rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Dragon Inside Custom Suits

Just came across this company:

http://www.dragoninside.com/product/the-...7AodBxUADw

The sell custom suits that can be ordered to your specs, including:

3 choices of lapels
3 styles of jacket vents
4 button configurations
Choice of jacket linings
4 vest types
Extra pant for $99 dollars

All this for around $500, with shirts averaging $100.

Here is blogger who reviewed the company and recommended over Indochino:

http://www.thefineyounggentleman.com/sea...it-review/

He has detailed pics and the craftsmanship looks good. They offer to ship the wool samples free, and sign up for the newsletter for a free tie. Was wondering if anyone here has ordered from them? I wanted to get a consensus here before deciding to order one later this year. Thoughts?

Considering getting a custom suit. Obviously top of the line is something from a place like Anderson & Sheppard in Saville Row.

I'm considering: Zegna (off the rack + tailoring, $2K) vs. Michael Andrews Bespoke (~$1500) vs. Suit Supply ($700 made to measure), or possibly this thing Ali posted.

I had a look at the suit that guy ordered, and I am really not a big fan of the fit. It does not look custom/fitted.

I remember reading a review of them a while back that put them ahead of Indochino in their respective categories. I think it was business suits.

The only drawback to Dragons suits is that they are too business for my tastes. I own a couple grey business type suits but I dont wear them often.

I too, would love some feedback from guys with experience using online tailors.

Nordstrom has a made-to-measure hickey freeman suits w/decent wool (low supers) at around 700 dollars or sports coat for about 500. Id rather go this route, because you actually have the tailor measure you, and when the delivery comes you can inspect the final result and the tailor will alter minor imperfections.

Obviously still not custom, but front-end and back-end support is crucial prior to purchase. Another factor is that you can reject delivery if its not to your likings....

Some "fashion districts" esp in big cities have suit stores w/tailors on-site. Basically choose an OTR suit that fits your frame and theyll alter it (usually waist supression, sleeves, minor sleeve tapering). This is also pretty good because you aren't buying a "cat in the bag". This usually runs 400 dollars all-inclusive.

WIA- For most of men, our time being masters of our own fate, kings in our own castles is short. Even those of us in the game will eventually succumb to ease of servitude rather than deal with the malaise of solitude

indochino.com does the same. At first they were dodgy but my understanding is their workmanship went way up after the first settling in period.

they have a few less biz looking suits as well.

Quote: (09-08-2013 07:34 PM)DVY Wrote:  

Nordstrom has a made-to-measure hickey freeman suits w/decent wool (low supers) at around 700 dollars or sports coat for about 500. Id rather go this route, because you actually have the tailor measure you, and when the delivery comes you can inspect the final result and the tailor will alter minor imperfections.

Obviously still not custom, but front-end and back-end support is crucial prior to purchase. Another factor is that you can reject delivery if its not to your likings....

Do these sites have a return policy if your not satisfied with the results? And you can have a tailor do all your measurements for you and then you just put them into the website.

Either way these aren't true custom, theyre made to measure advertising themselves as custom. Chances are you will still have to do some minor alterations when you get the suit in hand, but its a good start at a competitive price.

God'll prolly have me on some real strict shit
No sleeping all day, no getting my dick licked

The Original Emotional Alpha

I have no idea, but whichever way you go, be sure to get high armholes.

http://masculine-style.com/jacket-armholes/

[Image: G_MEN-10-e1360161569146.jpg]

This is a timely thread. I tried to perform a search several days ago looking for a thread with referrals to custom tailors in SEA. Does anyone have a few links to such threads?

I actually like the better model Hickey Freeman suits for business purposes, but I want to find something more flashy for nightlife or day game -- perhaps with some sheen.

BTW: What happened to the ability to search thread titles instead of just posts? When I first signed up for this forum there was a really nice advanced search feature. Now I cannot seem to locate it -- just that simple search feature on the bottom right of the web page.

Quote: (09-08-2013 10:41 PM)Tail Gunner Wrote:  

This is a timely thread. I tried to perform a search several days ago looking for a thread with referrals to custom tailors in SEA. Does anyone have a few links to such threads?

