rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Is the Brazilian real collapsing?

Is the Brazilian real collapsing?

Thanks for the thread. I was there at the end of 2015 and somewhat benefitted from a ~2.65 exchange rate.

If you're planning on a week trip to Rio as a result of this devaluation, I don't think you would derive too much benefit. Your online-booked lodging (whether AirBnB or a hotel) will still be priced in terms of USD, you will eat and purchase goods in tourist-oriented establishments that will quickly adjust their prices or quote you in USD, and as a poster mentioned above, goods merchants and service providers will otherwise treat you as a walking sack of cash.

I see real value (no pun intended) in long-term apt leases or even home purchases, paid in cash. I see value, financial and psychological, in skipping Rio and SP in favor of Belo Horizonte, Fortaleza, etc -- cities that will be more dependent on your dollars.

In terms of policy, I will be glad to see Brasilia finally come to terms with the necessity of tourism and its role in shaping Brazil's future. Travel visa requirement for US, Canadian, Australian, and Chinese passport holders? That garbage, tourism-stifling "reciprocity" policy has to go. So does this notion of a self-sufficient Brazil that answers to nobody but local business and domestic civil society. We're talking about one of the world's most complex and burdensome bureaucracies for foreign investors and foreign nationals seeking citizenship.

As far as reports on the ground, it would be nice to get some qualification as to your location and target demographic prior to talking about a "Brazilian" attitude to foreigners. The daughter of a Joao Pessoa fisherman will not be impacted in the same way as the daughter of a Sao Paulo property developer who will see the value of her trust fund decrease by 65%.

Messages In This Thread