rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

A full quarter of American Women are mentally ill

The USA has long had the highest rates of mental illness in the world, but the latest reports on the extent of it are still pretty shocking.

Mental illness struck one in five U.S. adults in 2010

Quote:Quote:

Among the highlights, people in the 50-plus age bracket had the lowest incidence of any mental illness (14.3%), while those ages 18 to 25 had the highest, at 29.9%. Women had higher rates than men: 23% versus 16.8%

When broken down by racial and ethnic groups, the highest rates of mental illness were seen among people who reported two or more races (25.4%), followed by whites (20.6%), blacks (19.7%), Native Americans or Alaska natives (18.7%), Hispanics (18.3%) and Asians (15.8%).

This I think is an important thing to keep in mind for gamers in order to keep things in perspective: at least a quarter of the women you run into at any given time are not going to be alright upstairs. When you account for age (18-25 demographic has even higher illness rates, and is also home to the women we chase after most) and the fact that many of the mentally ill go undiagnosed, you could be looking at a vastly higher proportion of crazy chicks (possibly up to 50% or more).

This can make success in the game a little tougher to quantify, if only because failure could just as easily be due to the mental instability of your target as it could be to your own mistakes.

Know your enemy and know yourself, find naught in fear for 100 battles. Know yourself but not your enemy, find level of loss and victory. Know thy enemy but not yourself, wallow in defeat every time.

If 30% of 18-25 year olds are mentally ill since it affects females more than males maybe 40% of girls in their prime are mentally ill. I wonder if it correlates with attractiveness in females too.

This doesn't surprise me at all.

Hell, I've long thought they are all nuts.

Quote: (02-05-2012 01:25 AM)P Dog Wrote:  

I wonder if it correlates with attractiveness in females too.

Well according to the other thread

Quote: (02-01-2012 02:23 AM)P Dog Wrote:  

Quote: (02-01-2012 01:57 AM)WesternCancer Wrote:  

Fat Entitled Whore - 1 WesternCancer - 0

Ohh shitt, sorry I didn't read that first time I saw it. That's fucked up. She's going to ruin someones life one day with her bullshit.

Insecure girls HATE HATE HATE alpha. My ex tried to talk to me yesterday and my "swag" so to speak sent her into a frenzy. Your post reminds me of Gmac's (?) post about the crazy bitch he fucked in a hotel room in New York. She had similar issues about being told what to do.

it looks like mental illness might be either loaded towards uglier girls or falls on an inverse bell curve. For example,

Uglier girls= not used to getting alpha=insecure=crazy

Really Hot Girls= status/ spoiled=lots of beta orbiters= doesn't know how to handle being ignored/switched out with other girls=crazy

but, you could also argue

Really Hot Girls=tired of beta orbiters/alpha wanna be's= happy/ more normal around real men of value (assuming she hasn't already encountered them, which becomes more unlikely the more people she meets so cities are unlikely)

Quote:Quote:

at least a quarter of the women you run into at any given time are not going to be alright upstairs.

I'd say 25% sounds about right

Contributor at Return of Kings.  I got banned from twatter, which is run by little bitches and weaklings. You can follow me on Gab.

Be sure to check out the easiest mining program around, FreedomXMR.

Quote: (02-05-2012 01:52 AM)YoungGunner Wrote:  

Ohh shitt, sorry I didn't read that first time I saw it. That's fucked up. She's going to ruin someones life one day with her bullshit.

Insecure girls HATE HATE HATE alpha. My ex tried to talk to me yesterday and my "swag" so to speak sent her into a frenzy. Your post reminds me of Gmac's (?) post about the crazy bitch he fucked in a hotel room in New York. She had similar issues about being told what to do.

it looks like mental illness might be either loaded towards uglier girls or falls on an inverse bell curve. For example,

Really Hot Girls= status/ spoiled=lots of beta orbiters= doesn't know how to handle being ignored/switched out with other girls=crazy

Really Hot Girls=tired of beta orbiters/alpha wanna be's= happy/ more normal around real men of value (assuming she hasn't already encountered them, which becomes more unlikely the more people she meets so cities are unlikely)

I don't know about ugly girls hating alphas, but definitely the insecure ones like my ex.

