rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Vitamix VS Juicing

Vitamix VS Juicing

So I was just talking with my biz partner, and he is a huge advocate of Vitamix.

I am a huge advocate of Juicing.

(Side note: neither of us ever get sick.)

Have any of you done both?

Which do you like more?

Pros and cons of both?

Break it down.

Hopefully MikeCF will come out of retirement and weigh in on this one.

Vitamix VS Juicing

I own a really nice Blendtech blender and a Breville Elite juicer. There are just things you can't do with a blender. Try blending too many greens, like Kale for example (which have the most nutrition per calorie). I also don't always want all of the fiber which you eliminate with juicing. Both have their purposes, but if I could only choose one I would go with the juicer.

Vitamix VS Juicing

Juice vegetables.

Blend fruits.

Vitamix VS Juicing

Blendtec blender (Costco w/ 8 year warranty and larger Wildside jar). No juicer yet.

WIA- For most of men, our time being masters of our own fate, kings in our own castles is short. Even those of us in the game will eventually succumb to ease of servitude rather than deal with the malaise of solitude

Vitamix VS Juicing

I prefer juicing. It is a great nutritional boost that makes me feel awesome without slowing me down. I use juice as a supplement to a mostly healthy diet.

Blending / Vitamix is too heavy for me. I don't want all the fiber and bulk that comes with it, slows me down. I think Vitamix is good for a meal substitute / replacement. Seems better suited for weight loss.

Vitamix VS Juicing

Quote: (01-11-2013 01:49 PM)Rex Wrote:  

Juice vegetables.

Blend fruits.

What's the thought process behind this?

Vitamix VS Juicing

Quote: (01-11-2013 04:57 PM)thegmanifesto Wrote:  

Juice vegetables.

Blend fruits.

Unlike most vegetables, fruits are loaded with sugar.

Juice fruit and you'll get a massive insulin spike. Fine short-term, and every now and again, but you don't want regular insulin spikes long-term - that'll wreck your body.

Blending fruits retains the fibre - the sugar is processed more gradually, so avoiding insulin spikes.

Vitamix VS Juicing

Quote: (01-11-2013 06:15 PM)Rex Wrote:  

Juice fruit and you'll get a massive insulin spike. Fine short-term, and every now and again, but you don't want regular insulin spikes long-term - that'll wreck your body.

What do you mean by "wreck your body"?

Vitamix VS Juicing

Quote: (01-11-2013 06:15 PM)Rex Wrote:  

Quote: (01-11-2013 04:57 PM)thegmanifesto Wrote:  

Juice vegetables.

Blend fruits.

Blending fruits retains the fibre - the sugar is processed more gradually, so avoiding insulin spikes.

Rex - I was under the impression that "natural sugar" ie from fruits was not (as) bad for you. I read somewhere that your body handles it differently than say refined cane sugar or corn syrup? Is this wrong?

Vitamix VS Juicing

I can't find it right now, but I once read a very convincing article about an insulin spike being desirable to maximize nutrient absorption in the post workout window. In the article, the guy was taking his protein supplements in a glass of grape juice immediately after working out, as grape juice is very high on the glycemic index. So perhaps an insulin spike isn't always a bad thing.

Does anyone have any data on this?

Vitamix VS Juicing

Quote: (01-11-2013 06:35 PM)durangotang Wrote:  

I can't find it right now, but I once read a very convincing article about an insulin spike being desirable to maximize nutrient absorption in the post workout window. In the article, the guy was taking his protein supplements in a glass of grape juice immediately after working out, as grape juice is very high on the glycemic index. So perhaps an insulin spike isn't always a bad thing.

I actually own this book "The Juicing Bible":

http://www.amazon.com/Juicing-Bible-Pat-...0778801810

I got my Honduras girl on the way over but I will read through tomorrow and see what it says about sugar. I know there is a chapter for Diabetics that should provide some insight.

Vitamix VS Juicing

Quote: (01-11-2013 06:27 PM)thegmanifesto Wrote:  

What do you mean by "wreck your body"?

I've heard some bro science claiming insulin causes pre-mature ageing. Bro science is often bullshit, granted. But given that unhealthy people tend to consume high amounts of sugar, in the form of processed foods, I'm inclined to believe this particular piece of bro folklore.

More seriously, we know insulin fuels cancer cells. That's mainstream science. If true, it's obvious insulin spikes should be avoided long-term.

Vitamix VS Juicing

Quote: (01-11-2013 06:31 PM)kenny_powers Wrote:  

Rex - I was under the impression that "natural sugar" ie from fruits was not (as) bad for you. I read somewhere that your body handles it differently than say refined cane sugar or corn syrup? Is this wrong?

True, "natural sugar" from fruits isn't as bad as sugar in processed foods.

But it's still sugar, and sugar is a poison - the body needs to flush it out through insulin.

Our bodies aren't designed to be flooded with insulin spikes on a regular basis. Yeah, our ancestors eat fruits, but eating fruits is different from juicing fruits - eating fruits releases sugar slowly, juicing fruit causes insulin crashes.

Also, not only is eating fruits different from juicing fruits in terms of how the body processes the sugar, the amount of sugar to be processed is also different. When juicing, we tend to dump a lot of fruit into the juicer to get a reasonable amount of juice out - much more fruit than we'd normally eat. That's the entire point of juicing - instead of labouring all day to eat 5 a day, throw in 10 apples, or 10 oranges, or whatever, and job done. Our bodies aren't designed to process such large amounts of sugar long-term.

Vitamix VS Juicing

Quote: (01-11-2013 06:35 PM)durangotang Wrote:  

Grape juice after working out: I think Tim Ferriss recommends this, or something similar.

Juicing fruits every now and again when you're young and healthy is fine, and probably beneficial.

