rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Why Go to College at All?

From: http://thechoice.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/...at-all/?hp

Quote:Quote:

February 2, 2012, 6:00 am
By HOLLY EPSTEIN OJALVO
Is college worth it? High school seniors anxiously awaiting admissions decisions might find that question bizarre, but recently some strenuous arguments have been leveled against the value of a college degree.

For more insight into those arguments, we turned to Dale J. Stephens, 20, the founder of UnCollege, which urges students to “hack their education” by finding their own pathways to success. Mr. Stephens, 20, is a Thiel fellow who spent his middle and high school years “unschooling,” and then left college after a brief time there.

Mr. Stephens envisions “a world where people make their own decisions,” where college is not a foregone conclusion and young people forge their own paths to fulfillment.

We asked Mr. Stephens for his responses to the five main arguments most often given for going to college. Here’s what he had to say.

Reason 1: Learning in a rigorous, supported educational environment

“If you want to learn, college is the last place you should go,” Mr. Stephens said. “A lot of learning isn’t happening on college campuses.”
That may sound surprising, given that college is virtually defined as an institution devoted to nourishing learning and intellectualism.

Not true, Mr. Stephens said. “What you learn in college is generally the same skill set that you learn in a traditional school environment,” he said. “You learn how to follow directions, meet deadlines and memorize facts.”

Although college provides structure and resources for learning, “I don’t know that structure is a good thing,” he said. “When you go out into the world, there’s no structure like that. A job doesn’t give you a syllabus.” He added, “Learners should be able to access resources on their own terms.” He described initiatives that provide laboratory, research and other facilities to the general public. Although these are not yet widely available, he said, they seem to be growing.

And he criticized the education system – and standardized testing in particular – for being “efficient but not effective.” His ideal is self-directed education forged on the principles of self-directed, project-based learning, perhaps with the guidance of mentors.

Reason 2: Socializing and developing a network of friends and contacts

Mr. Stephens said that many have advised him that he’s missing out by not going to college, where, the rationale goes, he could be meeting women and drinking beer. His retort: “I like guys and Champagne.”

Underlying this flip yet frank answer is his conviction that the social world of college is a self-selecting, largely homogenous “bubble.”

“You might end up limiting yourself if you only socialize with people on your dorm floor and in your classes,” he said. Campus demographics might be diverse, he said, but “people are still there for the same reason.” In contrast, he said, unschooling has allowed him to actively seek opportunities to meet people who travel different walks in life.

As for the value of making connections in college to nurture a professional network, people are increasingly using social media resources like LinkedIn, Twitter and Facebook to make connections, Mr. Stephens said.

Reason 3: Status

“I think that’s the most valid reason to go to college,” Mr. Stephens allowed. “If you can go to a top school, by all means, go. It doesn’t mean that you need to finish.” A semester or two may be all you need, he said, to gain the advantages associated with the school’s name brand.

Reason 4: Self-discovery

Many college graduates believe that they discovered themselves in their years on campus. But Mr. Stephens said the typical student’s lack of real responsibility, coupled with an emphasis on rote memorization and test taking, hampers true personal growth.

“College is a sandbox that gives you a false sense of reality,” he said. “It’s much more beneficial to learn what it means to direct your own life.” Learners are better off spending early adulthood developing self-reliance, he said.

Self-discovery might best be achieved doing something constructive, he argued, like creating a start-up.

The idea of taking a gap year off from school to explore the world and find yourself raised his hackles. “Why does it have to be a year off? Why can’t it be a year on? Why should you have to take time out of the system to engage?” he asked.

Reason 5: Attaining a marketable degree and developing earning potential

Statistics show that college graduation correlates positively with economic factors like lower rates of unemployment and higher earnings.

The key factor may be not the degree itself but the degree earner, Mr. Stephens contended. “It’s not that college creates success,” he said. “It’s that smart and motivated people in our society tend to go to college. I bet if you took those smart and motivated people and put them out into the work force, they would earn more than other people.”

He believes that typical college coursework is largely divorced from reality: “Taking a psychology course doesn’t mean you know what it’s like to work as a psychologist.” Better to observe, shadow and perhaps intern with professionals, he said, noting that coursework or a degree may be required to enter a profession or gain licensing.

