rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Why the h*** do people remove cornhusks at the store?

Why the h*** do people remove cornhusks at the store?

Quote: (09-28-2015 03:00 PM)The Beast1 Wrote:  

For some reason the corn we get in the super markets is the worst. I've made the mistake of taking uncleaned corn home and discovered it to have been rotted on the inside. Other times half the kernels are all screwed up on one end. I clean it now to avoid bringing home bad corn.

I don't remember this being an issue when I was growing up as my mom would bring home uncleaned corn that I would have to clean before dinner.

The trick is to peel back about the first quarter of the husk and have a look inside. Kind of like opening a carton of eggs to check if they are all uncracked. Your not only looking for signs of rot, but also of underdeveloped or dried out corn.

As to the people who husk in the store- (1) I agree that leaving the husk on keeps in the moisture until you are ready to prepare, and (2) the corn husk is a great addition to a compost bin.

Messages In This Thread