rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

If You Could Choose Another Profession, What Would It Be & Why?

[Image: most%2Bprofitable%2Bprofessions.jpg]

I recently have been thinking about my future vis-a-vie my job.

If you could pick a different profession, what would it be. Most importantly, why?

If you are an older guy, any advice for a 20-something guy with a top 25 law degree who isn't necessarily interested in pursuing legal career is welcome.

Quote:Old Chinese Man Wrote:  
why you wonder how many man another man bang? why you care who bang who mr high school drama man

Love my job, but honestly if I had the foresight, I would have really pursued something in IT- web development or programming.

Trying to find a good technical co-founder for my online business is a nightmare. Would have rather just learnt it all since high-school and done everything myself, instead of relying on others now.. much easier developing a location-independent lifestyle that way, instead of physically seeing people in the clinic!

2Wycked, doesn't a law degree give you flexibility in the business world i.e. anything corporate? Or do you want to hang up the suit all together?

If you're not growing, you're dying.

Quote: (01-08-2014 04:34 AM)2Wycked Wrote:  

If you are an older guy, any advice for a 20-something guy with a top 25 law degree who isn't necessarily interested in pursuing legal career is welcome.

A professional degree may be looked favorably upon in society but you will have more free time and freedom, and good money still, as an electrician.

Quote: (01-08-2014 06:31 AM)Yeti Wrote:  

What would you do if money was no issue?

That's called a hobby.

I'm an accountant, but my passion (and more importantly, skill/talent) lies in music - singing/songwriting.

I know, if it truly came down to it and I had limited options to generate an income, I could make a living from it. The thing is, it would be meagre at best, and I'm not really into the starving artist thing. Earnings may improve over time, but I have no illusion that I'll somehow be discovered and be wading in cash.

Instead, I have a career where passion doesn't really enter into the equation, but the upside is it pays very well, and is extremely secure.

I'll save my passions as hobbies, that way I'm not putting pressure on myself to perform, and can truly enjoy myself when pursuing them.

The problem with a law degree is your under qualified to do law without work experience but you're over qualified for entry level business positions yet again under qualified for the next level up. Your best bet is to get a summer associate position in an area of law that's related to field you want to go into, get an offer to work as a full time lawyer in that field, and then after a couple of years make the jump to the related industry.

10 to 15 years ago a law degree could get hired for many of the same positions as an MBA. But as things have become more specialized, a law degree, which is fairly general, has been pushed out for more specific expertise regarding job positions. Even the mba is having similar issues for the same reason.

As for my career, I'm quite happy where I'm at now but it took a good amount of time and cash to make the leap from the law path to analytics. Thankfully, i didn't get a law degree even though i did some law clerking. But to get the math credibility and knowledge I had to bs my way into a masters program for stats when I only knew algebra and then bust my ass off to catch up to where the rest of the class was. Got a few breaks in internships and from there things got better.

I would have gotten a comp sci degree and gone into programming. My lit degree is supremely useless.

Anyone advocating getting a liberal arts degree should be shot.

If I could do it all over I'd do something with fitness and nutrition.

The chef lifestyle, especially at the high end, is extremely dark. Great chefs all look like shit, feel like shit, and die young. I've long since given up any dream of reaching culinary mount olympus. It's a sham.

If I could go back I would have started a fitness based lifestyle at 16 and gone from there. I'd take some nutrition and physiology classes, maybe get a degree in physical therapy, and become a health guru in L.A. I'd go around giving seminars and selling the latest fad diet, training a roster of A-list celebrity clients, endorse some gimmicky home gym equipment, be a complete sell-out.

After numerous scandals in southeast asia, I'd be ostracized from the Hollywood crowd. I'd go into hiding for a few years, maybe get a dual citizenship somewhere, and then come back after a few years and write a book about my road to recovery. It'd be a best-seller and my fortune would triple.

"...so I gave her an STD, and she STILL wanted to bang me."

TEAM NO APPS

TEAM PINK

Quote: (01-08-2014 03:49 PM)thedude3737 Wrote:  

If I could do it all over I'd do something with fitness and nutrition.

The chef lifestyle, especially at the high end, is extremely dark. Great chefs all look like shit, feel like shit, and die young. I've long since given up any dream of reaching culinary mount olympus. It's a sham.

If I could go back I would have started a fitness based lifestyle at 16 and gone from there. I'd take some nutrition and physiology classes, maybe get a degree in physical therapy, and become a health guru in L.A. I'd go around giving seminars and selling the latest fad diet, training a roster of A-list celebrity clients, endorse some gimmicky home gym equipment, be a complete sell-out.

After numerous scandals in southeast asia, I'd be ostracized from the Hollywood crowd. I'd go into hiding for a few years, maybe get a dual citizenship somewhere, and then come back after a few years and write a book about my road to recovery. It'd be a best-seller and my fortune would triple.