He also took issue with some of the data, noting, “The lower unemployment rates are only for college graduates over 25.” (Indeed, as The Times reported last spring, only slightly more than 55 percent of young college graduates are working in jobs that require a college degree.) He thought one reason might be that young graduates simply aren’t developing useful skills in college.

Rising levels of college debt, he said, further complicate the financial picture for college graduates. Young people might look at the time and money they would invest in a college education and determine a better way to use those resources.

In the end, perhaps the point that Mr. Stephens most wanted to make is that even those who opt for college should reflect on their goals and make good, clear-eyed decisions. “Understand why you’re going so you can make the most of your experience. Be honest about it,” he said.

I think this is the first article I've seen that acknowledges the statistics about college graduates having lower unemployment and higher earnings are old, and the game has changed.

This Stephen guy nails it.

Contributor at Return of Kings.  I got banned from twatter, which is run by little bitches and weaklings. You can follow me on Gab.

Be sure to check out the easiest mining program around, FreedomXMR.

http://www.jamesaltucher.com/2010/02/don...o-college/

Don’t Send Your Kids to College

Somehow I went wrong as a father. The other day my two daughters informed me they eventually want to go to college. I said, “No way!” and they attempted to argue with me. I have no problem with them talking back to me but somehow they’ve been brainwashed by society into thinking that college is a good thing for young, intelligent, ambitious young people. Let’s look at the basic facts about higher education.

The average tuition cost is approximately $16,000 per year. Plus assume another $10,000 in living costs, books, etc. $26,000 in total for a complete cost of $104,000 in a 4 year period. Some people choose to go more expensive by going to a private college and some people choose to go a little cheaper by going public but this is an average. Also, a huge assumption is that its just for a 4 year period. According to the Department of Education, only 54% of undergraduates graduate within 6 years. So for the 46% that don’t graduate, or take 10 years to graduate, this is a horrible investment. But lets assume your children are in the brilliant first half who finish within six years (and hopefully within four).

Is it worth it? First, let’s look at it completely from a monetary perspective. Over the course of a lifetime, according to CollegeBoard, a college graduate can be expected to earn $800,000 more than his counterpart that didn’t go to college. $800,000 is a big spread and it could potentially separate the haves from the have-nots. But who has and who doesn’t?

If I took that $104,000 and I chose to invest it in a savings account that had interest income of 5% per year I’d end up with an extra $1.4 million dollars over a 50 year period. A full $600,000 more. That $600,000 is a lot of extra money an 18 year old could look forward to in her retirement. I also think the $800,000 quoted above is too high. Right now most motivated kids who have the interest and resources to go to college think it’s the only way to go if they want a good job. If those same kids decided to not go to college my guess is they would quickly close the gap on that $800,000 spread.

There are other factors as well. I won’t be spending $104,000 per child when my children, ages 10 and 7, decide to go to college. College costs have historically gone up much faster than inflation. Since 1978, cost of living has gone up three-fold. Medical costs, much to the horror of everyone in Congress, has gone up six-fold. And college education has gone up a whopping tenfold. This is beyond the housing bubble, the stock market bubble, any bubble you can think of.

So how can people afford college? Well, how has the US consumer afforded anything? They borrow it, of course. The average student now graduates with a $23,000 debt burden. Up from $13,000 12 years ago. Last year, student borrowings totaled $75 billion, up 25% from the year before. If students go on to graduate degrees such as law degrees they can see their debt burden soar to $200,000 or more. And the easy borrowing convinces colleges that they can raise prices even more.

So what should people do instead?

One idea: start a business. You don’t need to be an entrepreneur to get valuable experience selling a service, or buying some set of goods cheap and selling them expensive. A year or two of that will be a massive education in salesmanship, finance, and how to deal with the ups and downs of any business. And if you’re missing out on the 500 page books on The Deconstruction of Televisionthen buy a Kindle and read in your spare time. Maybe travel a bit. Or learn to paint. All of these things can be done cheap, will provide massive life experience, and maybe even make some money.

I brought the million-dollar lie before I took the red pill unfortunately. Student loans are too profitable for private lenders and the gov't for to stop pushing the "college for everyone" motif. Tbh, if you think you need it for work that's not true, you can just put B.A. in Whatever on your resume as most employers don't really check b/c it costs $$ to do so. ymmv.

