rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Workout Q&A

Workout Q&A

I've only been a member on here for a short time, but the forum has been a fantastic tool for me in my journey of self-improvement and masculinity. For those reasons, I'd like to give back. If there is one thing I know well and have a passion for, it is fitness. I'm in the collegiate strength and conditioning profession, and as a result have a fairly in-depth understanding of what it takes to train the body for optimal performance.

I know that taking care of the body is a priority for most members on here. I also know that learning what the most effective/efficient ways to stay in shape, build muscle, and just look awesome takes a lot of time. I'd like to answer any questions I can that you guys might have, and assist in helping the members on here continue making gains. Anything is fair game, be it lifting, conditioning, diet, supplements, etc.

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor or licensed medical professional, and the answers I may give should not be considered medical advice.

Workout Q&A

Is overtraining real, or just an excuse?

Workout Q&A

Quote: (06-23-2014 07:30 PM)Albertron Wrote:  

Yes, overtraining is a real thing. However what most people perceive to be overtraining is usually just fatigue. It is incredibly difficult to induce overtraining, and most people don't have the stomach to run their bodies into the ground enough to hit that point. Generally when somebody claims to be overtrained, take it with a grain of salt.

Workout Q&A

What is your opinion on carb cycling to maintain muscle gains while losing fat? Have you done it?

Also, MCT fatty acids. Do you use these in your diet? And how?

Workout Q&A

Quote: (06-24-2014 03:00 AM)CaP7 Wrote:  

What is your opinion on carb cycling to maintain muscle gains while losing fat? Have you done it?

Also, MCT fatty acids. Do you use these in your diet? And how?

Carb Cycling: I like it, and use it myself to some degree. When I get very strict with it, I have seen good results. It is important to remember overall caloric intake however. Otherwise I think it is a great method for eating responsibly and to fuel your body's needs.

MCTs are definitely a hot button topic recently. I like them myself, in moderation. I use coconut and coconut oil, generally in cooking as my primary method of consumption and believe strongly in the extra nutritional value that coconut can bring to the table. Another good use I've found is to mix a spoonful of coconut oil into my morning coffee.

Hope that helps.

Workout Q&A

Thanks for the thread.

What's your opinion on getting your head through on the OHP? I always used to make an effort to get my head through and get a bit of a shrug movement at the top of the press, but have recently began to get shoulder pain when doing so. When I press with my chest up and don't get my head through, I don't feel any pain (and am able to work with heavier weights too I might add). I know at lot of S & C coaches advocate getting your head through, but then whenever I watch videos of guys like Wendler and Kroc, they don't seem to bother (at least not to the extent advised by the likes of Rippetoe).

Thanks in advance.

Workout Q&A

Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language. And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.

Workout Q&A

Quote: (06-27-2014 08:42 AM)Sweet Pea Wrote:  

[Image: icon_lol.gif] [Image: icon_lol.gif] [Image: icon_lol.gif]

You worry 'bout training motha fucka!

Workout Q&A

Quote: (06-27-2014 08:27 AM)Kieran Wrote:  

Thanks for the thread.

What's your opinion on getting your head through on the OHP? I always used to make an effort to get my head through and get a bit of a shrug movement at the top of the press, but have recently began to get shoulder pain when doing so. When I press with my chest up and don't get my head through, I don't feel any pain (and am able to work with heavier weights too I might add). I know at lot of S & C coaches advocate getting your head through, but then whenever I watch videos of guys like Wendler and Kroc, they don't seem to bother (at least not to the extent advised by the likes of Rippetoe).

Thanks in advance.

You are welcome, it is truly my pleasure.

Short answer: I always advocate "getting the head through" during overhead work.

Long answer: If something gives a lifter pain, then a problem needs addressing. There could be multiple reasons why it is causing you pain. My first question is how far do you push it through? You want your ears in line with the biceps, and not in front. That level of overextension can cause discomfort. The best way to describe the finishing position is that if you were to watch yourself, from foot to the barbell overhead, everything is in line.

The issue with your chest up technique is that you are putting your lower back under a great load of stress, and very likely it will lead to lower back issues down the road. The other consideration is the angle at which your arm articulates with your torso. I would be willing to bet that the angle of pressing is fairly close to an incline bench, which would be the better option for long-term health and gains.

If this doesn't help, let me know. Also, if you want to upload a video of your pressing, I would have a better idea of what the issue might be.

Workout Q&A

Mongo,

Can you take too many supplements? Meaning is there a point where your body just can't process them? Being extreme here.

I am taking a few, I don't feel any side effects but just want to be responsible.

Thanks.

Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm." And the warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."

Women and children can be careless, but not men - Don Corleone

Great RVF Comments | Where Evil Resides | How to upload, etc. | New Members Read This 1 | New Members Read This 2

Workout Q&A

what's your opinion for using a program like starting strength for developing athleticism in pound for pound athletes like fighters?

