the contortions, flexibility, movement and body control that I get from BJJ and Judo mean that I'm able to learn to dance well because I already have an innate understanding of my body, how to relax parts, how to flow other parts and how to do it all with a calm and confidence demeanor.

I find dancing a ton easier than martial arts because I don't have a skilled guy trying to pin, throw or knock my head off while I'm dancing.

dancing or fighting?

Learn break dance, popping and locking. You can use it all around the world to make friends and there is nothing better than going into a club with your mates and taking over the dance floor. I do it with mine all the time, awesome feeling... martial arts... you'll never use or you'll wind up in jail. My wife's panties are soaked in jealousy after a night at the club because all the women's eyes are on me. [Image: wink.gif]

dancing or fighting?

The single most effective way I have found to avoid fights is to avoid bars and anywhere where tons of people get too drunk.

Most casual fights start that way.

Your other worry is being jumped by people who want to rob you. In that case, they are usually in groups, so your best defense is probably a quick 1-mile sprint.

dancing or fighting?

I think both are brilliant choices, so I'd say get acquainted with each one however you can. For what it's worth, dancing is more easily learned outside the classroom, if it's salsa or bachata you're after then it's pretty easy to pick it up from other dancers...but you'll progress a lot faster and with more technical nous with an effective teacher. With martial arts you basically need good instruction to know what you're doing and push yourself past your limit.

Quote: (08-07-2014 07:59 AM)BadWolf Wrote:  

Learn break dance, popping and locking. You can use it all around the world to make friends and there is nothing better than going into a club with your mates and taking over the dance floor. I do it with mine all the time, awesome feeling... martial arts... you'll never use or you'll wind up in jail. My wife's panties are soaked in jealousy after a night at the club because all the women's eyes are on me. [Image: wink.gif]

Breaking is great and it has an awesome community but it's a massive time investment. It takes most people about 3 years of constant practice before they look barely competent...5 or more years to actually look impressive. But yeah with that in mind I'd certainly recommend it to younger guys who are interested in dancing (plus, virtually everyone learns it without paying for a single class since most bboys will help you learn for free).

dancing or fighting?

Quote: (08-07-2014 08:22 AM)Sonsowey Wrote:  

The single most effective way I have found to avoid fights is to avoid bars and anywhere where tons of people get too drunk.

Your other worry is being jumped by people who want to rob you. In that case, they are usually in groups, so your best defense is probably a quick 1-mile sprint.

Yeah I try and avoid trashy bars and "frat bro" clubs. Upscale places don't have that problem.

The running part is really important. I need to start doing 1 mile sprints.

dancing or fighting?

This is why I advise studying a traditional system with a good sensei over MMA any day.

The MMA crowd got way too much hype over it and tend to make people into aggressive hot headed dickhead who is always looking for a fight, or does not know how to defuse tension when possible.

Traditional arts always have a lot of mental training and always emphasize absence of violence, and above all, situational awareness. They teach you how to observe your surroundings and weigh in the possibility. If you are on a dark street and some lousy big people are walking your way and you are still there, something is very wrong. I dont care if you are Bruce Lee.

dancing or fighting?

Quote: (08-07-2014 02:57 PM)Dalaran1991 Wrote:  

This is why I advise studying a traditional system with a good sensei over MMA any day.

The MMA crowd got way too much hype over it and tend to make people into aggressive hot headed dickhead who is always looking for a fight, or does not know how to defuse tension when possible.

This seems like an exaggeration.

I can totally understand why someone would want to try a martial art like karate, kung fu, etc.

But it's 100% up to the individual whether they seek out fights on their own in public.

Taking BJJ, Boxing, or MMA classes part time isn't going to automatically make you egotistical or aggressive towards strangers, those reactions come from your underlying personality, not the training itself.