Also,

“What you learn in college is generally the same skill set that you learn in a traditional school environment,” he said. “You learn how to follow directions, meet deadlines and memorize facts.”
This sums up my feeling about education in the U.S and the gender achievement gap in schools: Women are most likely to sit down, shut and regurgitate w/e they're teacher told them. Docility is great for school, not the real world.

Quote: (08-18-2016 12:05 PM)dicknixon72 Wrote:  
...and nothing quite surprises me anymore. If I looked out my showroom window and saw a fully-nude woman force-fucking an alligator with a strap-on while snorting xanex on the roof of her rental car with her three children locked inside with the windows rolled up, I wouldn't be entirely amazed.

For the folks out there that are truly enterprising, self educated individuals, skipping college can be an option.

HOWEVER, for the VAST majority of people in the U.S., you will make more money as a college graduate than without a college degree or knowledge of a SKILLED trade. Everyone likes to throw out examples of Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, etc, as proof that you don't need a degree. The problem is that most people are not nearly as gifted as those guys.

The key to getting your money out of college is to be smart about it. There is ZERO reason to spend $100K on a bachelors degree from some no name school. Even if you didn't know the ins and outs of how to hack the college education process in order to get a degree for the least cost, you could still just sign up for your local commuter state university and wind up spending in the $30K range. Very reasonable. If you did your first two years at a community college, you could probably knock another $10K off of that pricetag.

If you know how to really play the system, a $10K degree is completely doable. Also, if you are enterprising enough to start your own business, you are enterprising enough to work on you education on the side. If not a formal degree, at least work at developing some in-demand skills.

Quote: (02-02-2012 09:51 AM)Vitriol Wrote:  

I think this is the first article I've seen that acknowledges the statistics about college graduates having lower unemployment and higher earnings are old, and the game has changed.

The reason why college graduate earnings have flattened out is because so many people are college graduates now. If you want to see something interesting look at the change in earnings over time for people WITHOUT a degree. It has gone through the floor. Adjusted for inflation, high school graduates make 25% LESS than they did 30 years ago. College graduates salary has gone up a little (about 6%).

The most recent data that I have seen shows a $22K+ difference in salary between men with just a high school diploma and men with a bachelors degree or higher. Even if we exclude men with graduate degrees and compare men with ONLY bachelors degrees with men who actually have some college but didn't get a degree, the difference in income is STILL $12K.

The article also counters that a large number of new college graduates are in jobs that do not require a college degree. What that REALLY means is that jobs that were previously open to folks without a college degree are now being scooped up by people with a college degree. Since there is an overabundance of college graduates employers can be more selective for jobs that traditionally did not require college.

As an example of this, look at two of the most traditional blue collar jobs, policemen and fireman. Many of the larger departments are requiring 60 credit hours or military service to even qualify. Other departments that don't have that requirement still give a lot of weight to a college degree.

Where folks really get burned for not having a college degree is when they get older. Lacking a college degree often excludes people from qualifying for management positions and higher salaries. Also, much of the status that the non-college graduate has within his organization is lost if he tries to get employment at another company. While your previous employer may have come to realize that you know your job like the back of your hand and don't need a degree, new prospective employers do not have that information, and often times simply dismisses your application based on not having the same academic credentials that your competitors for the job have.

I harp on the power of a degree because I have PERSONALLY seen the power of it. I left school with only a few classes left to work for a dotcom back in 2000, right before the bubble burst. They offered me a ridiculous amount of money and I new that whenever I wanted to go back and finish the degree later I could just take the 2 or 3 classes I needed and graduate.

When the company went bust a year later, I was out of work and looking for a job. I thought that it would be easy given my technical skills and the reputation of my university (even though I hadn't graduated). I was wrong. After 6 months of getting my ass kicked in my job search, I had to take a bullshit administrative assistant job to make ends meat. Lesson learned.

As soon as I got up the money, I took those final classes in the spring semester, while I was working. When I got the degree, and started resubmitting my application with my degree, as well as using my school's formal alumni network, I got interest in my resume in a matter of days and multiple offers for great salaries in a matter of weeks.

The difference was absolutely shocking. Think about this. I was the exact same person I had been before. The courses had NOTHING to do with my career (the courses fulfilled English requirement and a foreign language requirement). Yet the moment I was able to put my completed degree on my resume all of the doors opened up.

