rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Things you should and shouldn't bring to SEA

I'm not talking about a basic packing list but items that are either very expensive/hard to get/poor quality in Thailand, the Phils, Vietnam, Indonesia, etc. The other side of the coin is just as important...no need to waste packing space on something that is very common and/or cheap in that area.

For instance, a few guys have mentioned that it's hard to find good whey protein at a reasonable price in Thailand. I think I saw someone mention something about sunscreen being pricey out that way too?

What supplements, toiletries, clothes, electronics, food, etc. did you have difficulties getting in SEA? What stuff can you get a better value on there?

I'll be out there soon myself and I'm sure other guys could benefit from the info.

Don't bring pussy.

Beyond All Seas

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.
To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes
frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Kipling

On a serious note, when are you coming out, Enigma? For how long?

Beyond All Seas

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.
To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes
frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Kipling

Quote: (12-28-2013 05:27 PM)Beyond Borders Wrote:  

Don't bring pussy.

+100000 that made laugh pretty good, thanks BB.

Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm." And the warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."

Women and children can be careless, but not men - Don Corleone

Great RVF Comments | Where Evil Resides | How to upload, etc. | New Members Read This 1 | New Members Read This 2

The only things that I can think of to bring would be sun screen as it seems to be more expensive in SEA and maybe face cream/moisturizer if you use those because most of the local ones have whitening cream in them.

When I go back to SE Asia, I will fly to BKK with only a small carry on bag and nothing else. I'll buy everything over there: luggage, custom suits, tee shirts, jeans, electronics, etc, the deals are really that good, although quality can vary.

Quote: (12-28-2013 05:37 PM)Beyond Borders Wrote:  

End of January. I'll be there until I go broke [Image: lol.gif]

I have enough savings for a couple months expenses plus a plane ticket out if I need it, but hopefully my income pays my bills.

I get two pieces of checked baggage free though and I don't really have that much stuff so I'm thinking about other shit I could bring.

Quote: (12-28-2013 06:16 PM)Enigma Wrote:  

Quote: (12-28-2013 05:37 PM)Beyond Borders Wrote:  

End of January. I'll be there until I go broke [Image: lol.gif]

I have enough savings for a couple months expenses plus a plane ticket out if I need it, but hopefully my income pays my bills.

I get two pieces of checked baggage free though and I don't really have that much stuff so I'm thinking about other shit I could bring.

Right on - I'll hit you up before I cross the border back into Thailand and see where you're at. Unless I change plans again (certainly not out of the question lol) it should be end of Jan or early February.

Beyond All Seas

Apple products seem to be cheaper across the range in the US.

They are generally similarly priced in all other countries, and it is significantly higher than in the US.

Enigma,

Have you thought about bringing items to sell to help subsidize your trip?

There was this thread. http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-1735.html

Have fun!

Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm." And the warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."

Women and children can be careless, but not men - Don Corleone

Great RVF Comments | Where Evil Resides | How to upload, etc. | New Members Read This 1 | New Members Read This 2

I took protein from the USA to China then China to the Philippines. Had it in a big bag and it looked like a big bag of blow. I just wrote Protein on it and kept it in my checked suitcase. Never herd anything about it, makes me wonder how easy it would be to smuggle dope. (not that I would ever do it)

I ended up finding Gold Standard Whey in China at Wal Mart (in front of the store in in like a kiosk) for about the same price you get it at here in the States. I'm pretty sure the gym in the Philippines had the Gold standard there to and it was about 10 bucks more then if you bought it in the States.

An take sunscreen its not as common to find in Asia. You can't just pick it up at a gas station on the way to the beach. Them Filipinos dont really tan and burn like us crackers.

Bruising cervix since 96
#TeamBeard
"I just want to live out my days drinking virgin margaritas and banging virgin señoritas" - Uncle Cr33pin

Quote: (12-28-2013 06:01 PM)scotian Wrote:  

The only things that I can think of to bring would be sun screen as it seems to be more expensive in SEA and maybe face cream/moisturizer if you use those because most of the local ones have whitening cream in them.

When I go back to SE Asia, I will fly to BKK with only a small carry on bag and nothing else. I'll buy everything over there: luggage, custom suits, tee shirts, jeans, electronics, etc, the deals are really that good, although quality can vary.

Yeah, you were the person I saw mention sunscreen.

