rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

A man's first suit

A man's first suit

Brothers,

I'm 21 years old and am looking into buying my first set of suits. Looking to start off with buying two of them.

I will start interviewing for international accounting positions in the spring; obviously a fly suit is a necessity.

After looking around, I think that Men's Warehouse is a great place to start.

I am thinking my first one would be black pants/black vest with a deep blue shirt with a matching tie to boot.

The second one would be the same general set up except with gray as the main color and a red shirt underneath.

I was wondering, does anyone have experience going shopping for suits on black friday? Seeing it is in a month I feel I can hold off on dropping cash on my suits if I can save a decent chunk of change.

I'd appreciate the input!

-Chubby

A man's first suit

http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-7427.html
http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-16082.html
http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-15709.html

et cetera

http://www.rooshvforum.network/search.php?ac...order=desc

A man's first suit

*solid navy blue (followed by charcoal) is preferable for your first suit your idea of black on black with a dark shirt and "matching tie" is a horrible one. its good if you're hawking cell phones at the mall maybe but not for "international accounting". if you are interviewing, you just need to wear a conservative tie and a white shirt.
*don't buy from the men's warehouse
*best time to buy is after new years

A man's first suit

Everyone made fun of this kid that came in for a superday interview recently for having a dark dress shirt on with a suit. Like partonbro said don't make that mistake. Solid white or blue shirt only. I'd go with navy light pinstripe suit, white shirt, matching but conservative tie, polished dress shoes. Absolutely no cuff links.

"...it's the quiet cool...it's for someone who's been through the struggle and come out on the other side smelling like money and pussy."

"put her in the taxi, put her number in the trash can"

A man's first suit

This will be very helpful. Helps you understand the basic design and the lingo of suits. The little stars are suggested for first-time suit buyers.

Go conservative on your first one. Get yourself a dark navy blue or dark gray suit. Get it tailored (either in-store at bigger places like Jos A Bank/Mens Wearhouse or find an independent tailor).

Get a white dress shirt that's the right size for you: with your arms down, the sleeve should only come down to the gap where your thumb-bone meets the top of your wrist.

Get a conservative dark red tie.

And remember, sizing and tailoring are important! See the difference of a size too big vs. correct sizing and sharp tailoring:

[Image: evan-ng-suit.jpg]

A man's first suit

Do any of you guys have tips on getting a leisure suit? I don't want to be asked if I'm in the wedding party every (not often) I go out suited up. Granted, most people can't tell the difference between a leisure suit and a tuxedo but at the least I can get indignant about it publicly.

A man's first suit

Good advice by Drazen. My first two suits were navy blue (pinstripes) followed by charcoal. I love them both, and they're hugely versatile.

Never wear a red dress shirt underneath a suit.

A man's first suit

http://masculine-style.com/what-to-wear-...interview/

Feel free to PM me for wine advice or other stuff
ROK Article: 5 Reasons To Have Wine On A Date
RVF Wine Thread

A man's first suit

Men Warehouse/ Jos A Banks = NO!!!

These places places reek of middle age middle management schmuck.

Check out Suit Supply

A man's first suit

Go for Kenneth Cole. Super good cutting.

A man's first suit

Quote: (10-26-2012 12:28 PM)Drazen Wrote:  

*solid navy blue (followed by charcoal) is preferable for your first suit your idea of black on black with a dark shirt and "matching tie" is a horrible one. its good if you're hawking cell phones at the mall maybe but not for "international accounting". if you are interviewing, you just need to wear a conservative tie and a white shirt.
*don't buy from the men's warehouse
*best time to buy is after new years

Quote: (04-26-2014 11:05 PM)kipp16 Wrote:  

Men Warehouse/ Jos A Banks = NO!!!

These places places reek of middle age middle management schmuck.

Check out Suit Supply

What they said.

Find something that fits well on your shoulders and get it tailored.

A man's first suit

I'd recommend a J.Crew Ludlow fit suit. You can get them on sale or at the outlet stores for $400. The fit is great and the quality is pretty decent as well. Highly recommended.

A man's first suit

Where do you guys recommend getting fitted?

Most of my suits are bespoke from Thailand and Shanghai, but I don't have travel plans making my next buy will be a US off-the-rack, likely Nordstrom Rack.

A man's first suit

I've gotten a jacket and a 3-piece from Indochino and have been pretty happy.

One person's review of their experience with Indochino - http://masculine-style.com/custom-suitin...no-part-3/

Feel free to PM me for wine advice or other stuff
ROK Article: 5 Reasons To Have Wine On A Date
RVF Wine Thread

A man's first suit

For me, it's all custom, all the way. I've got a guy who I know who specializes in them, and isn't too expensive. If you're going to be an accountant you're going to need to wear suits all the goddamn time. If your body type fits something off the rack perfectly, power to you, but if you're not exactly the right fit, I find I get a better quality suit with a much better fit for $900 when I go custom than I would buying something off the rack at Nordstroms for $500 and spending $50-$100 getting it tailored. Much better quality, much better fit, and if I'm going to wear it 5 days a week 50 weeks a year it's not something I cheap out on. I know, $900 is a lot more than you would drop at Men's Warehouse but trust me, the fit is worth it, especially if your body dimensions are different from a mannequin's.

If you do go for an off the rack+tailor job, make SURE your suit fits you in the shoulders. I don't care if it's the cheapest POS in the store, if its the only one that fits you in the shoulders, you will be able to get it tailored to look better on you than a $4,000 Gucci suit that doesn't fit you right in the shoulders. Just about everything else can be changed except for the shoulders.

A man's first suit

Quote: (04-27-2014 01:09 PM)Nolecbo Wrote:  

Where do you guys recommend getting fitted?

Most of my suits are bespoke from Thailand and Shanghai, but I don't have travel plans making my next buy will be a US off-the-rack, likely Nordstrom Rack.

If you are talking about tailoring, I would try styleforum.net and see if there are some recommendations. To me that is the rvf of men's clothing.

Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm." And the warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."

Women and children can be careless, but not men - Don Corleone

Great RVF Comments | Where Evil Resides | How to upload, etc. | New Members Read This 1 | New Members Read This 2