At this point my career is going great, I have my bachelors and am finishing up grad school next semester, so I am good. I am not trying to post this to prove that I am right and everyone else is wrong. I just want people to see the whole story. I don't want someone to make what could potentially be a HUGE mistake in their lives without as much information as possible.

The author of the article quoted in the OP, the man telling folks the future value (or lack thereof) of getting a college degree is only 20 himself. He is also an exceptionally smart individual. Someone with his gifts telling folks not to go to college reminds me of Brad Pitt talking about how well dropping out of college to pursue an acting career worked out for him. Most people are not Brad Pitt.

I would advise everyone to do a little bit of reading about Peter Thiel.

http://thielfoundation.org/index.html

The guy in the article is a Thiel fellow.

He has a lot of interesting futuristic projects going on including trying to build floating cities in the middle of the ocean, known as "seasteading."

Regarding education, I just started in Law school. I chose the community college equivalent. The tuition is 15k/year as opposed to 30-36k/year for all of the other schools in Massachusetts. I didnt even consider going anywhere else and also saved some time and money by not having to take the LSAT's. It's definately an anti-establishment school which I like.

Mark cuban just gave a long Q & A interview with freakonomics. When asked a question about education, he said student loans should be capped @ 5k/year per student available. This would force universities to become more efficient. I think its a good idea.

The purpose of college is not the education. So arguments that you could learn x, y, z by some other method miss the point. joehoya pointed out the realities of the market and strategies for making it cheap.

It seems to me that a lot of don't go to college advice comes from exceptional people, but most people are not exceptional. What do they do?

Quote: (02-05-2012 11:09 AM)LowerCaseG Wrote:  

Regarding education, I just started in Law school. I chose the community college equivalent. The tuition is 15k/year as opposed to 30-36k/year for all of the other schools in Massachusetts. I didnt even consider going anywhere else and also saved some time and money by not having to take the LSAT's. It's definately an anti-establishment school which I like.

Mark cuban just gave a long Q & A interview with freakonomics. When asked a question about education, he said student loans should be capped @ 5k/year per student available. This would force universities to become more efficient. I think its a good idea.

LCG,

I hope you don't take this the wrong way but going to such a law school may be very detrimental to your legal career if you hope to practice in a major legal market (unless you are a balls out awesome). The legal community is extremely credentialist, and the current legal market is one of the worst ever. Of course, if your intent is to start a solo practice rather than get into Big Law, it might not matter nearly as much. Best of luck; I'm done this year.

Quote: (02-04-2012 09:53 PM)Goldin Boy Wrote:  

Tbh, if you think you need it for work that's not true, you can just put B.A. in Whatever on your resume as most employers don't really check b/c it costs $$ to do so. ymmv.

This is true. 90% of employers do not verify credentials. They only run criminal, drug and sometimes credit checks - that's it.

The only professions that require college degrees, and take the timer o verify them are top tier consulting firms (who recruit college kids to begin with), like PWC, or Andersen Consulting.

Unless you are a doctor or lawyer, credentials will seldom be checked.

If I can go back in time, I'd take the 300,000USD I spent on a college degree and throw it in a savings account offshore, and have it there for 40 years gaining 5% interest.

I don't feel smarter fro going to college, 20 years later, I feel like I was an idiot following social norms, which you all know I am strongly against as a 37 year old man.

Mixx

These days, a college degree is treated exactly the way it should be, a worthless piece of paper. I might have been a bit early recognizing this but thirty years ago, I quit a prominent college to go to work in the field I really liked. Probably the best thing I ever did. I got to travel the world, make a shitpile of money, and now after taking a six month retirement, am getting to get back in the field I really like under my terms. Do what you like, college these days is irrelevant. There's an old saying among my peers that goes something like this, "That only works in reality, it won't work on paper". Pretty much gives you guys our opinion of college graduates.

A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be.
Apocalypse Cometh

Quote: (02-05-2012 11:43 AM)MiXX Wrote:  

Quote: (02-04-2012 09:53 PM)Goldin Boy Wrote:  

Tbh, if you think you need it for work that's not true, you can just put B.A. in Whatever on your resume as most employers don't really check b/c it costs $$ to do so. ymmv.

This is true. 90% of employers do not verify credentials. They only run criminal, drug and sometimes credit checks - that's it.

