rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

How do Latin Americans feel about the Indigenous people?

I was reading the expat chronicles forum, and dude's Peruvian wife hates Colombians cause there are a lot of Indians. (aka Incas and other indigenious peoples)

True? False? Somewhere in the middle?

WIA

Depends on the culture. Some South American countries have declared certain indigenous languages to be among their official languages, not because of their utility but because of their cultural significance as a form of history and a source of pride.

I don't understand why a Peruvian would hate Incas from Colombia, since Peru was the center of the Incan civilization. Not to mention that only the very southwestern part of Colombia was part of the Incan empire.

However, indigenous people generally tend to be poorer and less assimilated into the mainstream economies and urban culture of Latin American countries. Poverty and cultural separation are two reasons that people will dislike any culture, indigenous or not.

Quote: (02-16-2013 12:06 AM)polymath Wrote:  

I don't understand why a Peruvian would hate Incas from Colombia, since Peru was the center of the Incan civilization. Not to mention that only the very southwestern part of Colombia was part of the Incan empire.

I was thinking the same thing, this doesn't even make sense. But for the most part, it seems the darker your skin in Latin America the worse off you are. Not to mention the white people usually think the indigenous are ugly.

That woman is a complete buffoon. Peru is only second to Bolivia in the percentage of indigenous denizens. I guess she should hate her own country. Bet she's married to a white guy, huh?

Quote: (02-16-2013 03:26 AM)speakeasy Wrote:  

That woman is a complete buffoon. Peru is only second to Bolivia in the percentage of indigenous denizens. I guess she should hate her own country. Bet she's married to a white guy, huh?

You know it!

WIA

Quote: (02-16-2013 04:13 AM)WestIndianArchie Wrote:  

Quote: (02-16-2013 03:26 AM)speakeasy Wrote:  

You know it!

WIA

Yeah, I have this female friend who knew a Peruvian woman who married this white guy and moved up here to the states. My friend told me she was convinced she wanted to marry a white guy because "she wanted a baby with blue eyes". Many Peruvian women are like this I hear. I actually met the guy she married. The white guy was one of those dudes that a normal white woman wouldn't even glance at, completely geeky looking and acted like he had aspergers. But to her, he was hot shit.

As much as I like some aspects of Latin America, the worship of anything white can make them intolerable.

From my experiences in South America, I would say a lot of the time, the native people get looked upon and treated as second class citizens unfortunately.

Whilst this shouldn't be a 'White/Black guys kill it in...' thread, if you're white in South America with some game I think you can go far. Having said that, I think black guys who are from the US can do very well.

As Roosh once noted, your status does seem to be dictated by your skin colour a lot of the time there.

I've never been to south america but by talking to some people, I can tell they look down on darker people.
I remember this mexican woman was emphasizing how her dad looks like white person and she is closer to european.

Haven't you heard some of those latin people calling themselves 'spanish'?? LOL

-What's your background?
I am spanish
-oh you are from spain...
no I am from mexico

In Mexico, indio, aborigen, etc. are used as insults. Go figure

Quote: (02-16-2013 05:07 AM)dk902 Wrote:  

From my experiences in South America, I would say a lot of the time, the native people get looked upon and treated as second class citizens unfortunately.

Whilst this shouldn't be a 'White/Black guys kill it in...' thread, if you're white in South America with some game I think you can go far. Having said that, I think black guys who are from the US can do very well.

As Roosh once noted, your status does seem to be dictated by your skin colour a lot of the time there.

It shouldn't be. And I didn't ask that question.

WIA

Quote: (02-15-2013 11:52 PM)WestIndianArchie Wrote:  

I was reading the expat chronicles forum, and dude's Peruvian wife hates Colombians cause there are a lot of Indians. (aka Incas and other indigenious peoples)

As an anecdote, one of my law school classmates had it out with her Host Family while she was taking Spanish, because she said something about Indians followed with a little rain dance... lol.

