rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

The Los Angeles thread

The Los Angeles thread

I thought it would be best if we can have one central thread for Angelinos to share the latest data points, tips, rants, raves and logistics for our region.

Non-Angelinos planning a visit are of course welcome to post here any questions that they want answered by locals or to share their experiences.

The Los Angeles thread

Let me start this thread by sharing a nice hidden gem I found last Thursday.

This has been going on for years every summer but I didn't know about it till last week. There's an expensive Japanese restaurant called Yamashiro in the Hollywood Hills directly above the Magic Castle. The restaurant is huge and surrounded by a lot of property. It has the best view over the city that I have ever seen, rivaling that of the Griffith Observatory. Every Thursday evening they have a farmers market on the restaurant grounds. I saw tons of cute chics walking around. Very diverse crowd that was classy yet still down to earth. Some hipster types too. A nice find. There was wine, lots of food to sample, live music and Yamashiro has an outdoor Pagoda bar overlooking the city. There is no cover to get in. You can park for free at the Christian Science church on La Brea and Hollywood and then get a free shuttle to take you up. Or you can find your own parking and walk up(steep hill though). Valet at Yamashiro is $15+tip otherwise.

Unfortunately next Thursday(9/27/12) will be the last one for the summer, so it should be a good crowd there if you can make it. Starts around 5pm. Grab some drinks and food, watch the sunset and see the lights come over the city. It's an awesome date spot, so if you have something lined up for this week, that'll be a good spot to be. If not, should be plenty of cuties mingling regardless.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/yamashiro-farmer...os-angeles

The view from the pagoda bar:

[Image: pagoda_001.jpg]

The Los Angeles thread

This sounds like a date place. I'll check it out tomorrow.

The Los Angeles thread

I have been meaning to to do that as I know it is a goldmine. I'm gonna try my best to make it up there tomorrow! Let me know if someone is going. Would be cool to meet up with a fellow RVer and chop it up with some cuties...

The Los Angeles thread

Haha, Los Angeles RVF 'Fiesta de Chorizo' Manana!

Nice tip. I actually went to the Magic Castle a few months ago (great tricks, sucky food), and my friend's dad took us up to Yamashiro for a second after until the security guard kicked us out, because it was closed. Awesome view.

[Image: 150313_436230583080847_345224611_n.jpg]

Bar opening at Wilshire & La Cienega - http://la.eater.com/archives/2012/09/26/...ienega.php

[Image: Picture%207-001.jpg]

Tower 42 opening in Playa Del Rey

[Image: 310464_476354339061478_657669320_n.jpg]

SHOREbar starting happy hour - http://losangeles.grubstreet.com/2012/09...onica.html

Abbot Kinney Fest and Film Fest in Venice in October.

The Los Angeles thread

So, ended up going to Bungalow in santa monica last night. Read a bunch of yelp reviews that said weeknight crowds are better cause it attracts more locals and less of the 'hollywood' type crowd (whatever that means). I took the bait and showd up around 7ish (no lineup thank god as i really hate waiting in any lineups regardless of what the place is). Even though I liked the setup, i didnt fancy the ratios. Most women were older and the majority of the clientelle was male. If it wasnt for me forgetting my phone in the car, i would have taken a photo of the bar side, filled with so many men, a similar scene has only been witnessed in a run-bull campaign in spain! Moreover, the only attractive girls i found where the waitresses which i kinda thought were flirting with me but then realized that they do tend to work on tips. I'll give this place another shot on the weekend since legend goes it attracts a different type of crowd, but thursday night is a no-no for bungalow.

The Los Angeles thread

Quote: (09-23-2012 07:28 PM)speakeasy Wrote:  

This has been going on for years every summer but I didn't know about it till last week. There's an expensive Japanese restaurant called Yamashiro in the Hollywood Hills directly above the Magic Castle. The restaurant is huge and surrounded by a lot of property. It has the best view over the city that I have ever seen, rivaling that of the Griffith Observatory. ....