The only professions that require college degrees, and take the timer o verify them are top tier consulting firms (who recruit college kids to begin with), like PWC, or Andersen Consulting.

Unless you are a doctor or lawyer, credentials will seldom be checked.

If I can go back in time, I'd take the 300,000USD I spent on a college degree and throw it in a savings account offshore, and have it there for 40 years gaining 5% interest.

I don't feel smarter fro going to college, 20 years later, I feel like I was an idiot following social norms, which you all know I am strongly against as a 37 year old man.

Mixx

300K for a college degree?!? Where was this?

Quote: (02-05-2012 11:29 AM)Menace Wrote:  

Quote: (02-05-2012 11:09 AM)LowerCaseG Wrote:  

LCG,

I hope you don't take this the wrong way but going to such a law school may be very detrimental to your legal career if you hope to practice in a major legal market (unless you are a balls out awesome). The legal community is extremely credentialist, and the current legal market is one of the worst ever. Of course, if your intent is to start a solo practice rather than get into Big Law, it might not matter nearly as much. Best of luck; I'm done this year.

I agree. Most likely will simply hang a shingle, and keep doing my own thing. I see it more as a supplement to being an entrepreneur as opposed to a career in and of itself.

If I can get straight A's the first couple of semester's maybe ill apply to transfer to Harvard!!!!

It's not all that cut and dry. I like the comments in that article because they do a good job at holding Mr. Stephens to task. You simply can't generalize about college. All colleges are different, as are majors and the students themselves. Ultimately, it's what you make of it.

I can tell you that the people who benefit from it the most economically tend to be those who get recruited upon graduating. Your first job out of college is very important (especially if you don't go into graduate school). It can shape the amount of money you'll make for years, even decades.

Quote: (02-05-2012 11:55 AM)Hencredible Casanova Wrote:  

Sorry HH. I need to stay anonymous on that one, and cannot post too much personal info on a public forum.

I went to a private University, and that was the cost over 5 years.

Mixx

Quote: (02-05-2012 12:39 PM)MiXX Wrote:  

Quote: (02-05-2012 11:55 AM)Hencredible Casanova Wrote:  

Sorry HH. I need to stay anonymous on that one, and cannot post too much personal info on a public forum.

I went to a private University, and that was the cost over 5 years.

Mixx

Understood. It's just I never heard of a figure that high which made me very curious.

I don't know where you all have worked, but every employer I worked for did a check to verify my academic degrees. Even when the employer did not mention it earlier, they still conducted a check once I accepted an offer. Hell one time I found out because the employer called me saying that they could not verify my degrees (turns out that they called my undergrad alma-mater to verify my M.S. degree and my grad-school alma-mater to verify my B.S. degree). This was before I started doing security-clearance work (where they verify EVERYTHING).

Having said all of that....

If you are not majoring in computer science, mathematics (comp-sci emphasis), computer engineering, petroleum engineering, accounting or finance, it is kind of hard to justify spending a lot on college or even going to college...UNLESS you are getting a free ride to one of the Ivy League schools, Stanford, Cal-Berkeley, Georgia Tech or Northwestern.

I lucked out since I was a mathematics/computer science major. Got me a good 13-14 years in the private sector then went the security clearance route once the economy got shaky.

Even now, I tell hopeful computer science/engineering majors to knock out the first 2 years at a community college then finish up at your big 4-year school in your home state....then let your employer pay for your graduate degree.

Quote: (02-05-2012 02:41 PM)UrbanNerd Wrote:  

If you are not majoring in computer science, mathematics (comp-sci emphasis), computer engineering, petroleum engineering, accounting or finance, it is kind of hard to justify spending a lot on college or even going to college...UNLESS you are getting a free ride to one of the Ivy League schools, Stanford, Cal-Berkeley, Georgia Tech or Northwestern.

I lucked out since I was a mathematics/computer science major. Got me a good 13-14 years in the private sector then went the security clearance route once the economy got shaky.

Even now, I tell hopeful computer science/engineering majors to knock out the first 2 years at a community college then finish up at your big 4-year school in your home state....then let your employer pay for your graduate degree.

Guys in the technology field working as temps/contractors rarely get their credentials verified when working through an agency/3rd party.

