rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Combatant Gentleman: a great new source for low-cost suits?

Has anyone tried ordering from Combatant Gentleman? https://www.combatgent.com

I'm on the tall side (6'2"), average to slim build, with sorta long arms. Most department store, off-the-rack suits fit great around the shoulders and chest but are a little too short in the arms, even in long sizes.

I don't have a huge budget, so custom or high end brands aren't currently an option.

I'm thinking of giving this company a try but was wondering of anyone else has ordered from them and what they think of the sizing.

Interesting...thanks for sharing.

Made a call

1) Company is out of Irvine, CA
2) Suits are half canvassed (seriously? wow)
3) They pay for shipping and return shipping (so no risk to you)
4) Super 140s - so it should feel nice
5) Made in China but the fabric comes from Italy

But the colors are the basics (black, navy blue, grey), nothing spectacular. But all pretty essential colors for a decent wardrobe for work and play.

Quote:Quote:

Combat Gent gives men no excuse not to have a well-made suit.

The online men’s store has raised $1.84 million in funding from well-known fashion investors and is the first company selected for the new Fashion Tech accelerator program.

The company is a direct-to-consumer brand that sells hand-tailored shirts, suits, ties, and denim. Cutting out the retailer middlemen allows Combat Gent to charge only $160 for suits that still look classy. The suit is a staple of the male wardrobe that has remained largely unchanged for 150 years. Even entrepreneurs who favor hoodies and jeans need a suit every now and then. However, well-made suits are traditionally expensive, and cheap suits look, well, cheap.

Founders Vishaal and Mo Melwani are cousins whose family ran Versace boutiques. They grew up learning about the fashion-garment industry and valuing designer clothing. After college, they saw many of their friends struggling to afford a decent work wardrobe, and they decided to apply their experience to building a company that helped guys feel like “complete bad-asses without breaking the bank.”

Combat Gent was founded in May 2012. It now has 72,000 active users and has done $100,000 in sales. It is part of a recent trend of male-focused e-commerce companies that simplify the process of shopping for men. Bonobos and Indochino are two well-known startups in this space. They provide online, curated selections of staple clothing items with a focus on fit. Men who don’t have much time, energy, budget, or style-savvy can use these sites to develop a complete wardrobe with minimal effort. Investors seem to like this space as well. Bonobos has raised over $70 million, and Indochino closed a $13 million round earlier this year.

Companies like these are impacting more than e-commerce — they are also part of the larger “Made in America” movement. The harmful consequences of “fast-fashion” made headlines in April after a large, multistory garment factory collapsed in Bangladesh, killing more than 650 people. Bangladesh is the center of the worldwide garment industry. Large brands like H&M, Nike, and Gap outsource to Bangladesh, where production is faster and cheaper. These lower costs come with unsafe, exploitative working conditions, however, and the April disaster brought the situation to the attention of American consumers. People want to patronize companies where they trust the sourcing and receive personal attention. Most of Combat Gent’s production happens in Los Angeles, and the company puts a strong emphasis on details.

Zappos chief executive officer Tony Hsieh’s VegasTechFund invested in this round along with MHS Capital*, Naxuri Capital, Greycroft Partners, Blazer Ventures, Jake Bornstein of Flint and Tinder, and Berlin-based Point Nine Capital, which marks the Combat Gent’s first step toward expanding into Europe. This financing will fuel brand development.

Combat Gents also unveiled a new product offering of Italian shifts. The company partnered with Italian fabric-maker Andreazza & Castelli and will offer Italian Super 120′s cotton shirts for $40.

The company has offices in Los Angeles and Las Vegas and has around 10 employees.

Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm." And the warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."

Women and children can be careless, but not men - Don Corleone

Great RVF Comments | Where Evil Resides | How to upload, etc. | New Members Read This 1 | New Members Read This 2

Looks great, but the only sizes left are for fat people or small people.

Quote: (11-07-2013 06:13 PM)CaP7 Wrote:  

Looks great, but the only sizes left are for fat people or small people.

great new brand, this is a good sign, they have sold out of their stock. as long as they can keep up with production, these guys will be big. they are all over social, definitely savvy marketers with a good product. love to see new brands like this pop up.

how much are you guys normally shelling out for suits?

I mean, none of my suits were more than 200€ and they are very well made. And even though they are not custom made, after I bought them they were tailored to fit (some free of charge) almost perfectly.

u can get suits for around that price but I have a feeling the quality is unmatched.

"All My Bitches love me....I love all my bitches,
but its like soon as I cum... I come to my senses."

Who actually owns a suit from them.

A couple friends of mine have talked about them.. But I havent got around to touching them.

For this price.
What is the different in quality between these suits and say... jos a bank/mens warehouse?