Dark how? drugs?

I did what others here wanted. I got a master's in computer science and web develop now. Does make it easy to be location independent and just as importantly industry independent.

Rather been a firefighter, cooler stories. Got my EMT cert was gonna EMT and go to paramedic school while waiting for the firefighter exam. It is a long road in the desirable areas to live.

In parts of SoCal the waiting period was 7 years. If you are not an underemployed race your chances are worse unless you are son of a chief.

SENS Foundation - help stop age-related diseases

Quote: (05-19-2016 12:01 PM)Giovonny Wrote:  
If I talk to 100 19 year old girls, at least one of them is getting fucked!
Quote:WestIndianArchie Wrote:
Am I reacting to her? No pussy, all problems
Or
Is she reacting to me? All pussy, no problems

Quote:Quote:

any advice for a 20-something guy with a top 25 law degree who isn't necessarily interested in pursuing legal career is welcome.

This is a tough situation. The main obvious benefit to a Juris Doctorate is it's often a required prerequisite to study for a state bar and practice law. I would argue an ancillary benefit is that legal analysis is good training in harnessing an analytical mind which is helpful in life, but I say that's ancillary because that in itself is not worth the price tag of a law degree.

Depending on your work experience pre-law, the courses you took in law school (i.e. securities, corporate law, mergers), or any corporate experience you have had since, you could possibly go directly into management or strategy consulting for private enterprise. If you like high finance, there's some opportunities there if you network aggressively.

Since you have the degree, and seem to have no compelling alternative to practicing law, you're probably better served getting licensed to practice somewhere if you can bear it. If you're already barred somewhere, great. Get to work.

After a few years of litigation experience, preferably in a specialized area that you like, you would be in a better position to market yourself to non-legal companies needing in-house counsel, a lateral move to another firm, government agencies, strategy consulting firms, or starting your own practice either through yourself or through a partnership.

The ROI from a law degree usually comes many years later after years of experience and networking, unless you're recruited right away into big law in top tier legal markets. You'll see six-figure pay immediately. But it sounds like you may have missed that bus.

Hope this helps.

I'd like to trade jobs with DJ Tiesto.

Edit --

Do you guys think that the whole notion of "doing what you're passionate about" is a just pie in the sky talk? Maybe 5% of people out there if even that are doing a job they would gladly do for free while getting paid well for it. For most of human history, work has never been about self-actualization or passion, it was just a means to survive and provide for family and also contribute to the function of society. But in recent generations, we are told we should do what we love. And that's all good if you can find a well-paying job that aligns with your personal passions, but how many people could possibly do that? Think about all the jobs out there that are absolute necessary but that you can't be passionate about. Are there passionate garbage collectors and elevator inspectors? It would be hard to imagine.

Sometimes I wonder if we as a society should stop telling kids that work should be spiritually fulfilling and what not and gear them more towards practicality. I think Windom Earle up above has a good attitude. He has a stable, good paying job he isn't passionate about, but pursues his passions as hobbies. That's a mature attitude to have. And ultimately more realistic for most people.

if you mean what other stable, respectable field would I want to transfer to at this point in my life, or have pursued but a few years ago, then none, really. I'm content with what I picked. not thrilled but content.

but if you're asking what more colourful road I would have liked to have ventured down from WAY back, like, 8-12 years ago, then I'd say:

1. musician. I played guitar and was in a band in high school and had aspirations. I feel like if i just had the determination and kept at it, with enough time i would've done ok.

2. fitness. take steroids and dispense bullshit training advice and bullshit supplements. create a small empire.

Quote: (01-08-2014 04:27 PM)speakeasy Wrote:  

I'd like to trade jobs with DJ Tiesto.

I'd be a DJ too. The life of Sunnery James is inspiring.

Quote: (01-08-2014 03:59 PM)pheonix500000 Wrote:  

Dark how? drugs?

I'm speaking from experience of working in high end restaurants. This doesn't really apply to me now post-red-pill.

This was my experience in high end and well known restaurants:

Line cooks might be some of the most solipsistic and delusional people today. In many kitchens these days, there is this culture that is obsessive with what they do. Not such a bad thing right? I'm talking about getting tattoos of knives and cooking ingredients. Cooks get tattoos of kitchen phrases on themselves. It's retarded. There's this element to cooking where cooks and chefs feel like they're saving the world somehow, a hugely inflated sense of self-importance. Cooks, chefs, and American women have much in common. Cooks are usually extremely unhealthy, they don't exercise, they eat scraps all day long and get shitfaced after service every night after 12 hours on their feet. They like to talk about how hardcore they are and how hard they party, but imagine a room full of computer nerds talking about how hardcore they party. You'd probably roll your eyes. It's exactly the same. Cooks tend to be compulsive liars and delusional. They're loudmouthed shit-talkers. They're the person in the bar that's first to get in your face and talk all kinds of shit, but when it's time to throw down they'll be the first to pussy out.