I personally know a Venezuelan guy who works as a Linux admin and an Oracle technology admin who ONLY does contract work via 1099 or through agencies (never direct/perm hire), and he tells me he does NOT have a college degree, nor is it it ever problem when they perform his background checks because they do not verify them. He's been doing this for almost 9 years. I was amazed to learn he never makes below $80/hr even in todays economy! He really has it down to a science, if it becomes an issue, he'll move on to a dozen other agencies that will give him work without the hassle.

I would guess he would steer clear of any gigs that require security clearance.

Mixx

Quote: (02-05-2012 02:53 PM)MiXX Wrote:  

Quote: (02-05-2012 02:41 PM)UrbanNerd Wrote:  

Guys in the technology field working as temps/contractors rarely get their credentials verified when working through an agency/3rd party.

I personally know a Venezuelan guy who works as a Linux admin and an Oracle technology admin who ONLY does contract work via 1099 or through agencies (never direct/perm hire), and he tells me he does NOT have a college degree, nor is it it ever problem when they perform his background checks because they do not verify them. He's been doing this for almost 9 years. I was amazed to learn he never makes below $80/hr even in todays economy! He really has it down to a science, if it becomes an issue, he'll move on to a dozen other agencies that will give him work without the hassle.

I would guess he would steer clear of any gigs that require security clearance.

Mixx

I guess my question is that are you all saying that most employers do not check credentials PERIOD...or most don't check when a degree(s) are required?

I can understand not verifying if the job does not call for a degree.

Quote: (02-05-2012 02:57 PM)UrbanNerd Wrote:  

I guess my question is that are you all saying that most employers do not check credentials PERIOD...or most don't check when a degree(s) are required?

The latter.

I know Indians working in technology coming to America that flat out lie about their credentials.

Many moons ago, when I was a corporate slave in the late 90's, I was working with an Indian (who was already US citizen at the time) listing he had a Masters in Computer Science credential on his job app. Get this, I had to explain to him what TCP is. It was not an English barrier either, he honestly did not understand what TCP was and how Cisco Routers work.

Now, since he reported directly to me (I inherited him through another dept.), I went to HR and pulled his file. He indeed had placed on his resume he had a Master of Science credential, but no record of his actual degree (or any degree) was found anywhere on his file.

Quote: (02-05-2012 02:57 PM)UrbanNerd Wrote:  

I can understand not verifying if the job does not call for a degree.

That's not what we are saying.

Mixx

I think it makes sense going to a handful of state schools only. For example, Cal State is quite cheap, it used to be around $3500 a year, a couple of years ago, but UC is pretty damn expensive, and I don't think anyone should attend it unless they're rich.

I am looking at my college degree more and more as an insurance policy if shit hits the fan and my other goals don't work out. I did study finance in school and have been working in that field. I think the comment about your first job out of college is correct -- it sets you up on a career trajectory. Its funny how the economy goes down and suddenly you have these "entrepreneurs"

I know cats who went to Harvard Business and are now entrepreneurs -- I say to myself, why the hell did you drop $150K plus to "study" entrepreneurship when some kid named Zuckerberg built a billion dollar company? Being an entrepreneur requires a certain ambition and skill set that won't necessarily be taught in the classrooms.

I am not saying that knowledge is not good - I am studying more about Real Estate on my own and have learned more than college/business school class can teach me. Sure I'll take a class on RE, here and there, but I don't need some degree to be qualified to be an investor.

The only good thing about my degree is that it is known internationally and combined that with my experience, I can probably get a job in Finance. But that's my fall back option.

Mixx, I wish I hadn't spent 140K on that degree either.

MiXX illustrates one of the realities of the world we live in today:

Liars, cheaters, and scammers win. Both in love and business.

Contributor at Return of Kings.  I got banned from twatter, which is run by little bitches and weaklings. You can follow me on Gab.

Be sure to check out the easiest mining program around, FreedomXMR.

Accounting is extremely overrated. CPAs don't earn a whole lot.

Good thing college in Canada isn't extremely expensive. I doubt I'll have any debt when I graduate(Parents are paying a big chunk and I'm taking care of the rest).

I see it as a way to learn new skills, build a large network, and have a lot of sex.

I don't see it as a way to guarantee a job for myself. Its up to me to make my own living, I will not work for someone else unless I have a massive amount of freedom.