But I wouldn't make it a regular habit. And I wouldn't do it at all past 50 years of age.

Can't go wrong with juicing vegetables though. Let the green stuff flow!

Vitamix VS Juicing

Quote: (01-11-2013 06:52 PM)Rex Wrote:  

But it's still sugar, and sugar is a poison - the body needs to flush it out through insulin.

Our bodies aren't designed to be flooded with insulin spikes on a regular basis. Yeah, our ancestors eat fruits, but eating fruits is different from juicing fruits - eating fruits releases sugar slowly, juicing fruit causes insulin crashes.

Also, not only is eating fruits different from juicing fruits in terms of how the body processes the sugar, the amount of sugar to be processed is also different. When juicing, we tend to dump a lot of fruit into the juicer to get a reasonable amount of juice out - much more fruit than we'd normally eat. That's the entire point of juicing - instead of labouring all day to eat 5 a day, throw in 10 apples, or 10 oranges, or whatever, and job done. Our bodies aren't designed to process such large amounts of sugar long-term.

This is true, your body reacts identically to both types of sugar. Juicing a fruit is akin to "processing" it.

Vitamix VS Juicing

Quote: (01-11-2013 07:25 PM)Fisto Wrote:  

Quote: (01-11-2013 06:52 PM)Rex Wrote:  

This is true, your body reacts identically to both types of sugar. Juicing a fruit is akin to "processing" it.

Is juicing half an apple a day going to kill me along with vegetables?

(serious question).

---

Fisto, what do you recommend?

Vitamix? Juicing? Or both?

Vitamix VS Juicing

You can try mixing it up, I like doing both, juicing is great and I always drink a fruit shake everytime I wake up, but there is essential minerals that some fruits and vegetables just don't have. There is a lot of essential vitamins in fruits but there is very little minerals in fruits and vegetables that only certian vitamins have. One example is Zinc, which is essential to testosterone production and taking a Zinc supplement can do wonders for any guy.

To answer your most recent question, I didn't know if you were joking or not but juicing half an apple with vegetables will NOT kill you infact that works in syndericate to help boost both your immune system and body effeciency(you will feel more awake).

So instead of wondering weather you should be doing one or the other I suggest you do both. Of course if you are juicing a lot of fruits that have a significant amount of vitamin C, I would not recommend you take a vitamin C pill. If you are thinking of what vitamins most fruit contains take a look at multivitamin label( vitamins A, C, D etc.). So you will have to find a balance, but overall I recommend doing both.

Vitamix VS Juicing

I do both vegetable juices and blended smoothies. However in my smoothies I use very little fruit (pretty much just dried goji berries, occasionally I'll throw in some fresh blueberries) since I don't see the value in adding sugar; my current smoothie consists of:

Whey protein
Whole fat greek yogurt
two raw eggs
beta alanine
creatine
maca root powder
dried goji berries
raw cacao
instant oats
raw pistachios

I take this because I'm trying to gain weight (it's working) and it's a goddamn calorie bomb, but these aren't empty calories. This smoothie packs so much goddamn saturated fat, amino acids, complex carbs, and antioxidants that I feel like a beast afterwards, especially if I hit the gym that day. There's currently a nasty flu going around work right now, pretty sure I got it, but the extent of my symptoms are a mildly sore throat, while everyone else is calling out and acting like they're on their death bed.

I drink this daily, but I only juice when I feel like I need some more nutrition, probably a few times a week. I do lots of mixed greens (kale, spinach, parsley) with a little ginger, celery, whatever else I've got in the fridge. I'm a firm believer in the benefits of chlorophyll and its role in maintaining gastrointestinal health.

"...so I gave her an STD, and she STILL wanted to bang me."

TEAM NO APPS

TEAM PINK

Vitamix VS Juicing

Quote: (01-11-2013 08:45 PM)thedude3737 Wrote:  

The Dude's Super Smoothie

That shit is beyond amazing.

I'm also trying to gain weight but I guess I am not consistent enough with eating because I'm getting really lame results, so I will try it out to see what happens.

The good part of your smoothie is that all of those ingredients are very easy to find here and cheap too. Except for the goji berries which I'll replace with camu camu berries. [Image: banana.gif]

Vitamix VS Juicing

Quote: (01-11-2013 07:47 PM)thegmanifesto Wrote:  

Is juicing half an apple a day going to kill me along with vegetables?

(serious question).

Juicing half an apple a day shouldn't be a problem.

Vitamix VS Juicing

Quote: (01-11-2013 08:45 PM)thedude3737 Wrote:  

dried goji berries

How do you like these?

I have been taking them for a little while, but I am not sure I notice anything.

What would you say are the pro's and con's you've noticed?

Vitamix VS Juicing

Thedude3737 has my proxy.

Vitamix VS Juicing

I have a Vitamix and a juicer.

In my opinion, the Vitamix is superior because you're ingesting more fiber. Clean bowels are far more important than most people realize.

I have a juicer because some days I don't want to slug down that much fiber. I tend to enjoy juices less than I enjoy Vitamix shakes.

Both are great, but if I had to pick one, Vitamix FTW.

Vitamix VS Juicing

what's the concern with having too much fiber besides possible discomfort?

Vitamix VS Juicing

Quote: (02-18-2013 02:10 AM)Alpha Mind Wrote:  

I have a Vitamix and a juicer.

In my opinion, the Vitamix is superior because you're ingesting more fiber. Clean bowels are far more important than most people realize.

I have a juicer because some days I don't want to slug down that much fiber. I tend to enjoy juices less than I enjoy Vitamix shakes.

Both are great, but if I had to pick one, Vitamix FTW.

Do you do both each day?

Alternate days?

Or what?