rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

G Manifesto Vindicated

G Manifesto Vindicated

Let me be straight up guys: Suit up, sharp tie and a pocket square..no matter what, it will give you a boost over the competition.

I went out to an event with my friend tonight. I was more like a chaperone, but had ladies opening to me with lines like "I like your tie" and "what do you do?" Totally awesome.

So this might be old news or even lame for some advanced people, but suiting up really gives me a boost and sets things apart. It's a classy move if you can run it.

I'm trying to make an effort to be out and about these days. I was wondering if the fellas have considered joining groups like meetup? I know its Boston and in the middle of winter but no excuses for being social.

G Manifesto Vindicated

Being the best dressed guy in the room is always an advantage...being the most entertaining speaker in the room also is a deadly combo...

G Manifesto Vindicated

BostonBMW,

Great work.

Sometimes I think people don't take what I write and say serious. The crap I write works. I dare you to try it.

And I have done it all; Pure Game, Surf Traveler Game, Drug Game.

The stuff I write about is the most effective stuff out there.

And the highest, (more or less) level of the Game out there for the normal non-Fame guy.

G Manifesto Vindicated

Quote: (01-17-2010 06:16 PM)thegmanifesto Wrote:  

BostonBMW,

Great work.

Sometimes I think people don't take what I write and say serious. The crap I write works. I dare you to try it.

And I have done it all; Pure Game, Surf Traveler Game, Drug Game.

The stuff I write about is the most effective stuff out there.

And the highest, (more or less) level of the Game out there for the normal non-Fame guy.

I always believed what you wrote. Applying it was another matter, sometimes you need to see it happen for yourself to be wowed by it.

I don't have the bankroll for a full custom suit line up, but will try to up the arsenal by adding 2 more to the collection. The best part is the confidence boost. Seriously, this spot was "weesh" as the honorable G would describe it, but I still got some positive feedback.

I am a fan, sir. Will be reading up on your older entries. Did you consider writing a book? (Not for the $$, but to codify the advice in one tome)

G Manifesto Vindicated

Quote: (01-17-2010 01:49 PM)Giovonny Wrote:  

Being the best dressed guy in the room is always an advantage...being the most entertaining speaker in the room also is a deadly combo...

You're absolutely right. I have ways to go on that. I think I'll need to spend some time working on that. Do you have any advice?

G Manifesto Vindicated

"I don't have the bankroll for a full custom suit line up" I would not be sure about that bro. If you know how to work it you can get some great suits without spending a lot. I remember going to my first banquet where I had to suit up for my very first time. I looked everywhere and learned all about suits. I ended up getting a Zegna suit for very little and looking great. Of course when I went to the event everyone else including the big shoots looked like shit. So you also gotta know how to wear it, i.e. proper tie, shoes etc. G, do you have any advice in this regard? How to get some great suits for the young and up coming?

Rob

G Manifesto Vindicated

I've heard in certain Chinatowns you can go to certain tailors who measure you up and then send the information to Hong Kong where they have the suits put together and shipped back for amazing prices. You get to choose the fabrics etc, and for the price of one regular custom fit suit you can get like 5 custom fit suits.

Not to relate this to G, but all this talk of custom suits reminds me of this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_ltTL6DOyg

G Manifesto Vindicated

Great movie. Have you read the book? I hear it's a lot better-it's on my list.

Rob

G Manifesto Vindicated

Hey G,

What are your recommendations for dress/style when you're in a college crowd?

G Manifesto Vindicated

Quote: (01-18-2010 12:36 AM)kerouac Wrote:  

I've heard in certain Chinatowns you can go to certain tailors who measure you up and then send the information to Hong Kong where they have the suits put together and shipped back for amazing prices. You get to choose the fabrics etc, and for the price of one regular custom fit suit you can get like 5 custom fit suits.

Not to relate this to G, but all this talk of custom suits reminds me of this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_ltTL6DOyg

Good tip. Will check to see if this is possible in NYC Chinatown. I just want to make sure that the fabric is decent. Fellas, do not discount the power of the custom suit.

