rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Bought a One Way Ticket To Manila...

So I have been wanting to return to Asia for over 2 years and that for me, is an eternity! Today, at work, I spent the majority of the day not doing any work, pretending to be working but while looking and searching on my phone for tickets to Asia. Didn't find anything satisfactorily until I came home tonight. Went on Expedia and for the sake of it, searched for a 1 way just for the heck to it. I'd always dreamed of buying a one way to Asia or South America or Eastern Europe but never had the guts to actually doing it despite having travelled extensively. So I entered the dates for early April and what happened next was simply to hard to refuse: A one way ticket from Boretown to Manila for only 648 bucks for early April! I had to double check to make sure it was not a typo, and when I got the confirmation, booked it 2 minutes later.

Now, I have 2.5 months to make it happen. By that, I mean, rebuilding another biz online that would allow me to stay there for an indefinite amount of time. This time, not making the same mistakes of last time around in BKK, which was over partying and little to no work whatsoever. I'll simply have to stop goofing around and just put in the hours at night and weekends to start from almost scratch and get rolling.

Some questions:
- how is Philippines Airlines for international trans Pacific flights? I only flew with them on my initial trip from BKK to Cebu via MNL and they were decent, but that was a relatively short trip compared to almost 19 hours in the air with them.
- should I buy a cheap outgoing flight from MNL on say Air Asia to cover my ass in case they give me any hard time before embarking on the plane or upon landing in MNL?
- How's the weather there from April on? I realize it's their summer, when is the rainy/typhoon season and which areas are best to avoid during the typhoon season?

I want to spend a good chunk of my time in Davao and explore there for biz and lifestyle and use it as a base for the next few months. Am I making a mistake in choosing Davao as opposed to Manila? Or even Cebu? I wasn't impressed with Cebu in my 3 weeks there 3 years ago.

I'll use that thread to document my time there. Needless to say, anyone who will be there, let me know and we'll go have drinks and hunting together.

Pilipinas, Here I come!!!![Image: banana.gif]

I'm not sure I'll still be in Davao by April, but I'll likely be in the Phils. Davao was my first choice but I want to hit up Tagbilaran/Alona Beach and Manila, too.

I'm from the southeastern US so it was cheaper to buy a ticket to Cali and then fly out from there. There's a long layover, so my plan is to check-in as early as possible. I have a knack for talking to customer service so I doubt they'll mention an onward ticket, but if they do I'm going to pretend I have an e-ticket but my phone is dead. If that doesn't work, I'll have plenty of time to step to the side and use my tablet ("oh silly me I forgot I had this thing in here" [Image: lol.gif]) to purchase one. A ticket would only be like $50 (you could definitely get one cheaper if you act early) but there's no use throwing the money away if I don't have to.

I did some research on Philippines Airlines and they sound decent. The consensus seems to be that most Asian airlines trump their Western counterparts.

The weather, in Davao at least, seems to stay pretty consistent across the board temperature wise but I'm not sure about rain/typhoon so I'm looking forward to any insight someone may drop in that regard.

Philippine air seems to be on the same level as Delta, United when it comes to comfort.
You will have better service though.

A man is only as faithful as his options-Chris Rock

Cheers mate. I'll be doing the same thing to Mainland China in February. One way, all the way!

I'm the King of Beijing!

Nice!

Hey VP, congrats.

I spent a week or 2 in both Davao and Cebu in 2012. They each have a different "feel" about them, but I kind of felt that Davao was a smaller place than Cebu.

My 2 weeks in Davao included the holy week before Easter, which was a disaster for meeting girls, as most of them were supposed to stay at home.

My initial plans were to avoid Manila because most people said it was a shit hole, but as I spent some time transiting through, then staying there more, I started to figure out how to cherry pick the nicer parts of Metro Manila.

If you buy a re bookable ticket with Philippines airlines be aware that you need to go to one of their offices to re book it and that the lines are for hours. And you need to bring your passport.

Don't actually purchase a return ticket out of the Phil. Sure the airline asks and sometimes immigration in the Phil does too but that doesn't mean you need to really buy one. Just go on Expedia, create an account, save a planned itinerary from say MNL to BKK and then email that to yourself. Cut and paste it into Word and remove the place where it says "NOT BOOKED YET" with "CONFIRMED"

Bam. You now have a return ticket with your name and flight number. I've done this at least a half dozen times all over the world. Always works. If you really want to make it legit add a fake booking number after "CONFIRMED".

Awesome man.

That's great. You'll be out of Toronto soon. So cold here right now.

