rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

The Life Hacks Thread

The Life Hacks Thread

Since the majority of us are diving deep into self development, let's share some ideas on what you have personally found successful and work for you in your life.

These Life Hacks can be anything you've found to be successful for you. Whether it be in workouts, diets, audio courses, lifestyle enhancements, anything...

Also, specifically what ROUTINES do you do daily that you would recommend?

I'll start...

Currently I am on the SLOW CARB DIET again.
- It's from Tim Ferriss (4 Hour body)
- After following it for several months last year, I lost all belly fat (probably a few pounds), and when followed correctly, you can notice results in just a couple weeks.

I also started P90X
- This is a home workout program, as many of you have discussed
- I am 4 days into this program and the before and after pictures from people who have completed it are what's motivating me.

I am drinking Tony Robbin's INNER BALANCE DRINK
- This is a powder that includes dehydrated brocolli, wheat grass, barley grass, alfalfa, and spinach.
- It actually tastes pretty good, mix with water, and after drinking this 2x per day for the last 2 weeks, I am experiencing higher energy levels and less desire to eat unhealthy.

MEDITATION
- Whenever I get into my head, I like to meditate...
- The below clip is easy to use and gets the job done.

Who's next...

The Life Hacks Thread

I just bought a wristwatch that has a stopwatch on it. I plan on putting it on the second I get out of bed. I will use it frequently during my daily tasks so I can be aware of how much time I'm spending on what.

One of my main goals this year is becoming very efficient in my time usage. Keeping track of how much time you spend on each task is very important in being accountable to yourself.

The Life Hacks Thread

Audible + working out.

Two birds, one stone.

The Life Hacks Thread

I do exercises in my cubicle. I have a light kettlebell for curls and windmills, and I do pushups. It's just to stay loose and limber for workouts after the day is done.

I am seeking employment in Oslo, Norway. Any assistance is appreciated.

The Life Hacks Thread

Will be updating this thread with more life hacks but the best one off the top of my head is: the pomadairo technique

http://www.pomodorotechnique.com/get-started/

The Life Hacks Thread

In order to sleep better, install "Flux" on your laptop:
http://stereopsis.com/flux/

On that note, flash a Philips goLITE every morning to wake yourself up.
Also inspired from Tim Ferris' book (gold for people living in Seattle/Portland, or Sweden):
http://www.amazon.com/Philips-goLITE-BLU...ips+golite

It's all about energy balance.

The only time success comes before work is in the dictionary.
DATASHEETS: Singapore (2014) | Vietnam (2015) | Cebu (2015) | Honolulu (2016) | Couchsurfing (2016) | KS, Taiwan (2018)
BTC: 1MoAetVtsmM48mkRx66Z9gYkBZGzqepGb5

The Life Hacks Thread

Also, for those of you who have started the Slow-Carb diet, is it true that we must drop our total daily intake to 20g in order for the fat-releasing process to initiate? I would have trouble even dragging it down to 100g.. and wondering if it works gradually as well.

Another lifehack - supplements (possibly many people have seen this by now):
[Image: snake_oil.png]

DATASHEETS: Singapore (2014) | Vietnam (2015) | Cebu (2015) | Honolulu (2016) | Couchsurfing (2016) | KS, Taiwan (2018)

The Life Hacks Thread

Full size of Cyclone's image, which also has further details if you click on the bubble.

http://www.informationisbeautiful.net/pl...pplements/

The Life Hacks Thread

Quote: (03-03-2013 10:25 PM)Cyclone Wrote:  

In order to sleep better, install "Flux" on your laptop:
http://stereopsis.com/flux/

best app for your computer (unless you do heavy visual work) just got the jailbreak required iPhone app and it's pretty badass.

The Life Hacks Thread

Ive been using the same Mach 3 razor for 2+ years now. Run it along your belt to sharpen it.

The Life Hacks Thread

Quote: (03-04-2013 12:50 AM)Jaylow Wrote:  

Ive been using the same Mach 3 razor for 2+ years now. Run it along your belt to sharpen it.

I use disposable 3 blade razors. I rinse them after every use, shake them dry, and then apply a drop of oil to the blades to push out moisture. I run through a $4 4-pack of them once a year.

If I try your method and it works, I might not need to buy razors never again in my life.

The Life Hacks Thread

I fast once a week for 24 straight hours. It's cheaper than free and it's supposed to burn fat and clean out your body's intestines somewhat.

The book Eat Stop Eat by Mark Pilon is a good primer for fasting.

“I have a very simple rule when it comes to management: hire the best people from your competitors, pay them more than they were earning, and give them bonuses and incentives based on their performance. That’s how you build a first-class operation.”
― Donald J. Trump

If you want some PDF's on bodyweight exercise with little to no equipment, send me a PM and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

The Life Hacks Thread

Have you ever thought of a safety razor?

Cheap.
Manly.
Classic.

Mannbibel - Meistgelesener Artikel: Dominiere deine Freundin im Bett
Die Rückkehr der Männlichkeit - a german blog written by Ray

The Life Hacks Thread

I just bought another 4 pack - cost me £6.90. I hate that they're so expensive - they must make a fortune in mark-up! But they do give a damn smooth shave and cut through 4 days' worth of bristle very well.