G Manifesto Vindicated

"I don't have the bankroll for a full custom suit line up, but will try to up the arsenal by adding 2 more to the collection."

Don't get intimidated by the custom suit thing. There are many ways for the upwardly mobile G to get around this. As Kerouac said, Most cities have Hong Kong tailors that can bust decent product. I have a lawyer friend that does this. They look pretty smooth. The Garment district in LA is also good.

Or work the sales heavy.

"I am a fan, sir. Will be reading up on your older entries. Did you consider writing a book?"

Yeah, I have an agent at the biggest book agency in NYC. The publishing world is f*cked though. I have gotten calls from H-wood as well. I might start exploring it more this year.

"Have you read the book? I hear it's a lot better-it's on my list. "

Read it. It is one of my Top 5. Ellis has influenced my writing more than probably anyone else.

loosewin,

Great points. Check these:

http://www.thegmanifesto.com/2005/10/g-m...suits.html

http://www.thegmanifesto.com/2006/03/ins...suits.html

http://www.thegmanifesto.com/2008/11/one...suits.html

As a young G I destroyed older walletmen by simply knowing how to dress.

gringoed,

"What are your recommendations for dress/style when you're in a college crowd?"

I really need to write more on this.

It is kind of funny because in college I didn't dress that sharp. I was more Wessyde Surf E-Tab Gangster style.

But then again, I was on the beach and it was a different era.

Suits are not really for College, I don't think. They weren't for me.

Custom Suits really help on the post college Game.

G Manifesto Vindicated

Great information all around. So how do we play the game with suits? I mean other than formal events what can we do? G, would you recommend going to the bars/clubs fully suited up? Hell, should we just go all out like Barny Stinson from "How I meet your mother" fame? Btw, I love his character.

Rob

G Manifesto Vindicated

loosewin,

The further you move up "The Layer Cake" of life, you can roll suited down more often.

"would you recommend going to the bars/clubs fully suited up?"

Absolutely. This is the way real men dress. I am always suited down in stories on The G Manifesto.

But it also depends on the type of bar.

A lame sports bar with 70% guys and jalapeno poppers? Don't go suited down. Actually don't go.

High end lobby bar with groups of 4 and 5 girls scattered around? Go suited down.

Weesh Dive bar? Don't go suited.

Art gallery opening with model girls? Go suited down.

Las Vegas? Always suited.

Miami Beach? Non-stop suited.

NYC? All day and night suited.

You get the broken picture.

As a side note, there is a lot of talk that we may need to enter an "Age of Elegance" in America if we hope to return to our greatness.

Think about it, even in the Great Depression, people fresh of the boat, dressed with style and dignity.

Nowadays, American's are despicable slobs.

It is up to you if you want to be a part of the problem or the solution.

G Manifesto Vindicated

Neil Patrick Harris (who plays B. Stinson) might be gay in real life, but he KOs most straight guys.

G: Please tell us more about style. I already brought pocket squares, a zippo lighter (I don't smoke except cigars) and some solid cowhide loafers. When hitting the nightspots, should we carry anything else?

G Manifesto Vindicated

BostonBMW,

As with most of life's great questions, the answers can be found in The G Manifesto.

"When hitting the nightspots, should we carry anything else? "

Checklist for a Night Out: http://www.thegmanifesto.com/2005/12/g-m...night.html

If you are going to watch the ponies: http://www.thegmanifesto.com/2009/07/the...klist.html

Also wrote this: G Manifesto on Dressing Like an Alpha: http://alphadominance.com/?p=1290

Let me know if you want any other data sheets.

I should be writing more on the subject soon.

G Manifesto Vindicated

Quote: (01-18-2010 05:58 PM)thegmanifesto Wrote:  

BostonBMW,

As with most of life's great questions, the answers can be found in The G Manifesto.

"When hitting the nightspots, should we carry anything else? "

Checklist for a Night Out: http://www.thegmanifesto.com/2005/12/g-m...night.html

If you are going to watch the ponies: http://www.thegmanifesto.com/2009/07/the...klist.html

Also wrote this: G Manifesto on Dressing Like an Alpha: http://alphadominance.com/?p=1290

Let me know if you want any other data sheets.

