rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Lost two iphones...now what?

I've been sulking pretty heavily since Friday when I lost my iphone 5. I was drunk and in a gypsy cab going who knows where when I got out and left the phone in the seat (I'm sure I was looking at maps or whatsapp or some shit). By the time I realized it, of course he was long gone. Yes, it sucks and I'm sure you've all done something similar...however, this EXACT thing happened a month ago with my iphone 4. Yes, I'm officially an idiot, I know.

So now I'm rocking a $20 chicklet Samsung that only texts and calls. I had thought before about making the switch back to a basic phone that many of you have done and dropping the smart phone zombie affliction. Thing is, a smart phone is so damn helpful to me here in Russia. Translator, map, burning time on the metro, Tinder girls, whatsapp, etc. And the translator and map could be legitimate life-savers in certain situations.

I'm just not sure what to do at this point though. I know guys here that rock the $20 chicklet phones no problem. You lose it one drunken night or you get robbed (just happened to my buddy, gypsy cab driver put a knife to his throat)...hey no problem grab a new phone tomorrow. But on the other hand the smart phone is really a tool as much as it is a toy when I'm operating in another country and a in massive city.

The other kicker, unlocked phones cost a boatload, especially in Russia.

So, do I rock the chicklet phone for now and teach myself a lesson? Do I learn to rock it permanently? Or, do I just bite the bullet and get another smartphone before I get lost somewhere and need GPS or end up with a girl who speaks zero English (true story...spent an entire weekend with this girl communicating solely with my phone...maybe a story for another thread)?

Suggestions?

"...it's the quiet cool...it's for someone who's been through the struggle and come out on the other side smelling like money and pussy."

"put her in the taxi, put her number in the trash can"

While I can't tell you what to do. I can suggest some ways on how to look at the problem.

How much is a smartphone?

I'd look at the cost differential - let's say it is 200 bucks more for a smartphone. How much poosy will you lose for not being willing to spend 200 more. And is that ok/worth it to you?

I imagine in Russia having a smartphone is either the minimum needed or a luxury. But in either situation having one makes you acceptable or cool. But I don't really know the phone hierarchy in Russia.

Good luck and maybe attach a string to the phone and to your pants? Just kidding.

Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm." And the warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."

Women and children can be careless, but not men - Don Corleone

Great RVF Comments | Where Evil Resides | How to upload, etc. | New Members Read This 1 | New Members Read This 2

I have a history of losing or breaking electronics especially phones. So now I just buy laptops and cell phones secondhand and older models.

Game/red pill article links

"Chicks dig power, men dig beauty, eggs are expensive, sperm is cheap, men are expendable, women are perishable." - Heartiste

Quote: (04-26-2014 10:51 PM)bacon Wrote:  

I have a history of losing or breaking electronics especially phones. So now I just buy laptops and cell phones secondhand and older models.

If I were in the US, I'd just buy a used iphone 4 and move on. Can't do that as easily here. I may ask around to some Russians I know if there's a classifieds site or something. No way am I going to deal with having something shipped here.

One girl here (who is making it clear she wants to get serious) said moving to the chicklet phone was smart and safe)...maybe she knows its a cockblock phone and is happy about that [Image: lol.gif]

"...it's the quiet cool...it's for someone who's been through the struggle and come out on the other side smelling like money and pussy."

What does a new iPhone go for these days?

Several hundred dollars? If the cell phone is the one main luxury that you allow yourself, then go for it, but maybe go with the brick phone for a month or two just so that you'll appreciate the smart phone that much more when you buy the next one.

However, if an expensive smart phone is one of dozens of luxury things on your must have list, what could easily be a very relaxed $20,000 lifestyle has quickly turned into a $60,000 lifestyle.

I'm not personally advocating a completely minimalist lifestyle, but I am opposing constantly chasing the next thing that is going to make you happy.

For me it's suits. For someone who spent 8.5 years slowly finishing my undergrad while spending significant periods of time abroad, owning 20 suits is a lot, because there ain't that much money in being a student.