I think you're reading too much into things here.

I'm just suspecting that more attractive girls develop have a higher chance of developing super attention seeking behaviour which can be classified as a mental illness.

If 30% of 18-25 year olds are mentally ill since it affects females more than males maybe 40% of girls in their prime are mentally ill. I wonder if it correlates with attractiveness in females too.
That would assume that women are on average 37% more likely to be mentally ill across all age groups (23%/16.8%=137%). I'd bet hard money, that the 18-25 group is heavily skewed to women for mental illness due to attractiveness being strongest in their prime, (which would confirm your statement). So I believe it's likely to be 41% or more whom are mentally ill.

Kind of sucks that the original report didn't break out the most common types of illnesses. But I would guess narcissism and depression were the most common.

I wonder if its possible to get a hold of the mental illness survey. It would be pretty hilarious for guys give the survey to girls they just fucked.

Quote: (02-05-2012 02:49 AM)P Dog Wrote:  

I don't know about ugly girls hating alphas, but definitely the insecure ones like my ex.

I'm just suspecting that more attractive girls develop have a higher chance of developing super attention seeking behaviour which can be classified as a mental illness.

Thing is: ugly=insecure, as does seeking attention. You're basically saying the same thing.

Cool found the original tables. http://www.samhsa.gov/data/NSDUH/2k10MH_...tm#Tab1.1A (I plugged them into Excel so they're easier to read)
[Image: attachment.jpg4512]   
[Image: attachment.jpg4511]   

Looks I was incorrect in my estimates. But it is true that women are way more likely to be crazy than guys at every age. With 18 year olds being 41% mentally ill and an average of 35% being mentally ill in the 18-25 bracket. That's more than 1 in 3 girls being crazy, fuck...

Quote: (02-05-2012 03:45 AM)YoungGunner Wrote:  

Quote: (02-05-2012 02:49 AM)P Dog Wrote:  

Thing is: ugly=insecure, as does seeking attention. You're basically saying the same thing.

To be technical and really general, not all insecure girls are ugly. But all ugly girls are insecure.

One of the hottest girls I know is bulimic for example. My ex is incredibly insecure and legit crazy. Haha if they're hot and insecure good chance they're a part of the 30% of chicks who are mentally ill.

I'm looking through the data.

Asian women are about as crazy as white girls during 18-25 (31% vs 33%) but then become lower than most of the other races in the older brackets. Pretty much shows a generation change i believe.

Doesn't surprise me one iota.

That data is the official reading.How many people walking around half nuts that never see a Doc and just wander off into their own world while operating on auto pilot,cause of broken dreams ,bad relationships,abuse,Daddy issues.

I've felt like I was going a little cuckoo more than once and other than talk through a few things with people I trust, never sought outside professional help,just cause I thought nobody else could really understand or sort my shit out better than me.

Luckily,I was right..but loads of people do need real help,Young women mostly.

American Women are the most drugged and medicated species on the planet. They are pumped full of hormones as young as 19 and keep up that routine well into their 30's. They receive a host of shoddy vaccines that Men luckily do not have to touch, Women are set up to be strung out at an early age. This is why I am not surprised that White Women are on top as they are most affluent in American/Western Society and are more likley to be on birth control and host of other shit.

Also nobody will take into account the negative effects of Women over stepping their boundaries in trying to achieve status and mobility in the work force. IMO Men are obviously more wired for this slugfest as for women... It is by my guess more corrosive to them then Men. For a Male jumping into the fire to achieve success and stature will be rewarded. Once a Male achieves a heafty salary and status his prospects go up ten fold. For a Women there is no guarantee, if your ugly and cold no man will want to be with you regardless of your status or accolades.

Of course no study will look deep into seeing how birth control and menstrual vaccines completely goof up a females mind as this would put a halt to female sexual "openness" or hypergammy (sp?).