WIA

I think South Americans view indigenous peoples in much the same way we view indians that live on reservations here in the U.S. and lead a traditional non progressive life style.... especially if they practice non-christian beliefs.

Colombia make up:

49% of the population is mestizo, or of mixed European and the earliest settlers' ancestry, while 37% are white of full European ancestry. Another 14% is mulatto, or of mixed black African and European ancestry, while 4% is of black African ancestry and 3% are zambos, of mixed black African and Amerindian ancestry. Pure indigenous Amerindians comprise 1 percent of the population.

Ethnic structure of Peru

The Peruvian census does not contain information about ethnicity so only rough estimates are available. According to the National Continuous Survey (Instituto Nacional de Estadística e Informática or INEI 2006) 59,5% self-identified as Mestizos, 22.7% as Quechuas, 2.7% as Aymaras, 1.8% as Amazonians (Yanesha people), 1.6% as Black/Mulatto, 4.9% as White and 6.7% as Others (Chinese, Japanese, others). Another reference estimates it to be composed of Mestizos: 47%,Amerindians: 30%, European: 18%, Asians: 4%, Afro-Peruvians: 1%.

Quote: (02-16-2013 02:27 PM)WEDO Wrote:  

I think South Americans view indigenous peoples in much the same way we view indians that live on reservations here in the U.S. and lead a traditional non progressive life style.... especially if they practice non-christian beliefs.

Which is?

"Damn, that's fucked up, they gotta raw deal"
or
*snickers @ drunken Indian*

And lotta y'all coming at this topic with statistics and theory,

I'm asking for actual experiences, not pointless pontification.

Like if someone were to ask me about how Middle Easterners were treated in this country, I could say

- Some of my boys who are Indian magically become Mooslim Ay-Rabs when they run into sheltered middle class white folks.

- In Detroit, they take a lotta heat from black folks, cause they run the clubs, but make sure you can't holler at their women.

- Iranians got beef with Persians, cause any one calling themselves a Persian is a self hating Iranian. (akin to Thai folks calling themselves Siamese)

So on and so forth.

The reasoning for the hate will always be absurd and illogical, because all racism/bigotry is absurd and illogical. But it is what it is. It's kinda like Black Americans exporting their "one drop" mentality to places rife with colorism. (Jamaica for instance)

WIA

Quote: (02-16-2013 02:49 PM)WestIndianArchie Wrote:  

Quote: (02-16-2013 02:27 PM)WEDO Wrote:  

Which is?

"Damn, that's fucked up, they gotta raw deal"
or
*snickers @ drunken Indian*

And lotta y'all coming at this topic with statistics and theory,

I'm asking for actual experiences, not pointless pontification.

Like if someone were to ask me about how Middle Easterners were treated in this country, I could say

- Some of my boys who are Indian magically become Mooslim Ay-Rabs when they run into sheltered middle class white folks.

- In Detroit, they take a lotta heat from black folks, cause they run the clubs, but make sure you can't holler at their women.

- Iranians got beef with Persians, cause any one calling themselves a Persian is a self hating Iranian. (akin to Thai folks calling themselves Siamese)

So on and so forth.

The reasoning for the hate will always be absurd and illogical, because all racism/bigotry is absurd and illogical. But it is what it is. It's kinda like Black Americans exporting their "one drop" mentality to places rife with colorism. (Jamaica for instance)

WIA

Which is.... they are uneducated backward mofokers that believe in the rain god. Not many people worried about if they got a raw deal....just like in the states.

Calling someone indio is synonymous with calling them stupid....and colombians will some times call each other Chibchambianos as an insult because the predominant indian tribe is Chibchan.

Some people have an appreciation for them....they sell tours in a few places in Colombia so you can go out and meet them and see how they live.

I have no experience in Latin America, but what I do know is that Spaniards don't like being associated with Mestizos. At least, the Spanish people I met at university anyway. There's no white guilt in Spain it seems.

