rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Vienna Datasheet

Vienna Datasheet

Hey everyone, I've been thoroughly enjoying this forum for a couple months so I though it was time to give back. Just for the record, I am 24 years old, British-born, American raised and I have been living in Vienna for 3 months or so.

The City: Vienna is pretty, no doubt about it. Beautiful Architecture. Marvelous public transportation. Nice Parks. Clean. I do to have to admit that Vienna seems too perfect at times. Some people have used the phrase, 'open air museum' and they have a point.

Location: Vienna is probably the most strategically located city in all of Europe. Its essentially a prosperous German speaking island on the periphery of Eastern Europe. If your interested in a base to where you can head east, Vienna is your city.

Financial stuff: From an American/W. Euro perspective, Vienna is affordable. Most things are pretty cheap here. I am renting a decent room for 265 Euros a month. Groceries are cheaper than U.S with the exception of meat which is absurd. Furthermore, it easy to find a job here. Knowing german helps but is definitely not required. Beware though, if you are a high earner, the taxes here will make you cry.

Nightlife: This is Vienna's biggest negative imo. For a relatively large city, the night life is lame. Monday-Thursday don't both going out. Even weekends are hit or miss. As a rule, I never pay for clubs so maybe that's been my problem. There are a few good freebies on Lerchenfelder Gürtel(B72, Chelsea). I have heard rumors of crazy flat parties but I have yet to experience one..

Girls: I would describe the local girls here as cute, not a lot of stunners. They could easily pass for American just slimmer. They are shy but easy to pick up because Austrian dudes never approach. If your American/British, its like shooting fish in a parallel. Don't bother opening them in German.

Summary: All in all, Vienna is a nice but sometimes boring place to live. Austrian people and the Viennese especially are not particularly friendly. The girls are a slight notch above Americans/Brits. Imo, Vienna's biggest plus is its a location. Get a job here, and in your free time explore Eastern Euope. Bratislava, Prague, Budapest,etc... are all a cheap train ride away.

Vienna Datasheet

I was in Vienna for only 3 nights, so I can't really comment on the long term items you posted about. However I do have to disagree about one of your comments...

I think the weeknights are good. I went out Monday and was able to pull, and Tuesday was at a packed club with a high level of talent. Mentioned it here.

I liked the city a lot to be honest.

Vienna Datasheet

Like shooting fish in a parallel

[Image: dancingman.gif][Image: dancingman.gif]

The only time success comes before work is in the dictionary.
DATASHEETS: Singapore (2014) | Vietnam (2015) | Cebu (2015) | Honolulu (2016) | Couchsurfing (2016) | KS, Taiwan (2018)
BTC: 1MoAetVtsmM48mkRx66Z9gYkBZGzqepGb5

Vienna Datasheet

Slubu, you got lucky. Some of the clubs have college nights during the week and it can be good. "I liked the city a lot to be honest." Like I said, Vienna is post-card perfect. The reality of living here is another story.

Vienna Datasheet

thanks for your datasheet. a couple of questions:

1. so you got a job there without needing to speak german? can you tell us in what field?
2. you were born in the UK so you have an EU passport?
3. how many girls are from other countries? you make it sound like most girls in vienna are austrian.

thanks man.

Vienna Datasheet

Quote: (07-07-2013 07:47 AM)rivelino Wrote:  

thanks for your datasheet. a couple of questions:

1. so you got a job there without needing to speak german? can you tell us in what field?
2. you were born in the UK so you have an EU passport?
3. how many girls are from other countries? you make it sound like most girls in vienna are austrian.

thanks man.

1.) I am just working in a restaurant right now. Most restaurants in the city center will hire servers without German. If you are looking for white-collar work, the corporate language is usually English in any field. Whats more, there are multitude of international organizations here.

2.) Affirmative, being EU obviously makes things a lot easier. That said, there are plenty of non-EU nationals working here.

3.) Yea, most people in Vienna are Austrian.[Image: idea.gif] The student population is pretty international though and this time of year tourists are everywhere. But in most clubs that's Ive been to its at least 90% Austrians. Went out last night with a Romanian buddy and we were speaking loudly in the street. Two Austrian girls that we walked past turned around, smiled and said "Oh, they are speaking English!". Cracked me up...

Vienna Datasheet

I stayed with at a friend's house near Neubaugasse last summer. He took to me to a few pubs and lounges, but I found the best place to game was Museumsquartier.

The place has a good setup that allows for easy and chilled approaching. Good spot to visit either during the day or during the night, but for me the best was late afternoon, when I could pregame there and meet people to go out with later.

