rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Rick & Morty: A Modern Tale Of An Alcoholic And An Incipient Beta

[Image: Rick_and_Morty_opening_credits.jpeg]

Rick & Morty is a new cartoon on Adult Swim. It was created by Dan Harmon (creator of Community) and Justin Roiland. You can watch the pilot here, as well as two other episodes.

The premise of the show is a young boy -- Morty -- who lives with his parents who are in a broken, high-conflict marriage. They got married because Morty's father (Jerry) knocked Morty's mother (Beth) up in high school, so Morty has an older sister named Summer. His alcoholic grandfather (Rick) moves in with them, bringing all the baggage he drug Beth through as a child. Beth still idolizes her father, despite his failings. They all live in a middle class home and both Rick & Morty go on all sorts adventures that Rick basically forces Morty into. It is only 5 episodes in, but so far we have an episode with dogs taking over the world while Rick & Morty incept Morty's math teacher, Rick tries to build an amusement park inside a dying alcoholic's body and another where Morty tries to assemble an adventure but they end up arrested for "murdering" a giant and Morty almost gets raped by a pedophile in a bar bathroom.

[Image: rick-and-morty-pilot.jpg]

Rick: Rick is a brilliant scientist with a deeply troubled history. He abandoned Beth's mother at an early age and his history is vague at this point. All we know is that Rick has run from just about any serious emotional or psychological commitment. His extraordinarily intense devotion to science has clearly resulted in a life of sheer brilliance. Second to this devotion is his crippling level of alcoholism. He is seemingly in a perpetual state of drunkenness, with his constant belching, drooling and drinking out of a small drink container; his spaceship is always full of beer bottles. Rick is terminally mean and self-centered. He rarely treats Morty with respect, often just treating him as an object to advance his own ambitions. He does display compassion, but only in extreme situations, such as when he realizes Morty was almost raped.

[Image: 1386872836000-oliver.jpg]

Morty: Morty is a 12 year-old boy who has all the typical trappings of young men his age: just hitting puberty, awkward with girls and a not-yet solidified sense of self. He doesn't have a good relationship with his parents, as his parents are more interested in their own lives than the lives of their children. His sister, Summer, immerses herself in the mindless trivialities that most girls her age, 16, drown themselves in. As for Morty, we don't know too much about his interests at this point, as Morty exists primarily as an extension of Rick. He shows an interest in video games and nurses a gigantic crush on a girl named Jessica at his school.

The show certainly benefits from the creativity of its writers, who have a biting and dark sense of comedy. Rick has some excellent one liners, as does Morty. The show has very good pace and none of the episodes so far have even been close to clunkers. They came out swinging and have delivered in every episode.

An easy observation about the show is that is a pretty explicit allegory about how alcoholics treat people around them. So far in the show, Rick has almost killed Morty's crush Jessica, let dogs take over the world, exploded a giant, naked Santa hovering over the US in space and turned the entire world -- except Morty's family -- into giant preying mantises, then into "Cronenburgs." Rick exhibits no compassion or empathy and cares only about his scientific exploits and his incessant drinking. The episode that featured the amusement park has Rick sitting back, nursing a drink as Morty and his crew are facing death from diseases like Hepatitis B attacking them.

A wider view is that the show is an allegory for how late-narcissistic societies operate. The young Morty is somebody who -- in class -- might wonder aloud why blacks didn't just rise up and challenge slavery and racism. The nervous fidgeting of his female classmates might tell part of the story, maybe a black classmate might have stray thoughts about Morty's "racism," but what Morty would be showing is how he hasn't learned about the system, about America. He hasn't internalized the utter hopelessness of modern America. Like Morty is learning through both his parents and Rick, Morty is quickly learning that he is a cog, a building block in a descending society.

What Morty shows off is the painfully honest idealism of a young man. He entertains notions of romance with a young girl. A girl untainted by the Sexual Revolution who may very well end up on the wrong side of 30, childless and a bitterness that surges through her veins in a way only a person with estrogen also surging through those veins can understand. His aborted attempts to connect with Jessica has always been thwarted by Rick, as Rick either gives Morty bad tactics (when he provided Morty with a love potion) or prevents him from connecting with her when she shows interest (the pilot). Blocked from experiencing life as any young boy needs to in order to grow, he is shunted into Rick's fantasy world.