Thank you Amigo. took my girl there yesterday. was mightly good times. Alll ye playas. go there next april. fiiiiiine ass walking around.

The Los Angeles thread

Quote: (09-23-2012 07:28 PM)speakeasy Wrote:  

This has been going on for years every summer but I didn't know about it till last week. There's an expensive Japanese restaurant called Yamashiro in the Hollywood Hills directly above the Magic Castle. The restaurant is huge and surrounded by a lot of property. It has the best view over the city that I have ever seen, rivaling that of the Griffith Observatory. Every Thursday evening they have a farmers market on the restaurant grounds. I saw tons of cute chics walking around. Very diverse crowd that was classy yet still down to earth. Some hipster types too. A nice find. There was wine, lots of food to sample, live music and Yamashiro has an outdoor Pagoda bar overlooking the city. There is no cover to get in. You can park for free at the Christian Science church on La Brea and Hollywood and then get a free shuttle to take you up. Or you can find your own parking and walk up(steep hill though). Valet at Yamashiro is $15+tip otherwise.

Unfortunately next Thursday(9/27/12) will be the last one for the summer, so it should be a good crowd there if you can make it. Starts around 5pm. Grab some drinks and food, watch the sunset and see the lights come over the city. It's an awesome date spot, so if you have something lined up for this week, that'll be a good spot to be. If not, should be plenty of cuties mingling regardless.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/yamashiro-farmer...os-angeles

I used to live in this area. I would go some Thursdays for the farmer's market and enjoy the view, but I would say that the market's nothing compared to the big one on Sundays at Hollywood and Ivar.

That said, the Yamashiro farmer's market is more of a date place than for pick up as people come there in groups. "Beautiful people," posh crowd.

Come early (like 5-6 pm):
-you need to park on a church along La Brea to be shuttled up the hill
-lines are long for food and seats near the view are gonna get taken quick.

For the Yamashiro restaurant/bar itself...never been, I'll have to check it out again. I'm too poor for restaurants at the moment.

The Los Angeles thread

I've been meaning to check out the Hollywood farmers market for awhile. I bet there are tons of hotties there. Is there any live music and wine bars like at yamashiro?

There are a few markets downtown too. Thursday has one on the city hall grounds. Went once because I was serving jury down there. Lots of awesome food, but didn't remember there being lots of cute chics.

Went to one in Santa Monica a few years ago. I think there's supposed to be a lot of them scattered about.

The Los Angeles thread

Quote: (09-28-2012 05:58 PM)speakeasy Wrote:  

I've been meaning to check out the Hollywood farmers market for awhile. I bet there are tons of hotties there. Is there any live music and wine bars like at yamashiro?

There are a few markets downtown too. Thursday has one on the city hall grounds. Went once because I was serving jury down there. Lots of awesome food, but didn't remember there being lots of cute chics.

Went to one in Santa Monica a few years ago. I think there's supposed to be a lot of them scattered about.

This website will show you farmer's markets in SoCal.

Farmer's Markets on the West Side of town will generally attract cute/hot chicks.

Hollywood Farmer's Market definitely has live music, hot chicks, and your LA eccentrics. Shorter lines for food too. Wine bars...I don't know the names but there are establishments near/inside the Farmer's market that serve wine. I heard it's the biggest one in LA. Imagine covering 4 cross shaped blocks of street instead of a big parking lot.

Quick story: Last year, near closing time I was walking around the food section of the market and the owner of a Persian food stand asked me if I would like to try their food. Maybe I looked hungry. I said I would but I'm short (costs $7/plate at least). He asked how much money do I have. 4 bucks. Ok, 4 bucks no problem, next time come here he says.
Takes my money, orders one of his lady workers (wife?) to give me a plate of kabob, gyro, rice, and flat bread. Now that's good business! Definitely want to come back and pay $7.

The Los Angeles thread

That place opening on La Cienega is The Phoenix. Down to check it out soon.

I've noticed even with casual bars, a great time to go is during the first 2-3 months. After that, every bar and club turns into a sausage fest. It's like girls can smell novelty.