Basically, social outcasts that weren't smart enough to get into computer programming become cooks.

It wasn't always like this. The rise of the celebrity chef has brought on this nonsense. Cooking in essence is awesome and the whole reason why I got into this. But kitchen culture is awful. I have maybe 2 friends that I've made in this industry, and that's after working with hundreds of people. Those two friends that I've made, we're friends because the 3 of us are equally disillusioned with the farce that is restaurant work.

I would go so far as to say this: 99% of restaurants are blue-pill. Real men either cook at home or have a woman to cook for them. You can't even get a decent French meal out anymore. It's all turned into this catch-phrase nonsense: "Local, sustainable, craft-cocktail, handmade farm to table gastropub." Bullshit. And all it takes to cook in that restaurant is roast some marrow bones for 15 minutes and top it with a parsley salad. Boom, 16 bucks off of shit that used to get thrown away, and people eat it up and Instagram it like it's some sort of culinary masterpiece.

There's my rant for the day. That's why I work in a hotel now. Higher pay, less hours. You're not gonna see my name in any publications anytime soon but I'll be retired by the time my industry peers have saved their first $1,000.

TEAM NO APPS

TEAM PINK

If you need a visual, this idiot personifies everything I'm talking about: http://chefsinsight.com/jason-quinn/

Places that serve burgers and fries, but pride themselves on not serving ketchup. Fucking douchebags.

It might not be as funny to other people here, but that webpage is one bad joke after another. From the chalkboard boasting about using Melissa's produce, to the stack of seemingly impressive cookbooks, to the tattoos, the pureed piquillos, everything about this guy is a joke, and there are 1000s of clones just like him.

[Image: 02b4419f5e8c5a153baf4b4f34e6f555ea138a6e...2c96db.jpg]

TEAM NO APPS

TEAM PINK

If I followed my music background into a career, it would be working on soundtracks. (But I was never deluded enough to want to go into the music biz).

UN Translator would be cool.

Quote: (01-08-2014 07:03 AM)Windom Earle Wrote:  

Quote: (01-08-2014 06:31 AM)Yeti Wrote:  

What would you do if money was no issue?

That's called a hobby.

I'm an accountant, but my passion (and more importantly, skill/talent) lies in music - singing/songwriting.

I know, if it truly came down to it and I had limited options to generate an income, I could make a living from it. The thing is, it would be meagre at best, and I'm not really into the starving artist thing. Earnings may improve over time, but I have no illusion that I'll somehow be discovered and be wading in cash.

Instead, I have a career where passion doesn't really enter into the equation, but the upside is it pays very well, and is extremely secure.

I'll save my passions as hobbies, that way I'm not putting pressure on myself to perform, and can truly enjoy myself when pursuing them.

PRECISELY my answer...I'm a schooled composer who has done finance/accounting for the past 34 years; soon I'll be able to kiss those debits & credits goodbye and focus on what I was put on this spinning rock for...writing music.

Quote: (01-08-2014 04:47 PM)thedude3737 Wrote:  

If you need a visual, this idiot personifies everything I'm talking about: http://chefsinsight.com/jason-quinn/

Places that serve burgers and fries, but pride themselves on not serving ketchup. Fucking douchebags.

It might not be as funny to other people here, but that webpage is one bad joke after another. From the chalkboard boasting about using Melissa's produce, to the stack of seemingly impressive cookbooks, to the tattoos, the pureed piquillos, everything about this guy is a joke, and there are 1000s of clones just like him.

[Image: 02b4419f5e8c5a153baf4b4f34e6f555ea138a6e...2c96db.jpg]

Dude i dont know what to say, the dude compared himself to a rockstar, that is some hamstering.

I'm only 25, but an older (34) friend of mine w/ a law degree has a cushy federal job. Of course, breaking into the federal government is easier said than done. But once in, many doors open up. In fact, I have so many friends w/ federal jobs (a lot of which are dumb fucks), and it makes me think twice about my own current path. A smart guy like yourself can get pretty high in a cooler branch (presumably after paying your dues) like the FBI, CIA, ICE, etc.

Other benefits:
-older lawyer friend telecommutes 2 days a week
-great healthcare
-cushy retirement, especially if you become an agent, they can retire in less than 20 years w/ 70% of their salary
-depending on the job, lots of travel opps

Of course, the above is just a suggestion so that you don't throw away your hard-earned and expensive law degree. Given the choice to go back, I would have studied Computer Science and Math w/ a stat focus.