I actually like the better model Hickey Freeman suits for business purposes, but I want to find something more flashy for nightlife or day game -- perhaps with some sheen.

BTW: What happened to the ability to search thread titles instead of just posts? When I first signed up for this forum there was a really nice advanced search feature. Now I cannot seem to locate it -- just that simple search feature on the bottom right of the web page.

There's a really good tailor in Bangkok who does a lot of work for the Bush family, secret service, and American politicians, and his prices weren't inflated by his status, last time I checked. I posted a link on here to him before. A few articles lurking out there in mainstream media.

Was thinking about checking him out on my next run through.

Beyond All Seas

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.
To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes
frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Kipling

^
Quote: (09-09-2013 08:45 AM)Beyond Borders Wrote:  

I posted a link on here to him before.

Ah, here he is: http://www.dress-for-success.com/

And an article from back in '04: http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/worl...ilor_x.htm

Beyond All Seas

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.
To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes
frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Kipling

That tailor is not good, they are just popular because the US Embassy employs like 600 people here and they endorse them. Also, I highly doubt they actually do the tailoring for the Bush family as they claim. They are multi millionaires, why would they get suits made from a budget tailor in BKK aimed at tourists and foreigners?

I actually got a shirt made and was not impressed at all.

I'd avoid damn near all tailors in BKK unless you live here and don't have other options.

Remember, it is Burmese immigrants making these suits in many cases, or some Thai guy who doesn't known shit about style. They are not real tailors. They just take measurements and make your shit from a pattern.

Narin Couture is a legitimate tailor, and many people from styleforum endorse him, but many also say he is no good.

BKK isn't a great place to get suits made at all.

Quote: (09-09-2013 08:49 AM)Beyond Borders Wrote:  

^
Quote: (09-09-2013 08:45 AM)Beyond Borders Wrote:  

I posted a link on here to him before.

Ah, here he is: http://www.dress-for-success.com/

And an article from back in '04: http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/worl...ilor_x.htm

Thank you for the links. I found a TripAdvisor travel review on that firm.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserRevie...ngkok.html

According to a review, they are still not quite what I want, however:

Quote:Quote:

- Fashion. These guys specialize in the more conservative styles. If you're OK with that, no problem. But if you want suits with a bit more "edge," you might have trouble getting them to go along. Their labels are ridiculously old-fashioned.

When I move offshore, I want to switch out my British/American style suits for something with more flair -- both in materials and style.

This is great! From one of the few negative reviews:

Secondly, on inquiring as to whether Jesse and Victor make women's suits for corporate ladies such as myself, I was told that women are too difficult to deal with, can't make up their minds and have to make decisions in groups and bring their friends along and thus Jesse and Victor won't deal with women as it's better a lady tailor deal with women. As a woman who knows exactly what she wants, including from a suit, I find these attitudes and stereotypes extraordinary in 2012.

Quote: (09-09-2013 11:06 AM)RioNomad Wrote:  

I'd avoid damn near all tailors in BKK unless you live here and don't have other options.

Remember, it is Burmese immigrants making these suits in many cases, or some Thai guy who doesn't known shit about style. They are not real tailors. They just take measurements and make your shit from a pattern.

I always read the negative reviews first on TripAdvisor. Yes, most of the complaints involve the shirts and the boxy style of the suits. That is why I am trying to go more Euro-style with the suits. I have an athletic build, so I can certainly benefit from it.

styleforum

+10000000

I have mentioned it in other threads but if you want to learn about men's clothing this would be the place to go and read/research. Also, it has a pretty active buying and selling forum so you can pick up quality for good prices. I dropped by Macy's other day to buy some household stuff and swung by the men's department. Yes some suits were less than 200 bucks etc. but when you felt the fabric it just wasn't soft. Better to spend 200 on a quality used suit. Just dry clean it. Or save for something better. I have a 20 year old HF that still fits and it is still so soft. Buy quality if you can.

I agree with RioNomad that Thailand might not be the best place to buy a custom suit. Bounce to HK for a few days.

Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm." And the warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."

Women and children can be careless, but not men - Don Corleone

Great RVF Comments | Where Evil Resides | How to upload, etc. | New Members Read This 1 | New Members Read This 2

It appears that much more research is warranted. I especially pay attention to reviews from gentlemen who wear suits all the time. Here is a review for Empire Tailors in BKK. Even with 273 of 278 reviews rated "excellent" this review still gives me pause:

I have always steered clear of Bangkok tailors because I know quality suits and the suits I've seen from Bangkok could not be considered quality by any stretch of the imagination. To give you an idea of my background I wear suits five days a week and pay $500 to $1500 (generally on sale) in Australia for a suit.

I cannot fault the service, Sunny is very professional and a pleasure to deal with. I cannot fault the material, excellent quality 140s wool cloth was what I chose. The shop is great and very relaxed. I also bought a italian cotton shirt which I still feel is the best shirt I have.

I purposely wore the suit three days a week every week to see how it would wear. The fit was excellent. however after three months, the jacket started to de-laminate at the front. They fused the stiffener instead of having it floating I think. Anyway, that is a $900 suit (two trousers and waistcoat) down the toilet. Contrast that to a Z Zegna suit I bought for the same amount (admittedly one trouser and no waistcoat) on sale. Still going strong two years later.

Quote: (09-09-2013 01:08 PM)Tail Gunner Wrote:  

I always read the negative reviews first on TripAdvisor. Yes, most of the complaints involve the shirts and the boxy style of the suits. That is why I am trying to go more Euro-style with the suits. I have an athletic build, so I can certainly benefit from it.

This was exactly the problem with my shirt. I told them I wanted slim fit and to keep it short because I generally wear it untucked. It was boxy and long, just like a regular shirt. Just slightly more slim.

I walked away from a 15k baht deposit at Moon River, which had a good review on styleforum. Place is shit, so don't go there. I specifically told them high arm holes at least half a dozen times, but it seems the lady didn't actually know what that was. Problem is once you cut the suit, you can't raise the arm holes, so I walked out on it. The shirt she made me was also shit.

Currently I am using Pinkys tailor for shirts, and they are ok, but you have to correct every little thing to get it right.

Master tailors don't make the shirts or suits at 99% of the places in BKK. They are made by Burmese immigrnats who cut from a pattern, and adjust for your measurements.

A few Thai tailors (Judys and Art I believe they are called) are supposed to be the best, and they have mostly high end Thai clients. However, I hear their price is similar to HK, and they are not as good as HK tailors. I read that, so not sure if it is true, but I am very wary of BKK tailors in general after my three experiences.

Most people who say so and so tailor is good is someone who has no clue about style or fit.

So what they charging these days for custom shirts? When I was there, I did go to the place where Bush has his stuff made. The shirts were acceptable for what I paid. I think I paid $25, a shirt? Been several years, sounds roughly right.

Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm." And the warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."

Women and children can be careless, but not men - Don Corleone

Great RVF Comments | Where Evil Resides | How to upload, etc. | New Members Read This 1 | New Members Read This 2

That tailor is not good, they are just popular because the US Embassy employs like 600 people here and they endorse them. Also, I highly doubt they actually do the tailoring for the Bush family as they claim. They are multi millionaires, why would they get suits made from a budget tailor in BKK aimed at tourists and foreigners?

Narin Couture is a legitimate tailor, and many people from styleforum endorse him, but many also say he is no good.

Fair enough if you tried them out, Rio, as I certainly never did, and I wouldn't know enough to spot shabby work anyways (have never even been to a tailor lol). I just read a few articles about them in the media.

I do find it a bit hard to believe that there are no worthy tailors in BKK though - a lot of the moneyed Thais are pretty stylish. I always assumed I'd just ask a middle or upper-class Thai where to go, as I'm sure they stick with the same ones for decades. Have you ever thought about giving that a try?

EDIT: Okay, just saw your other post about HK prices.