I've forgone owning a car, property, expensive phones, etc, but I give myself that one thing (a impressive wardrobe for a career student) so that I don't have to feel like I scrap by every day.

So, if a smart phone is that one thing that really gives your life an upgrade, enjoy it.

Just don't get trapped in the never ending cycle of unsatisfying consumerism.

I'm the King of Beijing!

The only new iphone I can find on sale here is almost $1,000. But I can get something to satisfy my needs for less than half that. I think you struck a chord here: "So, if a smart phone is that one thing that really gives your life an upgrade, enjoy it."

But I still may go a while with the brick just to teach myself a lesson.

@suits

Now I understand why suits is your username

Game/red pill article links

"Chicks dig power, men dig beauty, eggs are expensive, sperm is cheap, men are expendable, women are perishable." - Heartiste

If you're thinking about cost effectiveness, consider waiting for the next iphone iteration to buy one and go with a cheap smartphone in the meantime. My backup phone is an under-$200-new Samsung, and while the screen is a bit small, it can definitely handle social media and maps.

Welcome to my world.

Last year I "lost" 6 iPhones.

This year? 0 so far. Knock on wood.

Quote: (04-26-2014 11:25 PM)bacon Wrote:  

@suits

Now I understand why suits is your username

I can only imagine why your username is bacon.

I'm the King of Beijing!

I believe there is smartphone available in High Point, NC.

Cheap.

Quote: (04-27-2014 12:01 AM)Christian McQueen Wrote:  

Welcome to my world.

Last year I "lost" 6 iPhones.

This year? 0 so far. Knock on wood.

SIX?! Unbelievable. I feel better already. Were they all alcohol induced losses or some legit theft?

I've about decided to rock the brick for a while until new phones start coming out in May/June. Is a brick phone a DHV in Moscow if I have a story to go with it? [Image: lol.gif]

Right now I like the HTC and Samsung mini offerings. This is the third total lost iphone for me and I never lost or even broke a Blackberry or other phone before them so I'm deeming iphones inherently unlucky in my case...

Unless you're a fan of a specific brand I don't get why people pay hundreds and hundreds of dollars for a smartphone.

I got this Lumia 520 from the Microsoft store, and I'm happy with it, comes with windows 8 and tiles, which I like as I'm a fan of flat design, you have the maps, GPS and all the apps a hipster chick would want, does everything an expensive iPhone or Samsung does and it's just 59 bucks, no contract.

[Image: Nokia-Lumia-520.jpg]

You don't need to get this specific phone of course, but just get something cheapy that does the work you need.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Unlocked-T...B009QZH49K + http://www.myus.com

That is really expensive for a Galaxy S. An S3 + unblock you can get for in the $200 range here.

I've never lost a phone before. I like to have newer phones due to the cameras. Now I know the obvious response to that is why not just buy a good camera. The thing is when I'm going out at night the last thing I want to bring in my pant pocket is a camera. To me the benefit of a phone with a really good camera is well worth it.

If you buy and sell phones you can somewhat do it like an investment strategy. If you get an S5 figure it will be worth $200 less in 2 years. (before the s7 drops) So you are out $100 a year but you get to keep on getting a better phone as opposed to shelling out $600 or $700 every 2-3 years.

Do you have Find My iPhone enabled in Settings? If yes or don't remember, just login into Apple's iCloud website and login into your account. Then you can track your phone and its current location if you have enabled it.

You can also send an alert to that phone with your number so that the finder can call you at that number.

Good luck finding it!

Generally, I refrain from spending significant amounts of money on:

phones
watches
sunglasses
neckalaces

All of the above are things I know won't last long with me. Always get lost, broken, or stolen.

I don't notice any significant decrease in quality of life from giving them all a pass and sticking with cheap but cool-looking substitutes.

Maybe some gold-digger sluts give me a pass because of this decisions, but I'm not losing any sleep over that. I've also banged some gold-diggers who knew I had no gold to speak of, so there you go.