Workout Q&A

Quote: (06-27-2014 08:01 PM)samsamsam Wrote:  

Mongo,

Can you take too many supplements? Meaning is there a point where your body just can't process them? Being extreme here.

I am taking a few, I don't feel any side effects but just want to be responsible.

Thanks.

At some point, yes you could take so many supplements that your body can't process them. Depending on the supplement, your body will either kick it out in your piss or there might be some other side effects. Usually anything beyond some creatine and a multivitamin is likely to not be worth the money for how much it benefits you. When I am up north in the wintertime, I'll take a Vitamin D supplement to make up for the lack of sunlight, but beyond that I've found that supplements tend to not be worth the investment.

Quote: (06-27-2014 08:08 PM)the chef Wrote:  

what's your opinion for using a program like starting strength for developing athleticism in pound for pound athletes like fighters?

Depends on how long they have been training. Will it be better than nothing? Sure. However I think there are better programs out there. Starting Strength is great for beginners getting introduced to lifting, and approaches it from more of a powerlifting style of lifting, rather than one centered on building athleticism. Again, not a bad program, and it will help, but I just don't find it to be the optimal program.

Workout Q&A

Quote: (06-27-2014 07:57 PM)Mongo Wrote:  

Quote: (06-27-2014 08:27 AM)Kieran Wrote:  

Thanks for the thread.

Thanks in advance.

You are welcome, it is truly my pleasure.

Short answer: I always advocate "getting the head through" during overhead work.

Long answer: If something gives a lifter pain, then a problem needs addressing. There could be multiple reasons why it is causing you pain. My first question is how far do you push it through? You want your ears in line with the biceps, and not in front. That level of overextension can cause discomfort. The best way to describe the finishing position is that if you were to watch yourself, from foot to the barbell overhead, everything is in line.

The issue with your chest up technique is that you are putting your lower back under a great load of stress, and very likely it will lead to lower back issues down the road. The other consideration is the angle at which your arm articulates with your torso. I would be willing to bet that the angle of pressing is fairly close to an incline bench, which would be the better option for long-term health and gains.

If this doesn't help, let me know. Also, if you want to upload a video of your pressing, I would have a better idea of what the issue might be.

Thanks for the reply. I think I was probably pushing through a little too far, but now, even the position you described (ears in line with biceps) causes discomfort. Also, you're right about my chest up technique, it probably finishes looking something like a very steep incline press.

What do you think about Joe Defranco's recomendation to ditch overhead work entirely? Strangely I can incline press at all angles completely pain free, while OHP and flat bench cause me pain (even benching with elbows tucked). I'm thinking that I'll probably ditch overhead work for a while and train my incline press twice per week (I also do a lot of upper back and rear delt work for injury prevention which should help).

I'd also be interested if you could elaborate on the kind of strength programmes you like for fighters.

Workout Q&A

Quote: (06-27-2014 08:56 PM)Mongo Wrote:  

Quote: (06-27-2014 08:08 PM)the chef Wrote:  

Depends on how long they have been training. Will it be better than nothing? Sure. However I think there are better programs out there. Starting Strength is great for beginners getting introduced to lifting, and approaches it from more of a powerlifting style of lifting, rather than one centered on building athleticism. Again, not a bad program, and it will help, but I just don't find it to be the optimal program.

I've been doing a Starting Strength based program for 10 months or so and I like the full body compound lifts, but I am wondering how I should adjust things if I want to focus more on losing the belly fat, but not lose strength. I've been afraid to cut my calories too much. Even so, with only a slight deficit or close to maintenance I've started to struggle increasing the bar weight. Any suggestions on what I should look into? I do like the fact that SS is based around strength/performance/athletics rather than "bodybuilding/aesthetics" stuff. Looking for a bit of balance between the two I suppose.

If only you knew how bad things really are.

Workout Q&A

I recently started doing isolation lifts to bring up some weak points, and am seeing some gains. What are one or two lifts that are great for building big medial deltoids without harming your shoulder joints? Detals on set and rep schemes appreciated.

"What is your opinion on carb cycling to maintain muscle gains while losing fat? Have you done it?

Also, MCT fatty acids. Do you use these in your diet? And how?"

I have used carb cycling for the past couple months and have found it very effective. I've gotten bigger and leaner at the same time, in conjunction with a new lifting program. I have little to no carbs on non lift days, then about 1,000 calories of carbs on lift days. I've found it just as effective as intermittent fasting if not more so - I don't do IF strictly but generally don't eat breakfast, and eat big lunches or big dinners, sometimes a buffet meal for an entire day. If I don't get significant carbs before a workout, I lose energy quickly - unless it's in the morning - somehow sleep can compensate for a lack of carbs for the first few hours of being awake.