I'm pretty simple for the most part but I'm really particular about certain health and hygiene products. Face products is one of them, so good call.

Quote: (12-28-2013 06:25 PM)Beyond Borders Wrote:  

Right on - I'll hit you up before I cross the border back into Thailand and see where you're at. Unless I change plans again (certainly not out of the question lol) it should be end of Jan or early February.

Word, my plans are no more solid than yours haha. I'm still not sure whether I'm going to hit up Thailand or Davao first. Hitting up one of those white sand, clear water beaches in one of my first priorities though.

Quote: (12-28-2013 06:38 PM)samsamsam Wrote:  

Enigma,

Have you thought about bringing items to sell to help subsidize your trip?

There was this thread. http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-1735.html

Have fun!

That was definitely a consideration. The problem is figuring out what things are cheaper in the US.

@Cr33pin: I personally prefer whey isolate over Gold Standard and that shit is hard enough to find in stores in the US period, let alone at a good price. Planned on putting it in a bag like you did...good to know they didn't hassle you about it. I'm wondering if they'll say anything about my little containers of theanine and phenibut.

GNC stores are in malls in Thailand, Indonesia, Philippines, HK.
A bit expensive.
Some of them have Gold Standard product also.

What about condoms. Will they have XXXL for me?

Jk jk

But seriously, can a dude get condoms of good quality from Thaiald, Malaysia, Philippines, etc?

A man is only as faithful as his options-Chris Rock

CONDOMS.

Yes bring them with you! Local condoms are made for the average sized guy in that country.

Go on Amazon and buy a ton of them before your trip.

Quote: (12-28-2013 10:13 PM)CThunder86 Wrote:  

What about condoms. Will they have XXXL for me?

Jk jk

But seriously, can a dude get condoms of good quality from Thaiald, Malaysia, Philippines, etc?

Whey - GNC is everywhere in SEA. Can be expensive (one of the reasons why local guys are not into bodybuilding) but you can join a membership and get discounts.

Condoms - If you're a Westerner the only brand you will recognize here is Durex (available everywhere). The rest are just local brands you've never heard of.

-If you are a big guy (fat, tall, or muscular) you should bring all your clothes with you. Don't expect stores to carry the same sizes as in north america. If you are a normal sized guy then you can find everything you need in any of the major cities in SEA.

-If you have a size 13 (american sizing) foot or larger you have little chance of finding shoes. Some stores go up to size 12 many stop at 10.

- Buy all your electronics in the USA. Prices in the US on almost any kind of name brand electronics is cheaper.

- Protein, Creatine, etc... can be found if you look hard enough. Sometimes just at the GNC like has been mentioned by Antipodean. It will cost more in Asia. If you want a certain brand you might want to bring it yourself.

- Condoms. This is so important I thought I would mention it twice.

- Download all your music, Movies, TV shows, etc... in the USA. You never know how good your internet speed will be when in Asia.

- If you are a weed guy. Bring a Magic Flight Launch Box unused in its packaging and it is no problem. Just can't travel with it after you use it. You can not buy it here in Asia.

You could easily show up anywhere in any major city in SEA with nothing but the clothes on your back and be just fine. You can get almost anything you need here.

Bringing condoms can't be stressed enough. They do have some "larger" durex condoms. Even when I was able to get a condom that was not so tight I found that many of them could not go the distance which resulted in a lot of breaks. By the way don't just get one box, bring far more than you plan to use.

Depending on how long you're staying maybe an extra stick of deodorant. It always took me a while to find deodorant that did not have the whitening stuff in it.

If you wear sunglasses then bring some good ones from home. Most of the sun glasses sold on the streets will have lenses that will not offer protection from the sun and the real ones will be significantly more than if you had bought them at home.

If you smoke then leave the cigarettes at home because they are cheap as shit in most SEA countries.

Bring baking soda. That's your toothpaste, deodorant and shampoo all handled. If you're staying for a while you can locate some in a supermarket later on, but while you're settling in, or for just a short trip, it's good to have that box of Arm & Hammer.

Dr Johnson rumbles with the RawGod. And lives to regret it.

Quote: (12-28-2013 11:05 PM)DirectDanger Wrote:  

-If you are a big guy (fat, tall, or muscular) you should bring all your clothes with you. Don't expect stores to carry the same sizes as in north america. If you are a normal sized guy then you can find everything you need in any of the major cities in SEA.