Vienna Datasheet

Vienna Datasheet

Dr. Benway: Yea, I think higher education is pretty much useless, but I think I might take a couple classes in the fall just for the networking.

Vienna Datasheet

Quote: (07-07-2013 07:47 AM)rivelino Wrote:  

The population of Vienna is about 1.760.000 people.
Out of those, 524.419 were not born in Austria. The most important countries of birth, starting from the top:
  1. Serbia 80.122
  2. Turkey 66.343
  3. Germany 41.822
  4. Bosnia 41.284
  5. Poland 38.974
  6. Romania 21.305
  7. Czech Rep. 16.733
  8. Hungary 14.916
  9. Russia 12.729
  10. Croatia 12.603
  11. Slovakia 11.757
  12. Macedonia 10.385
  13. Bulgaria 9.669
  14. Iran 9.029
  15. Philippines 8.517
  16. China 8.334
  17. Aegypt 8.304
  18. India 8.052
For each of those countries as well as the total foreign population,
approximately
11% are women aged 15-29,
21% are women aged 15-40.

Also consider that the "real" numbers are higher, as those who were born here and acquired the Austrian citizenship are not listed. Estimated number of second and third generation immigrants from
former Yugoslavia 100.000
Turkey 100.000

(Data from 2011)
Source: Statistik Austria

Vienna is definitely a city for day game. Approaching girls on the streets, or just during everyday life is something completely alien to our culture. Most girls never had that experience before. As a result they are often excited/curious/impressed and willing to talk to you. On the other hand, some tend to be scared/confused and have no idea what´s going on.
Sounds familiar, but I think the effect is even stronger here in Austria. Day game gives you a headstart, because you are "not like the others" and it gets their romantic fantasies going. Women love that.

Unfortunately, Vienna gets pretty empty during the summer months. Most students are from other parts of Austria or EE and leave the city, either to go on vacation with/visit their friends or family or to work in their home countries/provinces. I for example have never spent the summer in Vienna since I moved here for university three years ago. Same for most of my friends. Even the native Viennese leave, only the tourists remain.
I´ll leave this week for Poland, cities there are also empty now, but I´m not really travelling there for the girls. The journey is its own reward.

Vienna Datasheet

I experienced Vienna twice being Autumn 2009 and June 2012.

Autumn 2009 - I spent a day with a family of close friends back at home in Texas as they showed me around. Took me to primarily the expensive pricey places, but I noticed the women were very well dressed for colder weather while smiling at me a lot. Was only one day, but I wanted to come back seeing how the vibes of young ppl (esp chicks) were much friendlier than the impressions I got from Budapest where I stayed for 5 days before stopping in Austria.

June 2012 - I had a couple of flags after 2 weeks in Poland, and just picked Vienna by default to see those aforementioned friends for three days while getting to experience more of the nightlife. I'd say the nightlife is built around 3 neighborhoods and as of now with a metro that runs all night Friday and Saturday nights. Pretty good stuff with nice people, but I didn't get the stares or friendly smiles I received back in October 2009.

I'd say the city can be expensive, but there are a lot of reasonable and cheap eats that could be had here with the late night Chinese food stands and options at say the outdoor Naschmarkt.

There was one Friday night where I went out with a very helpful Asian guy staying in my hostel room as we made one approach that lasted 20 odd minutes. He was doing well with the hottest chick in the group while I worked her two other friends in relationships unfortunately to the max until they had to leave. After convos ended, my friend had his jacket stolen because he carelessly had it sitting at a table unmonitored.

I don't know what it was, but I felt more potential in Vienna when the weather was a bit colder whereas June wasn't as good. Perhaps it was the issue of relativity as Vienna was the breath of fresh air I needed after struggling badly in Budapest 09 whereas it came off as stiffer after a couple of good weeks in Poland 12.

Whatever the case, I have more international leads altogether as of that 2nd trip in Vienna so don't regret it one bit.

Vienna Datasheet

Quote: (07-08-2013 07:29 AM)Belgrano Wrote:  

[quote='rivelino' pid='485261' dateline='1373201230']
Unfortunately, Vienna gets pretty empty during the summer months. Most students are from other parts of Austria or EE and leave the city, either to go on vacation with/visit their friends or family or to work in their home countries/provinces. I for example have never spent the summer in Vienna since I moved here for university three years ago. Same for most of my friends. Even the native Viennese leave, only the tourists remain.
Don't expect a response since this is an old post, but for those knowledgeable with Vienna, would you say going there early June is too late then? I planned on being there for 2 weeks or so starting June 1st...

Vienna Datasheet

Before mid June is fine. End is starting to push it