As for MCT oil - use coconut oil and coconut milk in your cooking. I use it most with rice.

Workout Q&A

Sorry for the delay guys, been out in the woods shooting all weekend.

[quote] (06-28-2014 07:39 AM)Kieran Wrote:  

Thanks for the reply. I think I was probably pushing through a little too far, but now, even the position you described (ears in line with biceps) causes discomfort. Also, you're right about my chest up technique, it probably finishes looking something like a very steep incline press.

What do you think about Joe Defranco's recomendation to ditch overhead work entirely? Strangely I can incline press at all angles completely pain free, while OHP and flat bench cause me pain (even benching with elbows tucked). I'm thinking that I'll probably ditch overhead work for a while and train my incline press twice per week (I also do a lot of upper back and rear delt work for injury prevention which should help).

I'd also be interested if you could elaborate on the kind of strength programmes you like for fighters.[/quote]

If it is still causing you pain, then I'd recommend ditching overhead work for the time being until you get the shoulders healthy. For simplicity's sake, I'd use this workout as your shoulder warmup every upper body day: http://www.t-nation.com/article/bodybuil..._shoulders

In the meantime, just hammer incline as long as it doesn't bother you. As for a program for fighters, there are a lot of things that can work. Give me a couple days and I'll put a template together for you. How often do you lift/condition/practice each week?

[quote] (06-28-2014 11:17 AM)RexImperator Wrote:  

[quote='Mongo' pid='766447' dateline='1403920577']

I've been doing a Starting Strength based program for 10 months or so and I like the full body compound lifts, but I am wondering how I should adjust things if I want to focus more on losing the belly fat, but not lose strength. I've been afraid to cut my calories too much. Even so, with only a slight deficit or close to maintenance I've started to struggle increasing the bar weight. Any suggestions on what I should look into? I do like the fact that SS is based around strength/performance/athletics rather than "bodybuilding/aesthetics" stuff. Looking for a bit of balance between the two I suppose.[/quote]

Allow me to introduce you to 5/3/1. If you are wanting to improve your condition while maintaining strength, just follow the NOV template. It's hard, but you will see results.

[quote] (06-28-2014 12:08 PM)Basil Ransom Wrote:  

I recently started doing isolation lifts to bring up some weak points, and am seeing some gains. What are one or two lifts that are great for building big medial deltoids without harming your shoulder joints? Detals on set and rep schemes appreciated.

"What is your opinion on carb cycling to maintain muscle gains while losing fat? Have you done it?

Also, MCT fatty acids. Do you use these in your diet? And how?"

I have used carb cycling for the past couple months and have found it very effective. I've gotten bigger and leaner at the same time, in conjunction with a new lifting program. I have little to no carbs on non lift days, then about 1,000 calories of carbs on lift days. I've found it just as effective as intermittent fasting if not more so - I don't do IF strictly but generally don't eat breakfast, and eat big lunches or big dinners, sometimes a buffet meal for an entire day. If I don't get significant carbs before a workout, I lose energy quickly - unless it's in the morning - somehow sleep can compensate for a lack of carbs for the first few hours of being awake.

As for MCT oil - use coconut oil and coconut milk in your cooking. I use it most with rice.[/quote]

I tend to just do some simple lateral raises, 3 sets of 10-12 reps, twice a week to start, then up the frequency to three times a week. If possible, do them like this:

My other favorite shoulder lift is snatch grip behind the neck press, 4 sets of 6-8 reps, also twice a week. If performing them strict bugs the shoulder, use the legs a touch and turn it into a push press:

Workout Q&A

^i spar heavy once a week and practice my technique 3 days a week. in total i try and do 62 rounds of skill work each week (12 rounds shadow boxing, 12 rounds heavy bag, 12 rounds double end, 12 rounds speed bag) as well as 12 rounds of jump rope each week.

lately i've only been lifting twice a week and only focusing on heavy squats, bench/oh press, and deadlifts. i followed a crossfit football approach for about a month before jumping back into boxing. but i haven't been doing any other extra conditioning as i just don't have any extra time. some days i'd drag a sled or push a prowler after my boxing workouts but nothing more than that.

my numbers in the gym have dipped and i also can't do as many pullups as i used to before starting the boxing. my sparring partners have told me that my punches feel a lot crisper but i'm sure that's more of a technique thing than it is a strength and conditioning thing.

what's the most efficient method to make gains in strength/power and overall conditioning while still being able to put in my weekly rounds in the boxing gym? it's disheartening seeing my numbers go down when i'm lifting week in and week out. i'm looking to get the most bang for my buck since i'm a full time student and my studies are my main priority.

thanks.

Workout Q&A

I always cramp up when squatting. Like every time, even with like only 100 pounds. It doesn't happen when I leg press. What are possible causes?