Quote: (01-21-2014 11:50 PM)nomadicdude Wrote:  

Don't actually purchase a return ticket out of the Phil. Sure the airline asks and sometimes immigration in the Phil does too but that doesn't mean you need to really buy one. Just go on Expedia, create an account, save a planned itinerary from say MNL to BKK and then email that to yourself. Cut and paste it into Word and remove the place where it says "NOT BOOKED YET" with "CONFIRMED"

Bam. You now have a return ticket with your name and flight number. I've done this at least a half dozen times all over the world. Always works. If you really want to make it legit add a fake booking number after "CONFIRMED".

Yeah this is important. They won't let you board unless you have an onward "ticket."

Buy the cheapest onward ticket right before your flight from Orbits for 21-30 days after you arrive. You can easily cancel it after you land in Manila for a full refund. Be sure to cancel it within 24-48 hours after you land.

Quote: (01-21-2014 09:31 PM)Vacancier Permanent Wrote:  

So I have been wanting to return to Asia for over 2 years and that for me, is an eternity! Today, at work, I spent the majority of the day not doing any work, pretending to be working but while looking and searching on my phone for tickets to Asia. Didn't find anything satisfactorily until I came home tonight. Went on Expedia and for the sake of it, searched for a 1 way just for the heck to it. I'd always dreamed of buying a one way to Asia or South America or Eastern Europe but never had the guts to actually doing it despite having travelled extensively. So I entered the dates for early April and what happened next was simply to hard to refuse: A one way ticket from Boretown to Manila for only 648 bucks for early April! I had to double check to make sure it was not a typo, and when I got the confirmation, booked it 2 minutes later.

Now, I have 2.5 months to make it happen. By that, I mean, rebuilding another biz online that would allow me to stay there for an indefinite amount of time. This time, not making the same mistakes of last time around in BKK, which was over partying and little to no work whatsoever. I'll simply have to stop goofing around and just put in the hours at night and weekends to start from almost scratch and get rolling.

Some questions:
- how is Philippines Airlines for international trans Pacific flights? I only flew with them on my initial trip from BKK to Cebu via MNL and they were decent, but that was a relatively short trip compared to almost 19 hours in the air with them.
- should I buy a cheap outgoing flight from MNL on say Air Asia to cover my ass in case they give me any hard time before embarking on the plane or upon landing in MNL?
- How's the weather there from April on? I realize it's their summer, when is the rainy/typhoon season and which areas are best to avoid during the typhoon season?

I want to spend a good chunk of my time in Davao and explore there for biz and lifestyle and use it as a base for the next few months. Am I making a mistake in choosing Davao as opposed to Manila? Or even Cebu? I wasn't impressed with Cebu in my 3 weeks there 3 years ago.

I'll use that thread to document my time there. Needless to say, anyone who will be there, let me know and we'll go have drinks and hunting together.

Congrats bro!! I am excited for you VP!!!

Philippine Airlines (PAL) is a bit more expensive than the bigger carriers, but Filipinos prefer it since they can usually fly non-stop from as far as San Francisco to Manila. Fun Fact: If you are on such a PAL flight... as soon as the wheels of the plane touches ground in Manila, there will always, ALWAYS, be an applause from everyone on board. It's a Pinoy thing.

For flying out to nearby countries or within the Philippines, I recommend Cebu Pacific Airlines or Tiger Air. Nice, cheap, and reliable. Watch out for off season promos... Last September I flew to Palawan from Manila for like $20.

Typhoon season kicks in mid-June and rages until about October-ish. March, Apr, May are the hot summer months.

I've heard Davao is really nice. Never been there though, but I've heard stories from my friends. At least spend a few days in Manila, so that you'll be able to have a good comparison. I'll hook you up in both cities if you want. Manila, a friend of mine owns the Penthouse and is definitely a sweet ass place to bring a chick. As for Davao, my fraternity brother owns Hotel Vicente. As a disclaimer: I don't earn any kickbacks for referring anyone to them. In fact, I might be able to get you brownie points with the management for a more perks and a more pleasant stay if you're willing to try them out.

If you need anything else, bro, feel free to ask. My ties to that part of the world still run strong. [Image: biggrin.gif]

Enjoy!

VP, fair play man.

Keep us updated on how your getting on. I'm finding this damn inspiring.

I've booked my tickets for my trip to Phils (March to early April). I'm planning to spend time in Manila, Cebu, Davao, maybe others...

After this trip I have the feeling I'm going to want to pull a similar move myself.