"...so I gave her an STD, and she STILL wanted to bang me."

TEAM NO APPS

TEAM PINK

The Los Angeles thread

Also, I wouldn't say there's tons of hotties at the hollywood market, I used to go on a weekly basis. I've noticed more attractive women at the SM market. I've run approaches but no success. It does seem that the chicks in SM are more approachable, I think the logistics are more conducive to spitting game. The Hwood market can get really densely packed and people get impatient and pushy.

TEAM NO APPS

TEAM PINK

The Los Angeles thread

Far Bar in DTLA has a really cool east coast vibe in the middle of little Tokyo. Last five times I've been there, the talent level has been surprisingly good. Have to deal with hipster douches, but then again, you have to do that Anytime you're east of La Brea.

Have another dope spot in little Tokyo where I always find good looking Asian girls but a lot of the LA people on the forum are not into Asian chicks.

The Los Angeles thread

I don't believe this place has been mentioned previously on this forum but there is a Jersey Shore/South Jersey/Philadelphia bar and restaurant in Santa Monica called The Shack. Every Sunday, tons of people who are originally from my region go there to watch the Eagles games. Because it is something of a sports bar and it is in the Los Angeles Area, the ratio is generally bad, but I have generally been able to find slutty girls who go there by themselves. Competition is often minimal. I was kind of in my element in that place, so some local guys may have a different experience. I am in no way raving about this place, but I do recommend stopping in, if nothing else to get a cheesesteak. It is the only decent cheesesteak in California. It blows Philly West in Westwood out of the water.

The Los Angeles thread

LA Weekly's list of 10 bars with the hottest women. I'm sure you guys will beg to differ, but these top 10 lists are always interesting nonetheless, even if just for the laugh:

http://blogs.laweekly.com/arts/2012/04/h..._clubs.php

The Beauty Bar? Really?? Maybe 10 years ago.

The Los Angeles thread

Nice link speakeasy. Can't comment on most of the list, but Harvard is definitely a contender for *pulling.* La Descarga, on the other hand, is not - the reservations requirements yields big mixed groups. But, that's only on the weekends, it might be good during the week.

The Los Angeles thread

Quote: (10-10-2012 04:30 AM)speakeasy Wrote:  

LA Weekly's list of 10 bars with the hottest women. I'm sure you guys will beg to differ, but these top 10 lists are always interesting nonetheless, even if just for the laugh:

That is a good link Speakeasy. Even if the list isn't the best, it gives you ideas when sometimes you are stuck on stupid as to where to go.

A little westside update from last Friday night:

6:30PM-Bungalow: Pretty good amount of hot girls, mostly sitting at tables and a little tough to approach but by 7:30-8 the place got more packed and had some real nice talent in there. The chicks were pretty loose and having a good time which made talking to them that much easier. Definitely girls that go out a lot and know the program a bit, not many rookies on the field here. Leaving there the place already had a pretty massive line! Before you know we will have to arrive at lunch to beat the lines!

8:30-Shorebar: They have happy hour till 10 ($3 beers and $7 dark and stormies), and while Bungalow was good, opted for a little venue change just to check the scene. Good ratio in there with cute girls and the girls were getting pretty loose drinking these massive bowls of some punch shit that had a lot of booze. I'm definitely gonna go back as its a pretty easy place to pull cuz its small, a lot of people standing and a lot of cute girls.

11-1: Had to stop by Viceroy for a birthday party and the scene was pretty wack form what I have seen there in the past. Not super crowded and a pretty gay looking crowd. I didn't roam around the bar that much and was mostly outside, but didn't see a lot of work there.

I should be out and about this weekend so feel free to hit me up if you want to roll and barring me getting drunk to the point of having dark spots in the evening I'll report back!

The Los Angeles thread

Quote: (10-10-2012 04:30 AM)speakeasy Wrote:  

Yeah that list is a load of shit. If you're into hipster bitches or that type of hollywood chick, you know the ones who actively try to look like shit, strung out, bad hair, super skinny, then those bars are where to find them.