A notable example is Oscar De La Hoya, he drops all his Mexican pride stuff when he goes to watch Real Madrid, and instead prefers to be seen strictly as an American, flag and all.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. - H L Mencken

Quote: (02-16-2013 04:46 PM)Teedub Wrote:  

I have no experience in Latin America, but what I do know is that Spaniards don't like being associated with Mestizos. At least, the Spanish people I met at university anyway. There's no white guilt in Spain it seems.

A notable example is Oscar De La Hoya, he drops all his Mexican pride stuff when he goes to watch Real Madrid, and instead prefers to be seen strictly as an American, flag and all.

[Image: Oscar-De-La-Hoya-9542428-1-402.jpg]

The funny thing about that is that he's one of the Mexicans that could legitimately consider himself Spanish. He doesn't look like he has any significant indigenous blood to me. If I didn't know who he was and saw him walking around Madrid he'd blend in completely with the local population.

The word "Mexican" means "mixed". Almost all Mexicans are Indians mixed with Spanish blood. Some, more so then others. We also have alot of French blood in Mexico.

Nearly all Latinos/Hispanics/Central Americans/South Americans are a mixture of Native blood, European blood and/or African blood. Same with most Brazilians.

Everything south of San Diego could be considered Spanish. The language and religion are straight from Spain.

Everyone is racist because everyone wants to associate themselves with those in power. Lighter skinned Mexicans want to feel superior to darker skin Mexicans. Its all the same imperial, indoctrination, ingrained ways of thinking that have been around forever.

We are still cavemen in alot of ways.

Quote: (02-16-2013 05:09 PM)speakeasy Wrote:  

The funny thing about that is that he's one of the Mexicans that could legitimately consider himself Spanish. He doesn't look like he has any significant indigenous blood to me. If I didn't know who he was and saw him walking around Madrid he'd blend in completely with the local population.

That picture is actually really interesting, as it basically says you're right. He looks like a white guy to me in that pic. That said, he wouldn't consider himself to be white though... Lots of ignorance regarding race among Latinos it seems. I'm not sure whether it's ignorance or just an echoing of said ignorance from what is said by white WASP politicians?

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. - H L Mencken

Quote: (02-16-2013 05:21 PM)Giovonny Wrote:  

The word "Mexican" means "mixed".

Sorry to be pedantic, but according to wikipedia you are wrong: "Mēxihco was the Nahuatl term for the heartland of the Aztec Empire, namely, the Valley of Mexico, and its people, the Mexica ...".

I was just making sure you guys were awake out there

[Image: monkey.gif][Image: tinfoilhat.gif][Image: monkey.gif]

"Pedantic"?

It is actually kinda a big deal here in Argentina. You have some people even killing indigenous people uo north for their lands (the soy ptoduction frontiers expand more each day), and yes, beign darker in skin with amerindian features is a social burden for you. It is a little worse here in Argentina, were we like to fancy us as purely descendant from euopean stock, while ignoring that the spaniards that came here originally fucked with the indigenous women like rabbits.

"What is important is to try to develop insights and wisdom rather than mere knowledge, respect someone's character rather than his learning, and nurture men of character rather than mere talents." - Inazo Nitobe

When i´m feeling blue, when i just need something to shock me up, i look at this thread and everything get better!

Letters from the battlefront: Argentina

Quote: (02-16-2013 05:55 PM)Teedub Wrote:  

Quote: (02-16-2013 05:09 PM)speakeasy Wrote:  

That picture is actually really interesting, as it basically says you're right. He looks like a white guy to me in that pic. That said, he wouldn't consider himself to be white though... Lots of ignorance regarding race among Latinos it seems. I'm not sure whether it's ignorance or just an echoing of said ignorance from what is said by white WASP politicians?
Oscar de la Hoya is from east LA and first generation American. Why the hell would he consider himself white lol? No white person in America is going to accept him as a white person and would laugh if he started saying he was.