Beyond All Seas

Here is an example of what I would like to find. A navy blue sharkskin suit that has plenty style and an athletic fit -- with a fabric that has a nice lustrous sheen.

Yet it is traditional enough not to go out of style next year. Hell, you could sit on a packet of mustard and ruin the trousers and still wear the jacket with other pants. After all, living on the road demands the ability to mix and match.

I would even be willing to go with even more flash (less traditional color) as a lizard lure.

This particular suit is made in Australia, so maybe they use real sharkskin. lol. I had a fantasy of purchasing three such flash suits in Thailand for the price of one in the U.S., but that does not seem realistic based on what I have read so far.

BTW: I am thinking EE mini-oligarch game here. [Image: smile.gif]

9. M.J. Bale Colmar Sharkskin Denim Suit

Don't be fooled – there is no actual denim involved in the 100% Superfine Australian Merino Wool Colmar Sharkskin Denim Suit. The name is merely a nod to its groovy shade of blue that's guaranteed to catch eyes, turn heads, and set a few hearts a-flutter.

Price: $1245

Here is an example of what I would like to find. A navy blue sharkskin suit that has plenty style and an athletic fit -- with a fabric that has a nice lustrous sheen.

You could try a cotton as well. Though the price for that suit is pretty good!

I have a Zegna mohair/wool blend that has some sheen, but my cotton blazer has more.

[Image: 104963912464526800.jpg]

I cant see the name of the Italian mill that did the cotton for that jacket. I love the fabric and would not mind another one.

One thing though. All my jackets are cut high in the armholes and the cotton picks up more odor than the wool. Be prepared to spend more time dealing with cleaners because of this. So another warning, if you have the cash make sure the jacket is not fused. The dry cleaning will de-lam the fusing over time.

Quote: (09-10-2013 05:23 PM)Laner Wrote:  

One thing though. All my jackets are cut high in the armholes and the cotton picks up more odor than the wool. Be prepared to spend more time dealing with cleaners because of this. So another warning, if you have the cash make sure the jacket is not fused. The dry cleaning will de-lam the fusing over time.

Do they make inserts to prevent this sort of thing? Like something with activated carbon in it? If not, it's not a bad product idea.

Quote: (09-10-2013 11:58 AM)Beyond Borders Wrote:  

Fair enough if you tried them out, Rio, as I certainly never did, and I wouldn't know enough to spot shabby work anyways (have never even been to a tailor lol). I just read a few articles about them in the media.

I do find it a bit hard to believe that there are no worthy tailors in BKK though - a lot of the moneyed Thais are pretty stylish. I always assumed I'd just ask a middle or upper-class Thai where to go, as I'm sure they stick with the same ones for decades. Have you ever thought about giving that a try?

EDIT: Okay, just saw your other post about HK prices.

Rich Thais buy off the rack Zenga and shit like that. Thai people are extremely concerned with image, as you know. A Zenga suit adds to their image much more than some tailored suit does. Paragon is filled with high end brands that rich Thai people eat up on daddy's credit card.

There's a little shop I have already written a few times about them in here in BKK. At first, I was also very wary of indian tailors in BKK, but my French buddy assured me that these guys are different and reliable. So gave them a try, had a couple of cotton shirt made for 500B or 15$ each. Got them the very next day and in great quality. Long story short, I've had them made quite a few shirts there and also a suit, that I'm still wearing 2 years later. Very unassuming shop at first, but once inside, you know what they are high quality. It's run by an indian family who has been in LOS for a long time and they speak fluent Thai and English, plus are cool guys, at the end, became friends with one of the owners and partied with him once. It's on The name of the place is Prince Tailors and are on Soi 3 Sukhumvit. Their site: princetailors.com

Quote: (09-11-2013 01:11 AM)Vacancier Permanent Wrote:  

There's a little shop I have already written a few times about them in here in BKK. At first, I was also very wary of indian tailors in BKK, but my French buddy assured me that these guys are different and reliable.

Thanks, VP. Do you have a lot of experience with good tailors?

Beyond All Seas

BB,
Prince Tailors can match any HKG tailors in my opinion but at 1/3 of the price.