I should be writing more on the subject soon.

Impressed. I'm going through the many entries and finding excellent information.

I already brought Roosh's book "Bang" that has been great in providing the technicals of handling multiple women and changing the mindset. Your blog brings it up another notch.

I'm splitting time between building the bankroll and being out a lot more.

G Manifesto Vindicated

BostonBMW,

nothing that you probably haven't already heard. One thing i learned from this forum was just talking to any and everybody about any and everything, as a kind of warm up or to get turned "on" , hanging out with and observing "naturals" (ideally when you are 8-13 y/o) is one of the best ways to get a feel for it. And of course: Booze helps

The Art of Conversation is a nice skill to have, i think it can be improved through practice, to be honest it is not one of my major strenghs, i have learned to play it sort of "cocky/funny" and be "brutally" honest because that just fits my personality. My brother is a great natural "storyteller", he " embellishes" alot in his stories to impress girls.

As far as "being entertaining" , i have been studying this guy...

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/03/nyregi...ml?_r=1&hp

G Manifesto Vindicated

One observation about dressing sharp that I've noticed lately, you tend to command a certain amount of respect from the other dudes, especially the ones dressed like everyone else in the place. They'll be more inclined to chit-chat/shoot the shit with you almost like they see you as someone of style and class. For me this is important as I'm a firm practitioner of rolling dolo. Congregating with the dudes during the swoop downtime is very helpful for keeping you social and talkative and also helps with with future approaches as other women notice guys who have people coming up and talking to them. Looking back, it was the nights where I was dressed like an average joe schmo when I encountered more flack from the other guys out, for whatever reason.

G Manifesto Vindicated

Quote: (01-18-2010 12:36 AM)kerouac Wrote:  

From what I learned its important to get it fitted at least a few times as they are creating a custom suit. Maybe if the measurements are sent and they send the "first draft" is sent from overseas that would work. But what makes a suit great besides a perfect fit are the materials, and quality materials will never be cheap.

G Manifesto Vindicated

Hey G,

I've never been a suit guy, unless it's too weddings or funerals. Do you have any recommended readings on suits for fashion? I know there's suits you'd wear to business, and then there's the type of suit Diddy would wear to a record release party. How about breaking that out for us suit newbies. I know I need to pick up at least a few just for formal things.

Also, I'd like to hear about the accessories you need. What kind of shoes do you pair up the the suits. What colors(both shoes and suit fabric) are best. How you coordinate the tie, belt and watch and that sort of thing.

G Manifesto Vindicated

Quote: (01-29-2010 06:31 PM)speakeasy Wrote:  

Hey G,

I've never been a suit guy, unless it's too weddings or funerals. Do you have any recommended readings on suits for fashion? I know there's suits you'd wear to business, and then there's the type of suit Diddy would wear to a record release party. How about breaking that out for us suit newbies. I know I need to pick up at least a few just for formal things.

Also, I'd like to hear about the accessories you need. What kind of shoes do you pair up the the suits. What colors(both shoes and suit fabric) are best. How you coordinate the tie, belt and watch and that sort of thing.

I know a little bit about this so I will add in my 2 cents.

MPM has a few posts about specifics (designers, cuts, etc) that you can look up on his site.

As for what I know:

-Suits (and accompanying accessories) range from formal to casual on a continuum. The most formal are tuxedo outfits, the least are the weird patterns, rhinestones and shit you will see some dude wearing in hollywood. Stay away from the hollywood look unless you are a celebrity and get your weird clothes for free, trends do not last and you look like a pussy.

-In general, fit is most important, followed by fabric (thread count: higher generally better), then pattern. A $5000 black suit that fits wrong looks worse than a $500 suit that looks wrong, because people who know will know that you are trying hard and STILL look like a dumbass. The sourcing of fabric is important as is the thread count; italian fabrics are what you want. 300s is a good thread count. Zegna makes a nice fabric. Pattern, as long as you stick with classics, is all up to personal preference. Nothing ridiculous, there is no need. I am partial to black suits or dark grey with pinstripes. Again personal preference, just make sure things match up properly.