Anybody want to hazard a more theoretical approach why this happens in the US? Is it merely over-diagnose or is there something in the culture that promotes mental illness?

Over diagnose is one thing for sure. Big-pharma will push antidepressants on you if you nearly feel down when it's a cloudy day. I am sure many on this forum have been diagnosed with a mental illness at one point or another. My personal view is still hormone medication where American women by in large take in the most globally.

Quote: (02-05-2012 09:13 AM)Vicious Wrote:  

Anybody want to hazard a more theoretical approach why this happens in the US? Is it merely over-diagnose or is there something in the culture that promotes mental illness?

First off the most common diagnosis is depression-- about 80% of people get clinically depressed at some time in their life. Most definitely do not want to CALL it that. "I was just a little down, that's all." It's the common cold of the mind. It usually remits on it's own and people never try to get help. The older you get, the more frequent.

The stereotype of "mental illness" as being out of contact with reality is a minority of the mentally ill. Schizophrenia, Schizoaffective disorder are very very roughly 1-2% each of general population. Women get depressed more, men suffer more from substance dependence.

You should remember Mental Illness includes
--dementia from aging.
--Substance dependence-- you 10 beer a night guys, hello. If you ever had a DUI you probably qualified for a Substance Abuse diagnosis at that time. That's a mental illness diagnosis.
--Mental disorder from a physical illness-- Get hit in a car accident or from an IED and lose impulse control for the rest of your life, and you've got a mental illness diagnosis.

The idea that there's any stats even remotely comparable from second and third world countries shows these studies are done by ivory tower academics out of touch with the real world. Those are some VERY cushy gubmint jobs from which these studies emerge.

How could they possibly compare mental illness rates between Princeton, and Omaha, with those of the interior of Peru's indigenous people where none of them have probably ever even looked at a map of the place?

The most glaring, obvious flaw is probably that many 2nd/3rd world people are never seen within a hundred miles of seeing a clinician where they could be diagnosed. Even in, say, Alabama there aren't nearly enough mental health people to see all the rural poor.

The cultural stigma associated with getting a diagnosis, as well as a simple brutal LACK OF MONEY in 2nd/3rd world will preclude many/most from EVER being evaluated.

However, it is still good to,in general, push the idea that mental illness is widespread. Denial/stigma prevents many, many needy people from getting treatment-- and you don't have to take pills unless a court determines you are a imminent, serious danger to self or others. You could do something else.

Big pharma does have an ax to grind, but if you read a little you can find some drugs for milder problems that are cheap and work well. I've used St. John's Wort for depression and it's good, better than Prozac for me.

But the anti-pill league can go too far. Any one who works in professional mental health knows there are many, many people who would be out of their fucking minds, tormented by bizarre ideas, and miserable without anti-psychotics; then when they get ON the meds they have a tolerable, calmer life.

The amateur has his opinions, but without seeing thousands of real-life cases with and without drugs, these opinions are worth little.

why does it decline with age?

dont you think drug companies could be exaggerating these claims to sell more drugs?

the average hot girl 18-25 suffers from attention whore disorder thats for sure. i would hypothesize that as they receive less attention as they get older and as they become less able to ride the cock carousel, mental disorders would rise with age. yet this data is showing the opposite

It is the culture. It promotes endless work without self-gratification, represses sexuality (resulting in a society that wants to be sexual but cannot express it, thus creating unhealthy sexual dynamics), and was built upon a basis of strict racial stratification. Add on to this its obsession with dog-eat-dog individualism, relatively unrestrained capitalism and materialism/consumerism, and you can see where it all comes from.

This society is built to breed unhealthy people who are constantly stressed, constantly overworked, extremely materialistic, unable to really let loose and highly divided with little of the general societal cohesion you see in many parts of Europe (states that, not coincidentally, tend to maintain more in the way of social welfare). They make a lot of money (no place is better for earning than the USA-this is why people come here), but they pay the price when it comes to the quality of their life. That's the American bargain.