[Image: 1454774_10152042978711745_338571464_n.jpg]

Rick displays a startling levels of indifference towards Morty's parents (Jerry and Beth). One episode starts with Rick and Morty walking into the kitchen, as Jerry is -- yet again -- fretting over his tenuous relationship with Beth. Rick grabs a generic beer from the fridge, pops it open and wonders aloud, "Yeah I get, you knocked up my daughter, Jerry. Most marriages end in failure so who cares." Morty is mortified, as is Jerry, but Rick doesn't care. He tells Morty to follow him and as Morty is learning he just does what Rick says.

This is a subtle allegory to how adherence to narcissism works. Morty's sublimation of his identity into Rick's desires is clearly indicative of an unhealthy relationship, but given Rick's only concern with his interest in his identity and his alcoholism, it is a narcissistic relationship. What Rick is showing Morty is how modern America works. You either get busy conforming and doing what you are told by "experts" in media or you get busy identifying yourself as somebody who is a problem. Your existence, at times, is painfully aware to those around you, like in Inception.

Morty is quickly learning that to play the narcissistic game and seek their approval is a fools errand, but a game he doesn't know how to escape. Much like most American men, they can feel the bombs going off around them, but have no idea where they are coming from. They see their fathers stripped naked in divorce court, they see their friends treated like dry husks of meat by indifferent females. Guys might play the MRA game and talk about "misandry," but that is just as misguided as women bitching about "misogyny." The system doesn't hate you, it simply doesn't care about you at all. Stop trying to convince yourself that the system gives two squirts of piss about you; we are all nothing but one face in a sea of millions.

As for Morty, personally, he is realizing his own lack of autonomy and ability to find love a young boy needs. His own sister has already strung up the white flag and is completely superficial and addicted to social media as a substitute for real, human connection. His parents? Still arguing, having 3 out of 7 good days and more interested in their own self-image. Beth sees herself as a woman trapped in a failing relationship, but does nothing to ameliorate the situation. Jerry feels he doesn't deserve Beth and ports this out as jealousy and weak, controlling behavior. Jerry is a classic beta whose problems stem from believing he doesn't measure up as a man and is threatened by people who he perceives to be better than him.

The truth is that Morty is the typical young boy who will most likely become a beta. He might end up like Rick, who has alpha cred with his indifference, brilliance and naked self-absorption. Yet, we see what train Rick enters the station as: a man who will die from his own addictions and predilections. However, most likely, Morty will end up a listless beta, one who has no sense of healthy family life nor the ability to be independently attractive to females. He will have fantastic stories to tell -- as any boy who endured such abuse has -- but will never do anything but pique a woman's interest temporarily.

That being said, you may think that the show is more art than science, but the truth is that anybody who has endured such untoward childhood experiences has a vast array of stories to relate. I have a female friend whose alcoholic father has resulted in her having a litany of engaging -- but deeply saddening -- stories to tell. Just like Morty, she has so many fantastical stories that a regular, healthy listener could question the story-teller. Sure, she isn't talking about building theme parks inside a homeless alcoholic, but the stories are similar in the sense they are both fantastical and disturbing.

[Image: rShu76B.jpg]

In many ways, Morty is undergoing what so many men have undergone -- a long-term mourning -- when you come to terms with reality. The hangover from being "red pill" -- or whatever that term means now -- can be crushing. Like receiving a call that former friend has committed suicide, all you can do is sit back and let the realization wash over you. Morty certainly hasn't committed suicide, but his innocence is next on the executioner's block.

We all have to admit reality a good bit just to exist -- even "blue pill" guys have to admit certain realities are truth just to function. However, we all need to admit many "red pills" ideas to flourish in society. It may be subconscious, but we all need to realize certain truths in order to succeed in modern society. This should come from fathers and handed down to their sons, but we all now the paucity of quality fathering in modern society. Morty exemplifies this, as his own father is primarily interested in his flailing relationship with Morty's mother. Summer and Morty are nothing but afterthoughts for both Jerry and Beth.

What is most striking is Morty's fall from innocence that Rick dispassionately forces. He takes a young boy, making the most of his terrible, yet unremarkable, childhood and forces him into the role of a hero. This is no saccharine tale of a young boy finding heroism; no, Morty is forced into his role and needs to succeed just to survive. Morty isn't a hero of his choosing, but a boy desperate to survive his next scare with a giant, naked Santa or falling off a cliff. Just like the system in his real life, Morty knows that Rick doesn't truly care about him. Morty will chase the possibility of approval -- like homosexuals chase gay marriage -- but the system will only approve of anything because it is beneficial to the system. This isn't about love or compassion, but the bottom line, labor costs. Morty costs nothing as far as Rick is considered.