Beyond All Seas

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.
To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes
frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Kipling

I lost my $400+ new smart phone when I went clubbing and got drunk. I now use my previous phone which I dropped 3 times since the end of last year, so the screen is broken. I'm kind of afraid of buying a new expensive phone. When I buy one, I'll probably go for a cheaper one and get a bumper cover for it.

Quote: (04-26-2014 11:04 PM)presidentcarter Wrote:  

The only new iphone I can find on sale here is almost $1,000. But I can get something to satisfy my needs for less than half that. I think you struck a chord here: "So, if a smart phone is that one thing that really gives your life an upgrade, enjoy it."

But I still may go a while with the brick just to teach myself a lesson.

Prescarter, I feel your pain, I lost my Iphone (stolen) in Moscow Friday as well. I went to the MTS store to get a new one and a SIM and the guy is trying to steer me towards the Iphone5 which I think was 30000 Rubles, I started laughing, even the basic Iphone 4 was 500USD, no wonder they are such a hot commodity.

I ended up getting a basic Samsung smartphone that *only* set me back 5000 rubles.

The funny thing is I'm not even mad at the phone, I'm just pissed at losing digits and two months of travel notes that I have no way of recovering.

Also, what is the deal with International Mobile Companies, they couldn't get me my old number back (so I could resync with Whatsapp and salvage some of the girls I was chatting with and had previously banged), because my SIM was from a different part of Russia. Granted I have never lost my phone in the States, but it seems to me that if you wanted to get your old number back you could regardless of where you are. Hell you can even change your same number to a different carrier. Although this was a prepaid SIMs so maybe that's why.

Why is it just iPhone vs. basic cellphone? Why not go for a low-range smartphone? You're not running rocket launch simulations on it, it's just for a few simple apps. It doesn't need to have a camera with more pixels than your eye and an 8-core processor. That way, if you lose one, it won't hurt nearly as much, and you'll still get all your needs filled.

"Imagine" by HCE | Hitler reacts to Battle of Montreal | An alternative use for squid that has never crossed your mind before

PrezCarter, Fisto and McQueen need one of these;

[Image: z-connector-silver-link-500x500.jpg]

Man there is definitely a business in selling unlocked phones abroad.

I wonder if you mailed them and just risked the occasional one getting caught if you could turn a good profit.

Do you think the end consumer cares if the charging requires an adapter? I.e. US power plug different than rest of world.

Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm." And the warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."

Women and children can be careless, but not men - Don Corleone

Great RVF Comments | Where Evil Resides | How to upload, etc. | New Members Read This 1 | New Members Read This 2

Samsam, i am pretty sure iphones are dual voltage, so you could probably include a cheap us/euro adapter that costs like $.50 or if you want to go higher end find a bulk deal on the euro plug/usb adapter to make it official.

Quote: (04-27-2014 11:39 AM)Pacesetter20 Wrote:  

The funny thing is I'm not even mad at the phone, I'm just pissed at losing digits and two months of travel notes that I have no way of recovering.

If you have a smartphone, always sync your contacts with your google account. Lose a phone - no problem, just synch the new phone with your google account and your contacts and numbers are restored.
Notes? Use Evernote, it syncs across devices through the cloud rather than storiing anything on the device.

Quote: (04-27-2014 01:10 AM)Teutatis Wrote:  

Unless you're a fan of a specific brand I don't get why people pay hundreds and hundreds of dollars for a smartphone.

I got this Lumia 520 from the Microsoft store, and I'm happy with it, comes with windows 8 and tiles, which I like as I'm a fan of flat design, you have the maps, GPS and all the apps a hipster chick would want, does everything an expensive iPhone or Samsung does and it's just 59 bucks, no contract.

[Image: Nokia-Lumia-520.jpg]

You don't need to get this specific phone of course, but just get something cheapy that does the work you need.

Does anyone know of an Android-based phone at this price-range (sub-$100) that they'd recommend?