-If money isn't an issue go with bespoke (custom fit) suits; go to London to have these made. You can also do well in NYC or Milan, and other towns in Italia. Zegna, Ozwald Boateng (a bit more progressive), Astor+Black, or any of the higher end savile row/bond st tailors will get you squared away. For less $ make sure you can get it tailored; buy a cheaper suit and take it to a good tailor instead of an expensive suit that you don't get altered. I stay away from brooks brothers and Polo RL suits.

-Never skimp on shoes. They should be the costliest part of your wardrobe besides the suit, and you will need to take care of them. A good pair of shoes will last forever if you get them repaired, and you can start off with one black pair and one brown pair. I am partial to gucci link loafers and the king of loafers ferragamo. Tuxedo shoes are the most formal (these are shiny), then laces (I wear to some weddings, black tie events, and in business scenarios), then loafers (my personal favorite and very versatile if you have swag). If you have the bread go for custom fit ones (cordovan horse leather is the tippity top end); most likely you will not have that kind of $ so for starters go to a place like Nordstrom if you live in the suburbs, or preferably hit a high fashion city: you are looking for quality. London, NYC, Paris, LA, Moscow, Milan, Miami, Dubai, even Chicago or Boston for more classic styles. Classic is important: make your expensive pieces sharp (shoes, suit) and make sure they fit right. When you buy shoes ask yourself "will I be able to wear these in 3 years?" Even if you don't keep them that long, its a good habit to not looking like a clown.

-Shirts have a high turnover and generally won't last that long. Always wear white shirts to dinner. Clean white shirts are the staple of your suit wardrobe. Have at least 3 of them, and you can never have enough. Find a brand that fits right and stick with it, there are hundreds of quality shirts out there and if you don't have to pay more to get them altered then all the better. Pink makes nice shirts, but expensive. Don't feel bad buying off the rack at Nordstrom, Saks, Barneys, etc, especially if on sale and it fits. Shirts can be creative, try some pinstripes, solid colors, anything that tickles your fancy.

-Ties, I like Hermes. A tie pulls the outfit together and you should not skimp. Buy 4 good hermes ties instead of 10 shitty ones. People will notice.

-I don't know anything about pocket squares so G that's your call. Socks should match shoes, shoes should match belt. If pants and shoes are different color, socks should be in between the two (gray pants black shoes = dark grey socks). Just buy decent socks, that feel good. Belts you can get creative, but stick with something tasteful. Armani makes nice belts, or pick up some custom pieces in Argentina. Brand of belt isn't important, just make sure leather is up to par.

-Good rule with shirts/ties: if tie has pattern, wear solid shirt. if shirt has pattern, wear solid tie. As for mixing patterns, beware and don't ask me, as I tend not to.

Hope this is helpful, feel free to correct me on any errors

G Manifesto Vindicated

Hey topshelf, awesome writeup. Just what I was looking for. What do you have to say about watches? I know that's an important part not to miss.

Also, if you guys have any links of guys suited up and doing it right, please feel free to share.

G Manifesto Vindicated

topshelf305 ,

Great data sheet.

Speakeasy,

"What do you have to say about watches?"

Guest Manifesto: Time Is Of The Essence: http://www.thegmanifesto.com/2009/04/gue...sence.html

"Also, if you guys have any links of guys suited up and doing it right, please feel free to share. "

Bugsy Siegel: http://paranormalknowledge.com/articles/.../bugsy.jpg

Side note:

I have that same large houndstooth check jacket that Siegel has. Hard to find. I had to get it custom made.

G Manifesto Vindicated

suited down always works. even if youre at a house party it causes attention makes conversation makes things happen.i threw a pimps and hoes party a year ago, i was the only guy who dressed up because my friends are pussies, yea lame right? well i was the most well dressed mofo there aka i got the most action that night.

G Manifesto Vindicated

Gringoed,

For the college set, button ups and dress denim, also, if you and the boys suit up and party together, it works. Sometimes I suited up for the hell of it and I always got questions, making up the answer was half the fun.