Yes, I can tell you have no experience with Latin America or Mexicans/Chicanos in America. He's probably somewhere in the middle since he's first generation which explains all his "Mexican pride stuff" and why he waves American flags in Madrid. It's no different than some Irish American guy from Boston who's proud to be both. Lol at you thinking he looks down on Mestizos for that.

WIA the only ones I've seen who don't like darker skin are the ones that look really white (light eyes, brown hair, light skin) from Mexico who have lots of money and come here to shop. You see them around the Galleria. I'm guessing it goes back to when the Spanish came and the wealth and ignorance was just passed down from generation to generation. Of course I know you see Chicanos all over who come in all colors just like blacks. It would be retarded for them to start hating on darker ones when you have all shades in your family. You gotta really hate yourself if you're doing that shit or like what Sebastian said - The Michael Jackson Syndrome.

I think everywhere has "white is right" crap. I've had black girls tell me we would make cute kids because the baby would come out bright [Image: tard.gif] Some people are just cuckoo about skin color.

Quote: (02-17-2013 04:11 AM)houston Wrote:  

Oscar de la Hoya is from east LA and first generation American. Why the hell would he consider himself white lol? No white person in America is going to accept him as a white person and would laugh if he started saying he was.

Even though, as Speakeasy said, he IS genetically a white person of Spanish stock, or extremely close? That's just weird predjudice from 'white' Americans then.

It's becoming clear to me, after spending time on the forum with Americans that, in regards to many Latinos, 'white' is more a cultural term. In the same way as what happened to Irish and Italian people, eventually white Latins will be accepted as white I suspect.

I didn't say De La Hoya looked down on mestizos, I meant that he is aware the Spaniards do, so he doesn't want to be seen as one.

Quote: (02-17-2013 06:33 AM)Teedub Wrote:  

Quote: (02-17-2013 04:11 AM)houston Wrote:  

Even though, as Speakeasy said, he IS genetically a white person of Spanish stock, or extremely close? That's just weird predjudice from 'white' Americans then.

It's becoming clear to me, after spending time on the forum with Americans that, in regards to many Latinos, 'white' is more a cultural term. In the same way as what happened to Irish and Italian people, eventually white Latins will be accepted as white I suspect.

I didn't say De La Hoya looked down on mestizos, I meant that he is aware the Spaniards do, so he doesn't want to be seen as one.

There is a large white minority in Mexico (Spaniards and others) and mestizos with very little native blood. Americans just think of Mexicans as mestizos/Indians since the ones who come to the US are from the lowest class. Even a lot of mestizos in the US self-identify as white (that's why in the US people often refer to non-Hispanic whites).

If you check out Steve Sailer's site he talks about blue eyed Hispanic leaders who are obviously European but use the Hispanic label for purposes of identity politics and gov handouts (he calls them Conquistador-Americans).

My experience in Guatemala was that the indigenous people were down-trodden and actively oppressed. During the 36 year civil war they were routinely rounded up and massacred by the Guatemalan military. A friend of mine once spent an evening listening to his host father explicitly detail how the indigenous people were actually a different species.

While the government and tourism industry there are quick to show indigenous clothing and talk about their history and how so many different languages are spoken in the country, the reality on the ground is that they're viewed as backwards, uneducated, and unworthy of anything beyond hard labor. That's just in Guatemala though, I don't know about the rest of Latin America.

If you are going to impose your will on the world, you must have control over what you believe.

Data Sheet Minneapolis / Data Sheet St. Paul / Data Sheet Northern MN/BWCA / Data Sheet Duluth

Quote: (02-15-2013 11:52 PM)WestIndianArchie Wrote:  

As an anecdote, one of my law school classmates had it out with her Host Family while she was taking Spanish, because she said something about Indians followed with a little rain dance... lol.

WIA

Just after I read "expat" I knew the answer. These guys are usually dorks who come to Peru, "fall in love" with the culture and marry a random gringo-hunter from the slums. These girls are usually the most racist people in Peruvian society. And it's funny because they are indigenous themselves.