VP just wondering..what happened to your plans to go to the oil sands?

Quote: (01-24-2014 07:42 AM)pitt Wrote:  

VP just wondering..what happened to your plans to go to the oil sands?

I think he is there, isn't he?

Awesome! Have fun bro. Build the fuck out of that business and inspire everyone with your determination!

Enjoy man! Donig the same this year only I already have some online-income and some savings. I dont think I'd have the guts to go with nothing and build sth up in 2,5 months.

Quote: (01-21-2014 09:31 PM)Vacancier Permanent Wrote:  

[Image: Strip.gif][Image: Strip.gif][Image: Strip.gif][Image: banana.gif][Image: Strip.gif][Image: Strip.gif][Image: Strip.gif]

Beyond All Seas

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.
To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes
frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Kipling

Vacancier, I think you should give Toronto a few more chances, lizards are rife there, there are a few datasheets I can recommend..and if you approach 30 a night..you can come away with a 'thick' 5, bro..don't give up yet, I got your back holmes....

OUR NEW BLOG!

http://repstylez.com

My NEW TRAVEL E-BOOK - DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - A RED CARPET AFFAIR

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K53LVR8

Love 'em or leave 'em but we can't live without lizardsssss..

An Ode To Lizards

Go VP Go!
[Image: highfive.gif][Image: agree.gif]

Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm." And the warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."

Women and children can be careless, but not men - Don Corleone

Great RVF Comments | Where Evil Resides | How to upload, etc. | New Members Read This 1 | New Members Read This 2

Thanks guys for the support! I'm super excited and can't freaking wait to get there.

ScottFree,
Thanks for the referrals in Manila and Davao, I will def take you up on that! When you return to the Phils, let me know as I owe you a ton of drinks for all the tips and gems you've been giving me both here and on Skype!!! Much appreciated brother!

There is a direct flight between YYZ and MNL with PAL but its seasonal, so I will have a connection In Vancouver. Yeah I remember the clapping on my trip to Cebu via MNL from BKK, that's cool.

Moma,
Oh don't get me wrong TO's lizards are top notch and I don't think any where else has girls who can compete let alone beat with the fine fine fine ladees of Toronto! They truly are on a different scale and planet. Every playa worth his salt must come here to the source of the bestest of the best females on Earth!!![Image: wink.gif] I'm just tired of the cold otherwise this place is unbeatable! [Image: wink.gif] you should come back here man you will be blown away! If you think t was good before, wait till you see it now![Image: wink.gif] I'm sure all the other fellow Boretownians can attest to that fact, right boys?[Image: smile.gif]

Yo BB,
When are you coming to the Phils man? I'm sure you'll enjoy it there.

Pitt/Rio,
I was in the oil sands in the fall but returned home as it was dead in my trade and the extreme cold there was simply unbearable. My original plan was to return to the sands in April when the weather gets better, but the past few weeks, I've been doing a lot of thinking. I had a successful online biz before, I have the skills to do it again, it's just a matter for me to stop being lazy and goofing too much. The oil sands are always going to be here. But if I get another biz going, then I won't need the sands. The allure of the sands is HUGe and so is the potential, even life changing, but I want to get back to the globe trotting lifestyle I had before.

Found this on Davao which is pretty hard to believe yet very good to hear and know!!!
http://www.sunstar.com.ph/davao/local-ne...ies-297317

Anyone been there recently? These figures look good!
http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/cit...city=Davao

Some real estate sites I've found which may also be of interest to others in here:

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/cit...city=Davao
http://www.davaoestate.com/web_forrent.htm

@ScottFree: Great info, as usual. Any idea on the monthly rates at The Penthouse?

@VP: I read somewhere on here that Davao elected a real hard ass of a mayor who cracked down heavy on crime in recent years.

@BB: Yeah, when you coming to the Phils, man? Join the party.

Yo BB,
You have an open invitation to come hang out in Davao. It's the best city in the Phils in terms of lifestyle, infinitely cleaner and safer than Mania, as per the above article I posted earlier, ( http://www.sunstar.com.ph/davao/local-ne...ies-297317 ) much cheaper than Manila and even Cebu for that matter, great beaches nearby, of course filled with the trademarked sweet Pinays. Some even say ths s the home of the hottest and best girs in the land...Oh and as a very nice bonus, there are a few heavy hitters from the DC based there. If you come there while Im there, I'll plug you into that network.

Quote: (01-21-2014 11:50 PM)nomadicdude Wrote:  

Or you can buy the cheapest onward ticket available, say, for the next visa run.