rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

how do you use a US cell phone abroad

How do I use my smartphone (AT&T) abroad?

Can I purchase a pay as you go simcard for a week or so? I just need to check my emails and perhaps make a few phone calls.

You need to get it unlocked first, your carrier can usually do it. You should also google this kinda stuff before making a thread as there's plenty of info on this.

Quote: (04-06-2013 07:13 PM)guerrilla Wrote:  

How do I use my smartphone (AT&T) abroad?

Can I purchase a pay as you go simcard for a week or so? I just need to check my emails and perhaps make a few phone calls.

You can also phone up ATT and ask as to what international socs they have for the particular country you are travelling to.

OUR NEW BLOG!

http://repstylez.com

My NEW TRAVEL E-BOOK - DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - A RED CARPET AFFAIR

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K53LVR8

Love 'em or leave 'em but we can't live without lizardsssss..

An Ode To Lizards

If you don't need service all the time, you can disable the voice and just use wi-fi to check email, make calls with skype, etc.

If you need/want service when you're out and about, then as Kdog said, you have to make sure your phone is unlocked and compatible with the cellular band (google GSM and CDMA, although I believe your phone should be GSM with AT&T).

I have a verizon iphone 5 which is dual-band and unlock for international use so I was able to pop in a local sim card in Europe and use it with no problem.

If you cant get it unlocked, get a cheap 10 dollar GSM phone and use it for calls. They sell cheap phones in indian/pakistani electronics stores in ethnic neighborhoods

My mother was able to use her AT&T cell while in Europe. I got hit with international roaming surcharge for the calls. Beware.

Like the others said. Unlock it and get a local sim from a phone shop.

Team Nachos

You'll want to use local unpaid SIMs, they will almost always no matter where you are be cheaper than their American equivalents. American consumers are keeping their rates high by buying into shitty subscription plans only to get the latest phone.

How do local sims work? Are they on a monthly basis? Is it the same idea as the pay-as-you-go phones in the US?

Quote: (04-07-2013 01:22 PM)guerrilla Wrote:  

How do local sims work? Are they on a monthly basis? Is it the same idea as the pay-as-you-go phones in the US?

Pay as you go. Buy the sim for a few bucks, add some time on it, pop it in and use it.
In most European cities there are stores and kiosks everywhere so you can easily buy minutes/data.

1) buy this http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/Sam...oduct.html

2) plug in local SIM when you get there

3) cheap, pay-as-you-go win

Personally I bought my "international phone" for $15 new in Vietnam

The only time success comes before work is in the dictionary.
DATASHEETS: Singapore (2014) | Vietnam (2015) | Cebu (2015) | Honolulu (2016) | Couchsurfing (2016) | KS, Taiwan (2018)
BTC: 1MoAetVtsmM48mkRx66Z9gYkBZGzqepGb5