I honestly don't mind my job too much, if I could do it all over again, I would have taken an engineering degree or at least a diploma, or maybe even a business degree (instead of my BA) so I would have an easier transition into management in later years, but I'd still rather be doing the work I do now. My job is pretty damn easy on a day to day basis, if I show up to work sober and on time then 90% of the work is done, the clients and tradesmen are pretty easy going guys, its a macho environment but I'd sooner deal with rough men then bitchy women. Of course the downside is that I have to spend a few months each year in industrial shit holes but its really not all that bad.

Dream job: Hunting and fishing guide, I have a buddy who is a guide for an outfitters lodge way up in remote Labrador, Canada. He goes up there to lead groups of men, usually rich Americans who pay something like 10K for a week of shooting huge moose and catching massive salmon, not sure how much money he makes but he truly does what he loves for a living.

USAF fighter pilot.

Pimp or drug dealer, no explanation needed.

In all seriousness, only you know what is, brace yourself all you alphas, in your heart and what you want to do.

Every person here who has been generous enough to share (even the goofy ones) just have a different perspective than you and what they would do is meaningless to you.

Maybe what would be interesting to ask is do they regret going into a profession they trained for even when they knew it wasn't right for them?

I would say no for me since it provided solid business background and pedigree - but I didn't do it for decades just a few years to be seasoned. I just sucked it up.

Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm." And the warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."

Women and children can be careless, but not men - Don Corleone

Great RVF Comments | Where Evil Resides | How to upload, etc. | New Members Read This 1 | New Members Read This 2

Quote: (01-08-2014 05:17 PM)Rotisserie Wrote:  

I'm only 25, but an older (34) friend of mine w/ a law degree has a cushy federal job. Of course, breaking into the federal government is easier said than done. But once in, many doors open up. In fact, I have so many friends w/ federal jobs (a lot of which are dumb fucks), and it makes me think twice about my own current path. A smart guy like yourself can get pretty high in a cooler branch (presumably after paying your dues) like the FBI, CIA, ICE, etc.

Other benefits:
-older lawyer friend telecommutes 2 days a week
-great healthcare
-cushy retirement, especially if you become an agent, they can retire in less than 20 years w/ 70% of their salary
-depending on the job, lots of travel opps

Of course, the above is just a suggestion so that you don't throw away your hard-earned and expensive law degree. Given the choice to go back, I would have studied Computer Science and Math w/ a stat focus.

True..but those benefits are a bit exaggerated. I stayed in local law enforcement because our retirement(20 yrs) was better.I turned down US marshals service. Federal agents have to work to 55. So its 25 years if you come on at 30, or 30 years if you come on at 25. They get about 60% with new tier. Also if you are a federal lawyer as oppose to federal law enforcement(cop,police)you get CIVILIAN retirement benefits Not the LEO ones that are greater.
Yes some positions you travel...but it isn't chasing pussy and party type travel. Basically you are stuck in a hotel/motel with other agents.

As for the guy who wants to be a fireman...go for it! yes we had our badge bunnies but now I KNOW why a lot of cops transfer to fire dept. You get payed to sleep and at 45 you will have more young pussy than a DJ will. Remember, firefighters have groupies(cops to, but not as many). Firefighters get out at 20 or 25 depending on dept. But you literally get paid to spend 80% in the house , eating,working out, playing PC GAMES OR jerking off.They go in uniform picking up girls at the supermarket..while getting paid lol.Most important 99% of women if you approach while working will give you a number. I had flakes and wrong numbers but Never once did a girl EVER refuse a number or conversation at approach. They are conditioned to listen to guys in authority..give you time to spit game. You also get to walk around as an arrogant know it all bastard and GET away with it. Its expected..so even feminists don't complain!

2Wycked clearly needs to become a psychologist.

Quote: (01-08-2014 05:38 PM)scotian Wrote:  

I honestly don't mind my job too much, if I could do it all over again, I would have taken an engineering degree or at least a diploma, or maybe even a business degree (instead of my BA) so I would have an easier transition into management in later years, but I'd still rather be doing the work I do now. My job is pretty damn easy on a day to day basis, if I show up to work sober and on time then 90% of the work is done, the clients and tradesmen are pretty easy going guys, its a macho environment but I'd sooner deal with rough men then bitchy women. Of course the downside is that I have to spend a few months each year in industrial shit holes but its really not all that bad.

Dream job: Hunting and fishing guide, I have a buddy who is a guide for an outfitters lodge way up in remote Labrador, Canada. He goes up there to lead groups of men, usually rich Americans who pay something like 10K for a week of shooting huge moose and catching massive salmon, not sure how much money he makes but he truly does what he loves for a living.

The person I know with the most badass job is a Canadian engineer I met while traveling. He makes serious bank in oil and gas exploration and goes to places no one goes to, whether its riding snowmobiles in Greenland or canoeing down the Zambezi River in Zambia. This dude has seen and done it all.