Founding Member of TEAM DOUBLE WRAPPED CONDOMS

Workout Q&A

Your take on drop sets and when is the time to switch routines and what's the best program to put on mass when your injured (leg). I hade acl surgery about 3 months ago and i am not cleared to use any weights for my legs yet

Workout Q&A

Quote: (06-30-2014 04:54 PM)the chef Wrote:  

what's the most efficient method to make gains in strength/power and overall conditioning while still being able to put in my weekly rounds in the boxing gym? it's disheartening seeing my numbers go down when i'm lifting week in and week out. i'm looking to get the most bang for my buck since i'm a full time student and my studies are my main priority.

thanks.

First, remember that when trying to train multiple components at once, you won't get optimal results for all. That's a fair amount of volume in your gym work. Accept that as a result you won't be making as quick of progress in your lifting numbers. Don't sweat it. Just remember which one is more important to you. Lifting should be something to aid your boxing, without taking away from it. As long as the boxing is going well, just ride it out and enjoy getting better at that.

Anyways, lifting twice a week isn't a bad thing. Just make each day a full-body day. What I would recommend is a Legs-Push-Pull template. Do a compound lower body lift (i.e. Squat/Deadlift/Front Squat/Power Clean etc.), a compound upper body push (i.e. Military Press/Push Press/Incline Press/Bench Press etc.) followed by a compound upper body pull (Pullups/Bent Row/1 arm DB Row etc.). Pick one of each exercise, and make that your workout. Keep the volume relatively low, a total of 25-35 working reps of each exercise. If you have the time to do two of each category every day, awesome. If you don't, oh well. You can do the same exercises both days or switch it up. Just do whatever keeps you motivated. If you don't feel like thinking it through that much, then do a 5/3/1 Two-Day template.

Quote: (06-30-2014 06:18 PM)Switch Wrote:  

I always cramp up when squatting. Like every time, even with like only 100 pounds. It doesn't happen when I leg press. What are possible causes?

How much do you hydrate? What is your carb intake?

Quote: (07-01-2014 05:24 AM)KC4 Wrote:  

Your take on drop sets and when is the time to switch routines and what's the best program to put on mass when your injured (leg). I hade acl surgery about 3 months ago and i am not cleared to use any weights for my legs yet

I like drop sets for getting some extra volume in, the best time to switch routines is entirely dependent on the person doing it and their goals. If you want to put on mass but can't lift legs, do a fuckshitton of upper body volume. Look at something like German Volume Training as a guide, and adapt it to what you are cleared to do. More importantly, take care of that knee.

Workout Q&A

If my maxes are: OHP 95, BP 170, Squat 220, Dead 260, am I too novice to do 5/3/1? I'm doing it anyway...and started light light light to really hone in on my technique. I'm 5/9' and 140lbs.

Workout Q&A

Quote: (07-04-2014 02:25 AM)swishhboy25 Wrote:  

If my maxes are: OHP 95, BP 170, Squat 220, Dead 260, am I too novice to do 5/3/1? I'm doing it anyway...and started light light light to really hone in on my technique. I'm 5/9' and 140lbs.

What are you doing now? I'm no expert, but as I see it, there is no point changing things around unless you aren't progressing. Even then you can just take 20 pounds off and increase 5 pounds every session. I lifted around the same amount as you do after doing Mehdi's Stronglifting 5x5 program after 3 months. (Note: I hadn't been to the gym in like 5 years (only playing soccer) and started nearly from scratch). Now I do something else that a bodybuilder friend set up for me.

Workout Q&A

Quote: (07-04-2014 03:40 AM)Baga Wrote:  

Quote: (07-04-2014 02:25 AM)swishhboy25 Wrote:  

What are you doing now? I'm no expert, but as I see it, there is no point changing things around unless you aren't progressing. Even then you can just take 20 pounds off and increase 5 pounds every session. I lifted around the same amount as you do after doing Mehdi's Stronglifting 5x5 program after 3 months. (Note: I hadn't been to the gym in like 5 years (only playing soccer) and started nearly from scratch). Now I do something else that a bodybuilder friend set up for me.

What he said basically. When I ran 5/3/1 for the first time, I started with maxes lighter than that. And I was 5'9" and 170ish pounds. It's awesome for building a base, which means it's good to start light and hit lots and lots of reps. Nobody got weaker by following the program as it's written and doing the lifts through a full ROM with good technique.

Workout Q&A

hey Baga, im doing 5 3 1 . in the second cycle,and i decided to go with the same weigh on desdlifts because my technique is quite shit. i do feel frustrated how slow the gains are coming but im trying to stay patient and focusmon dialing in on rest and nutrition.

Workout Q&A

so its fine to stay with the same weights for more than one cycle to hone in on technique right? thanks a bunch mongo.

ps. if we post videos of our lifts will you critique the form?