TEAM NO APPS

TEAM PINK

The Los Angeles thread

Quote: (09-29-2012 01:42 AM)thedude3737 Wrote:  

Also, I wouldn't say there's tons of hotties at the hollywood market, I used to go on a weekly basis. I've noticed more attractive women at the SM market. I've run approaches but no success. It does seem that the chicks in SM are more approachable, I think the logistics are more conducive to spitting game. The Hwood market can get really densely packed and people get impatient and pushy.

the best farmers market for women is the Sunday farmers market in SM on Main Street. its more food stalls though, live music, some wine at the Victorian room, etc. its been a while as I've not had time on sundays to go there though.

The Los Angeles thread

Quote: (10-01-2012 02:03 AM)Merenguero Wrote:  

I don't believe this place has been mentioned previously on this forum but there is a Jersey Shore/South Jersey/Philadelphia bar and restaurant in Santa Monica called The Shack. Every Sunday, tons of people who are originally from my region go there to watch the Eagles games. Because it is something of a sports bar and it is in the Los Angeles Area, the ratio is generally bad, but I have generally been able to find slutty girls who go there by themselves. Competition is often minimal. I was kind of in my element in that place, so some local guys may have a different experience. I am in no way raving about this place, but I do recommend stopping in, if nothing else to get a cheesesteak. It is the only decent cheesesteak in California. It blows Philly West in Westwood out of the water.

There are a few boston bars/pubs within walking distance of the Shack. I've been in the past and there are better ratios/talent, but I've heard Sonny McCleans went downhill in the last year or so. I really miss the Parlor in SM, that place was awesome.

The Los Angeles thread

Anyone going out for Haloween (Saturday before) on the westside?

might go do this barcrawl. I went 4th of July and it wasn't bad.
http://www.pubcrawls.com/halloween-pub-c...monica.php

Also might hit up this at the Custom Hotel because I can basically walk to it.
http://www.meetup.com/santamonicaTOholly.../82893272/

There's a party at the Viceroy that night as well I might check out. In the past, the Hermosa Pier was a good time with a lot of people out in costumes (lines at several of the bars)...not sure nowadays.

The Los Angeles thread

Quote: (10-17-2012 02:22 PM)PartyonBro Wrote:  

Anyone going out for Haloween (Saturday before) on the westside?

might go do this barcrawl. I went 4th of July and it wasn't bad.
http://www.pubcrawls.com/halloween-pub-c...monica.php

Also might hit up this at the Custom Hotel because I can basically walk to it.
http://www.meetup.com/santamonicaTOholly.../82893272/

There's a party at the Viceroy that night as well I might check out. In the past, the Hermosa Pier was a good time with a lot of people out in costumes (lines at several of the bars)...not sure nowadays.

I'm thinking about just hitting up Main street at night...went a few years ago and it was very fun.

The Los Angeles thread

Went to Hudson Hotel last night for happy hour. Didn't get going until after 6, lots of people. But ugly ugly people. There were maybe 1 or 2 girls worth even approaching, and at that point their egos must be severely inflated.

The Los Angeles thread

Has anybody hit that place Tower 42 in Playa Del Rey?? It could be prime hunting grounds for the LMU girls, who are ever so elusive.

I live just outside Playa, and am always trying to dip into the honey hole that LMU is. For a while it was GREAT on Thursday nights at Custom Hotel in Westchester. That was a couple years ago but it was like stealing candy from a kid.

These days I find the most consistent place for them to be The Hacienda on Lincoln, but its usually not the best venue for swooping unless you get them at the bar.

The Los Angeles thread

Qwest, how do you like that Playa area? I'm searching various areas around LA right now to move. I'd love to spend a month or two focusing on college girls, see what I could pull. There's 4 main areas I can think of for said girls:

- SMC. But commuter school so doubt many of them go out around that area at night.
- UCLA. Got 2-3 bars, and daygame in the village. Most expensive area to live in though.
- USC. Hottest girls? But how insular are they? Probably nothing to do living in that area other than SC.
- LMU. Admittedly know nothing about it.