I am the cock carousel

Another option is Frank & Oak. Well made and reasonably priced menswear.

https://www.frankandoak.com

I have the silver suit, regular size not slim. I have 24" thighs the pants are pretty tight and barely make it for me, I always wear my jacket to cover my ass, honestly think it hugs my ass too tight because of how slim they are. The jacket needed some minor tailoring, but otherwise is great for a long armed guy like me (I think I'm 43" chest, 37" sleeve length..).

Overall looks great, fabric feels really good. Like I said my only gripe is the pants are too tight even at normal size for a guy with big legs. When I shopped at Zara once after recommendations on here I could not fit into any of their pants, they all looked like leotards.

I don't know brands but after shopping at Nordstrom's I'd say the quality and fabric is on par with $500-600 suits so the discount is great if the suit fits you well. The fabric is much better than the $300 Men's Wearhouse suit I bought for my first interviews after college, and the suit I bought at CombantantG was $160.

If you have slimmer legs go for it.

Edit: I see they've added tons of new colors to the Slim size but just a couple more boring ones to the Modern fit side (one I bought a year ago).

SENS Foundation - help stop age-related diseases

Quote: (05-19-2016 12:01 PM)Giovonny Wrote:  
If I talk to 100 19 year old girls, at least one of them is getting fucked!
Quote:WestIndianArchie Wrote:
Am I reacting to her? No pussy, all problems
Or
Is she reacting to me? All pussy, no problems

My experience when I tried last year was meh - I bought around the holidays last year when there was a promotion. The colors are not that exciting, I got a black one and navy blue. Customer service is great and maybe the suits were better. But it didn't measure in quality to the other ones I have. Not trying to be a dick or anything. I have not checked lately, and maybe the selection and build is better.

Edit: Much better selection than last year. Just took a peek. And they are having a promotion just for today 50 off 250 and other discounts for more spent.

They had a great return policy so no harm in checking them out. They even paid for return shipping.

Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm." And the warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."

Great RVF Comments | Where Evil Resides | How to upload, etc. | New Members Read This 1 | New Members Read This 2

I found out about this company by a Facebook friend posting an article about them. I was just going to buy a dress shirt from them to start off then buy a suit assuming I liked the company. They were out of my size in every shirt I wanted to buy, so I'm in limbo now until they get my size in. But I plan on buying the grey nailhead slim fit suit for 200 bucks in the very near future.

Edit: I checked back on the site and they have all their inventory back in. I ordered a dress shirt for 35 bucks and will post an update in this thread when I receive it.

Quote: (01-01-2015 05:43 PM)wi30 Wrote:  

I found out about this company by a Facebook friend posting an article about them. I was just going to buy a dress shirt from them to start off then buy a suit assuming I liked the company. They were out of my size in every shirt I wanted to buy, so I'm in limbo now until they get my size in. But I plan on buying the grey nailhead slim fit suit for 200 bucks in the very near future.

If you are going to buy it maybe find a different size and spend an extra 50 bucks on some other items so you can get the 50 buck discount today. Then exchange the suit later because it did't fit for the size you want.

Quote: (01-01-2015 05:56 PM)samsamsam Wrote:  

Quote: (01-01-2015 05:43 PM)wi30 Wrote:  

If you are going to buy it maybe find a different size and spend an extra 50 bucks on some other items so you can get the 50 buck discount today. Then exchange the suit later because it did't fit for the size you want.

I would, but I just graduated college this semester and start my job on Monday. I don't have the cash to buy the suit right now and am planning on buying it once I start getting paid. A suit isn't required, but it will be good for meeting with clients.

Also, I want to see how the dress shirt I just bought from them fits because I have a somewhat stocky frame. Normal shirts don't fit me well and I've had luck with the slim fit from other brands. I ordered one of the slim fit dress shirts off of their site.

Nowadays, slim fit basically means not obese. It's ironic because I'm considered muscular with a wide frame (Swiss build if you will) but standard shirts puff out around the waist and the arms are way too baggy. But if combatant gent's slim fit works for me, I will order the suit in their slim fit. If it's hipster skinny I'll return the shirt and get it in their standard. Either way, I would rather figure out their sizing investing in only a dress shirt instead of a two hundred dollar suit.

Can anyone compare this to Indochino?

I noticed they had the deal to get 50 an 125 dollars.
Do I decide to take them up on the deal.
I bought a couple things from them.
Im on the east cost so.. itll take a couple days before I get everything.
Ill update soon

I am the cock carousel

I go back and forth on spending $600-1000 on a suit or just getting one from Zara. Sometimes I just don't think it matters, especially at night. No one cares at work (unless you're on Wall St). Girls don't know shit basically.

If you guys are in the U.S., try Suitsupply. Usually walked out of there spending $600 for a suit that holds up well for everyday use. Only downside is that you have to go in store to get a great fit but online shopping could be an additional option.

Are the suits 100% Worsted Wool or Blends?

The point of modern propaganda isn't only to misinform or push an agenda. It is to exhaust your critical thinking, to annihilate truth.
- Garry Kasparov | ‏@Kasparov63

I figured $160 is cheap as shit and ordered one this morning. Will report back.