The last aired episode -- Rick Potion #9 -- had a curious ending. Rick punts the ball again, using a time machine to travel into a world where Rick didn't destroy the world but one where Rick and Morty die quickly after saving the world. Taking the places of their recently deceased selves has Morty's mind completely blown. They bury the bodies of their other selves in the backyard and they go inside. Rick grabs a beer and Morty walks through his home -- as his parents are arguing, yet again -- shell-shocked as he can't fathom living in a world where everybody died, but exist as approximations of themselves to Morty.

That is a chilling allegory of narcissism. You can sense the people around you, but they nothing but projections to you. They don't exist as independent people, but people whom you have detailed dossiers on. They are nothing but jagged, fragmented memories; broken ideals about who they are or who they should be. What is qualitatively lacking is a real appreciation for their independence.

Most importantly, Morty shows he isn't this. The lines under his eyes as he slogs past his parents shows he is used to this reflexive unhappiness; that parental failure is a given in his life. He shoves off to sit beside his sister on the couch. Summer is mindlessly on social media, yet again. Morty sits backs, his mouth agap as he contemplates his new reality, with the same inhabitants, but in a new, alternate world.

Morty represents the chasm any man versed in "red pill" theory inhabits: either you get busy educating yourself or you get busy stockpiling ignorance. You could say he saw the other side in "Rick Potion #9" and while that episode might have multiple interpretations, it still is a fair reading. Morty is a young man asked to make decisions he is too young to make and ones that his father should have a great and positive influence in making.

All that being said and done, Rick and Morty has all the trappings to be a great show, but what is most salient about the show is how they encapsulate the American engineering of a beta through the lens of a dying alcoholic.

Quote:Old Chinese Man Wrote:  
why you wonder how many man another man bang? why you care who bang who mr high school drama man

New season starts tonight:

why you wonder how many man another man bang? why you care who bang who mr high school drama man

The Simpsons/Rick and Morty couch gag was amazing!
way better than the Family guy crossover.

I'm one of the luckiest man alive, nothing in my life has been easy...

Sounds like a terrible show to watch.

Is it available on netflix?

Edit:

It's on primewire. Pilot was good.

G

Thats an excellent write up, ill have to at least check out the pilot. Will report back later.

I'm glad you made a thread for this show, I was planning to do so tonight but forgot. I've already seen tonight's episode and the next one, as they leaked weeks ago, and they're up to the same absurdly high level of quality that the first season managed. I honestly think it is the best show that has ever aired on [adult swim], which is high praise as I consider The Venture Bros to be one of my favorite television shows ever.

If you have an interest in high-concept sci-fi, seeing the cartoon medium pushed to the very limits, or just enjoy watching the absurd; this is your show. The episode with Mr. Meeseeks almost made me piss myself.

FYI 2Wycked you're a few episodes behind. The first season has 11 episodes and ends with the best house party ever. Season 2 picks up exactly where this left off, so go catch up!

I am confused because OnDemand don't put up every episode but The amusement park and upstaging the devil saleman really show Rick obession with science. No ingorance on his watch by tweaking the saleman' s side effects. If his theory on science don't work, he is on to the next one such as using Summer' s boyfriend as the next subject for his continued work of his human amusent park. Shoot my favorite one was the Rick trial. When one of the Rick ask Rick if he would like a Morty insurance was funny, but was a constant way of saying Morty is nothing but a guniea pig for Rick. But the ending gave you a hint that Morty might evolve from that title and it will backfire on Rick.

I f*cking LOVE this cartoon. No shame, most of my favorite shows on TV are cartoons.

Anybody catch the episode last night?

As one of my followers on Twitter pointed out, there was a cuckservative storyline last season when Jerry's Dad was letting his wife swing with that black dude.

In a similar vein, this episode (no real spoiler, but still) has Rick place Jerry in a daycare with other Jerrys. As expected, Jerry's frustrated arrogance is only outstripped by his incompetence.

Jerry might be the most interesting minor character. His whole "hopelessly incompetent white father" persona is completely castrated by Rick's presence.

I am shockingly impressed by the first two episodes. The Inception parody completely outclassed the one done by South Park, and the humor is nothing less than fascinating and artistic. The way it just got more and more unstable and then dovetailed into a parody of a certain other franchise, and executed the finest twofer I've ever seen.

This could very well be the greatest animation ever aired on Adult Swim. Wow. I'm pretty pleased that I just discovered this now and have a good buffer of episodes to watch.

As an aside, I've been saddened by the impending end of South Park. Rick & Morty has cheered me up on that front.

Rick & Morty forever and for a hundred years, running around, Rick & Morty a hundred times, over and over again Rick & Morty.com adventures.

It only gets better.

The fucking poptarts.

This buffer of episodes is not going to last long.