The story of the American Dream, which I wrote about here, puts this into even better context.

If you want to know where all of this comes from, read up a little more on America's Calvinist Puritan roots. Once you understand the nature of that ideology (and the dominant role it has played in originating and shaping the growth of this nation), it'll all begin to make sense.

Know your enemy and know yourself, find naught in fear for 100 battles. Know yourself but not your enemy, find level of loss and victory. Know thy enemy but not yourself, wallow in defeat every time.

Quote: (02-05-2012 04:20 PM)Athlone McGinnis Wrote:  

It is the culture. It promotes endless work without self-gratification, represses sexuality (resulting in a society that wants to be sexual but cannot express it, thus creating unhealthy sexual dynamics), and was built upon a basis of strict racial stratification. Add on to this its obsession with dog-eat-dog individualism, relatively unrestrained capitalism and materialism/consumerism, and you can see where it all comes from.

This society is built to breed unhealthy people who are constantly stressed, constantly overworked, extremely materialistic, unable to really let loose and highly divided with little of the general societal cohesion you see in many parts of Europe (states that, not coincidentally, tend to maintain more in the way of social welfare). They make a lot of money (no place is better for earning than the USA-this is why people come here), but they pay the price when it comes to the quality of their life. That's the American bargain.

The story of the American Dream, which I wrote about here, puts this into even better context.

If you want to know where all of this comes from, read up a little more on America's Calvinist Puritan roots. Once you understand the nature of that ideology (and the dominant role it has played in originating and shaping the growth of this nation), it'll all begin to make sense.

Your analytical ability is pretty spectacular, sir. I've always said if you want to understand America, know who John Calvin is. There's definitely a palpable Puritan undercurrent in mainstream American life.

Vicious I think the extremely high rate of mental illness amongst 18 year old girls might be because of factors like Facebook, being treated princesses, and the influence of MTV media and such. It leads to massive status whoring among American girls(including TO girls). A large amount of them are seriously stupid as fuck and very annoying. Teenagers in Europe that I've met are far more mature. This is why guys like Int'l Playboy get sickened by guys banging 16 year olds, American 16 year olds are very immature compared to European girls of the same age.

I was constantly shocked by the fact that 18 and 19 year old girls in Scandinavia appeared to be in their 20s because of their behavior.

I have a few facebook friends of Scandinavia and the girls there spend way less time finding the perfect camera angle or posting millions of cucko faces. I guess its the lack of MTV influence in that culture. American women try to emulate movies like Mean Girls. Attention whoring is a disease amongst younger girls here and a large part of them are not interesting in any manner.

This is especially true in cities like Toronto. Small town girls are far sweeter and far less crazier.

Quote: (02-05-2012 03:42 PM)iknowexactly Wrote:  

You should remember Mental Illness includes
--dementia from aging.
--Substance dependence-- you 10 beer a night guys, hello. If you ever had a DUI you probably qualified for a Substance Abuse diagnosis at that time. That's a mental illness diagnosis.
--Mental disorder from a physical illness-- Get hit in a car accident or from an IED and lose impulse control for the rest of your life, and you've got a mental illness diagnosis.

The survey removes biological/hereditary mental illnesses. It's in the appendix.

As for why there's a high rate of mental illness in the west? I think Athlone's views creates the foundation of what causes the problem in the US. I believe the differences between the male and female come from the fact young women get more attention than guys and that makes the already prevalent self-indulgence worse. Further women are more emotional than guys and I'm sure they get depressed all the time from the to need to conform to stupid social norms, not getting the guy they want, not getting some shitty purse or iphone, or not being the center of fucking attention.

At least 25% of these bitches are crazy. Friday night there was a decent looking brunette sitting at the end of the bar by herself. I walk up to her and ask her why she is sitting all alone. Bitch turns around and SCREAMS at me "Get the fuck away from me!!!!" like a god damn psycho lol. I didn't know at first, but she is partially def so talks funny too. I'm like whoa girl, I was perfectly nice, calm down. And the bitch is literally screaming at the top of her lungs to get away and that I'm a piece of shit and an asshole and whatever. The bartender girl kicks her out and is like yeah, that bitch is fucking crazy.