So, you run them along the leather as if your were shaving your belt? Or in the opposite direction? How often?

The Life Hacks Thread

Along your belt, or your belt buckle, or ... ?

The Life Hacks Thread

Funny responses. You dont shave your belt you run it the opposite way. You run it evenly across the leather part where there are no holes before anyone asks and you probably won't sharpen it evenly if you have a thin belt. You can also run it across your own skin on a spot that has no hair but you wont sharpen it evenly.

I put one end of my belt under my foot and the other part in my left hand. Use pressure, 20 strokes should do it but it depends on the pressure, it is possible to super sharpen it so be careful.

The Life Hacks Thread

Quote: (03-04-2013 12:02 PM)Jaylow Wrote:  

Funny responses. You dont shave your belt you run it the opposite way. You run it evenly across the leather part where there are no holes before anyone asks and you probably won't sharpen it evenly if you have a thin belt. You can also run it across your own skin on a spot that has no hair but you wont sharpen it evenly.

I put one end of my belt under my foot and the other part in my left hand. Use pressure, 20 strokes should do it but it depends on the pressure, it is possible to super sharpen it so be careful.

Huh. I can't imagine how a belt could effectively sharpen a razor, but I am down with it. Thanks!

The Life Hacks Thread

You never heard of leather sharpening metal before? If your belt is cloth and woven its not gonna work lol...

The Life Hacks Thread

Quote: (03-04-2013 12:11 PM)Mr.Barbarian Wrote:  

Huh. I can't imagine how a belt could effectively sharpen a razor, but I am down with it. Thanks!

It doesnt. Barbers use this thing called a strop which is basically a leather belt.

Sharpening the metal creates burrs, and using the blade creates microscopic dents. The strop smooths these dents and burrs so you get a straighter edge.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Razor_strop

The Life Hacks Thread

Quote: (03-03-2013 11:59 PM)dasher Wrote:  

Full size of Cyclone's image, which also has further details if you click on the bubble.

http://www.informationisbeautiful.net/pl...pplements/

^ Not to mention, the one I posted is slightly outdated. The above link is more accurate

The Life Hacks Thread

Hire an assistant.

The Life Hacks Thread

Quote: (03-03-2013 10:29 PM)Cyclone Wrote:  

Also, for those of you who have started the Slow-Carb diet, is it true that we must drop our total daily intake to 20g in order for the fat-releasing process to initiate? I would have trouble even dragging it down to 100g.. and wondering if it works gradually as well.

The ketogenic diet is when you drop your carbs as low as you can or to about the 30-50 range. Your body then produces ketones and is supposed to burn more fat as the primary fuel source. The problem with the eating such low amounts of carbs is your brain needs carbs to function and after awhile without enough carbs you feel weaker and your thinking is more cloudy.

Not to say that you cant burn fat on the ketogenic diet which you can but I would advise it more for someone trying to compete in a contest who needs to drop weight quickly for a certain date and maybe there are behind as far as losing fat.

I think this is why tim ferris probably used the slow carb diet instead of no carb. I actually have the 4hour body and that was the first diet and workout plan I tried when I started and in my opinion there is far better things you can do and achieve better results. Tim is great at making "life hacks" but his advice is normally too generalized or doesnt cover important points which is fine for an average overweight guy but not someone seriously looking to get lean

I think eating low amounts of carbs tho is the best way to lose body fat but you should also be tracking your macronutrients (protien, carbs, fats) and calories to make things accurate. I would shoot for under 150g of carbs and try eating them mostly during breakfast and post workout because thats when your body needs them the most.

Not to say that Tims advice is all bad but I do think he greatly exaggerates things to sell more books. He mentions that gained 34lbs of muscle in 1 month which yea he probably gained some muscle but the pictures are slightly misleading also. he got a tan shaved his body hair and pulls his shorts up to show his legs better and in the before pictures he also isnt really flexing. not to mention all the other tricks people do for before and after photos.

If this was true Im sure every bodybuilder would be doing this and be adding tons of muscle every month but in reality that just doesnt happen like he says

The Life Hacks Thread

Quote: (03-03-2013 04:03 PM)G Trooper Wrote:  

I also started P90X
- This is a home workout program, as many of you have discussed
- I am 4 days into this program and the before and after pictures from people who have completed it are what's motivating me.

A friend of mine started doing the P90X thing and I didn't believe some "as seen on tv" product would work. Even tough she was already skinny, after two weeks she looked even better.

I think on TV it is like $200+ and on Amazon it is $139 which is huge ass market up on DVDs that only cost 25 cents to make. I might download the torrent of it soon and check it out.

The Life Hacks Thread

Deadlifting and eating less is 10x more productive then p90x.

The Life Hacks Thread

Two questions -
Is the 4 hour body worth getting? (my guess is no or maybe)
What's the difference between slow carb and paleo? Nothing at all?

Also for anybody getting p90x it's easy and very available to torrent. My biggest complaint is not that it might not work (it probably does OK, it's hard to screw up a calisthenics workout and you're going to show results if you're otherwise untrained) but that you're going to keep hearing the same crap jokes over and over.