South park got renewed, what do you mean?

New season out? This show is the tits

South Park (like Family Guy and The Simpsons) is a shell of its former self. The show isn't even written by Matt and Trey anymore, they just voice th characters.

I'm looking forward to the day they get put to pasture. The Simpsons especially is done. It' time to kill it.

Anyone watch Animation Domination on FXX?

"Roy: A Life We'll Lived"

Quote: (08-04-2015 06:43 AM)The Beast1 Wrote:  

South Park (like Family Guy and The Simpsons) is a shell of its former self. The show isn't even written by Matt and Trey anymore, they just voice th characters.

It's still very much written by Trey Parker. They've been quoted as saying they'll continue doing the show until it gets cancelled. While it's not "amazing" - their turn around time for producing an episode is INCREDIBLE (6 days). Simpsons and Family Guy are both past their prime, but South Park is still thriving- where at the very least it's still 'good'.

As for Rick and Morty it feels like the kind of show I would have loved at age 14. As of now it's simply just good/great. It feels like Futurama if they made Bender and the Professor one character.

South Park struggles. They're at a one out of four hit rate of murderously hilarious episodes, like Cock Magic or Grounded Vindaloop. One is funny but not gut-bustingly so. One is mediocre like the Redskins episode, and the last one completely falls flat. The Black Friday trilogy was not that long ago.

Not that there's anything in common between the two shows beyond them both being animated. I appreciate that Rick & Morty isn't based on political or social/pop culture satire (aside from their complete demolition of Inception). Characters grow and the show isn't beholden to the status quo. In the first few episodes Morty snaps and rebels against Rick's control, and though they keep embarking on their adventures, Rick is revealed to be a three-dimensional character who does care about his grandson.

I started feeling that the show could very well start credibly developing its own sci-fi setting. Flesh out a few solar systems and major characters. There's Rick and the Igerian scammers. The crazy arcade in the second season trailer. The spaceport where they had to smuggle megaseeds and other contraband through.

Gem from the latest episode:

"They just put you at the center of their lives because you're powerful and then because they put you there they want you to be LESS powerful."

Sums up women in LTRs, as well as beta orbiters/AFCs, quite nicely.

Quote:Quote:

Morty is quickly learning that to play the narcissistic game and seek their approval is a fools errand, but a game he doesn't know how to escape. Much like most American men, they can feel the bombs going off around them, but have no idea where they are coming from. They see their fathers stripped naked in divorce court, they see their friends treated like dry husks of meat by indifferent females. Guys might play the MRA game and talk about "misandry," but that is just as misguided as women bitching about "misogyny." The system doesn't hate you, it simply doesn't care about you at all. Stop trying to convince yourself that the system gives two squirts of piss about you; we are all nothing but one face in a sea of millions.

I would rep you again if I hadnt done so already. This is absofuckinglutely brilliant.

How has the second season held up to the first? The only episode of season 2 I saw was the first.

I'd give it a 4 out of 5.

“I have a very simple rule when it comes to management: hire the best people from your competitors, pay them more than they were earning, and give them bonuses and incentives based on their performance. That’s how you build a first-class operation.”
― Donald J. Trump

If you want some PDF's on bodyweight exercise with little to no equipment, send me a PM and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

I like how certain stuff from the first season comes up in the second season. Coherent plot. Such as Rick saying God is not real. Have to take the bandaid off sooner or later. In the very first episode of the 2nd season have him trying to rapidly fix the time problem from the final episode off the 1st season. Deep down he care about humanity as he sacrifice himself for Morty and pray for God. To the last time rift when he comes through, he instantly stop praying and curse God. Also note how Summer and Jerry are getting more involve with the adventures with Summer seeking for approval while Jerry attempt to meddle in to ensure his manhood. Beth and Jerry marriage is like an obvious riddle to everyone. The trapped alien in the basement even pointed it out. Funny as hell. The best thing is that Morty is starting to defy Rick orders. Sure he create as many problems as Rick, but he is getting there.

Man I love this show so much. The adventures of stealy had me in stitches.

So far so good.

And 2Wycked. Fuck you.

Now I'm hooked onto the show.

G

Even though it's impossible to recapture the sheer magic and wonder of the first International Cable episode, I thought the sequel to it held up very well in terms of the individual sketches/commercials. Adventures of Stealy, Funny Songs, Plumbuses, Eyeholes, Lil' Bits, Jan Quadrant Vincent 16, and Octopus-Man were all amazing. But part of what made Rixty Minutes so incredible was how completely unexpected it was in addition to the sketch hilariousness, and the B-plot was subpar this time around.