I also plan on buying a Suit Supply suit next time I'm in LA. By the way, Suit Supply is a Dutch company with more European stores than US ones.

I just got part of my order.
They emailed and called me to tell me they were sorry for now shipping out faster.
That new nears sale they had brought in so many orders that they couldnt handle it all.
One suit I ordered was the grey three piece. ( I wanted the vest also)
https://www.combatgent.com/suits/grey-pl...piece-suit

The quality on this is awesome..
I've went to a couple other suit stores and checked out their low in price suits... mens warehouse,jos a bank ect ect.
The quality of this suit is awesome. The detail in the fabric is great, its light way.
At one of those other stores.. you would easily pay 500+ for this suit.

I also Ordered 2 Oxford shirts.
The shirt.. Same thing.. Extremely great quality. They don't feel thin or low quality at all.. Extremely sturdy material.
The only problem I have is that they are italian slim fit.
I got a size that I thought would fit. It fits my neck perfectly. But I've gained some extra muscle and its tighter around my arms and chest that I would like.
I am gonna exchange one of them for the next size up and see if its a sizing thing, or if my arms and chest are just too big compared to my skinny neck.

I went with these these 2 ties.
Lady killers and Always be Closing ( Perfect tie names for a player)
https://www.combatgent.com/ties/the-ladykiller-tie
https://www.combatgent.com/ties/always-be-closing-tie
Again.. no qualms on quality. They aren't the best ties I've ever had my hands on, but the quality is worth more than 16 dollars.
I don't see these ties wearing out or breaking down any time soon.

Now for the problems I had.

I actually ordered two suits
My second suit was
The Charcoal herringbone
https://www.combatgent.com/suits/the-cha...gbone-suit

The suit didn't come in the box.. instead, for some odd reason an extra pair of size to big pants, for the grey suit came.
At first, I thought, maybe its two packages...but No, I only got one tracking number.

I called them..And went straight to a live person within a 20 seconds.
No bullshit where you have to press a number an go through a prompt. You here their initial message and then you get put straight through to a live person.

I explained the problem.
And we found out, with all the sales, the sizes I wanted were on back order.
Instead the operator credited me the different and said they will send the regular charcoal fit tomorrow ( I called after shipping time)
https://www.combatgent.com/suits/the-grey-slim-fit-suit

This morning I woke up with the new tracking number in my email.
Considering they are on California time.
The shipping label was generated before 7am.

* It almost sounds like a scam.. that a person would claim they are missing an entire suit.
But the phone operator was extremely understanding..didn't cause any questions.
He was extremely thorough in making sure everything was correct.
I was on an off the phone within ten minute for this problem
I can't even knock them down because of the great customer service I received.

Long story shirt...The quality of the suits are easily 3 times the price that they sell for. Stores like mens warehouse and jos a bank. ect.
Have nothing on Combatant Gent.
The Customer Service from these guys is awesome.
And their catalog has much more to choose from than it did, last year

**I will try to post pictures later
You can't really take pictures off their website, and I'm not at home right now

I am the cock carousel

Quote: (11-09-2013 01:57 PM)Wreckingball Wrote:  

how much are you guys normally shelling out for suits?

I mean, none of my suits were more than 200€ and they are very well made. And even though they are not custom made, after I bought them they were tailored to fit (some free of charge) almost perfectly.

On average, 400 Euro per suit...

Eat. Sleep. Approach. Repeat.

I was happy to find this thread and I'm bummed they don't have the herringbone suit in regular fit. I will never fit in a slim fit in a million years. I am on the waiting list for my size in pants in the charcoal modern fit suit.

that you should order one size larger than what you actually their website says with a slim fit suit that you should order one size larger than what you actually are. For the suit that I received one size larger and if its near perfectly. I may just be being picky because I've tried on a lot of success in the past... but I ordered the second soon and besides that's true to my actual size, when size is a littleI can compare the size is a little better.

the company has great customer service and they take returns from free and exchanges within 30 days so it doesn't hurt to order more than one thing at once and return it if it doesn't fit you perfectly.

the company is clearly getting a lot of business because the most popular sizes sell out pretty quickly ever have any sort of discount or deal. I can assume, the more they grow, the better they will be at keepng up with the demand

I am the cock carousel

How is this better than Zara or Frank & Oak in terms of fit/materials? I can tell by looking at the models that the slim fit is not as good as Bonobos, for example (which is 3x more although you can always get a 30% discount at least on any suit there). Waist is too loose (fixable), but the armholes seem large. I guess it's worth a try, but their pant sizes only go in even numbers, which is annoying.

Anyone have experience with their outwear? I'm eyeing a long coat on there because I've already assembled my own suit but have no good night coats--it's cold in Colorado.

Jesus, these guys are selling like gangbusters.