This is one of many crazy girls at the local bars in my hometown. These bitches are literally out of their minds and absolutely LOVE drama. I mean they love it and jump at any chance they can to stir somethin up.

What the hell kind of criteria are they using to define people as "mentally" ill?

Vice-Captain - #TeamWaitAndSee

Quote: (02-05-2012 06:52 PM)Gmac Wrote:  

What the hell kind of criteria are they using to define people as "mentally" ill?
It's based on the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-IV). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diagnostic_..._Disorders Within the guide, there are specific certain questions that are asked. And, based on those answers, the patient could be diagnosed with one or more mental illnesses.

Mental Illness Definitions. Mental illness was measured using an adapted version of the SCID-I/NP (First et al., 2002) and differentiated by the level of functional impairment based on the Global Assessment of Functioning (GAF) scale (Endicott, Spitzer, Fleiss, & Cohen, 1976). Past year disorders that were assessed through the SCID included mood disorders (e.g., MDE, manic episode), anxiety disorders (e.g., panic disorder, generalized anxiety disorder, posttraumatic stress disorder), eating disorders (e.g., anorexia nervosa), intermittent explosive disorder, and adjustment disorder. In addition, the presence of psychotic symptoms was assessed. Substance use disorders also were assessed, although these disorders were not used to produce estimates of mental illness.

Respondents were defined as having any mental illness (AMI) if they were determined to have any of the mental disorders assessed in the SCID, regardless of the level of functional impairment.
Respondents were defined as having low (mild) mental illness if they had any of the mental disorders assessed in the SCID, but these disorders resulted in no more than mild impairment, based on GAF scores of greater than 59.
Respondents were defined as having moderate mental illness if they had any of the mental disorders assessed in the SCID, and these disorders resulted in moderate impairment, based on GAF scores of 51 to 59.
Respondents were defined as having serious mental illness (SMI) if they had any of the mental disorders assessed in the SCID, and these disorders resulted in substantial impairment in carrying out major life activities, based on GAF scores of 50 or below.

The SCID and the GAF in combination were considered to be the gold standard for measuring mental illness.

C.1 Definition of Mental Illness

In order to compare estimates of mental illness produced from NSDUH with other surveys, it is useful first to define serious mental illness (SMI) as specified by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA). SMI among persons aged 18 or older is defined as having a diagnosable mental, behavioral, or emotional disorder (excluding developmental and substance use disorders) of sufficient duration to meet diagnostic criteria specified within the 4th edition of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-IV) (American Psychiatric Association [APA], 1994) that has resulted in serious functional impairment, which substantially interferes with or limits one or more major life activities. See the first section of Chapter 2 in this report for the statutory requirement for SAMHSA to develop an operational definition of SMI. Similarly, NSDUH uses the following operational definition for the estimation of any mental illness (AMI) among adults: having (currently or at any time in the past year) a diagnosable mental, behavioral, or emotional disorder (excluding developmental and substance use disorders) of sufficient duration to meet diagnostic criteria specified within the DSM-IV, regardless of functional impairment.

Clinical interview data on psychiatric disorders and impairment in carrying out daily activities due to these disorders were collected from a subset of adult NSDUH respondents. Mental illness among adults in the civilian, noninstitutionalized population was estimated by prediction models that used screening questions on distress and impairment from the overall adult NSDUH sample and the clinical interview data from the subset of adult NSDUH respondents. See Section B.4.3 in Appendix B of this report and Section B.4.3 in Appendix B of the 2009 mental health findings report (Center for Behavioral Health Statistics and Quality [CBHSQ], 2010) for additional details on the distress and impairment screening scales, model specifications, and specification of levels of impairment for mental illness variables.

http://www.samhsa.gov/data/NSDUH/2k10MH_...s.htm#AppC

Almost a third of young American women are mentally ill? I'm shocked! Thought that number'd be higher.