-If you have a size 13 (american sizing) foot or larger you have little chance of finding shoes. Some stores go up to size 12 many stop at 10.

- Buy all your electronics in the USA. Prices in the US on almost any kind of name brand electronics is cheaper.

- Protein, Creatine, etc... can be found if you look hard enough. Sometimes just at the GNC like has been mentioned by Antipodean. It will cost more in Asia. If you want a certain brand you might want to bring it yourself.

- Condoms. This is so important I thought I would mention it twice.

- Download all your music, Movies, TV shows, etc... in the USA. You never know how good your internet speed will be when in Asia.

- If you are a weed guy. Bring a Magic Flight Launch Box unused in its packaging and it is no problem. Just can't travel with it after you use it. You can not buy it here in Asia.

You could easily show up anywhere in any major city in SEA with nothing but the clothes on your back and be just fine. You can get almost anything you need here.

This is what I'm talking about! Great info.

Condoms is a good one I hadn't thought about. I hear guys about the GNC thing but I can't seem to find any pure unflavored whey isolate on their site so I'll probably bring that like you suggested.

Quote: (12-28-2013 04:59 PM)Enigma Wrote:  

I'm not talking about a basic packing list but items that are either very expensive/hard to get/poor quality in Thailand, the Phils, Vietnam, Indonesia, etc. The other side of the coin is just as important...no need to waste packing space on something that is very common and/or cheap in that area.

For instance, a few guys have mentioned that it's hard to find good whey protein at a reasonable price in Thailand. I think I saw someone mention something about sunscreen being pricey out that way too?

What supplements, toiletries, clothes, electronics, food, etc. did you have difficulties getting in SEA? What stuff can you get a better value on there?

I'll be out there soon myself and I'm sure other guys could benefit from the info.

Are you planning to work while traveling? If so, buy all your electronics at home. Mouse, chargers, Bluetooth Speakers, computers, headphones, etc.

Like everyone else said - Condoms. Dudes are small here.

I surf, so I travel with all my gear. Boards, board shorts, hats, leashes, etc. So if you do any sort of sport bring your own gear.

I'm very tall. If you are as well bring your own clothes. 34 inseam isn't happen here.

I'm also very picky about products. I bring my own sunscreen (blue lizard, badger, etc.) because the the shit you get here will be the chemical filled garbage.

Vitamins - again, I'm picky and only buy non-synthetic, all nat vits. I travel with my own. You won't get the that quality here.

I also travel with some cooking gear - a small bullet blender, chef knife, and small cast iron pan for steak. Not sure how into cooking you are, but when I'm at a place for 6-9 months I like my steak done right. you might be able to get some of this stuff here, but it's going to be more $$. Of course if you don't have a base to live things at, then travelling with these items is a pain in the ass. I have an apt where I leave things at and travel light from.

The other posters are right too, you could just show up here and be fine. I showed up to BKK back in my early 20s with basically nothing and traveled around SEA for 6 months without an issue. But I wasn't surfing, working, or really renting places and living full time.

If I wasn't working I'd travel as light as possible.

You brought a cast iron pan? Holly shit.

Quote: (01-03-2014 01:13 AM)DirectDanger Wrote:  

You brought a cast iron pan? Holly shit.

hahaha. Yeah seems crazy I know, but I bring along a little 8" one. I love eggs, seafood, veggies, and steak all cooked in cast iron. I use it 2-3 times a day.

But I basically fly in, go to my apt, and it never moves again. Well worth the 2 lbs for me.

I don't travel around the country with it. I'm not that particular, lol.

Lube is really cheap in Thailand. I found a tooth-paste sized container at 7-11 of KY Jelly in Thailand. Fantastic!

-Bring condoms
- Bring Apple Cider Vinegar/supplements/pepto bismol/ antibiotics
- Bring high-end alcohol from duty-free
- Bring electronics
- Bring shoes (except slippers)

WIA- For most of men, our time being masters of our own fate, kings in our own castles is short. Even those of us in the game will eventually succumb to ease of servitude rather than deal with the malaise of solitude

Quote: (01-03-2014 01:49 AM)DVY Wrote:  

- Bring Apple Cider Vinegar/supplements/pepto bismol/ antibiotics

Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar (with mother) is available in the super market at SM Aura in Fort Bonifacio. Just in case anyone was looking.

Generic antibiotics are widely available and much cheaper at pharmacies in in most SEA countries.